Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Ainu

Played through Catherine: Full Body the last couple of days, because I had it sitting in my backlog for some reason. The critical reception has always seemed very positive and I've seen it praised for its "mature" themes, but honestly I found it pretty shite. Nothing about it felt mature to me, none of the characters or conversations made the least bit of sense, the playable character is awful and my choices were constantly being ignored by a narrative that's seemingly set in stone in cutscenes until the very end - what's the point of such choice driven dialogues then?

After also not enjoying Persona 5's narrative and characters at all, I think at this point I'll just have to conclude Atlus games aren't for me. I consider their writing absolutely godawful and their gameplay isn't much better either. It will forever remain a mystery to me why their games are so highly rated, but hey, opinions and all that.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Played through Catherine: Full Body the last couple of days, because I had it sitting in my backlog for some reason. The critical reception has always seemed very positive and I've seen it praised for its "mature" themes, but honestly I found it pretty shite. Nothing about it felt mature to me, none of the characters or conversations made the least bit of sense, the playable character is awful and my choices were constantly being ignored by a narrative that's seemingly set in stone in cutscenes until the very end - what's the point of such choice driven dialogues then?

After also not enjoying Persona 5's narrative and characters at all, I think at this point I'll just have to conclude Atlus games aren't for me. I consider their writing absolutely godawful and their gameplay isn't much better either. It will forever remain a mystery to me why their games are so highly rated, but hey, opinions and all that.
Full Body is worse than the original I think. The first game had a split choice* between giving into lustfulness with blonde Catherine or sticking with the old ball and chains with tall Catherine. It was a basic uncomplicated parable that worked well enough in a sort of adult-themed manga kind of way.

Then they added a third character who despite being /obvious spoilers/ is basically your average 13 year old anime girl designed for echii hentai baka perverts.**

The original game also had a question that asked if you preferred soccer or baseball and gave you a morality choice based on it :lol:

*Or you could also choose neither and go into space like the man-child Vincent wants to be.

**No rape or pedophile jokes etc.

Last edited:

Ainu

Full Body is worse than the original I think. The first game had a split choice* between giving into lustfulness with blonde Catherine or sticking with the old ball and chains with tall Catherine. It was a basic uncomplicated parable that worked well enough in a sort of adult-themed manga drama kind of way.

Then they added a third character who despite being /obvious spoilers/ is basically your average 13 year old anime girl designed for echii hentai baka perverts. She adds very little**

The original game also had a question that asked if you preferred soccer or baseball and gave you a morality choice based on it :lol:

*Or you could also choose neither and go into space like the man-child Vincent wants to be.

**No rape or pedophile jokes etc
Yeah I read about the difference between this game and the original, but I think my issues with it run much deeper than that. I clearly didn't interact with the new character enough anyway, that storyline went nowhere. I was just sitting there observing the interactions between Vincent and his mates, his gf and the new girl, and at no point did I think "yup, this sounds like a conversation real people might have".

In games with any sort of morality system or good/evil, chaos/order etc in it, I'm basically always myself. So I try to be a nice person, not an asshole etc. and I felt like the game didn't reflect that at any point. I get that at the end of the day, I'm still playing as Vincent and not myself, but it felt at odds with the game giving me all those choices. It clearly made a difference in the ending, as I got what seemed to me like the most grounded happy ending, but the journey towards it was total nonsense. :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah I read about the difference between this game and the original, but I think my issues with it run much deeper than that. I clearly didn't interact with the new character enough anyway, that storyline went nowhere. I was just sitting there observing the interactions between Vincent and his mates, his gf and the new girl, and at no point did I think "yup, this sounds like a conversation real people might have".

In games with any sort of morality system or good/evil, chaos/order etc in it, I'm basically always myself. So I try to be a nice person, not an asshole etc. and I felt like the game didn't reflect that at any point. I get that at the end of the day, I'm still playing as Vincent and not myself, but it felt at odds with the game giving me all those choices. It clearly made a difference in the ending, as I got what seemed to me like the most grounded happy ending, but the journey towards it was total nonsense. :lol:
I get what you mean and agree it's definitely weak if you look at it in terms of being a 'choice-driven' game.

Generally the story and interactions, including the cutscenes, have very little to do with the path you're moving down. I believe it only changes the game's final cutscene.

What did you think about the puzzles? I really liked that part of the game

Ainu

I get what you mean and agree it's definitely weak if you look at it in terms of being a 'choice-driven' game.

Generally the story and interactions, including the cutscenes, have very little to do with the path you're moving down. I believe it only changes the game's final cutscene.

What did you think about the puzzles? I really liked that part of the game
They were fine for the most part. I like a good puzzle game if I can take my time to figure things out, so playing on easy mode suited me just fine. Apparently that wasn't an option in the original and there was always time pressure? Pretty sure I would've hated that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
That free Matrix Experience demo was alright. Wasn't totally blown away. A fair few frame-rate issues and a few popping up of textures but decent nonetheless.

