The Redcafe Decades Draft Tournament

Moby

Dick
Cheers guys.

I guess if Brwned is up for it he can take over.

Go ahead and make the pick mate.

On a sidenote, another 24 hours of hell against him. :lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Cutch : 1. Best

KM : 1. C. Ronaldo

AldoRaine18 : 1.

Theon : 1.

I reckon the next four picks are: Zanetti, C. Alberto, Baresi, Edwards

Moby

Dick
Hmm not quite sure what will Ronaldo provide that Hamrin already doesnt in that setup. Good pick still considering this is redcafe...

Will take a few minutes. Just back from scorching heat outside, haven't really thought all the options through.

Brwned

Ronaldo's essentially a centre forward playing out wide, Hamrin (from what I remember) had the skillset of an inside-forward who could play anywhere across the frontline like Zico, despite his billing as a winger. He had pace but nothing like the kind of searing pace Ronaldo has and he certainly didn't have any of the physical presence. With Romario up top I think that physical and aerial presence is a necessary addition to the attack.

Plus no-one knows who Hamrin is. More importantly I don't think any of the 80s centre backs are good enough at this level and Ronaldo was the only 80s player worth getting so...

The only other option I had was Baresi but then that meant dropping Stam and leaving Thiago Silva in. Seemed silly. Stam-Bergomi > Baresi-Thiago Silva

Brwned

Theon has PM'd me to say he's taking Baresi and Carlos Alberto.

Brwned

I'm gonna take a huge risk (now that my '60s oversight has came back to bite me on the arse - sorry KM!) and go for pure firepower here.

Cutch : 1. Best
Brwned : 1. C. Ronaldo 2. Garrincha
AldoRaine18 : 1. Edwards 2. Scirea
Theon : 1. Baresi 2. C. Alberto

Brwned

As far as I know I can only pick 30s or 80s players and there's no decent central defenders or midfielders to pick from those decades...

It was between Garrincha and Charles and I thought this team might as well go out with a bang. Germany '72 all over again is my plan. What a team.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm looking forward to see you pulling all that attacking talent together.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
As far as I know I can only pick 30s or 80s players and there's no decent central defenders or midfielders to pick from those decades...

It was between Garrincha and Charles and I thought this team might as well go out with a bang. Germany '72 all over again is my plan. What a team.
:drool:

Beckenbauer in defense for Silva, Zidane in midfield next to Neeskens and Garrincha and Ronaldo as wingers?

Brwned

Pele wont get picked in this
How sad is that? The only option I had was swapping Jennings for Cech to fit Pelé in. In any other team that wouldn't have been too much of a sacrifice but with Zidane and Laudrup in there already I couldn't pull it off.

Beckenbauer in defense for Silva, Zidane in midfield next to Neeskens and Garrincha and Ronaldo as wingers?

Pretty much! Whether it's 433 or 4231 is still to be decided but that's the jist of it. Not sure I can pull it off but hey-ho, it's worth a go.

Hungary '54, Brazil '70, Germany '72, Holland '74 and Spain '08 - that's got to be the top five international sides in whatever order, right? Or do France '84 squeeze in there ahead of Spain? That was definitely Spain at their most entertaining but was it Spain at their best? Maybe even France '00 in there ahead of Spain?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah he can, I think the original plan was to get alberto instead of suurbier. Thats what I would have done anway

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Aldo should have gone matthaus garrincha imo, would have been an insane midfield and attack

Moby

Dick
Aldo should have gone matthaus garrincha imo, would have been an insane midfield and attack
Wouldn't work. You cannot have the best of Cruyff and Garrincha together. I would have been lying if I said I could. I would have loved Lothar but I'm happy with Big Dunc, again complimenting Rijkaard beautifully, just like Gullit does to the rest of my attack.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Wouldn't work. You cannot have the best of Cruyff and Garrincha together. I would have been lying if I said I could. I would have loved Lothar but I'm happy with Big Dunc, again complimenting Rijkaard beautifully, just like Gullit does to the rest of my attack.
Yeah, I prefer it how you picked.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think they would have worked fine, maybe cruyff and maradona or pele wouldnt work, but garrincha amd cruyff doesnt seem too problematic

Then you have matthaus/rijkaard

Moby

Dick
I think they would have worked fine, maybe cruyff and maradona or pele wouldnt work, but garrincha amd cruyff doesnt seem too problematic

The problem arises from the fact that both need the ball for lengths to torment their opponents. There's no use of Garrincha standing there waiting while Cruyff runs rings around the defender or the other way round. They just don't compliment each other as a wing pair.

Brwned

Thankfully Ronaldo isn't really the type to dominate the ball in the way Cruyff does...he'll love those tap-ins at the back post from a trademark Garrincha fizzed cross. Good luck Zambrotta!

Moby

Dick

Also, I couldn't go in with the current defense, needed some upgrade their as well.

I think my attack is really well balanced at the moment, don't want to disturb that at all. I in fact had a completely different idea in mind that revolved on completely shuffling the attack around and going with something I've not done in this draft yet, but it seemed a very hard sell.