The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Abraxas

Zhang's left is great. Seriously quick for a man that size. JJ starting to get into his plodding rhythm though. Still open as feck though.

cj_sparky

Defending punches with your face never works.

Joyce was quicker in a couple of recent fights I'd seen of him, he was back to his slow ponderous self tonight when he needed to be on his toes.

Abraxas

Fair play to Zhang. Brilliant performance. I guess JJ's defence finally caught up. The chin might be tough enough but his face fell apart.

Abraxas

I've not seen him fight before but to me it didn't seem like he was putting as much into his punches as he could have. He didn't look like hurting Zhang at all.
That's pretty much how his punches always look in fairness. Arm punching. He's more of a grinder than a punishing hitter. He probably lost a bit of energy and snap from getting rocked too.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Wow. I was fully on the Joyce train. Utterly dismantled tonight. Well done Zhang. Perhaps Joe bite too much than he could chew tonight with Zhang, someone who could go toe to toe with him. That left landed every time Zhang through it.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Did he even prepare for fighting that guy or Warren just sold him as a Chinese lump from nowhere?

Stevondo8

Didn’t seem like there was any power behind anything Joyce did. Distinctly average. Nowhere near top tier. Chisora probably best fight out there for him.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That zhang threw a serious fast heavy left with ease, Joyce just throwing meaningless fanny punches never even looked like hurting him

Abraxas

Shows how bad Parker is too. A guy that kept getting built up into a contender in big fights when he was nothing but extremely mediocre. Joyce destroyed him!

I think Joyce is still a pretty tough guy, if his face held up be would have still been in there pressing the fight down the stretch. Could still make some exciting matchups. Whyte would be great for example. It's knocked his title aspirations well back though. Or maybe not knowing boxing...the more vulnerable you look the more likely you are...see Dubois.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Styles make fights. Joyce still beats the majority of heavyweights out there for me. I think he just faced his kryptonite tonight.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
No coming back from that for Joyce. All that was missing was Mo Sizlack flying in on a fan to rescue him.

kidbob

Styles make fights. Joyce still beats the majority of heavyweights out there for me. I think he just faced his kryptonite tonight.
Nah. Fury and Usyk make him look silly with his lack of speed (Usyk already did in the amateurs). AJ beats him and Wilder KOs him early (his chin is good but you can't beat Wilder with that shit defence). Joyce is an ok fighter but that's all he is. Just got over-hyped like a lot of fighter do. Outside of his endurance and stamina he had nothing to trouble the best guys. Zhang also gets smoked by the top 4. For me Ruiz before he won the title is the only fringe guy who actually was good enough to beat the top guys. Unfortunately he lost focus after beating AJ.

LDUred

Zhang vs Joshua would be a fun fight whatever people say about Zhang's limitations. I'd like to see it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just shows where boxing is at really. Fury and Usyk are clear of anyone else and it’s the only fight worth doing. The rest are either not good enough or are broken men. Doesn’t matter how much you try to spin the narrative to hype up a fight, there’s no point doing Fury vs X or Usyk vs X.

G-manc

Was always going to happen eventually when you block everything with your head. I can’t imagine it’s very good for his long term health to ship so many flush shots.

Pirlo'sBeard

He got exposed. He's got a great chin but zero defence. The likes of Wilder would undoubtedly knock him out.

Baneofthegame

To me Joyce looked even slower last night than he usually does, he was basically stuck to the spot for the first two rounds which allowed Zhang to basically unload his best weapon on him at will.

By the time he stepped it up his eye was already basically closed and it was already too late.

Zhang should now have two good wins on his resume as he should also have Hrgovic W as well.

I'm sure Fury will probably come out and magically make a fight with him now.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Joyce is so slow, his punches come with a postage stamp.

I don’t think they should go for a rematch.

lsd

The Oracle
Wow. I was fully on the Joyce train. Utterly dismantled tonight. Well done Zhang. Perhaps Joe bite too much than he could chew tonight with Zhang, someone who could go toe to toe with him. That left landed every time Zhang through it.

Exactly why were you on the Joyce train can I ask? He has never looked anything but limited to me

G-manc

Joyce is so slow, his punches come with a postage stamp.

I don’t think they should go for a rematch.
I feel like he may have come back into it if his eye wasn’t shut. Zhang was tiring like he did down the stretch with Hrgovic.

I don’t think a rematch is cut and dried if Joyce comes in heavier and makes a conscious effort to start a bit quicker.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Exactly why were you on the Joyce train can I ask? He has never looked anything but limited to me
Because he gave Parker the worst beating of his life and Parker to me was a sort of gatekeeper.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Yeah looks like our hopes are in the hands of the Saudis for any meaningful fight to ever take place amongst the top 4 (AJ Usyk aside).

G-manc

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22060017/tyson-fury-zhilei-zhang-fight-china/amp/

"Mega money," are the operative words; Fury will fight anyone for that Saudi-grade cash.

I predict he'll have 3-4 fights at that kind of pay grade against literally whoever can make it possible before calling it a day.

He's not interested in legacy. He wants as much money as possible.
Ruiz in July is the rumour.

If Fury then fights Usyk or Joshua in December in Saudi I think the breakdown in talks last month will be largely forgotten.