The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Glorio

There is a rematch clause as Fury confirmed last night. That was at Usyk’s request and one of the reasons Usyk walked away from the fight the first time they tried to make it.
I wouldn't believe anything Fury says.

youngrell

Devastating finish from Joshua, fair play. Ref was in a tough spot, there would likely be uproar if he’d stopped it prior to the KO but at the same time Ngannou was very stationery.

Joshua is such a weirdo isn’t he? His post fight interviews are bizarre.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
So, Fury picked up $50 million for feck all training and preparing for the fight which earned him such amount. Peak McGregor stuff that.

Happy AJ dismantled him for the sake of boxing. Gulf that's been seen should be the actual one when you meet a top heavyweight.

Plastic Evra

On Netflix too. How is that going to work live?
I'm sure Netflix can have a live broadcast stream that will be up on the main page (with a minute delay or something) that will later stay and work like any other program they feature once the event ended.

I don't know they ever did and there's specific challenges (load management and the like) but they have the money to hire the expertise.

G-manc

I wouldn't believe anything Fury says.
He didn’t say that last night but it’s well documented.

To be fair, it’s a standard stip for any champion - why would it not be?

Now Eddie Hearn and Frank Warren are working together, it should be easy to sort now anyway.

Whoever wins between Fury & Usyk will have to drop the IBF strap for the rematch anyway; so in theory, Joshua could fight Hrgovic on the undercard of the Fury-Usyk rematch then face the winner. If Joshua wanted less risk, he could go Whyte or possibly Parker.

Joshua was impressive last night but I don’t think it’s any secret he carries more single shot power than Fury. It doesn’t mean Tyson can’t win. He’s flawed as a character and has had flat performances leading into good ones before so people shouldn’t write him off, especially now he’s working with Greg Marriott again on the S&C side of things.

People are so fickle; they were calling for AJ to quit after the Usyk losses and he was laboured against Franklin and, to a lesser extent, Helenius a couple of fights ago. Now people are writing off Fury over his Ngannou performance. I actually think it might have been good for him and has given him a wake up call but we shall see.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Who cares if Tyson trained or not for the fight, that’s on him. Bottom line is he got knocked down and almost lost to someone in their first professional boxing match. It’s another blot on his record. At this point he needs to win the Uysk fight to even be any where near the discussion of top 10 heavyweights, let alone amongst the best.
Indeed. Doesn't matter if he was half assed or not, he looked like shit against an MMA guy and was knocked down.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Who cares if Tyson trained or not for the fight, that’s on him. Bottom line is he got knocked down and almost lost to someone in their first professional boxing match. It’s another blot on his record. At this point he needs to win the Uysk fight to even be any where near the discussion of top 10 heavyweights, let alone amongst the best.
Nobody cares. I don’t think even Tyson Fury cares. He got paid for that farce regardless and would see it as a complete irrelevance in his legacy as a fighter. It’s just worth noting in the context of this thread, which was full of UFC fans wildly overrating Ngannou afterwards.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So, Fury picked up $50 million for feck all training and preparing for the fight which earned him such amount. Peak McGregor stuff that.

Happy AJ dismantled him for the sake of boxing. Gulf that's been seen should be the actual one when you meet a top heavyweight.
Yeah boxing needed this for its own sake. It's a real shame for Francis and you can tell there was a real point of realisation for him in the post-fight conference (although I have no idea how they OK someone who got so badly knocked out to conduct interviews within the hour :nono:).

Joshua told him to not give up, but that's exactly how the gulf is supposed to look.

Francis will have lost his mystique now, so those crazy pay days are over unless he takes the arduous journey to becoming a rounded pro and earns big money off the merit of that.

The biggest loser in all this is Fury, however, he's really being looked down on since that last display and he has to reestablish dominance, if he has it.

I really think he's slowing a bit and losing some of his reflexive counters, but that remains to be seen especially so since he looks the fittest and leanest of his career in preparation for this upcoming fight.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Can't say Fury is a loser until after he fights Usyk

the_cliff

Nobody cares. I don’t think even Tyson Fury cares. He got paid for that farce regardless and would see it as a complete irrelevance in his legacy as a fighter. It’s just worth noting in the context of this thread, which was full of UFC fans wildly overrating Ngannou afterwards.
This. In regards to Fury's boxing legacy it's completely irrelevant, especially if he goes on to beat Usyk. Fury is a special type of boxer, he can look completely out of form and out of sync against the bums of the heavyweight division and then look like prime Muhammad Ali in his next fight. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with Usyk.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I'm sure Netflix can have a live broadcast stream that will be up on the main page (with a minute delay or something) that will later stay and work like any other program they feature once the event ended.

I don't know they ever did and there's specific challenges (load management and the like) but they have the money to hire the expertise.
Right, yeah makes sense.

