Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Dave_MUFC

In my wait for a Steam Deck (Reckon I won't be getting one until July/August at the earliest), I've pulled the trigger on a Ayn Odin:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/odin-the-ultimate-gaming-handheld#/

It seems to be getting pretty good reviews from the online community, and is the only handheld in it's price range that can comfortably run PS2 and GC emulation, which is what I was planning to use the Deck for, mainly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So I played Shadow of War quite a bit on Sunday and while it's not the most refined /slick game, the nemesis system has got me hooked for the time being. Let's see how long before it feels repetitive but so far it's a lot of fun.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
So I played Shadow of War quite a bit on Sunday and while it's not the most refined /slick game, the nemesis system has got me hooked for the time being. Let's see how long before it feels repetitive but so far it's a lot of fun.
I really enjoyed the game too. It takes enough liberties with the LOTR universe to make Tolkien fans convulse but the actual game is very good and as you say the nemesis system is a really good mechanic that adds another edge to some of the battles. I never finished the game but I don't remember that being a reflection on the game itself, just a time thing as always.

For what the game costs now, it's a good buy.

caid

First one of them was pretty great, primarily because of the nemesis system. I just completely blanked out the second one due to microtransactions. I know they removed them at some point but i just had no interest after that.

Ainu

I didn't think the first one was all that and the nemesis system is an incredibly overrated gameplay mechanic. It's just a gimmick. I finished that game and did pretty much everything there was to do; god knows why, possibly because I was bored out of my mind. Nothing stood out, it was as by-the-numbers as any game this side of modern Assassin's Creeds.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Here is my (9 years late!) review of TLOU remastered (and Left Behind).

I can see why this game was a big hit. The best thing about it is the writing. Particularly, the banter between Ellie and Joel. It's life like in a way other games struggle to reach.

The gunplay was ok. The only bad miss was shooting with the bow. The stealth in the game felt border line broken at times. It requires you to be so precise when sneaking up on someone that it almost spoils the fun.

I liked that you could skip gunfights and sneak you're way out of situations.

The game looked fine on PS5, and 60fps is always nice, but I it goes without saying that it's shine is lost 9 years later. I do think that this is a problem, in that, a lot of the cutscenes and how the characters move and interact with the world is meant to showcase the tech, and make the player go ''wow''. Playing in 2022 and those moments do not resonate in that way, at all.

Left Behind was fun but very short. Some nice backstory on Ellie. One cool thing about it was that you could now make it so the infected attacked other humans. This would have been great in the main game.

9/10 and I'm looking forward to checking out the sequel. One day.

On PS5, I'll check out Uncharted 4, next, but for now I'm returning to Xbox to play Guardians of the Galaxy in Gamepass!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I gotta buy a PS5 - because, well, I just have to. There aren't really any current PS5 exclusive (by which I mean: not available on PS4) games I absolutely need to play, but sooner or later I obviously have to upgrade, so why not get it done.

I'm old school - and I don't play online (I have zero interest in online gaming, as such). But I do appreciate how easy it is to pay for a download - rather than buying a disc. The last ten or so games I've purchased have all been downloads. The last disc(s) I bought was Red Dead Redemption 2 - and that was only because I got it super cheap.

So - question: Is there any very good reason to pay extra money for a PS5 with a disc drive? Specifically, for someone with an excellent and usually very stable Internet connection?

b82REZ

I gotta buy a PS5 - because, well, I just have to. There aren't really any current PS5 exclusive (by which I mean: not available on PS4) games I absolutely need to play, but sooner or later I obviously have to upgrade, so why not get it done.

I'm old school - and I don't play online (I have zero interest in online gaming, as such). But I do appreciate how easy it is to pay for a download - rather than buying a disc. The last ten or so games I've purchased have all been downloads. The last disc(s) I bought was Red Dead Redemption 2 - and that was only because I got it super cheap.

So - question: Is there any very good reason to pay extra money for a PS5 with a disc drive? Specifically, for someone with an excellent and usually very stable Internet connection?
This discussion was happening in the PS5 thread. People who bought digital version have regretted it because digital games have no resale value

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This discussion was happening in the PS5 thread. People who bought digital version have regretted it because digital games have no resale value
Also, sales.

