Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
anyone tried powerwash simulator yet? I hate it but can’t stop playing. Who the feck let’s their garden get in that state!
No, I’ve not ventured into that. I did buy lawn mower simulator and also treasure hunter simulator. Both completely, maybe predictably, sh*t.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
No, I’ve not ventured into that. I did buy lawn mower simulator and also treasure hunter simulator. Both completely, maybe predictably, sh*t.
It certainly scratches my OCD itch.

It’s oddly addictive but annoying

Volumiza

It certainly scratches my OCD itch.
You can’t beat that OCD itch mate :)

I had massive bursts on Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 & 2021 for my OCD itch and also House Flipper. Feck me those three games gobbled some time between them. My mates thought I was a right saddo sanding walls and painting stuff before choosing all furniture and pictures

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Same. I love a good tennis game, brilliant if playing with a friend too. It really is a great sport when done well in a game. Sadly, even with all the processing power and graphical prowess of modern machines, tennis games just don’t quite hit the mark like they used to.
The new ones are just so low budget and barebones. AO Tennis is horrible for that. It has no atmosphere at all, very few iconic players and apart from the Australian open all the tournaments are generic, because they don't have any rights.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The Farming one is a bit relaxing. Goat Simulator is probably one of the best as it takes the piss out of the simulator games but it has so much DLC.

Volumiza

The new ones are just so low budget and barebones. AO Tennis is horrible for that. It has no atmosphere at all, very few iconic players and apart from the Australian open all the tournaments are generic, because they don't have any rights.
Totally agree. Tennis games are so simple in concept, modern day versions of the iconic PONG on the Atari. They're all about the feel and atmosphere and I can't remember one I've really enjoyed since Smash Court Pro Tennis on PS2. That was brilliant.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Same. I love a good tennis game, brilliant if playing with a friend too. It really is a great sport when done well in a game. Sadly, even with all the processing power and graphical prowess of modern machines, tennis games just don’t quite hit the mark like they used to.
Hasn't been a good Tennis game since whenever the last Topspin was.

Volumiza

The Farming one is a bit relaxing. Goat Simulator is probably one of the best as it takes the piss out of the simulator games but it has so much DLC.
I did try FS 2018 (or 2019) and lost the will to live after three runs up a field with a plough in real time. Maybe I revisit this and stick with it a bit longer. Always attracted to farming games having grown up playing on my mates farm and now being 15 years into working in agricultural research. Might download it again as I do enjoy some of the sims. Good ones can be really satisfying.

Goat simulator, my kids loved that game so much and we played it so relentlessly that I can barely look at it nowadays without coming out in hives :)

Damien

Staff
I did try FS 2018 (or 2019) and lost the will to live after three runs up a field with a plough in real time. Maybe I revisit this and stick with it a bit longer. Always attracted to farming games having grown up playing on my mates farm and now being 15 years into working in agricultural research. Might download it again as I do enjoy some of the sims. Good ones can be really satisfying.

Goat simulator, my kids loved that game so much and we played it so relentlessly that I can barely look at it nowadays without coming out in hives :)
The mods make FS better as it removes some of the tedious aspects. To be honest I just played it for the easy plat but it was good apart from doing 100 missions or whatever it was

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
anyone tried powerwash simulator yet? I hate it but can’t stop playing. Who the feck let’s their garden get in that state!
I thought people were just joking but it’s actually great for zoning out with some background music, like mining resources in a survival game or fishing in SoT.

Reditus

I thought people were just joking but it’s actually great for zoning out with some background music, like mining resources in a survival game or fishing in SoT.
its a weird one

You start a new stage, realise it will take you ages and not appealing at all. Then an hour later who find yourself still powerwashing every knook and cranny.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
All the game reviewers/ youtubers have been saying that it's genuinely good.

Bobski

Tennis elbow 4 is the best tennis sim available right now. Still in early access and the presentation is basic but the depth of the gameplay destroys the competition.