Dan_F

Well, people do care, because it’s used as an excuse for why he performed so poorly. If you think it’s an irrelevance in his legacy that’s your opinion, I don’t think it reflects well at all.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
My predictions are normally crap, so I will gloat with this one.
Correct. And my early prediction is Joshua runs through him in less than 3 rounds. Full credit to Francis, but Fury is Fury and full of up and down performances. AJ will take this fight seriously after what Francies did in the Fury fight.
The Fury happened because Fury underestimated Francis and ,more to the point, has always been a up and down fighter in terms of performances.

Even though I've long said Fury is over rated I'm still on the fence about him vs Usyk. One thing is for sure. Joshua will be praying for a Fury win.

And if the rematch clause is true than I don't know what fight Joshua takes in the meantime.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah boxing needed this for its own sake. It's a real shame for Francis and you can tell there was a real point of realisation for him in the post-fight conference (although I have no idea how they OK someone who got so badly knocked out to conduct interviews within the hour :nono:).

Joshua told him to not give up, but that's exactly how the gulf is supposed to look.

Francis will have lost his mystique now, so those crazy pay days are over unless he takes the arduous journey to becoming a rounded pro and earns big money off the merit of that.

The biggest loser in all this is Fury, however, he's really being looked down on since that last display and he has to reestablish dominance, if he has it.

I really think he's slowing a bit and losing some of his reflexive counters, but that remains to be seen especially so since he looks the fittest and leanest of his career in preparation for this upcoming fight.
Agree fully that purely from a sporting perspective it reflects badly on Fury (along with your comment about putting someone to interview after being so badly knocked out), but a cynic part of me can't help not to almost admire a man picking up $50 million while obviously doing feck all to earn it purely based on people idiocy to have so much interest in these events which are pretty much a farce. I did watch Fury against Ngannou based on my curiosity, so am obviously part of the problem as well, but last night I really thought the circus is not worth it. Make no mistake, Conor did the same thing against Floyd only Floyd decided to dance along with the scenario and make it somewhat interesting (as much as he could).

Which is another reason for hats off to AJ as well. Zero interest in anything similiar and just 100% in it making the fight what should be in reality. I really hope these kind of events start to feck off/fade away along with Jake Paul's of this world.

OverratedOpinion

I wonder if someone will have to die before they stop these freakshow/crossover fights.

Anyone who had anything to do with that last night should feel embarrassed and thank their lucky stars that Ngannou wasn't seriously hurt or worse.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I'm sure I heard somewhere that he's going for the Tyson record (youngest heavyweight champ in history), if he is, he'll have to start fighting the top guys soon.
I mean there's zero chance of that happening, he'd have to win a belt in the next 12 months.

Why rush also, the kid had like 25 amateur fights.

Plastic Evra

I wonder if someone will have to die before they stop these freakshow/crossover fights.

Anyone who had anything to do with that last night should feel embarrassed and thank their lucky stars that Ngannou wasn't seriously hurt or worse.
Give or take three actual pro boxers die every year or so (recently that Japanese boxer) and it barely registers.

I wonder if some of the YouTubers will get neurological damage two decades from now.

Dan_F

Give or take three actual pro boxers die every year or so (recently that Japanese boxer) and it barely registers.

I wonder if some of the YouTubers will get neurological damage two decades from now.
Probably but I’m not sure it’ll be from the punches. I would be amazed if there wasn’t a lot of drugs (performance enhancing and otherwise) involved.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Wouldn’t notice anyway ;)

I think in reality the YouTuber vs YouTuber fights are pretty safe. The aren’t reaching absolute peak exhaustion in fights then taking a shattering blow to the head, it’s all that much softer as they’re not pros

Plastic Evra

Wouldn’t notice anyway ;)
:lol:

I think in reality the YouTuber vs YouTuber fights are pretty safe. The aren’t reaching absolute peak exhaustion in fights then taking a shattering blow to the head, it’s all that much softer as they’re not pros
And they don't do the same amount of sparring.

But the poster above you made a good point it's probably ridiculously lax with PED usage.

All that said, that Ngannou KO is the most brutal one in a while, just the man being ragdolled. Really goes to show a boxing novice with no adequate boxing defense shouldn't get in the ring. But even if something tragic happened, I think that Ngannou being a prize fighter would have muted the controversy somewhat.

lsd

The Oracle
Well, people do care, because it’s used as an excuse for why he performed so poorly. If you think it’s an irrelevance in his legacy that’s your opinion, I don’t think it reflects well at all.

It was an exhibition bout which he treated as such. He looked terrible as a result but in terms of his overall career it's completely irrelevant

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I mean there's zero chance of that happening, he'd have to win a belt in the next 12 months.

Because he’ll already beat anyone in the division. Watch him box. His boxing intelligence is that of a seasoned pro and better. It just comes naturally to him. The way he sets up traps. His defensive intelligence as well. The speed & accuracy of punching is that of a middleweight or lower. And he packs a punch. His footwork is 2nd to none. He’s easily the best heavyweight I’ve seen since a young Mike Tyson. And the rumors are he’s already knocking out the best British heavyweight boxers in sparring. He’s definitely the real deal is Itauma, already. The problem he’ll have is finding opponents willing to fight him.

Dan_F

It was an exhibition bout which he treated as such. He looked terrible as a result but in terms of his overall career it's completely irrelevant
Except it wasn’t an exhibition. It’s such a weird excuse, it was his choice not to prepare properly (if that happened) and he will be rightly criticised for that. A lot of people feel his career is overrated already, so you must be able to see how that fight doesn’t help his cause.

lsd

The Oracle
Except it wasn’t an exhibition. It’s such a weird excuse, it was his choice not to prepare properly (if that happened) and he will be rightly criticised for that. A lot of people feel his career is overrated already, so you must be able to see how that fight doesn’t help his cause.

If he retired right now he would be remembered as the best heavyweight of his era and I'm not even a Fury fan.

It's just a fact. Noone is going to judge him on the Ngannou fight as that's madness.

He will be remembered for beating Klitschko and the Wilder fights.

It's pathetic him and Joshua haven't fought but that's on both of them and not down to one ducking the other. They both are guilty of holding out and then messing the fight up by losing bring injured or taking an easier option.

By the time they do fight if they ever do they still probably both be in their 40s and i couldn't care less what happens

If he retired right now he would be remembered as the best heavyweight of his era and I'm not even a Fury fan.

It's just a fact.
That’s not a fact at all, as right now Usyk looks like he’ll beat him to me, and Joshua has shown better performances against a few opponents Fury looked ropey against.

If he retires now I’ll remember him as a character, but one that bored the feck out of us v Klitschko and had some fun bouts against a guy we all argued was a shite boxer that’d get found out when he moved up to fighting actual top pros.
2 shite boxers in Wilder and the MMA bloke have given him a World of trouble.

I’m not calling a guy the best of his generation when his top two achievements were possibly the most boring fight I’ve ever witnessed and a win against a a shite boxer that was made impressive due to that boxers power and Fury’s long time out of the ring.
I think AJ would’ve battered Wilder and his fight against Wlad was much more entertaining.

I also thought Parker’s performance against Wilder was much more impressive due to him always being in control and unlike Fury not looking like a bloke who might get into big trouble at any moment. Parker simply showed Wilder up for the shite boxer he is.

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

I think they are slightly different issues. Whilst any fighter dying is tragic, for the most part they are freak incidents between two people who know how to defend themselves against eachother.

Last night was literally like a lamb to the slaughter. Things like that, 60 year olds fighting guys in their mid twenties ect. Are almost directly asking for someone to get seriously, seriously hurt.

OverratedOpinion

But even if something tragic happened, I think that Ngannou being a prize fighter would have muted the controversy somewhat
Maybe but maybe it would stop MMA fighters like Kamuru Usman wanting to box Canelo or Sean O'Malley wanting to fight Ryan Garcia.

If you go a bit deeper you could potentially lay some of the blame at the feet of the UFC for their appalling revenue distribution pushing fighters to chase fights that they are woefully unequipped for.

Plastic Evra

Maybe but maybe it would stop MMA fighters like Kamuru Usman wanting to box Canelo or Sean O'Malley wanting to fight Ryan Garcia.

If you go a bit deeper you could potentially lay some of the blame at the feet of the UFC for their appalling revenue distribution pushing fighters to chase fights that they are woefully unequipped for.
That's fair and it would have a big deal regardless.
That said, I think the Tyson-Paul exhib will probably be a gentlemanly glorified sparring session. There's not that many total novices being taken on their offers to fight elite pro boxers. Ngannou is a bit of an anomaly and one that wouldn't have happened if Fury wasn't so frivolous the last time around.

Dan_F

It's just a fact. Noone is going to judge him on the Ngannou fight as that's madness.

He will be remembered for beating Klitschko and the Wilder fights.

It's pathetic him and Joshua haven't fought but that's on both of them and not down to one ducking the other. They both are guilty of holding out and then messing the fight up by losing bring injured or taking an easier option.

By the time they do fight if they ever do they still probably both be in their 40s and i couldn't care less what happens
That is an opinion, not a fact. You cannot make judgments like that until it’s all said and done. If he beats Usyk, I’ll agree no questions asked.

When the second best fighter on your record is Wilder, it feels like pointless conversation. He simply has to fight some higher quality before you can judge.

Plastic Evra

A shame we never got a Wilder Joshua or Joshua Fury... They could happen but right now Wilder and Fury both are a little tarnished.

