The RedCafe Boxing Thread

RedFish

Decent fight in the end. Haney looked good but finished the fight limp. I think he was hurt more than Linares despite dominating the early /mid rounds. Work to do.

TrustInOle

Wilder needs to work on bloody everything :lol: I can’t see it happening but its the epitome of the ‘puncher chance’
If Wilder was to add one aspect to his game for this fight it should be his movement, he looked awful and had no escape plan when Fury started to smother him. Improve his movement and ring management and he becomes a much more dangerous prospect.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
His foot work was terrible on the back foot and thats not something that you can improve in a short time. Even if Tyson doesn't land that concussive hook to the side of the head, the pressure and clinching will take it's toll on the lighter man eventually. You go again with the same tactic and pay Wilder no respect. Fury can be a little reckless and take the power shots when he's fresh early in the fight.

Tony Babangida

First time I think I can say that I agree with everything John has to say here, seems bitterly disappointed and not how I thought he would react. Something definatley stinks about the whole situation!

Ps. Congrats @Inter Yer Nan
Yeah I think he’s spot on here. The third fight makes no sense for Fury, he has everything to lose and nothing to gain. Should be coming back for a AJ super fight but instead is risking get beat by the one punch wonder. Can see why his Dad thinks he’s being manipulated.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57336020

Promoter Eddie Hearn has announced he will no longer stage fights on Sky Sports and has agreed a "seismic" five-year deal with streaming platform DAZN.

Hearn's Matchroom Sport operation will begin the new deal in July, bringing to an end a long-term agreement with Sky.
It means fight nights will come as part of a DAZN subscription with no plans in the short term for pay-per-view events.

"I felt we couldn't push to the next level [with Sky] without increasing the number of pay-per-views," said Hearn.

World heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua - who is promoted by Hearn - is not part of the DAZN deal initially. Joshua has one fight remaining on his Sky Sports contract, after which his team will decide on where his fights will be shown.

Hearn, 41, told BBC Sport: "The key thing is I felt over the past few years, with the inflation of fight purses in boxing, we have been more reliant on the pay-per-view model. This allows us to make those fight nights and cards as part of a DAZN schedule.

"I don't think pay-per-view will ever be dead but it needs to be for the right occasion. Our plan is to deliver the pay-per-view nights as part of the subscription offering."

Hearn would not reveal the value of his DAZN contract but said it was "seismic". His Matchroom organisation will also have control of production and the delivery of live events on fight nights, which was not the case before.

He believes the new deal offers fans "better value for money" and insists fighters will have greater clarity on what they can earn.

"Over the years we have seen fighters taking risks on pay-per-view events, leaving them with the inability to know how much they get until the 90-day viewing report is in," Hearn added.

"So this gives more security for those fighters to know what they are earning. We can give the fighter the same money without the risk of waiting and hoping on numbers."

Under the terms of the deal, DAZN will stream at least 16 Matchroom UK fight nights per year.

The streaming platform was founded in 2015 and launched a year later. It has since won rights to a host of sports and leagues, including Germany's Bundesliga.

Oggmonster

It seems a huge risk that, I think it might backfire miserably to be honest in the long run.

Joshua will probably end up doing a Mayweather and promoting himself...that's probably part of the reason Hearn was so keen for the Fury fight to happen now so he can get a piece of the pie. If/when Joshua wins his next fight he will be free of any promoter and the next fight in front of him is the biggest fight ever I don't see why he'd need Hearn at that point when he could now do it through Sky who would be keen to have him on board and he'd make a lot more money.

Take Joshua out the mix and also Whyte (who apparently isn't part of this either) and you're not left with that much star power. At the value it is now its well worth the money but it will obviously shoot up and at what point does it no longer become viable to pay X amount of money to watch Cheeseman and Lewis Ritson. Sky's biggest asset is the football, everything else (boxing, cricket, darts, tennis) is just to pad out the service. I think if you asked their customer base whilst people watch them sports they're not going to cancel Sky and get DAZN etc for anything but the football...I'm sure some would but it would be a very low percentage. So now people are left with either paying for sky and DAZN, paying for just Sky or cancelling Sky and having Dazn....whilst 1 and 2 are possible, 3 is very unlikely (so is 1 in all honesty if/when the price goes up.)

Matchroom and anything that is shown on Sky Sports benefits massively from being on Sky Sports News constantly. You'd think some of the matchroom lesser fights at fight of the year candidates the way Sky bangs on and that will be very good for their viewership, that will all disappear and whoever they replace Matchroom with will get that coverage. It is a huge factor in stuff like this. Whilst there's stuff like IFL paying Eddie lip service that is only watched by boxing fans really so gets no where near the eyes that SSN does.

There's interest in some fighters there. Connor Benn being 1, Katie Taylor perhaps although womens boxing has never got the eyes mens does or womens MMA for example. But I just can't see many others that aren't replaceable by Sky. I'm sure short term it looks good but long term I don't think it'll be a great move.