Tiber

Neopets getting hacked makes me feel oddly sad. It's one of the first websites I ever remember using.

In primary school I used ask jeeves to play games on the cartoon network website and neopets. Feels strange that 2 decades later hackers are using the same site to steal peoples payment info

Any advice for a newcomer to Tarkov? I only just started a few weeks before the wipe. I'm level 12.

My stash is a mess and my economy is a mess.

I pretty quickly invested in a Junk box. But now I hoard junk - which means I don't really have any income anymore. I also have bags full of meds (and bags with junk too)

I fear selling junk cus I know I'll probably end up needing it sooner or later.

I hate my life.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Has anyone played wasteland or wasteland 2? Are they good?

AaronRedDevil

Playing MGS3 again. Still the best game of all time.
Best game series ever imo. MGS4 is my favourite of all time. Just so many epic moments. 3 is a masterpiece in every way. The End is probably the best boss battle of the series. I'm praying that Konami could release a collection of 1-4 someday. Some people havent even played 4 because it was only on the ps3.

Sweet Square

Best game series ever imo. MGS4 is my favourite of all time. Just so many epic moments. 3 is a masterpiece in every way. The End is probably the best boss battle of the series. I'm praying that Konami could release a collection of 1-4 someday. Some people havent even played 4 because it was only on the ps3.
Yep would agree with you that is the best game series although tbh I haven’t played that many other series.

I’m one of the small amount of people who has MGSV(Along with Ground Zero)as their favourite. For me the gameplay in 5 is just so good, there are countless ways to do missions. It’s a game where you spend most of your listening to Kim Wilde while stealing Soviet soldiers in Afghanistan, almost like Kojima designed it for me(I even like the paranoid storyline s and base building sections).

The End is probably the best boss battle of the series.
For me it’s between The End or Psyco Mantis. I would learn towards The End as there are more ways to beat him.

Only recently found out that you can one shot kill him with a sniper, after the wheel chair cut scene ends. Still nothing will beat saving the game and coming back week later to find out that he has died of old age. Also the ladder climb is after The End fight.
I'm praying that Konami could release a collection of 1-4 someday. Some people havent even played 4 because it was only on the ps3.
There have some rumours about them putting out the HD collection again after the took it down from PS Online. I’ve yet to play 4 because it was only on PS3.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Anyone here a fan of Oddworld series and is Oddworld: Soulstorm worth checking out ?

AaronRedDevil

Yep would agree with you that is the best game series although tbh I haven’t played that many other series.

I’m one of the small amount of people who has MGSV(Along with Ground Zero)as their favourite. For me the gameplay in 5 is just so good, there are countless ways to do missions. It’s a game where you spend most of your listening to Kim Wilde while stealing Soviet soldiers in Afghanistan, almost like Kojima designed it for me(I even like the paranoid storyline s and base building sections).

For me it’s between The End or Psyco Mantis. I would learn towards The End as there are more ways to beat him.

Only recently found out that you can one shot kill him with a sniper, after the wheel chair cut scene ends. Still nothing will beat saving the game and coming back week later to find out that he has died of old age. Also the ladder climb is after The End fight.

There have some rumours about them putting out the HD collection again after the took it down from PS Online. I’ve yet to play 4 because it was only on PS3.
I love and hate 5. It's everything it isnt supposed to be imo. Open world, very little cutscenes, got rid of the classic style codec and only 1 or 2 boss fight along with Act 2 being repeat missions. Quiet saved the game for me storywise. But ive platinum it and the gameplay is addictive for me. I always enjoyed that the most.

I'm very jealous you haven't played 4 yet. It's insanely awesome. Very long cutscenes that people don't like but I love it :lol: .