If Usyk wins and unify all titles, I think you can't really argue he's a boxing genius : Distinguished amateur, overcame size differences, undefeated pro in all meanings of the term.

Joshua, to my untrained eye, seems like the one that could have the best longevity left at this point. Wilder seems washed, Fury who knows but feels he's losing to Father Time, Usyk might retire outright after the next fight. Joshua I could see running the division or getting a few good names still.

Fury's legacy will be complicated I think. Had the potential, lacked the discipline.

But maybe he beats Usyk and take on Joshua to win, this would massively upgrade his resume.

the_cliff

He has until May 2025 I think, I also think that's quite optimistic but he's said that's his aim and he'll have to start fighting some real top heavyweights soon for him to accomplish that so let's see.

I actually agree with @Rams here, I think his problem isn't that he doesn't think he's ready for the top guys yet but that the top guys don't want it with him, too much to lose fighting him not much to gain. He's been sparring with Parker for his fight with Zhang and Parker said a lot of good things about him, as did Fury who recommended him to Parker.

When the second best fighter on your record is Wilder, it feels like pointless conversation. He simply has to fight some higher quality before you can judge.
It’s so odd to me, if he’d fought AJ and won, then beat Usyk I’d understand the calls of ”best of his generation”, but he’s fought absolutely no-one I rate besides Wlad, which was quite probably the most boring fight I can recall.
Then he disappeared rather than give Wlad his rematch which shouldn’t be forgotten.
Parker showed Wilder up for the shit boxer he is, and looked much more impressive than Fury in beating the shit out of him. (Granted the Fury/Wilder fights were much more fun, but that’s something of a stain on Fury for me).

Unquestionably the fights against Wilder were great fun, but they’ve elevated Fury to a level far beyond that which wins against such a limited boxer should.

I’m absolutely certain the current AJ and the pre-Ruiz AJ would have wiped the floor with Wilder in a similar fashion to what happened last night. Wilder would have had a puncher’s chance in the cagey post-Ruiz lull AJ went through but that’s it.

Bert_

Fury seemed to think it was. Hence the lack of preperation and cavalier attitude. Got a shock when Ngannou turned up for an actual fight! Doubt Fury would have even taken the fight if he new it would be an actual boxing match rather than the expected clown show, putting his fight against Usyk at risk.

Dan_F

Fury seemed to think it was. Hence the lack of preperation and cavalier attitude. Got a shock when Ngannou turned up for an actual fight! Doubt Fury would have even taken the fight if he new it would be an actual boxing match rather than the expected clown show, putting his fight against Usyk at risk.
Why? He’s the best heavyweight of his generation apparently. Surely he should have been able to cope with boxing a novice?

Bert_

Why? He’s the best heavyweight of his generation apparently. Surely he should have been able to cope with boxing a novice?
Same reason top football teams can lose or draw friendly matches against teams no one as ever heard of

the_cliff

It’s so odd to me, if he’d fought AJ and won, then beat Usyk I’d understand the calls of ”best of his generation”, but he’s fought absolutely no-one I rate besides Wlad, which was quite probably the most boring fight I can recall.
Then he disappeared rather than give Wlad his rematch which shouldn’t be forgotten.
Parker showed Wilder up for the shit boxer he is, and looked much more impressive than Fury in beating the shit out of him. (Granted the Fury/Wilder fights were much more fun, but that’s something of a stain on Fury for me).

Unquestionably the fights against Wilder were great fun, but they’ve elevated Fury to a level far beyond that which wins against such a limited boxer should.

I’m absolutely certain the current AJ and the pre-Ruiz AJ would have wiped the floor with Wilder in a similar fashion to what happened last night. Wilder would have had a puncher’s chance in the cagey post-Ruiz lull AJ went through but that’s it.
You're assuming the Wilder that fought Fury was the same one that fought Parker. Just as you're assuming the same Wlad that fought Fury fought Aj. The whole comparison of look how one fighter fought against this fighter compare to this one hardly works in boxing or mma. Especially in the top 5 of divisions, there's way too many variables and it's why skillsets are preferred over performances. If Aj and Fury were to fight next week, Fury will still be the favourite in terms of betting and by all the experts.

It's like saying the last time City lost in the league was against Villa so they should've really smoked us a couple of weeks ago...

Bondi77

Bizarre fight and even more Bizarre were the comments from Hearn and Joshua.
The cynic in me tells me that money talks and nothing is going to stop a Fury/Joshua fight at Wembley even if neither hold a title.

Dan_F

Same reason top football teams can lose or draw friendly matches against teams no one as ever heard of
Please. That’s a terrible analogy and you know it. Even if you want to try and make that comparison, who is the last top team that lost a friendly to a team that was unheard of?