Meller

Started playing Days Gone a while back, it's decent fun so far. Did one of the bandit camps yeaterday and it took me forever since there's a horde closeby. Those hordes scare me shitless as I don't really like horror games. Still pretty early in the game as well so don't have good weapons and I'm avoiding the hordes for now. Still, it's a good fun game that was free with PS plus.

Ainu

The next chapter of me vs my backlog:

Bugsnax! Played it for an hour or so last night, seems fun. Catching the bugsnax is a pretty satisfying gameplay loop and the characters are funny. There seems to be a central mystery to unravel, so I'm intrigued. This could turn out a lot better than I expected.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Based on my (admittedly still not that extensive) experience with 2D metroidvanias, I thought I'd instantly loved this, but so far, it's been a bit meh. There's something about the movement and combat that doesn't feel very responsive, almost clunky. The level layout is very basic, even compared to a cheap looking indie like Salt and Sanctuary (which is more Dark Souls than metroidvania, but still). I'm not impressed, but I'll give it some more time.

Started playing Days Gone a while back, it's decent fun so far. Did one of the bandit camps yeaterday and it took me forever since there's a horde closeby. Those hordes scare me shitless as I don't really like horror games. Still pretty early in the game as well so don't have good weapons and I'm avoiding the hordes for now. Still, it's a good fun game that was free with PS plus.
It's not a bad game. A bit average, but there's some fun to be had, especially later on when you have the arsenal to take on large hordes.

RedDevilRoshi

Finished playing the Hitman trilogy. Really enjoyable.

Purchased The Quarry but just wondering should I play Until Dawn first or is that game not linked to the story and is a completely different title albeit similar gameplay wise?

caid

Finished playing the Hitman trilogy. Really enjoyable.

Purchased The Quarry but just wondering should I play Until Dawn first or is that game not linked to the story and is a completely different title albeit similar gameplay wise?
Different story.

Irwin99

Can anyone recommend a good gaming chair brand on Amazon or Argos? Don't really wanna pay much more than a hundred quid but we'll see.

Ideally i want one that's somewhat reclineable, will double up as an office chair and won't damage my spine :D .

caid

Can anyone recommend a good gaming chair brand on Amazon or Argos? Don't really wanna pay much more than a hundred quid but we'll see.

Ideally i want one that's somewhat reclineable, will double up as an office chair and won't damage my spine :D .
Buy an office chair. They're just better. Particularly on the not damaging your spine front.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Highly recommended both Pyre and Deaths Door.

Pyre is conceptually so damn good. Putting together your team full of excellently written characters and then essentially playing an excellent sport game, it just flows so well. Best Supergiant game thus far for me.

Deaths Door is also excellent. It hits a really sweet spot of an immersive world, terrific art style, solid gameplay and an element of intrigue/exploration. It's very hard to put down. Great soundtrack too.

caid

I loved Pyre. Best sport game i've played since speedball or something. Kind of wish it had online versus.

Bobski

So I finally completed Doom Eternal after multiple restarts. It is a great game, mechanically, all the tools and options for fighting, the upgrades, freedom of movement. I just don't like the arena battle nature of it, it is just so gamey, a ridiculous thing for someone who has been gaming for 35+ years to complain about, but there you go.

In other news I miss the old Steam Sales, you used to get silly discounts, and the flash deals felt like an event, driving impulse buys. Probably end up buying a few by the end of the sale but my backlog needs serious pruning.

Bobski

Puzzles are the best thing about it, by a long way. Really liked the presentation of them as well as the game play. Super tough towards the end as well.

caid

I bounced off doom eternal once and just didn't want to go back really. I basically died 3 or 4 times in every room i walked into till i figured out where health and ammo and stuff were and that was the 1st or 2nd level. It felt like a well produced slog

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I bounced off doom eternal once and just didn't want to go back really. I basically died 3 or 4 times in every room i walked into till i figured out where health and ammo and stuff were and that was the 1st or 2nd level. It felt like a well produced slog
On another tangent, this is something I've heard quite often about Doom Eternal. It seems like a lot of people found it 'too much'.

Ainu

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is growing on me. The combat still feels little clunky compared to similar titles (I'm really missing a proper dodge) but the shard (magic) system is fun. I guess I didn't really know what to expect going into it, as I've never played a Castlevania game before.

amolbhatia50k

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is growing on me. The combat still feels little clunky compared to similar titles (I'm really missing a proper dodge) but the shard (magic) system is fun. I guess I didn't really know what to expect going into it, as I've never played a Castlevania game before.
This is on my to do list to play soon. This or the messenger not sure which I'll play first. I've also never played a castelvania game.

amolbhatia50k

I loved Pyre. Best sport game i've played since speedball or something. Kind of wish it had online versus.
It would make for an excellent online game even though that's not my mind. Can't find any fault with it so far. It's really been brilliant.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Oh I loved Bloodstained. The gameplay is a bit clunky true but it's oozing with atmosphere. The difficulty is just right and it's really fun hunting round the map to find every nook and cranny.

