The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Kag

Khan is as close to a walking advert for early onset dementia you’ll find. Amazed he’s still allowed in the ring. Well, I’m not, actually. Of course he’s still in there.

The referee stopped it at the right time.

Abraxas

What was his peak though? Except for Porter, he doesn't really have any real world-class wins (except for this now.)
I don't think Khan would have dealt with Porter for a start. But yes, that version easily deals with Khan.

We have to remember Brook is also the bigger, stronger man. It's not even just about ability, Brook has always drained down to make welterweight. Brook ended on his feet up two weights against Golovkin. There's a massive strength and toughness difference between the two. One man that can rag doll the other, one man having all the fun in terms of power, all Khan can do is run for 12 rounds like he did against Maidana but Brook is quite precise.

It was hard to tell who would win tonight as there was so little to go on before the fight about where they were but at their peaks it seemed easy to decide.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Have to say, for something I kept telling myself I wasn't too fussed about... I got really hyped during that first round.

Guess thats what boxing can do.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Reckon some of the youtubers turned boxers could take this version of Khan to the cleaners.

Zen

I don't think Amir wins in his peak - and neither does he. He would of comfortably took the fight otherwise - they've left obscene money on the table by doing it this far past the point. Should of done it on the back of Canelo-GGG and their losses to them.

He'll be fighting Jake Paul next. He's obsessed with the celebrity life, and that was his only true angle over Kell Brook in the past, that he was the bigger name and he was. But Kell never chased that, nor was he groomed for it from 18.

LDUred

Khan was unfortunately finished as a boxer before this fight and that puts the seal on it. Sad end to a career that promised so much.

People are talking about the sportsmanship being nice to see but it does make you wonder if it is because Amir knew deep down he had no chance.

I am pretty gutted to be honest. Kell will rightly take the plaudits and bragging rights but that was not a nice spectacle to see.

lsd

The Oracle
Didn't see it but had they fought in their prime i would have bet on the same outcome.

Khan was always overhyped and Brook underrated.

Hopefully they got a nice payday and both call it quits now before they badly hurt

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Sounds like a rat arsed Noel Gallagher played a game of knock down ginger on Kell's hotel room last night.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Khan is as close to a walking advert for early onset dementia you’ll find. Amazed he’s still allowed in the ring. Well, I’m not, actually. Of course he’s still in there.

The referee stopped it at the right time.
Absolutely true. He was notably different after the Canelo knockout. In fact, both these fighters went up and fought monsters (at MW I think) and weren’t the same afterwards

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Khan didn't even seem to hurt Brook, so ridiculously one sided.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Khan was unfortunately finished as a boxer before this fight and that puts the seal on it. Sad end to a career that promised so much.

People are talking about the sportsmanship being nice to see but it does make you wonder if it is because Amir knew deep down he had no chance.

I am pretty gutted to be honest. Kell will rightly take the plaudits and bragging rights but that was not a nice spectacle to see.
I don't know if it's sad? He didn't get knocked down and lost to a better fighter in what was a surprisingly entertaining fight.

But yeah, shame he didn't fulfil his potential to a much greater extent, but he did achieve a hell of a lot still. Wasn't he world number 1 in his class at one point?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Khan has had a good career considering he has no punch resistance.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Every time Khan gets hurt, he does the stanky leg, like he wants to impersonate Danny Welbeck in the penalty box.

sillwuka

I think Khan may have come to the realisation that he's done listening to his Sky interview.

He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. Great career with ups and downs and I've enjoyed every second of it.

Bring on Brook vs Eubank Jr.

Zen

What was his peak though? Except for Porter, he doesn't really have any real world-class wins (except for this now.)
Neither does Khan... and this is not a world class win at all.

LDUred

I don't know if it's sad? He didn't get knocked down and lost to a better fighter in what was a surprisingly entertaining fight.

But yeah, shame he didn't fulfil his potential to a much greater extent, but he did achieve a hell of a lot still. Wasn't he world number 1 in his class at one point?
Yeah, he had some good wins. Beat Alexander, Maidana, Kotelnik and some other decent names.

It just seems as if he has fallen out of love with boxing and that he didn't look conditioned for the fight.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It's been a hell of a ride following Amir. I just hope it's over now. It ended after the Danny Garcia loss to be honest. Tried to rebuild with safe fights against Alexander and Algieri but the writing was on the wall, he had been exposed to counter punches.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Yeah, he had some good wins. Beat Alexander, Maidana, Kotelnik and some other decent names.

It just seems as if he has fallen out of love with boxing and that he didn't look conditioned for the fight.
Still to this day one of the greatest fights I've ever seen.

TheReligion

Abusive
Khan looked terrified from the walkout. He knows he has no business fighting now, won't be remember as a great, his legs and chin always let him down.
He’s actually got a decent chin and is an absolute warrior. Tonight just highlighted that so think you got that assessment a little backwards.

Anyway pretty honest and frank interview with Khan post fight. Very humble in defeat and admitted he’s lost his love for the sport and just doesn’t feel it any more.

Deery

Dreary
Khan hasn’t fought in 2.5 years and lost a lot of money in property,, this wasn’t anything more than a money grab..

TheReligion

Abusive
Chris Eubank Jnr looking for a payday. Don’t mind watching him but he’s no business speaking about himself along side the likes of Brook and Khan.

Dan_F

Still to this day one of the greatest fights I've ever seen.
If that was Hatton, British fans would still be revelling in that fight now. I always liked Khan because of the amount of abuse he took from British fans, I couldn’t understand it really, it’s not like a weak chin is something you can do anything about and he used to swing away regardless when he was hurt.

I do think that even if he had an average chin he would have been right up there.

TheReligion

Abusive
Khan hasn’t fought in 2.5 years and lost a lot of money in property,, this wasn’t anything more than a money grab..
I think the time away from the ring showed in comparison to Brook. I don’t think he cared as much about the outcome as Kell and admitted at the end he doesn’t love the sport any more. Might be why he stopped with the punditry too as from memory he was good to listen to.

TheReligion

Abusive
If that was Hatton, British fans would still be revelling in that fight now. I always liked Khan because of the amount of abuse he took from British fans, I couldn’t understand it really, it’s not like a weak chin is something you can do anything about and he used to swing away regardless when he was hurt.

I do think that even if he had an average chin he would have been right up there.
Khan is adored by the fans. You only had to watch the fight tonight to see that.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Boxrec have Brook at #4 for Welterweight.
I have him at 11.

He'll pick up another big domestic payday and probably lose it and retire.

Deery

Dreary
Boxrec have Brook at #4 for Welterweight.
I have him at 11.

He'll pick up another big domestic payday and probably lose it and retire.
Brook should retire as well, titanium in the eye and looks terrible against any decent fighter. I fear Sky will try and drum up some support for a Eubanks fight, then he gets really injured again.

rotherham_red

The only losses Brook has had have been to legit world class fighters. Khan really can't say the same.

That he doesn't have the résumé he should have is a legit criticism, but it should equally be directed to Hearn for screwing him after the Porter win. I mean who the feck puts their fresh 147 world champion in against the p4p scariest puncher in his era, who is two whole weight classes above him? He was never the same after that. Then, when he stepped up in class v Spence and Crawford, he was always on a hiding to nothing, and there's no shame in that whatsoever.