Hopefully we'll get that collection. It's very high time we do get it. Id pay anything for it. I don't care

Last edited:

Reditus

Anyone here a fan of Oddworld series and is Oddworld: Soulstorm worth checking out ?
It was on ps plus. I got around to playing it recently and I did complete the game. It’s probably 6/10 but was far too long

If you like the series you might enjoy it

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Any advice for a newcomer to Tarkov? I only just started a few weeks before the wipe. I'm level 12.

My stash is a mess and my economy is a mess.

I pretty quickly invested in a Junk box. But now I hoard junk - which means I don't really have any income anymore. I also have bags full of meds (and bags with junk too)

I fear selling junk cus I know I'll probably end up needing it sooner or later.

I hate my life.
What's a tarkov?

Reditus

Platinum #29 - Stray (PS5)

@hobbers - you were right about the speed trophy. Got it in 1h 29m 57s. Next up: Spider-Man.
Did you enjoy getting the trophy were you can’t get touched by the little insect things

hobbers

Platinum #29 - Stray (PS5)

@hobbers - you were right about the speed trophy. Got it in 1h 29m 57s. Next up: Spider-Man.
Noice. Kinda regret doing it all in the first couple of days now, wish it was a longer game.

Is that Miles Morales or the one before? Cant remember what it was but there were some trophies in Miles Morales I could not be bothered with.

Reditus

That was a bit of a pain. Then when I did the speedrun I managed to get through it first time without the zurks touching me.
It took me I reckon about 50 goes

Tried it almost 30-40 times and nearly broke my controller. Turned it off and came back hours later and suddenly got close and knew I could do it and managed it soon after

Sweet Square

I love and hate 5. It's everything it isnt supposed to be imo. Open world, very little cutscenes, got rid of the classic style codec and only 1 or 2 boss fight along with Act 2 being repeat missions. Quiet saved the game for me storywise. But ive platinum it and the gameplay is addictive for me. I always enjoyed that the most.
Yeah 5 is really over the place. Are the repeating missions, Kojima way of showing the endles paranoia and meaningless of the war economy or konami pushing for a release day. Almost everything in the game is like that.

One of the reasons imo why it’s such a great series is that it can contain so many different styles(Imo MGS 3 is the best as it has the perfect blend of all them)

I'm very jealous you haven't played 4 yet. It's insanely awesome. Very long cutscenes that people don't like but I love it :lol: .

Hopefully we'll get that collection. It's very high time we do get it. Id pay anything for it. I don't care
It’s mad that the last remake of MGS1 was a GameCube game. It seem to be pure spite from Konami as series sold really well and as you say we would all pay almost anything for remake of all 4 main games.

amolbhatia50k

5's gameplay is fantastic. Best of the series. But I agree that the move away from the hallmarks of the series - excellent bosses, long cinematic cutscenes etc makes it a lesser and more generic game. Growing up, for me, every MGS game release was a huge moment for the gamer in me. I played the damn demo of 2 so frickin many times. The rain, the ship, Olga, it was all hard to fathom at the time for the sheer spectacle , visual fidelity and cinematic quality. But three sits at the top of the tree. One of the best games ever made.

Damien

Staff
Noice. Kinda regret doing it all in the first couple of days now, wish it was a longer game.

Is that Miles Morales or the one before? Cant remember what it was but there were some trophies in Miles Morales I could not be bothered with.
The one before. The trophies for Spider-Man look fairly straightforward. Not a fan of lists that require a second playthrough but Insomniac games tend to be on the shorter side so not as bad.
It took me I reckon about 50 goes

Tried it almost 30-40 times and nearly broke my controller. Turned it off and came back hours later and suddenly got close and knew I could do it and managed it soon after
Similar happened to me. Was struggling, turned it off and went back to it the next day (watching a couple of videos beforehand). Changed a few settings and got it soon after.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
The one before. The trophies for Spider-Man look fairly straightforward. Not a fan of lists that require a second playthrough but Insomniac games tend to be on the shorter side so not as bad.

Similar happened to me. Was struggling, turned it off and went back to it the next day (watching a couple of videos beforehand). Changed a few settings and got it soon after.
Miles Morales is easy to replays anyway, just do NG+ on easy and it'll only take 2-4 hours at most.

