The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not as good as he thinks he is; looks like he’s primed for a spectacular KO if he doesn’t stop offering his face. Got caught loads reflexively in the 3 rds I saw. Will have to actually box properly going up.

the_cliff

Naz from Wish. Next to nothing in these punches.
Tbf to Naz Whittaker really takes it to another level. One day he will get flattened if he doesn't learn. Naz wouldn't start dancing mid fight and always had his eyes on his opponent, I can't remember seeing a boxer literally look away as much as Whittaker does.

It's a shame really because he's got all the raw attributes to be an incredible boxer, he just needs to dial the showboating down.

Habs

What separates these types of fighters from Naz is that he had unbelievable power in both hands

Dobba

Tbf to Naz Whittaker really takes it to another level. One day he will get flattened if he doesn't learn. Naz wouldn't start dancing mid fight and always had his eyes on his opponent, I can't remember seeing a boxer literally look away as much as Whittaker does.

It's a shame really because he's got all the raw attributes to be an incredible boxer, he just needs to dial the showboating down.
Naz could take the piss, admittedly nowhere near to the level of this guy, because opponents feared the power when he knuckled down. There's nothing to be fearful of on that front.

the_cliff

Naz could take the piss, admittedly nowhere near to the level of this guy, because opponents feared the power when he knuckled down. There's nothing to be fearful of on that front.
Of course, Naz had real power but Naz would never start dancing mid bout and just look away and point to his corner like some of the weird stuff Whittaker does. Floyd would also take the piss a little despite not really having the power (especially towards the end of his career) but I feel the whole dancing and looking away thing will end up in a big embarrassment for him if he doesn't cut it out.

There's a difference between fighting with your hands down and trying to bait your opponent/ taking the piss when your opponent is practically finished than starting to breakdance and look away in the middle of a combination. He's overdoing it imo and I'm not really a fan of it.

Withnail

Of course, Naz had real power but Naz would never start dancing mid bout and just look away and point to his corner like some of the weird stuff Whittaker does. Floyd would also take the piss a little despite not really having the power (especially towards the end of his career) but I feel the whole dancing and looking away thing will end up in a big embarrassment for him if he doesn't cut it out.

There's a difference between fighting with your hands down and trying to bait your opponent/ taking the piss when your opponent is practically finished than starting to breakdance and look away in the middle of a combination. He's overdoing it imo and I'm not really a fan of it.
He looks like a dope and as you say there's no real point to it. He's making a fool of himself, more so than the opponent.

youngrell

Such an annoying little twat, but I did laugh at the little bop on the top of the opponent’s head.

Glorio

What a fight that was. Wardley and Clarke both exhausted
Dead on their feet ... Clarke collapsed to the floor at the end! Thought it was a fair result but Clarke needs to up his cardio seriously. He was very economical with his shots and yet tired visibly

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Dead on their feet ... Clarke collapsed to the floor at the end! Thought it was a fair result but Clarke needs to up his cardio seriously. He was very economical with his shots and yet tired visibly
Didn't think he looked too bad, Wardley was visibly way more tired even though his nose wasn't broken. Clarke is 270 I think it's always gonna be tough to do 12 at a high pace. Needs to use his weight more up-close.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yup ... Thought he did really well - all that noisemaking from Chamberlain was weird. Let the guy enjoy his win.
Why stand and trade with Lawal? Outbox him and keep moving
Nice one, read after that he apparently fractured his rib in round one.

Devil81

Whittaker is just coming across pathetic, its been done before by Naz but he delivered the big shots so it was entertaining. Also he'd do his hip shake and drop his hands almost for the crowds entertainment. Whittaker is doing it to totally belittle his opponent and to that isn't a good look.

Whatever ever we say though, he's got people talking about him. I heard Ben Shalom talking about him on talkshite the other day saying he's demanding his hotel room be swapped. The interviewer asked if he was getting above his station as a pretty early stage pro but the reality is he's being talked about an awful lot and is always going to be an interest name on any card given everyone is hoping he gets knocked the feck out.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Whittaker is just coming across pathetic, its been done before by Naz but he delivered the big shots so it was entertaining. Also he'd do his hip shake and drop his hands almost for the crowds entertainment. Whittaker is doing it to totally belittle his opponent and to that isn't a good look.