Physical games can be picked up cheap in places like CEX quite quickly.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’d always go disc as being able to trade in games that you have no interest in anymore is a blessing.

b82REZ

Also, sales.

Physical games can be picked up cheap in places like CEX quite quickly.
Also this.

It really isn't worth the short term saving. The only advantage it has is convenience of not having to swap discs but that doesn't seem like a decent trade off.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Also this.

It really isn't worth the short term saving. The only advantage it has is convenience of not having to swap discs but that doesn't seem like a decent trade off.
Can't you download on the normal PS5 anyways?

b82REZ

Can't you download on the normal PS5 anyways?
Yeah. That's what I mean, the convenience of not swapping discs is not really an advantage. Also even if you want to go fully digital for games you can't watch blu rays and a 4k blu ray player is much more than a £100.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I’d always go disc as being able to trade in games that you have no interest in anymore is a blessing.
True.

But.

I used to do that to some extent - but in recent years I haven't really bothered to.

Financially, buying games (these days I'm very selective about which games I actually play - I never purchase anything on a whim) isn't really an issue.

As an old fart gamer, I now basically follow a limited number of series (like GTA, Hitman, Assassin's Creed) - and beyond that, I never spend money on anything I haven't had specifically recommended by people I trust (more or less).

So, the trade/resale thing isn't much of a factor for me.

(One could also speculate that it will become less and less of a factor in general: I mean discs - I can see them vanishing altogether. Unlike music - where LPs have made a spectacular comeback, and CDs still serve a purpose * - I can't see anyone making a very compelling case for games on disc).

* The technical quality (sound, in this case) of what is offered on Spotify and whatnot is still absolute garbage compared to what you get on a disc.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I told everyone this at the time*

*I also bought the PS5 digital console but only because I use it as a secondary console.

In other news, I'm playing GOTG on GamePass and not really enjoyng it, so far. Drax is funny, though.

Ainu

You think so?
Can you not see the potential in it if refined further? Imagine crime/gang bosses in GTA6 rising through the ranks and taking over parts of city etc.
Can't say I see the potential in that, no. The scenario you're describing for example, a good story with well written characters doing the same thing is infinitely preferable to me. They'd have pretty much zero personality in the case of a nemesis-like system and it would all fall into a predictable pattern quickly anyway. I'm just meh on the whole thing.

Ainu

Everyone was touching themselves over it when it first came out. Always looked shite to me.
It certainly isn't shite. I thought it was pretty good, even if the gameplay got repetitive quickly. It has tons of personality. It's not a game I'd ever recommend at full price but on game pass everyone should at least give it a shot.

Bebe

I have an excellent and stable internet connection. I've borrowed a game or two from friends, and I've had an occasion or two where others wanted to borrow a game from me but they did not get the disc drive console. I mostly download my games, but so far I'm finding that having the disc option is still handy.

Also allows me to use my bluray collection. Finally, on one occasion my ps5 crashed and would not turn on with the power button, controller, etc. I had a disc in the console at the time and ejecting the disc with the physical button seemed to restart the console or something and all was well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I've borrowed a game or two from friends, and I've had an occasion or two where others wanted to borrow a game from me but they did not get the disc drive console.
That's actually something to consider.

I have at least one mate who a) owns a disc drive PS5 and b) buys shitloads of games on disc (he gets them dirt cheap or even free because he has certain connections).

So - yeah.

Bosws87

So you are not held to ransom by sony's horrifically priced digital store, simple as.

Bebe

That's actually something to consider.

I have at least one mate who a) owns a disc drive PS5 and b) buys shitloads of games on disc (he gets them dirt cheap or even free because he has certain connections).

So - yeah.
The points people have made about the digital store are valid as well I think. I rarely have issues, but when I do they're annoying in the extreme. For example, I bought the Game of the Year version of Spiderman a few months back thinking it would be great to enjoy my new TV and console with. Turns out you only get the PS5 version of that game (with the raytracing and other graphics features) if you buy the Spiderman + Miles Morales collection. I had no idea, finding out such info was nearly impossible on the store, and its a digital purchase so now I have no recourse.

