Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Ainu

I suppose it's normal to feel absolutely lost at the beginning?
Yes it is, and I would advise you to not look up too much initially. Entering each new territory and trying to get your bearings is parts of the experience. The only advice I would give is same as above, prioritize finding the map guy and make sure you've bought the map and quill from the shop in Dirtmouth and equip the compass, aka the strongest charm in the game. Enjoy the adventure!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Playing Doom Eternal off game pass, about 2 years too late.

It's fun, the level design is great, it all looks proper horrible, especially when you're outside in the hellfire and ruins. But I'm just constantly out of ammo and out of chainsaw fuel. Do you get more ammo/fuel capacity later? I don't remember having to constantly scavenge ammo on the last Doom game. This Doomguy needs to invest in a few bullet belts, or like, some pockets.

It's also a terribly uneconomical chainsaw. You hack one bastard in half, and it's empty.

Irwin99

Horizon Forbidden West is the equivalent of dating the most beautiful person that ever lived but then discovering that they won't stop talking...Endlessly. Endlessly. Talking.

I feel like i'm being really mean because there's a good story here and the gameplay is really fun but i'm so tired of these exposition dumps that go on and on: the way they're telling the story just kills the pace of the game for me. And you can't not talk in case you're missing vital plot info.

Giving this a break and moving on to Elden Ring in two and a half hours :drool:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Horizon Forbidden West is the equivalent of dating the most beautiful person that ever lived but then discovering that they won't stop talking...Endlessly. Endlessly. Talking.

I feel like i'm being really mean because there's a good story here and the gameplay is really fun but i'm so tired of these exposition dumps that go on and on: the way they're telling the story just kills the pace of the game for me. And you can't not talk in case you're missing vital plot info.

Haha, that's exactly how I felt about the first game. I can't ever remember feeling so detached from and annoyed by a main character and couldn't stand loads of the gibberish exposition. More than likely why I wont bother with this one either.

Irwin99

Haha, that's exactly how I felt about the first game. I can't ever remember feeling so detached from and annoyed by a main character and couldn't stand loads of the gibberish exposition. More than likely why I wont bother with this one either.
I don't remember there being nearly as much talking in the first game but maybe my memory blocked it out. This one is a good game with fun combat but, man some of the exposition dumps have been brutal to get through.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Sounds like the same issue I had with God of War. At a certain point I just feel like I'm being treated like an idiot by the game.

Elden Ring is probably going to be the polar opposite experience :lol:

Irwin99

Sounds like the same issue I had with God of War. At a certain point I just feel like I'm being treated like an idiot by the game.

Elden Ring is probably going to be the polar opposite experience :lol:
Yeah, actually it is. The contrast in story telling vs just ...well, lore, is interesting. I'm usually far more invested in the former but I have to say Elden Ring's lack of verbosity is very welcome.

HFW does have an interesting story; it's just the way they've been telling it has been pissing me off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So on the games I'm currently playing / just finished
  • Gravity Rush 2 - Was unsure going into this one as the reviews were mostly positive but I don't think the game got any real recognition. Yeah the game can be clunky and sometimes so basic (I'm looking at you stealth sections), but it's full of charm and the whole gravity control mechanic is a lot of fun. I've done the ending before the ending and I think I'm done. But I liked it.
  • Resident Evil 7 - I'm probably about a couple of hours in and it's been fantastic. So far I'm liking this more than RE2 which was also a very good game. It's less flashy but the tension and momentum has been just spot on. Let's see if the game keeps this level up.
  • Subnautica Below Zero: Around 10 hours and like the original it's absolutely superb so far. That sense of exploration and wonder just blows me away. So many little moments of tension and excitement because the immersion is so high.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
There is more to God Of War than I thought. There is a shit ton of upgrades etc. I thought it was a bit more basic. Not complaining, though. Really enjoying the game, so far.