Whatever ever we say though, he's got people talking about him. I heard Ben Shalom talking about him on talkshite the other day saying he's demanding his hotel room be swapped. The interviewer asked if he was getting above his station as a pretty early stage pro but the reality is he's being talked about an awful lot and is always going to be an interest name on any card given everyone is hoping he gets knocked the feck out.
Ben Whittaker is an absolutely top lad, there's a lot of false narratives about him at the moment.

I'm highly unsurprised though considering his showboating doesn't at all fit the stereotypical British view of what a fighter should be, hence the instant Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Glorio

Which I suppose is some going from the business angle. Apparently A-list celebrities were hailing him after the Graidia performance and he now has over a million Instagram followers, so he's definitely making noises.

From a fighting point of view, I don't buy that it's not disrespectful because it is. That said, it was markedly reduced when the fight got tougher last night. There's the old cliché about levels in the sport and the higher he goes, I suspect the less the showboating.

Glorio

Joseph Parker with the greatest call-out of all time to Dillian Whyte

:lol: :lol: :lol: so good! Dillian barely survived that fight if he's honest, so it is worth a rerun.
That said, White probably needs one more tune up fight, else he's definitely getting beat up. He looked 'messy' against the German dude and you could see he was so frustrated that he didn't get more rounds in.

Devil81

Ben Whittaker is an absolutely top lad, there's a lot of false narratives about him at the moment.

I'm highly unsurprised though considering his showboating doesn't at all fit the stereotypical British view of what a fighter should be, hence the instant Tall Poppy Syndrome.
Look up the Lomenchko fight where he dropped his hands and turned his back and waved his opponent on as he was levels above. Its the same with Whittaker, it's total disrespect of your opponent and not in any way a show of skill.

Obviously history shows of fighters like Ali doing the shuffle and Naz doing his hip shake. We've also had other top level fighters doing different bits and bobs over the years but they've always been for the entertainment of the fans.

Whittaker is disrespecting his opponents and as others have said if he does stop it the higher the level he moves up the more dickish it makes it now. I really hate it if I'm honest as I love the sport and don't think it needs an more circuses given the YouTube shite going on.

Withnail

Look up the Lomenchko fight where he dropped his hands and turned his back and waved his opponent on as he was levels above. Its the same with Whittaker, it's total disrespect of your opponent and not in any way a show of skill.

Obviously history shows of fighters like Ali doing the shuffle and Naz doing his hip shake. We've also had other top level fighters doing different bits and bobs over the years but they've always been for the entertainment of the fans.

Whittaker is disrespecting his opponents and as others have said if he does stop it the higher the level he moves up the more dickish it makes it now. I really hate it if I'm honest as I love the sport and don't think it needs an more circuses given the YouTube shite going on.
Well this is it. This bloke will get beaten when he meets top level boxers who are more disciplined. He claims to have a good boxing IQ but you can't just turn it on or off. Muscle memory is important and he'll get caught out acting the maggot like this. It'll be a weakness in his game at the highest level.

SambaBoy

I think he will get to world level and probably get quite far even with his current style.

Naturally he'll have to cut down on the showboating and leaving his chin exposed for no reason otherwise he's going to run into trouble. Depends on his mentality and whether he can recognise that no matter how talented he is, he'll have to learn how to grind through some fights.

By time he gets to world level, Beterbiev will no longer be around however Bivol still will be and there's no way he showboats like that v Bivol unless he's looking to get KO'd. The domestic scene at light-heavy is very good - likes of Yarde, Smith, Buatsi, CBS & Azeez.

Devil81

I think he will get to world level and probably get quite far even with his current style.

Naturally he'll have to cut down on the showboating and leaving his chin exposed for no reason otherwise he's going to run into trouble. Depends on his mentality and whether he can recognise that no matter how talented he is, he'll have to learn how to grind through some fights.

By time he gets to world level, Beterbiev will no longer be around however Bivol still will be and there's no way he showboats like that v Bivol unless he's looking to get KO'd. The domestic scene at light-heavy is very good - likes of Yarde, Smith, Buatsi, CBS & Azeez.
It's not the leaving of his chin open that actually bothers me, lots of fighters do this to tempt fighters out of their defensive stance. It's the weird dancing and hoping on one leg that bothers me, it just looks totally pathetic.

youngrell

It's not the leaving of his chin open that actually bothers me, lots of fighters do this to tempt fighters out of their defensive stance. It's the weird dancing and hoping on one leg that bothers me, it just looks totally pathetic.
I'm sure if he continues to do that as he moves up in levels he will get a nice humbling a la Hamed vs Barrera.

I don't mind a bit of showboating, but doing it vs clearly outmatched opponents isn't a great look.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Why was Naz entertainment for the fans but Whittaker isn't? Double standards. Like I said, great lad who is getting a lot of so-called UK boxing fans wanting to tear him down already just because he's a showman.

Withnail

Why was Naz entertainment for the fans but Whittaker isn't? Double standards. Like I said, great lad who is getting a lot of so-called UK boxing fans wanting to tear him down already just because he's a showman.
A showman? You find that crap he pulls entertaining?

Naz wasn't up to anything like the carry on this fella is up to and it was disrespectful of him too. Showboating when your opponent is levels below is pathetic.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm sure if he continues to do that as he moves up in levels he will get a nice humbling a la Hamed vs Barrera.

I don't mind a bit of showboating, but doing it vs clearly outmatched opponents isn't a great look.
Because of the bolded above. Naz carried the same energy vs all opponents and even to his demise; Whittaker looks like a bully and the guy in the gym with a higher grade going into the weaker classes to make a mockery of clearly inferior opponents, who are just trying to see out the session remembering what they’ve been taught.

If Whittaker does a Naz, fair enough, but he already massively toned down his antics and was still getting caught, which suggests the more he goes up, the less he’ll act as he has been doing.

Pernell Whittaker
Roy Jones Junior
Naseem Hamed
Sugar Ray Leonard
Mohammed Ali Cassius Clay
Willie Pep

And so forth on the sliding scale; these guys are idolised because they did what they did against anyone with no regard for their standing whilst being in clear and implicit danger most of the time displaying the massive element of risk as infuriated opponents tried to take their head off at every turn. They weren’t called bullies or regarded as fighters preying on the weak because they backed their arrogance and indifference every time. It doesn’t look a fraction as impressive if done against opponents that stand no chance from the outset.

Whittaker carrying that same energy they did vs any and everyone he fights will earn respect, begrudging or otherwise, but right now he looks like every gym’s worst nightmare - that guy everyone below him hopes someone above him absolutely destroys for them. Whatever he is outside the ring doesn’t matter if the perception of him in it is a mostly negative one.

Time will tell what he is and whether he can cash the cheques he’s handing out - he’s got a target on his back and let’s see if he handles that with the same energy given to relative no hopers.

Any excuse to post something like this :drool:

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Wilder v Zhang in the Matchroom v Queensberry event

also Dubois v Hrgovic and Beterbiov v Bivol

The trailer is quality

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Wilder v Zhang in the Matchroom v Queensberry event

also Dubois v Hrgovic and Beterbiov v Bivol

The trailer is quality

Such a good card, can't wait.

Funny though they were all pretending like this was going to be a complete lottery and Matchroom and Queensbury weren't just making these matchups in the background... everyone in boxing knew all 5 matchups about 3 weeks ago.

Think Zhang stylistically is well tailored to Wilder so I fancy him to comeback with a KO here. Hrgovic I think will be too much for Dubois and possibly force a late stoppage.

Delighted Ford-Ball is happening that's going to be a banger. Ammo-Sheeraz is an outstanding fight as well that's too close to call. Richards should comfortably beat Hutchinson.

G-manc

I reckon Hearn has taken a punt on Wilder so he can make the AJ fight if he wins, however, I think Zhang will knock him out.

I’m surprised Hearn has picked Wilder as captain.

Revan

Assumptionman
I guess the joke has been made before but Wilder vs Zhang has to be the unstoppable force vs the unmovable object. Wilder has (or at least had) the heaviest punch in boxing, and Zhang has the best chin.

Think that Zhang wins this. Wilder is completely out of confidence since Fury broke him, and even if he heavily connects, Zhang should be able to continue.

SuperiorXI

I guess the joke has been made before but Wilder vs Zhang has to be the unstoppable force vs the unmovable object. Wilder has (or at least had) the heaviest punch in boxing, and Zhang has the best chin.

Think that Zhang wins this. Wilder is completely out of confidence since Fury broke him, and even if he heavily connects, Zhang should be able to continue.
If Wilder connects Zhang won't get up IMO. No chance.