Luckily, one of my friends bought a ps5 recently and got the Miles Morales collection with it on disc, so I'll borrow that at some point.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So you are not held to ransom by sony's horrifically priced digital store, simple as.
Yes, I do appreciate that - on principle.

However...I don't actually buy that many games. And I hardly ever buy 'em at max price. For instance, I didn't buy AC Valhalla until December last year. The game itself cost me...I forget, but it was clearly a bit cheaper than its initial cost. I ended up paying for some additional crap too - but even so, it didn't set me back that much.

But - yes, I do agree on principle. And - also on principle - I support the idea of hard copies over downloads.

On the last note - I don't even know how well downloads work offline. I've never thought about it much since I started paying for downloads (since I normally don't have to worry about having Internet access at all times).

But you can - presumably - play a game you've downloaded even if your console is offline?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The points people have made about the digital store are valid as well I think. I rarely have issues, but when I do they're annoying in the extreme. For example, I bought the Game of the Year version of Spiderman a few months back thinking it would be great to enjoy my new TV and console with. Turns out you only get the PS5 version of that game (with the raytracing and other graphics features) if you buy the Spiderman + Miles Morales collection. I had no idea, finding out such info was nearly impossible on the store, and its a digital purchase so now I have no recourse.

Luckily, one of my friends bought a ps5 recently and got the Miles Morales collection with it on disc, so I'll borrow that at some point.
Yes...there you go.

Something I've done often as a Playstation gamer in the past is to purchase "ultimate" editions of certain games (discs, I mean, where all the DLC stuff is included).

I hardly ever buy a game on release (the last time I did that was GTA V, I think) - so waiting for some kind of "complete" edition is not a problem for me. And - if such editions will keep on coming for PS5 games on disc, then yes: one more reason, I guess.

Currently, the price difference between disc drive and digital version seems to be somewhere south of a hundred quid. Might be worth it, actually (disc drive, I mean).

Bebe

Yes...there you go.

Something I've done often as a Playstation gamer in the past is to purchase "ultimate" editions of certain games (discs, I mean, where all the DLC stuff is included).

I hardly ever buy a game on release (the last time I did that was GTA V, I think) - so waiting for some kind of "complete" edition is not a problem for me. And - if such editions will keep on coming for PS5 games on disc, then yes: one more reason, I guess.

Currently, the price difference between disc drive and digital version seems to be somewhere south of a hundred quid. Might be worth it, actually (disc drive, I mean).
I do this a lot as well. I'm always playing major releases a couple years after they come out and it's great to grab a copy with all the DLCs, patches etc for $20 later on.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
@Dirty Schwein White Palace is pretty much impossible for me. The bosses I can live with, but that's platforming straight from hell
Mate you can do it! I did it on handheld mode with analogue stick and I'm generally a shitty player. It's a matter of repetition and you eventually get it. If you soldier on, just be careful when you reach the end. Two jobbers appear out of nowhere and if they kill you (like they did me), you have to do it all over again (although it's much easier the second time round!)

How far in are you?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Mate you can do it! I did it on handheld mode with analogue stick and I'm generally a shitty player. It's a matter of repetition and you eventually get it. If you soldier on, just be careful when you reach the end. Two jobbers appear out of nowhere and if they kill you (like they did me), you have to do it all over again (although it's much easier the second time round!)

How far in are you?
In general i think only HK, NKG and Radiance are left, as far as bosses go. Trial of fools and the Godholme stuff as well

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
In general i think only HK, NKG and Radiance are left, as far as bosses go. Trial of fools and the Godholme stuff as well
Oh shit! Sorry mate, I read your message again... you're on White Palace not Path Of Pain. You can definitely do White Palace with a bit of practice. Just keep going.

I found NKG the hardest thing in the game (never did Godhome because I'm not into boss rush modes).

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Oh shit! Sorry mate, I read your message again... you're on White Palace not Path Of Pain. You can definitely do White Palace with a bit of practice. Just keep going.

I found NKG the hardest thing in the game (never did Godhome because I'm not into boss rush modes).
Going to spoiler this for others
Am I right in thinking I need to beat the White Palace to be able to fight Radiance?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably been asked before - but something I thought about the other day: do you think you'll become too old for games one day?