Balljy

So now people are left with either paying for sky and DAZN, paying for just Sky or cancelling Sky and having Dazn
I take your point, but I think Sky have done themselves in with boxing as any even moderately watchable fights are PPV. I know I don't associate Sky at all with boxing because everything I would watch is extra money and there's only a couple of fights a year I would actually be willing to pay for.

Sky can keep charging for one off box office fights where you don't need to be a subscriber and it can be DAZN for everything else.

Oggmonster

I take your point, but I think Sky have done themselves in with boxing as any even moderately watchable fights are PPV. I know I don't associate Sky at all with boxing because everything I would watch is extra money and there's only a couple of fights a year I would actually be willing to pay for.

Sky can keep charging for one off box office fights where you don't need to be a subscriber and it can be DAZN for everything else.
Fair comments and don't disagree with any of it in particular.

I think re the PPV model though that was dictated a lot by the fighters purse. I remember Chisora vs. Usyk or Parker was on PPV and everyone was rightfully pissed off and Hearn had an interview saying the reason it was PPV was because Chisora demands that much money they have no choice to do that.

The articles also state there will be a DAZN PPV model so it could well be the same there.

My main point is are "casual" (I hate that term but can't think of another way to describe it) fans going to switch over to DAZN. If AJ goes on PPV there and you can buy his fights as a one off they'll just do that. I can't see it being sustainable for the others really. Is anyone switching to DAZN as a casual viewer of boxing because of Connor Benn etc? I just can't see it. Equally will people pay the extra service when the price inevitably goes up if Sky have an alternative to Matchroom Boxing on their platform? I imagine not.

Myself for example, I currently have DAZN and Sky cos it's cheap but if DAZN went up in price (obviously a bit not 50p a month or something) I'd cancel DAZN before Sky because I use Sky for far more stuff. What about yourself? More curious as to what others would do.

I think the future is streaming and I'd be surprised if Sky haven't embraced the model in the near future with their massive library of stuff. I just think DAZN at the moment, especially in the UK, offers little in terms of quality to justify paying a load of money for it.

Deery

Dreary
I went through the roster last night on Twitter that came up on my timeline and honestly there wasn’t anyone I would pay a subscription to watch on DAZN, the only one I would be particularly interested in seeing how his career panned out was Gill the rest I couldn’t care less about even Katie Taylor didn’t interest me enough to say yeah I’ll get DAZN and I like watching boxing, can’t see the ordinary causal fan buying into this at all.

Balljy

Fair comments and don't disagree with any of it in particular.

I think re the PPV model though that was dictated a lot by the fighters purse. I remember Chisora vs. Usyk or Parker was on PPV and everyone was rightfully pissed off and Hearn had an interview saying the reason it was PPV was because Chisora demands that much money they have no choice to do that.

The articles also state there will be a DAZN PPV model so it could well be the same there.

My main point is are "casual" (I hate that term but can't think of another way to describe it) fans going to switch over to DAZN. If AJ goes on PPV there and you can buy his fights as a one off they'll just do that. I can't see it being sustainable for the others really. Is anyone switching to DAZN as a casual viewer of boxing because of Connor Benn etc? I just can't see it. Equally will people pay the extra service when the price inevitably goes up if Sky have an alternative to Matchroom Boxing on their platform? I imagine not.

Myself for example, I currently have DAZN and Sky cos it's cheap but if DAZN went up in price (obviously a bit not 50p a month or something) I'd cancel DAZN before Sky because I use Sky for far more stuff. What about yourself? More curious as to what others would do.

I think the future is streaming and I'd be surprised if Sky haven't embraced the model in the near future with their massive library of stuff. I just think DAZN at the moment, especially in the UK, offers little in terms of quality to justify paying a load of money for it.
I would consider myself a casual viewer in your terms as I will only make time to watch the bigger or more interesting fights. If DAZN provided a subscription way to do that I would definitely subscribe, but like you say I'm not going to spend a lot of money to do that unless there's some decent fights every month. I would drop them before Sky due to the other sports Sky offer like yourself.

I think it's a bit chicken and egg though as there will be a lot of casual boxing fans (like myself, but more so) who enjoy boxing but don't watch any at all at the moment due to all the big fights being PPV. If a channel could get the big fights on subscription it would be interesting how many more would buy into that as the option just isn't there at the moment. I suspect there's potentially millions of casual boxing fans not watching any. It's difficult to work out what the fan base would be for subscription boxing as the model isn't there for that at all at the moment in a way which entices viewership.

LDUred

Decent fight in the end. Haney looked good but finished the fight limp. I think he was hurt more than Linares despite dominating the early /mid rounds. Work to do.
He can't box like that against Loma, Tank, and Garcia that's for sure. He more than held his own standing in the pocket but like you say, he seemed to come off worse at the end of the tenth and start of the eleventh.