RedDevilRoshi

There is more to God Of War than I thought. There is a shit ton of upgrades etc. I thought it was a bit more basic. Not complaining, though. Really enjoying the game, so far.
I didn’t play any of the earlier titles from the PS2/PS3 Greek mythology era and only got into it when I played this most recent Norse one. Wish I’d actually played those earlier titles as I really enjoyed this one and can’t wait for the new Ragnarock one to be released.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I didn’t play any of the earlier titles from the PS2/PS3 Greek mythology era and only got into it when I played this most recent Norse one. Wish I’d actually played those earlier titles as I really enjoyed this one and can’t wait for the new Ragnarock one to be released.
You might want to still play them, they still play well enough and are great games for their time. Brill story.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
The Game shop near me is doing 3 for the price of 2 and I was thinking to get Cyberpunk 2077 plus a couple more (would work out at a tenner) but I have just a basic PS4. Does anyone know have patches been made to correct the faults with this game? I don't mind if I have to let them download over a night.

I'm hoping its like GTA5 but in a Blade Runner type of world, am I right?

I realise that compared to some people with £1000 pound gaming PCs I wont get the same experience, but I just want some mindless blasting in a futuristic world - would I get that?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
The Game shop near me is doing 3 for the price of 2 and I was thinking to get Cyberpunk 2077 plus a couple more (would work out at a tenner) but I have just a basic PS4. Does anyone know have patches been made to correct the faults with this game? I don't mind if I have to let them download over a night.

I'm hoping its like GTA5 but in a Blade Runner type of world, am I right?

I realise that compared to some people with £1000 pound gaming PCs I wont get the same experience, but I just want some mindless blasting in a futuristic world - would I get that?
As far as I know, the last gen versions of Cyberpunk are still a disaster. Check digital foundry for the latest. As for the game, the setting is GTA in blade runner, yes but remember it's an RPG first and foremost and not a shooter.

I know it's a last gen game but I am impressed with how God Of War keeps a flawless 60fps on PS5.

Bobski

Playing Doom Eternal off game pass, about 2 years too late.

It's fun, the level design is great, it all looks proper horrible, especially when you're outside in the hellfire and ruins. But I'm just constantly out of ammo and out of chainsaw fuel. Do you get more ammo/fuel capacity later? I don't remember having to constantly scavenge ammo on the last Doom game. This Doomguy needs to invest in a few bullet belts, or like, some pockets.

It's also a terribly uneconomical chainsaw. You hack one bastard in half, and it's empty.
Been playing it recently, and I am really not enjoying it, doesn't really feel like a shooter as much as a Devil May Cry style pattern fighter where you are constantly farming the enemies for ammo and health. That gets tedious fast with every fight feeling very similar.

Doom 2016 was better, actually played Doom 3 last year and really enjoyed that as well, and of course the originals are stone cold classics.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Been playing it recently, and I am really not enjoying it, doesn't really feel like a shooter as much as a Devil May Cry style pattern fighter where you are constantly farming the enemies for ammo and health. That gets tedious fast with every fight feeling very similar.

Doom 2016 was better, actually played Doom 3 last year and really enjoyed that as well, and of course the originals are stone cold classics.
Same, I've played it some more since that post, and it's just a real grind, killing a couple of guys and immediately being out of resources. Those massive spider things take a few rounds of scavenging to kill too. It feels like a real fluke whenever I clear an area of bad guys.

I loved Doom 1 and 2 many years ago, but didn't play any others after that. After watching some clips and reviews of Doom 2016, that looks much more like what I expected Doom Eternal to be. I'll give it a go.

Ainu

I also couldn't get into Doom Eternal, after absolutely loving Doom 2016. It looks great and runs like a dream, but I actively hate the gameplay. I've rarely been as disappointed in a video game. The thing is, I can't say it's outright bad, it's simply a design decision that really isn't for me. A lot of people seem to love it.

el3mel

Same, I've played it some more since that post, and it's just a real grind, killing a couple of guys and immediately being out of resources. Those massive spider things take a few rounds of scavenging to kill too. It feels like a real fluke whenever I clear an area of bad guys.