Ainu

For fans of indie games (or just good games in general), Skill Up has put up a video with 25 titles that caught his eye during this year's Steam Next Fest. For those who don't know it, it was a week long event with hundreds of playable demos from indie studios. It ran until June 20th but a lot of these games still seem to have demos up. Anyway, here's the video, I highly recommend watching it as there's some fantastic looking stuff in there, and Skill Up is just great in general:

I already wishlisted 6 games from this video: Ghost Song, Moonscars (looks insanely good), Nine Sols, Signalis, Terra Nil and Trepang2 (very strong F.E.A.R. vibe).

amolbhatia50k

For fans of indie games (or just good games in general), Skill Up has put up a video with 25 titles that caught his eye during this year's Steam Next Fest. For those who don't know it, it was a week long event with hundreds of playable demos from indie studios. It ran until June 20th but a lot of these games still seem to have demos up. Anyway, here's the video, I highly recommend watching it as there's some fantastic looking stuff in there, and Skill Up is just great in general:

I already wishlisted 6 games from this video: Ghost Song, Moonscars (looks insanely good), Nine Sols, Signalis, Terra Nil and Trepang2 (very strong F.E.A.R. vibe).
Was going to share. It's a a good showcase.

amolbhatia50k

Those three stood out for me too

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

A proper F.E.A.R style game is very welcome. The atmosphere and a.i leap in the first one was insane, I can't think of anything that has really touched it since (certainly not the sequels, that's for sure).

Ainu

A proper F.E.A.R style game is very welcome. The atmosphere and a.i leap in the first one was insane, I can't think of anything that has really touched it since (certainly not the sequels, that's for sure).
Yup, as Skill Up mentions during that Trepang section, the original F.E.A.R. is probably still the high water mark in terms of AI in a first person shooter. Whatever trickery they used, they managed to make it feel as if your enemies were working together as a team, flanking you and flushing you out. The sad part is the only game that comes close is even older, and that's the original Half-Life. No one bothers anymore. The single-player fps is sadly something of a dying breed in general.

He mentions the AI in this one is actually close to F.E.A.R., which sounds great. No idea if it'll have the same horror component and atmosphere, but it certainly looks the part.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yup, as Skill Up mentions during that Trepang section, the original F.E.A.R. is probably still the high water mark in terms of AI in a first person shooter. Whatever trickery they used, they managed to make it feel as if your enemies were working together as a team, flanking you and flushing you out. The sad part is the only game that comes close is even older, and that's the original Half-Life. No one bothers anymore. The single-player fps is sadly something of a dying breed in general.

He mentions the AI in this one is actually close to F.E.A.R., which sounds great. No idea if it'll have the same horror component and atmosphere, but it certainly looks the part.
Funnily enough, talking Half Life, I've just been through Black Mesa. It's not perfect, but all in all not only is it faithful to HL, but the level expansions work very well (in most cases). Well worth a play if anyone has missed it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I have somehow been roped into playing Destiny 2 with some mates. It's very fecking addictive, but I'm not even sure why. It's extremely monotonous and nothing about it is especially good, but I can't stop playing it.

Ainu

Funnily enough, talking Half Life, I've just been through Black Mesa. It's not perfect, but all in all not only is it faithful to HL, but the level expansions work very well (in most cases). Well worth a play if anyone has missed it.
I've been meaning to revisit that at some point. The last time I played it was about 10 years ago, I'm curious to see how it has evolved since then. It was still missing all of the Xen stuff, which is supposed to be a major upgrade over the original Xen (not that hard to be fair).

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have somehow been roped into playing Destiny 2 with some mates. It's very fecking addictive, but I'm not even sure why. It's extremely monotonous and nothing about it is especially good, but I can't stop playing it.
The gunplay and graphics are top tier in Destiny too which helps. I think the loot system works well too for making you want to keep grinding. I did eventually lose interest though once the shine wears off, still a good game though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The gunplay and graphics are top tier in Destiny too which helps. I think the loot system works well too for making you want to keep grinding. I did eventually lose interest though once the shine wears off, still a good game though.
Yeah fair enough, the gunplay is good. The missions are all rather repetitive though. Some amazing encounters littered throughout though, especially with a few mates.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeah fair enough, the gunplay is good. The missions are all rather repetitive though. Some amazing encounters littered throughout though, especially with a few mates.
Yep that is pretty much the main pull. Good gameplay combined with tense encounters with friends, the missions themselves are pretty crap and I cant tell you anything about the lore/story.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yep that is pretty much the main pull. Good gameplay combined with tense encounters with friends, the missions themselves are pretty crap and I cant tell you anything about the lore/story.
It's also insanely user unfriendly. If I didn't have friends to tell me what to do, where to go and how to spend the different items I would be completely clueless on how to even start a campaign.

TrustInJanuzaj

It's also insanely user unfriendly. If I didn't have friends to tell me what to do, where to go and how to spend the different items I would be completely clueless on how to even start a campaign.
Yep that's also very true! I think from my understanding because the game is so large and has been updated so many times, the original campaign has effectively been complete;y removed so the natural tutorial is basically gone at this stage. They lazily readded the one from Destiny 1 as a filler attempt. It does sound a bit messy.