AaronRedDevil

5's gameplay is fantastic. Best of the series. But I agree that the move away from the hallmarks of the series - excellent bosses, long cinematic cutscenes etc makes it a lesser and more generic game. Growing up, for me, every MGS game release was a huge moment for the gamer in me. I played the damn demo of 2 so frickin many times. The rain, the ship, Olga, it was all hard to fathom at the time for the sheer spectacle , visual fidelity and cinematic quality. But three sits at the top of the tree. One of the best games ever made.
Yep I felt that way too. I remember holding onto MGS 2, 3 and 4 like it was the Holy grail leaving gamestop back in the day. Get the day off school and play the shite out of it. Good Times. Only game series that makes me feel that way. Each one is special.

Ainu

Just finished Tales of Arise, pretty good JRPG for the most part. Some random thoughts.

Positives:
- It's a beautiful game, both artistically and technically. Most outdoor areas look fantastic with some stunning vistas here and there. There's a good variety in environments and the level design is decent.
- The combat is pretty good, if somewhat flawed. It can get a little too hectic at times and sometimes seems in conflict with itself; the game wants you to maintain long combos but at the same time also encourages a reactive style with perfect dodges and counter-attacks. But it remained fun throughout the +-80 hours I've played. Getting in and out of battle is super fast, which helps.
- The characters are interesting and all have distinct roles in battle, which I like. Voice acting is mostly good (with some exceptions). The story was intriguing enough and I liked the execution for most of the game.

Negatives:
- Enemy variety feels limited and is just a colour palette swap in many cases. Mini-bosses get re-used as regular enemies too often on top of that.
- Difficulty balancing is weird on the normal setting. The overwhelming majority of the encounters feel far too easy and then suddenly you encounter a stupidly difficult boss, so upping the difficulty never felt like an option for me.
- The main character's voice actor is far too melodramatic for me. It's not constant, but frequent enough to be annoying. He just totally overacts and it took me out of some story moments.
- The narrative, pacing and (the already wonky) balancing completely breaks down in the final third, souring what had been a fine game up to that point. It's not enough the ruin it and, in terms of narrative at least, I guess that's just anime for you, but it's clearly a major point against the game. It becomes an insane slog.

All things considered, a solid 7/10 game if you can look past some of the annoyances. It's certainly miles better than the (imo) awful Berseria, the only other Tales game I've played. I enjoy it enough to continue with some of the higher level and post-game content I still have left. After Berseria I had almost written off this series but this game has made me cautiously optimistic for the next one.

amolbhatia50k

Miles Morales was so much fun.

On the other hand I gave The Surge a go and that was incredibly disappointing. Felt like a cheap knock off rather than a good addition to the genre. The combat is actually good but the game is poorly designed and put together.

Ainu

Miles Morales was so much fun.

On the other hand I gave The Surge a go and that was incredibly disappointing. Felt like a cheap knock off rather than a good addition to the genre. The combat is actually good but the game is poorly designed and put together.
I tried that game out a couple of years ago and couldn't really get into it either. I didn't get far but the level design just didn't do it for me. I'm reluctant to give it another chance as there are simply better games in the genre that I haven't tried yet.

On another note, I played and finished Death's Door over the last couple of days. It's a nice enough game with a striking art style, good soundtrack and satisfying combat, but I couldn't help being slightly underwhelmed after all the praise it received. The sense of mystery and exploration feels a bit lacking compared to something like Tunic. And I can't say I'm a big fan of a metroidvania without any sort of in-game map, due to the amount of backtracking that's required. I know there are certain older classics in the genre that didn't have a map either, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. The post-game seems to be even more backtracking, so I'm just going to leave it there.

I've now moved on to Chasm, a 2D metroidvania that's apparently procedurally generated. Seems nothing special so far, not sure I'll stick with it.