The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Bert_

Please. That’s a terrible analogy and you know it. Even if you want to try and make that comparison, who is the last top team that lost a friendly to a team that was unheard of?
It's the same mentality. If you don't take it seriously then you aren't going to put in your maximum effort and if you don't dominate the lesser opponent no one cares.

If Fury thought he'd have a fight on his hands then he either wouldn't have agreed to it or he would have trained accordingly and the result would have been vastly different. Fury turned up for a pantomine and got a fight;.

Ngannou had no business getting involved in heavyweight boxing straight in at the top level in a serious fight. It's fecking dangerous.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Because he’ll already beat anyone in the division. Watch him box. His boxing intelligence is that of a seasoned pro and better. It just comes naturally to him. The way he sets up traps. His defensive intelligence as well. The speed & accuracy of punching is that of a middleweight or lower. And he packs a punch. His footwork is 2nd to none. He’s easily the best heavyweight I’ve seen since a young Mike Tyson. And the rumors are he’s already knocking out the best British heavyweight boxers in sparring. He’s definitely the real deal is Itauma, already. The problem he’ll have is finding opponents willing to fight him.
I've seem him box thanks...

I'm not saying he's not an excellent prospect - but seriously do you even follow the sport? There is such thing as experience, and it matters.

The kid has had 7 pro fights against absolute binmen (outside of maybe that Ukrainian guy who upset Matty Harris), he's had like 25 amateur fights total none of which were even at senior level.

Saying he'd beat anybody right now in a division that contains Usyk, Fury and AJ is ridiculous.

Glorio

The Cult of Fury Eternal Deduction:
Any bad performance = he didn't take the fight seriously

You're assuming the Wilder that fought Fury was the same one that fought Parker. Just as you're assuming the same Wlad that fought Fury fought Aj. The whole comparison of look how one fighter fought against this fighter compare to this one hardly works in boxing or mma. Especially in the top 5 of divisions, there's way too many variables and it's why skillsets are preferred over performances. If Aj and Fury were to fight next week, Fury will still be the favourite in terms of betting and by all the experts.

It's like saying the last time City lost in the league was against Villa so they should've really smoked us a couple of weeks ago...
That’s nothing like what I’m saying.

I’m saying he has two top wins in his entire career, one of which was the most boring heavyweight title fight the majority of us have ever endured, the other was only impressive due to his time out of the ring and the fact that Wilder, despite being a shit boxer, is a huge puncher.

I don’t think that’s close to enough to deem him “the best of his generation”, not least when other boxers of his generation have looked much more impressive against those two big wins.

For me to give Fury credit as the best, he’ll first need to beat Uysk, who I currently feel is most likely to be the best heavyweight of this generation, and Joshua, a man like Wilder with so much raw power but also an actual boxer to go with it. He does that, no questions asked for me, he’s hand down the best of his generation.
If Usyk beats Fury like he did AJ, and I think he may well, that’ll also make the best of his generation claims look daft.
The top three from this generation are clearly AJ, Fury and probably Usyk (so few HW fights though), Usyk has already convincingly beat one of the top three twice, neither AJ nor Fury have beat any of the other top 3.

LDUred

Itauma probably needs to start taking on lower ranking British HWs like Nathan Gorman, Dave Allen, Kash Ali, etc. It's time for him to move up a level.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Joe Joyce is done, looks an absolute shell of the guy he was a couple of years ago.

Plodding along against some journeyman

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
He was never the most dynamic, but feck me I watched round 4 and turned over to UFC. Joyce looked hopeless
I should have done the same.

Hopefully he retires as he will just become a punchbag with his lack of movement. His chin will have gone now and he could be on the end of some brutal knockouts

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I should have done the same.

Hopefully he retires as he will just become a punchbag with his lack of movement. His chin will have gone now and he could be on the end of some brutal knockouts
Was he as big when he was an amateur? I saw a few bits of his amateur career and he didn’t look the same size at all.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Was he as big when he was an amateur? I saw a few bits of his amateur career and he didn’t look the same size at all.

I think he was ok then got some hype after the Dubois fight which made people think he had a chin of granite.

Zhang did him and probably his punch resistance is probably gone imo

Hoof the ball

Well he's also 57 and didn't look the best in his last fight 4 years ago. I'd love to see him knock that YouTube eejit out though.
Eh?

He fought a recently retired Roy Jones Jr whose last fight was only three years prior and gave him a terrible time.

Roy Jones Jr was visibly relieved for the fight to end because Tyson was thumping him every round. It got to the point that Roy Jones Jr was looking for the clinch repeatedly.

If anything, Tyson looked excellent for someone in their mid-50s

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Not looking good for Paul if these latest Tyson training videos are anything to go by. :lol:

He looks as expected. Dude has been hitting pads for 40+ years, he's going to look good and still reasonably quick/powerful. Fact is he was shot to pieces 20 years ago. I suspect he has almost zero punch resistance.

