Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Balljy

My mistake, it was @Balljy
Yeah, I noticed that was out but I haven't played it yet, it's had pretty great reviews and seems like it could be just as insane as the first one. I'll definitely get it when it's come down in price a bit, although I might wait a bit to see if it heads to Game Pass soon like the first one.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah, I noticed that was out but I haven't played it yet, it's had pretty great reviews and seems like it could be just as insane as the first one. I'll definitely get it when it's come down in price a bit, although I might wait a bit to see if it heads to Game Pass soon like the first one.
Yeah I had the same thought but I reckon we'll be waiting a while (at least a few months).

I'm still waiting/hoping Nier Replicant comes to GP sometime

Balljy

Yeah I had the same thought but I reckon we'll be waiting a while (at least a few months).

I'm still waiting/hoping Nier Replicant comes to GP sometime
The first one was out a couple of years beforehand I think, so you're probably right. I'll get it in a few months when it's a bit cheaper.

Square Enix games seem to rotate in and out, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Nier Replicant popup in a few months.

Ainu

I've just started playing Tales of Arise and not really sure what to think yet. The battle system will take some getting used to. One early WTF moment is sitting down to rest at my first camp and seeing three in-game options: rest, reminisce and... downloadable content!? That is just weird to advertise in-game in a completely offline single-player title. It doesn't sit well with me.

Just out of curiosity, I checkws what was up for sale, and it immediately has me worried. Several packs of large quantities of in-game currency, two packs of TEN levels for your entire party, four more of 5 levels, a bunch of packs granting doubled exp, skill points, combat points, huge discounts from stores, goldsmiths, boosts to buff time, increasing the consumable carrying capacity to 99, etc. YIKES. Major red flags. As I said I'm only at the start so I can't judge if these things are necessary, but the mere presence of these packs instantly incentivizes developers to artificially impede gameplay systems to steer players towards them. This is not what I want to see in single-player games.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I've just started playing Tales of Arise and not really sure what to think yet. The battle system will take some getting used to. One early WTF moment is sitting down to rest at my first camp and seeing three in-game options: rest, reminisce and... downloadable content!? That is just weird to advertise in-game in a completely offline single-player title. It doesn't sit well with me.

Just out of curiosity, I checkws what was up for sale, and it immediately has me worried. Several packs of large quantities of in-game currency, two packs of TEN levels for your entire party, four more of 5 levels, a bunch of packs granting doubled exp, skill points, combat points, huge discounts from stores, goldsmiths, boosts to buff time, increasing the consumable carrying capacity to 99, etc. YIKES. Major red flags. As I said I'm only at the start so I can't judge if these things are necessary, but the mere presence of these packs instantly incentivizes developers to artificially impede gameplay systems to steer players towards them. This is not what I want to see in single-player games.
From what I remember of it none of the DLC is required as it's not that difficult a game. It'll just make it piss easy to breeze through rather than having to strategise for some bosses by changing your set up/accessories. Agree though, it was weird seeing DLC as an option alongside rest, bit of an immersion breaker :lol:

caid

From what I remember of it none of the DLC is required as it's not that difficult a game. It'll just make it piss easy to breeze through rather than having to strategise for some bosses by changing your set up/accessories. Agree though, it was weird seeing DLC as an option alongside rest, bit of an immersion breaker :lol:
I remember Bioware doing something similar in Dragon Age. Having an npc ad for the dlc in the camp. They got a lot of criticism for it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Platinum #27 & #28 - Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (PS4 & PS5)

Straightforward Plats and decent experience though saw a few bugs in last couple of chapters. PS5 autopopping had a few issues with not popping a few trophies but they were easy to get again by going through chapter select.

Ainu

I've played some more Tales of Arise, it's actually pretty good so far. The combat system is a lot more enjoyable than the mess that was Berseria, the only other Tales game I've played. It feels a lot less button mashy. Looks great as well, a lot more advanced than Berseria but still with a strong artistic identity.

Not everything is great though, the writing varies from mediocre, verbose and heavy handed to downright awful. Nothing new for JRPGs of course. The other annoying thing is team member AI. I've heavily customised the strategy to limit the terrible decisions but in a boss fight with a big attack incoming, they still end up dead too often. Maybe I need to recognise these attacks in advance and manually switch them to an all-out evade strategy. It's not a major deal breaker but far from ideal.

Still, overall it's been an enjoyable experience so far.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I've got a 2 week vacation coming up and I'd love to get the PS5 as its in stock nearby but quite honestly I can't see a game to be excited about, other than GoW: Ragnarock and that is in November. Not to be too nostalgic but there was always a glut to choose from and now, gaming options seem barren. Even the latest for the new console are remakes and re-releases and Rockstar wouldn't even give us Read Dead 1 remastered.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The GT7 circuit experience for Nürburgring is almost impossible to complete on Gold with a controller.

Or I'm just not very good. Could well be the latter

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I've got a 2 week vacation coming up and I'd love to get the PS5 as its in stock nearby but quite honestly I can't see a game to be excited about, other than GoW: Ragnarock and that is in November. Not to be too nostalgic but there was always a glut to choose from and now, gaming options seem barren. Even the latest for the new console are remakes and re-releases and Rockstar wouldn't even give us Read Dead 1 remastered.
What remakes/re-releases does Xbox have exactly?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It might if/when Xbox receives exclusives of the caliber of God of War and cross console gaming becomes a reality.
Do you mean being able to play your games across PS4 and PS5, or playing cross platform multiplayer?