Can you see yourself as a 50, 60, 70, 80...year old gamer?

And, if so - in what way? Will you be keeping up with the latest stuff - or will you be re-playing old games?

Do you think the gaming industry will move in the direction of - so to speak - accommodating "senior" gamers?

Here and now, I see that the teenage son of my current girlfriend is heavily into several of the games I enjoy myself. Which is a bit weird. Not least since he's not a very good gamer (he uses cheat codes!). But at the same time he's also into (online, mainly) stuff that I have zero interest in. And games on platforms that are entirely alien to me as a gamer: I have never felt even the slightest urge to check out the current generation of Android/Apple games.

But it's pretty cool that an old fart like me can bond with a kid over a video game - he absolutely loves GTA (his mother hates it, of course) and looks forward to GTA 6 just like me.

ETA There surely is a huge difference between games and, say, movies or popular music in this regard: GTA 6 will be anticipated and embraced by people ranging from their early teens to - at least - their 50s, I'd estimate. That would be unthinkable with a movie or a release by a musical artist. (Nevermind a work of literature).

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

So, this Hollow Knight you all keep banging on about. Tempted to play it as it's on Game Pass. What style is it? What influences does it draw on? I love me a good platformer (non-roguelike).

DavelinaJolie

Probably been asked before - but something I thought about the other day: do you think you'll become too old for games one day?

And, if so - in what way? Will you be keeping up with the latest stuff - or will you be re-playing old games?

Do you think the gaming industry will move in the direction of - so to speak - accommodating "senior" gamers?

Here and now, I see that the teenage son of my current girlfriend is heavily into several of the games I enjoy myself. Which is a bit weird. Not least since he's not a very good gamer (he uses cheat codes!). But at the same time he's also into (online, mainly) stuff that I have zero interest in. And games on platforms that are entirely alien to me as a gamer: I have never felt even the slightest urge to check out the current generation of Android/Apple games.

But it's pretty cool that an old fart like me can bond with a kid over a video game - he absolutely loves GTA (his mother hates it, of course) and looks forward to GTA 6 just like me.

ETA There surely is a huge difference between games and, say, movies or popular music in this regard: GTA 6 will be anticipated and embraced by people ranging from their early teens to - at least - their 50s, I'd estimate. That would be unthinkable with a movie or a release by a musical artist. (Nevermind a work of literature).
I'm sure I'll still play games through my life as they're a big source of entertainment and fun for me. I'm 40 next week and still find games that hook me in hard. I can't imagine when I'm 60 I'll be up to something like the c-sides in Celeste, but I'll probably always play games.

Chairman Steve

I don’t see any reason why you can’t play games into your 60s and 70s. I’ve heard stories of WoW guilds consisting of guys who are in their 40s and 50s back in the 2000s.

My mother loves the Lucasarts puzzle adventure games like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango to this day and she’s almost 70.

Ainu

So, this Hollow Knight you all keep banging on about. Tempted to play it as it's on Game Pass. What style is it? What influences does it draw on? I love me a good platformer (non-roguelike).
It's a 2d metroidvania, more focused on combat than on platforming. Beyond the metroidvania stuff, I've always found it to have strong Souls vibes, even if the creators claim they weren't inspired by those games.

It's hard to predict where the video games industry will be by that time (although my 50s are only 15 years away, yikes), but I absolutely see myself playing a lot of video games later in life. It's something I'm passionate about and I don't see why the future evolution of video games would fascinate me any less than it has done so far. Unless it goes almost exclusively in the direction of mobile shit and service games, but I'm not that pessimistic.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Here is my (6 years, late!) review of The Last Guardian.

I found it to be a mixed bag. In some ways, the most beautiful game I've ever played. And in other ways, one of the most frustrating.

I know that it started life as a PS3 game and I can see why it had such problems running on that system. The frame rate would have been laughable.

I loved the art style. It was beautiful and some of the sequences were breathtaking.

They story was simple, yet effective.

The knock against the game is a huge one. The controls, in 2022, anyway, are abysmal. You spend half your time either getting trico to do what you want or trying to jump from it on to a platform. I felt like a trophy should have popped every time that I managed to jump from it.

7/10. And if not for the shitty controls, this game was a 9 or even a 10.