Genius marketing by Jake Paul really because certain people can't seem to look beyond the 'Mike Tyson aura' and still see him as that same invincible kid he was at 19/20, when in reality he has no business in the ring in with anybody of pro calibre (which, despite how absolutely bang average he is, Jake is)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He looks as expected. Dude has been hitting pads for 40+ years, he's going to look good and still reasonably quick/powerful. Fact is he was shot to pieces 20 years ago. I suspect he has almost zero punch resistance.

Genius marketing by Jake Paul really because certain people can't seem to look beyond the 'Mike Tyson aura' and still see him as that same invincible kid he was at 19/20, when in reality he has no business in the ring in with anybody of pro calibre (which, despite how absolutely bang average he is, Jake is)
Tbf to Tyson he was high as a kite most of the time when he retired wasn't he? I think he's mentally in a much better place than he used to be so it might not be as clear cut as all that.

Hoof the ball

It's not as if Mike bullied a recently retired Roy Jones Jr only a few years ago, whilst looking quicker and more powerful than him.

Oh wait, he did.

Tyson will wreck him the way Jones Jr was clinging for life. :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Tbf to Tyson he was high as a kite most of the time when he retired wasn't he? I think he's mentally in a much better place than he used to be so it might not be as clear cut as all that.
Let’s be fair…..Tyson is here for the money. He’s doing his bit to build it but he needs the cash and I think actually having a competitive fight isn’t really top priority for him

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Let’s be fair…..Tyson is here for the money. He’s doing his bit to build it but he needs the cash and I think actually having a competitive fight isn’t really top priority for him
Most likely yes, but he's not exactly the type to not try to put on a show. I couldn't care less about the fight I just think Tyson remains moderately impressive despite his advanced age.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Even if he were shot 30 years ago with little punch resistance, you're talking about an extremely heavy hitting era of heavyweight boxers not holding back with everything they throw. Jake Paul does not punch like they do, not even close. I can see the route via Tyson simply being exhausted, but whilst there's something in the tank, the fight is incredibly dangerous for Paul.

It's not so much the aura, rather the reality that Tyson's sequencing and work to the body and coming up to the head is ridiculous. The pad work is always impressive because he made a career out of transferring those drills into knocking people out quickly and efficiently.

Paul hasn't been in with anyone where he is the prey and they are coming to take his head off with a certainty of purpose for the little bit of time they are loaded with power and agility - Tyson isn't going to stand there pawing away with jabs and being tentative and Paul's simply not had anything like that in the ring, especially from someone whose footwork is copied and imitated to this day.

I suspect Paul will be on his toes running for dear life for the opening two rounds and will try and get into the fight after the third, probably with Tyson dead on his feet. There's no way he stands toe to toe with Tyson whilst he's fresh.

DON’T PANIC ™

Suspect it will be a sham fight to go the distance with lots of holding throughout. Probably a split decision result as well to ensure a rematch is on the cards.

I would love Tyson to spark him out in the first round though!

Hoof the ball

Suspect it will be a sham fight to go the distance with lots of holding throughout. Probably a split decision result as well to ensure a rematch is on the cards.

I would love Tyson to spark him out in the first round though!
I'm not sure why so many folks are so confident that this fight will be an exhibition sham.

Tyson's fight with Jones Jr was supposed to be an exhibition, but instead Tyson spent all eight rounds bullying, slipping and trying to hit the knockout hook.

Folks on here are in for a stark surprise when Tyson shows up and doesn't treat it like a friendly. :lol:

Hoof the ball

Last time Tyson fought almost four years ago, Jones Jr. (only three years retired) spent most of the fight clinching, whilst Tyson had the cardio, speed and power to pummel him for eight rounds. 57 or not, it's sheer hubris to think Paul will be standing to the end when Roy Freakin' Jones struggled only a few years ago.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
It's not as if Mike bullied a recently retired Roy Jones Jr only a few years ago, whilst looking quicker and more powerful than him.

Oh wait, he did.

Tyson will wreck him the way Jones Jr was clinging for life. :lol:
Recently retired... You make it sound like we're talking about a dude in his mid to late 30s. Roy is also in his 50s and was shot to pieces back in 2009. He just lost a boxing match to Showtime Pettis FFS.

the_cliff

Recently retired... You make it sound like we're talking about a dude in his mid to late 30s. Roy is also in his 50s and was shot to pieces back in 2009. He just lost a boxing match to Showtime Pettis FFS.
Yeah, Roy Jones Jrs career went on about 15 years too long.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Most likely yes, but he's not exactly the type to not try to put on a show. I couldn't care less about the fight I just think Tyson remains moderately impressive despite his advanced age.
Yes he’s impressive and of course we’re all hoping that the demon returns and he beats Paul to a pulp.
I just think he’ll be aware to not bite the hand that feeds

Glorio

He's finding this one tricky. Put the excessive showboating to the side now