If the latter then that's something I've been really impressed with from both consoles this gen - loads more games are available to play online between Xbox/PS5 than they were last gen.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Destiny 2 made me shelve my new PS5 entirely. I still don't think it's particularly fantastic, but I haven't touched my PS5 in a month.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
can anyone recommend a really sturdy xbox style controller, preferrably with really good quality switches? i'm using a Razer Wolverine and its getting tired... has to be cable, not wifi, and working on PC...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why don't they make good tennis games anymore. I got AO tennis from PS plus, but it's shit. I remember endlessly playing top spin on xbox, it was amazing.

caid

Why don't they make good tennis games anymore. I got AO tennis from PS plus, but it's shit. I remember endlessly playing top spin on xbox, it was amazing.
I think every so often someone releases a classic and it kind of kills off the genre for a few years because no one is going to buy a yearly re release of a tennis game, it'll be the same players as last year. Segas Virtua Tennis, Rockstar had that table tennis game, Namco had a cool cartoony one years back Super Smash Tennis or something. You can probably still buy them all in some form or another.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Top Spin 4 remains the pinnacle.

It's rather crazy that one of the world's best and most beloved sports doesn't get any love from the gaming world. Maybe because it's down on the list of most popular sports in US and Japan the main gaming hubs?

I was hoping Matchpoint would be good but it's got a poor reception.

Bosws87

Top Spin 4 remains the pinnacle.

It's rather crazy that one of the world's best and most beloved sports doesn't get any love from the gaming world. Maybe because it's down on the list of most popular sports in US and Japan the main gaming hubs?

I was hoping Matchpoint would be good but it's got a poor reception.
Nintendo still make a cracking tennis game it's not a sim but its incredibly fun.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I want a good boxing game. In regards to tennis games, they always ended up really easy in the end.

AaronRedDevil

I want a good boxing game. In regards to tennis games, they always ended up really easy in the end.
I’d love another fight night. Insane that fifa shelved it just when boxing was getting very interesting with Anthony, Fury etc.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nintendo still make a cracking tennis game it's not a sim but its incredibly fun.
Which is the latest one? I don't really like the "silly" tennis games, but it's better than the crap sims they have out now on PS.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Some of the reasons I suspect we don't get good sports games anymore:

- High cost for licensing
- Harder to market arcade/casual fun
- They haven't figured out out a good way to include microtransactions, or tried, failed and gave up

What I really want is a sequel to the PS3/PSP versions of Everybody's Golf. The PS4 one was a bit naff

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’d love another fight night. Insane that fifa shelved it just when boxing was getting very interesting with Anthony, Fury etc.
EA are bringing Fight Night back. They're working on it once they've released UFC 5. I can't wait.

In the meantime, I have found quite a lot of enjoyment from UFC 4. Not boxing, but good scrapping nonetheless.

b82REZ

Some of the reasons I suspect we don't get good sports games anymore:

- High cost for licensing
- Harder to market arcade/casual fun
- They haven't figured out out a good way to include microtransactions, or tried, failed and gave up

What I really want is a sequel to the PS3/PSP versions of Everybody's Golf. The PS4 one was a bit naff
They've figured the last point out. Any sport game I play is riddled with microtransactions.

FIFA was basically a yearly subscription service to gain access to the UT microtransaction circus.

I play PGA and that has them too, basically any game they can sell you cosmetics will focus on pushing MTs.

I think with EA losing the FIFA license will see them go F2P with heavy in game purchases.

Volumiza

The Ascent, a game I’ve had in my wish list for a while came on for sale so I bought it. Enjoying it up to this point, looks great and plays well even though the narrative has boggled me a bit so far.

Think a cyber punk Diablo with guns and you’d not be far off the mark. Solo, coop and couch coop included so look forward to trying it with others.

caid

The Ascent, a game I’ve had in my wish list for a while came on for sale so I bought it. Enjoying it up to this point, looks great and plays well even though the narrative has boggled me a bit so far.

Think a cyber punk Diablo with guns and you’d not be far off the mark. Solo, coop and couch coop included so look forward to trying it with others.
Its a solid game. Couch co op is a big plus. Worth it on sale but probably not got the depth for a full price buy.

Volumiza

Same. I love a good tennis game, brilliant if playing with a friend too. It really is a great sport when done well in a game. Sadly, even with all the processing power and graphical prowess of modern machines, tennis games just don’t quite hit the mark like they used to.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
anyone tried powerwash simulator yet? I hate it but can’t stop playing. Who the feck let’s their garden get in that state!

Volumiza

Its a solid game. Couch co op is a big plus. Worth it on sale but probably not got the depth for a full price buy.
Yeah, couch coop is one of the main reasons I bought it. I haven’t played enough yet to really judge the depth of the game but so far, I’m enjoying it.

AaronRedDevil

Imagine another Def Jam. So many shite artists today. Who wouldn't pay to put their heads through a giant speaker. It would sell like feck.