I loved Doom 1 and 2 many years ago, but didn't play any others after that. After watching some clips and reviews of Doom 2016, that looks much more like what I expected Doom Eternal to be. I'll give it a go.
The ammo is really no issue at all once you learn how to play the game. The game has a learning curve but once you get the hang of it is a blast.

For the start you shouldn't wait till you have no ammo to start chainsawing fodders.

amolbhatia50k

Guys which would you pick among these?
Middle Earth Shadow of War (big discount didn't play the original)
Yakuza 6
Judgment (not a great discount)
Spiritfarer

As these seem to be the best discounts on the PS store right now

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yakuza 6
Spiritfarer

The Mrs says Shadow of War, and she's done them all. That's as helpful as I can be on that!

amolbhatia50k

The Mrs says Shadow of War, and she's done them all. That's as helpful as I can be on that!
Nice ! Thats the one I'm leaning towards. I loved Yakuza 0 but the others in the franchise seem a step below. And judgment isn't on much of a deal anyway. Plus spiritfairer seems a bit laborious gameplay loop wise.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Nice ! Thats the one I'm leaning towards. I loved Yakuza 0 but the others in the franchise seem a step below. And judgment isn't on much of a deal anyway. Plus spiritfairer seems a bit laborious gameplay loop wise.
She says "6 is ok, Judgement is better though but none will compare to 0 for you now. Shadow of War is definitely the best bargain as it's fun to play and will last you a fair while".

I trust her judgement on these things, she completes everything she plays whilst I'm out here resetting every couple of hours then ultimately getting bored :lol:

amolbhatia50k

She says "6 is ok, Judgement is better though but none will compare to 0 for you now. Shadow of War is definitely the best bargain as it's fun to play and will last you a fair while".

I trust her judgement on these things, she completes everything she plays whilst I'm out here resetting every couple of hours then ultimately getting bored :lol:
0 was just fantastic. I hope SoW doesn't end up feeling like a button mashing drag. And I'm not to your extreme but if a game doesn't excite me I do switch. Given I didn't play the 1st game, this should be fresh and interesting for me.

Big thank you to your wifey for the inputs :D

caid

Yakuza 6
Spiritfarer

Spiritfarer was great. Very different to the other games listed. Very chilled out. Well worth a playthrough at some point.

amolbhatia50k

Spiritfarer was great. Very different to the other games listed. Very chilled out. Well worth a playthrough at some point.
Seems to be highly rated. But after Subnautica Below Zero (which like the original is fantastic) I think a change of pace is in order. Will probably try in the future.

AaronRedDevil

Did you get around to them? (Nonary Games).

I'm halfway through VLR at the moment and it is a long game. About twice as long as 999 I reckon.

So many plot twists, though. I'm hooked!
Yeah I finished 999 the other day. It's pretty good. Enjoyed the puzzles. The dialogue parts are annoying about how dumb they talk. They talk as if they are explaining to a 4 year old. The story was good with the twist and turns. I'm a bit burnt out at the moment from the puzzles. I started VLR 2 days ago and got 4 hours into it. Put the PS5 in rest mode and somehow the PS shut off completely after I came back an hour later. Had to restart the damn thing again. So I fast forward through the whole thing and got 3 hours further....I turned it off to go to bed. I forgot to save the damn thing again! :mad: ...So I'm taking a long break from it and playing Cyberpunk.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah I finished 999 the other day. It's pretty good. Enjoyed the puzzles. The dialogue parts are annoying about how dumb they talk. They talk as if they are explaining to a 4 year old. The story was good with the twist and turns. I'm a bit burnt out at the moment from the puzzles. I started VLR 2 days ago and got 4 hours into it. Put the PS5 in rest mode and somehow the PS shut off completely after I came back an hour later. Had to restart the damn thing again. So I fast forward through the whole thing and got 3 hours further....I turned it off to go to bed. I forgot to save the damn thing again! :mad: ...So I'm taking a long break from it and playing Cyberpunk.
:lol: catalogue of errors!

Minkaro

Tried that Ghostrunner last night. feck me, it’s hard. Died about 200 times in that half hour. I’m not good enough at games for it, but fans of a challenge might like it.