Adcuth

Recent training footage suggests Wilder has learnt to throw combos. :p
I have no doubt that those clips were picked out to make him look like he's getting better, with the rest of that session not deemed good enough to show the public. Plus, Malik Scott is shite so why would he improve Wilder

Nico87

Was any reason given as to why the Mayweather ‘fight’ is on a Sunday instead of a Saturday, and seenu got as you can apparently only win by knockout does that mean if it goes the distance it’s automatically a draw?

Deery

Dreary
Was any reason given as to why the Mayweather ‘fight’ is on a Sunday instead of a Saturday, and seenu got as you can apparently only win by knockout does that mean if it goes the distance it’s automatically a draw?
I think Floyd said something about not wanting to interfere with any real boxing going on Saturday night so choose Sunday instead, the fight will have no winner it’s an exhibition fight so both draw.

Nico87

I think Floyd said something about not wanting to interfere with any real boxing going on Saturday night so choose Sunday instead, the fight will have no winner it’s an exhibition fight so both draw.
Cheers!

I’m guessing he was preemptively leaving it free then as there didn’t end up being anything to compete with in the end, I’m guessing if affects his bottom line too much he probably won’t be to altruistic in the future. Logan will undoubtedly be bragging about his draw for the foreseeable then, even if he’s inevitably on the end of a one sided beating.

Deery

Dreary
Cheers!

I’m guessing he was preemptively leaving it free then as there didn’t end up being anything to compete with in the end, I’m guessing if affects his bottom line too much he probably won’t be to altruistic in the future. Logan will undoubtedly be bragging about his draw for the foreseeable then, even if he’s inevitably on the end of a one sided beating.
Well when Floyd fought the Little Japanese kick-boxer in an exhibition fight he knocked him down 3 times in 3 rounds so here’s hoping he will do the same to this clown as well.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Well when Floyd fought the Little Japanese kick-boxer in an exhibition fight he knocked him down 3 times in 3 rounds so here’s hoping he will do the same to this clown as well.
Yeah and that guy is a legit kick boxer. Logan Paul is professional laugher-of-suicide. Hopefully he gets his head pummelled.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Will this fight count on floyd’s record? Surely he won’t want a draw if that’s the case

Jack-C20

People have trained to be a boxer their whole lives and then been made to look like amateurs by Mayweather. And then there’s me nervous that this clown will somehow land that one lucky shot knocking Mayweather down, inflating his ego to an even more unimaginable level than it is now. It can’t happen can it? No of course it can’t! But, no it surely can’t happen.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
People have trained to be a boxer their whole lives and then been made to look like amateurs by Mayweather. And then there’s me nervous that this clown will somehow land that one lucky shot knocking Mayweather down, inflating his ego to an even more unimaginable level than it is now. It can’t happen can it? No of course it can’t! But, no it surely can’t happen.
I'm not watching the fight but am hoping for the integrity of boxing he doesn't find that one shot. Head still says Mayweather masterclass. It'll be boring, I doubt if Floyd will be allowed to hurt him. But I'm just hoping the levels show and Floyd barely gets touched as usual.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Not really into youtube scene so dont know much about Paul brothers but cant stand Maywheather so support Logan + would be hilarious if the cnut lost against an amateur :lol:

Bebe

Anyone monitoring the scummy illegal streamers? I'd like to help the cause if anyone can point me in the right direction

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Boxers stamina are a joke. Really impressive cardio from Logan to keep going, do not under estimate that.

lsd

The Oracle
Its probably the perfect outcome Mayweather outclassed him easily but will be criticised for not stopping him and hopefully will realise his time is up now at 44 and never do this again.

Paul looked like the novice he is and only survived by hugging a smaller guy he was over 2 stone heavier for dear life

Oggmonster

Its probably the perfect outcome Mayweather outclassed him easily but will be criticised for not stopping him and hopefully will realise his time is up now at 44 and never do this again.

Paul looked like the novice he is and only survived by hugging a smaller guy he was over 2 stone heavier for dear life
Nah it's a nightmare scenario for boxing really I think.

Mayweather is regarded as one of the best ever (certainly of his generation) and even at that age couldn't stop a beginner fighter....I've not seen 1 second ofi t but I am guessing he didn't particularly try to but that hardly matters.

He has willingly added more fuel to the fire for the attention the Paul brothers get now. As soon as the post match respect dies down you know both of them will be at it saying how he would of won etc and no boxer has come that close to beating Floyd or whatever and people will lap it up.

Can't really blame the 2 of them they make a shit load of money off it though.

UncleBob

I still have absolutely no idea, whatsoever, why people would pay to watch this. Beyond fecking pathetic.

The fact that the two of them made an absolute fecking fortune from all of this is beyond madness

OleBoiii

Let me get this straight: Mayweather dominated the entire match, connected a few decent punches and won on points. Logan "managed" to "survive" all rounds, which is a victory to him.

So neither Mayweather nor Logan really lost, and they both earned a feckton of money? Yeah, I can understand why people are pissed :p

Last edited: