The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Abraxas

He's a weird fighter. Not seen many heavyweights like that. He fights like a giant Antonio Margarito. Face first all out aggression in slow motion and an effective body attack for a heavyweight.

I hope the Parker fight can get remade, I thought that was a quality match. Joyce has some okay names on his record, he really deserves a big fight.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Anyone tuning in for a disgustingly entertaining Chisora shitfest tonight.
I’m expecting him to get behind a crisp and efficient jab, using his slick footwork to box skilfully off the back foot, picking his opponent off with his timing and precision.
And if that doesn’t work he can always march forward and leather the cnut with scattergun hooks

fergies coat

Anyone tuning in for a disgustingly entertaining Chisora shitfest tonight.
I’m expecting him to get behind a crisp and efficient jab, using his slick footwork to box skilfully off the back foot, picking his opponent off with his timing and precision.
And if that doesn’t work he can always march forward and leather the cnut with scattergun hooks
Reminds of the time Hughie Fury lost to Joseph Parker, and Mick Hennersey said it was Shades of Ali in there from Hughie.

LDUred

It hasn't been pretty and it never is with Derek but I think he's done enough to win this.

Abraxas

Great fight considering the age of the pair. Think they're made for each other at this stage!

M15 Red.

Entertaining fight. Hard to pick the winner but can see why the judges thought Chisora did enough. Bring on the trilogy.

LDUred

Chisora might want to rematch Helenius.

That's one loss on Derek's list that I felt he was hard done by. In Derek's defence, he's been competitive in his losses (except vs Vitali), just outclassed.

M15 Red.

What an epic fight, great slug fest, Chsiora the deserved winner by far.

What was going on with that first judge's score card?! Outrageous...
One of Derek's biggest supporters, Bellew, who was ringside, scored the fight close. I think he had it as a draw. It was a good scrap but there was no outrageous judging tonight.

TheReligion

Abusive

Not sure why this popped up on my Youtube suggestions now as it was filmed in 2013, but I found it quite entertaining. Eubank has such a knack for getting under people's skin :lol:.
Thanks for posting that! just been watching and not sure how I missed it.

Collins doesn’t come out of that looking great in my opinion. Clearly ducked Calzaghe and was quite arrogant throughout. Eubank was very clever in how he exposed him.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Collins doesn’t come out of that looking great in my opinion. Clearly ducked Calzaghe and was quite arrogant throughout. Eubank was very clever in how he exposed him.
Aye, that was a bit of a masterclass by Eubank :lol:. In fairness to Collins there seems to be more to the story that he somewhat alluded to but didn't articulate particularly well. I don't think he was at all keen to fight Joe, but the impression I get is that he would have done so as long as it led to the Roy Jones fight. An article from The Independent in 1999:

STEVE COLLINS, the 34-year-old former world champion, has been "shocked into retirement" after he collapsed during a sparring session. The Irishman made his decision after falling face down on the canvas during a work-out with the British middleweight champion, Howard Eastman, at the Lennox Lewis gymnasium in London.

Within minutes of the collapse, Collins, who has not boxed since July 1997, was taken to hospital where he received tests and a brain scan, which did not reveal any signs of ill health. The former world middle and super-middleweight champion was set to return to the ring next month after nearly two years on the sidelines.

However, his trainer, Jimmy Tibbs, said: "When Steve got himself together after they had done the tests and he had been given the all-clear, we all agreed that the best thing for him to do was to stop boxing.

"I was delighted when he told me that he wouldn't be boxing anymore. He said that he believed it was a warning for him and he needed that to make him stop boxing.

"He needed something like that to shock him into retirement. He's not skint and it's the right decision - Steve had said at the press conference for his comeback that he wasn't coming back for the money. To see a tough guy like Steve Collins collapsing to the canvas like that was very frightening."

Collins was due to contest a non-title bout on the supporting bill to Joe Calzaghe's World Boxing Organisation super-middleweight defence against Rick Thornberry in Cardiff on 5 June. He had then lined up an autumn meeting with the Welshman in an attempt to regain the world title, with the promise of fight against the World Boxing Council light-heavyweight champion, Roy Jones, if he won.

It is understood that Collins has returned home to Dublin where it is expected he will formally announce his retirement after a career in which he enjoyed epic victories over the likes of Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank. Collins won the WBO super-middleweight title in March 1995 by outpointing Eubank. He made seven successful defences, including a repeat victory over Eubank and two against Benn.

Eastman's trainer, Ronnie Davies, said: "I was terrified when I saw Steve falling forward on to the canvas. If there was a punch it couldn't have been that hard because we had told them to take it easy."

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Cracking fight there on Sky Boxxer between Billam Smith and Chamberlain. Rematch would be great

SambaBoy

Yeah good fight. I think CBS would struggle at world level but no shame in that. Maybe see the rematch with Riakorphe.

G-manc

What are peoples thoughts on Olympian Ben Whittker who was on the undercard?

Seems talennted but a bit of a helmet considering it was his pro debut. Good signing for Sky though.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Collins sister lived next door to me growing up and he was there at the house regular, very arrogant fella. His two nephews were decent amateurs
Collins is a typical Cabra Dub with shades of a traveler in there

TheReligion

Abusive
Collins sister lived next door to me growing up and he was there at the house regular, very arrogant fella. His two nephews were decent amateurs
Collins is a typical Cabra Dub with shades of a traveler in there
The key question. Was she fit? Or was it actually Dawn Collins many years ago…

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
AJ vs Usyk

Who will win?

I think Usyk will do him again - with no trouble.
Depends if AJ really has forgotten how to punch people. If he goes in scared and tries to outbox the guy again he's fecked.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Thing is.... Usyk was marked up, AJ had some success. But Usyk is just the busier fighter and he will win the majority/all of the rounds based on his movement and output, AJ is too slow to read him.

Abraxas

Joshua needs to let the heavy artillery go and damage Usyk. I do think he has to do it with some kind of educated pressure though. People keep saying he should just go in there and slug away and catch Usyk but the massive problem with that is the big roidhead won't last 6 or 7 rounds swinging away. He's not got the stamina and he's not that durable. It worked when he was 12-0 fighting nobodies. So he has to find some kind of balance, you can't just rely on a big KO, he has to keep chances alive into the mid-late rounds too. Tough against a fighter of Usyks class.

G-manc

I'm not a massive Joshua fan. I feel he is mentally weak and people saying he needs to press and be aggressive are forgetting that he can easily be hurt himself and is unlikely to be able to maintain that type of attack over the duration of a fight.

I also think he has previously been poor at pressing a fight as he lacks the guile and timing.

G-manc

Aye, that was a bit of a masterclass by Eubank :lol:. In fairness to Collins there seems to be more to the story that he somewhat alluded to but didn't articulate particularly well. I don't think he was at all keen to fight Joe, but the impression I get is that he would have done so as long as it led to the Roy Jones fight. An article from The Independent in 1999:

I was around gyms a fair bit at that time and that's the story i'd heard.

Given Collins largely relied on his durability, maybe he realised he was finished.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can’t see Joshua winning but if he wants to he just needs to go for the knockout. Go full Wilder.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Has Usyk even trained properly in recent months? He was in Ukraine, no?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Benn v Eubank has been made. Thoughts?
DAZN but PPV? Hearn said only the huge fights on DAZN would be PPV and this is not anywhere near that category.

Good fight due to the history but just expect Eubanks experience and weight advantage to be too much for Benn.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They're both good fighters and by all rights Eubank should win, but I just think Benn has a ferocity that Eubank doesn't really and have a suspicion he's going to pull something out.