Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

AaronRedDevil

Horizon Forbidden West delayed till 2022. Not surprised. Every game ever is coming out next year. Jeez there's hasn't been a proper big game yet and it's nearly 2 years. Feels like they released the PS5 too early.

Ainu

Just need to vent about PGA Tour 2k21. Wells Fargo championship, fourth round, 18th hole, playing in the final group and leading by 2 shots. I play conservatively for a bogey and lose the tournament by 2 shots. I'm supposed to accept Tony Finau hit a hole-in-one on a brutal 500 yard par 4. :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just need to vent about PGA Tour 2k21. Wells Fargo championship, fourth round, 18th hole, playing in the final group and leading by 2 shots. I play conservatively for a bogey and lose the tournament by 2 shots. I'm supposed to accept Tony Finau hit a hole-in-one on a brutal 500 yard par 4. :lol:
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. If somebody hits a hole-in-one on a 500 yarder they totally deserve to win the championship.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
In other news, I'm thoroughly enjoying Skyward Sword. The formula is pretty derivative and the motion controls are ropey but it's well put together and an excellent game to play while listening to podcasts.
If it was anything other than Zelda (it didn't actually start as a Zelda title either, it reminds me of Mario 2), people would hold it in higher regards.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
In other news, I'm thoroughly enjoying Skyward Sword. The formula is pretty derivative and the motion controls are ropey but it's well put together and an excellent game to play while listening to podcasts.

That was my first draft :lol:
Imagine paying £450 to listen to podcasts :lol:

Redlambs

That was my first draft :lol:
;)

It's the Dark Souls of golf games. I just didn't realize I was in a boss fight. :(
No one ever talks about fake difficulty and AI in games any more. We all know about Mario Kart rubber banding, but somehow don't see the cheap tricks in other games!

Dark Souls and the soulsborne titles (well apart from maybe some parts of DS2 and Sekiro) stand alone in fighting that trend.

Ainu

;)

No one ever talks about fake difficulty and AI in games any more. We all know about Mario Kart rubber banding, but somehow don't see the cheap tricks in other games!

Dark Souls and the soulsborne titles (well apart from maybe some parts of DS2 and Sekiro) stand alone in fighting that trend.
I'm not even so sure about that last part. I'd consider them fair for the most part, but I certainly felt like there were some cases of infinite AI stamina, excessive hyper armour, hilarious tracking attacks and wonky hitboxes here and there.

Redlambs

I'm not even so sure about that last part. I'd consider them fair for the most part, but I certainly felt like there were some cases of infinite AI stamina, excessive hyper armour, hilarious tracking attacks and wonky hitboxes here and there.
True.

But then compared to games that have tried to be "difficult" since, or most often plain lazy ones, then I guess it's the best we can hope for!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Are you sure he hit a hole in one? Sometimes they're still playing when you finish and have a few holes left.

Great game though, feckin love it. Very smooth on the ps5 too.

Ainu

Are you sure he hit a hole in one? Sometimes they're still playing when you finish and have a few holes left.

Great game though, feckin love it. Very smooth on the ps5 too.
It shows the leaderboard after each hole and he was -7 thru 17 and then -10 at the end. We can't know for sure what the game does though, as there's no way to inspect AI score cards, which is slightly annoying.

I do like the actual golf though. What swing difficulty are you playing on? I find pro swing to be more than challenging enough. I've tried master but the timing is brutal. You could counter it with more forgiving clubs but then you're struggling to hit 270-280 with a driver, which pretty much rules out reaching any par 5 in 2.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It shows the leaderboard after each hole and he was -7 thru 17 and then -10 at the end. We can't know for sure what the game does though, as there's no way to inspect AI score cards, which is slightly annoying.

I do like the actual golf though. What swing difficulty are you playing on? I find pro swing to be more than challenging enough. I've tried master but the timing is brutal. You could counter it with more forgiving clubs but then you're struggling to hit 270-280 with a driver, which pretty much rules out reaching any par 5 in 2.
I think I'm using custom settings at the moment, made it not stressful to play, but not overly simple. Probably less than pro difficulty but may go beyond that soon tbh

AaronRedDevil

Anyone know a good cheap Gaming laptop. Just mainly use it to play the new Age of Empries 4 and maybe one or 2 other strategy games. Max price about 500 quid. Don’t really care about graphics or specs since I barely know anything about it myself. Just that it runs well enough.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oh my God.

My first reaction was one of shock and excitement, but now I'd rather wait and see how the remastered games will look. If anything, this means that a new GTA game will take longer to come out.

Bosws87

Oh my God.

My first reaction was one of shock and excitement, but now I'd rather wait and see how the remastered games will look. If anything, this means that a new GTA game will take longer to come out.
Rockstar is dead, there's got to be more to the lack of new release and the founder leaving maybe one day we will find out.

I have no interest in rehashed GTA.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
There's no downside to it for Rockstar. Anybody over 30 will be foaming at the nostalgia berries and anybody younger will probably pick them up because they weren't even sperm when 3/Vice City launched. It's a totally effective business model for relatively little effort.

Buys some time until GTA VI, I guess.

Balljy

There's no downside to it for Rockstar. Anybody over 30 will be foaming at the nostalgia berries and anybody younger will probably pick them up because they weren't even sperm when 3/Vice City launched. It's a totally effective business model for relatively little effort.

Buys some time until GTA VI, I guess.
I'm sure it will work for Rockstar, but I think there comes a point when we're just bored of remasters. It's being touted as a remaster rather than a remake so will likely seem quite bare and with mediocre features compared to modern games. Eventually people will get bored of buying yet another one.

I'm sure that's why Rockstar are doing it now as there seems to be a bit of a craze for the at the moment and they'll happily jump on that bandwagon. I'm completely unexcited by this which is weird as I love GTA games.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm sure it will work for Rockstar, but I think there comes a point when we're just bored of remasters. It's being touted as a remaster rather than a remake so will likely seem quite bare and with mediocre features compared to modern games. Eventually people will get bored of buying yet another one.

I'm sure that's why Rockstar are doing it now as there seems to be a bit of a craze for the at the moment and they'll happily jump on that bandwagon. I'm completely unexcited by this which is weird as I love GTA games.
I hear ya. The only interest I have in remasters/makes personally are for games I haven't played before. Like I bought Skyward Sword HD recently because I didn't play it when it originally came out. I'm also planning to buy Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - again, never played it.

Would I - and I hate this phrase - 'double dip' if I'd already played these titles? No way.

el3mel

Ever since I started work 3 weeks ago I feel like I don't have time nor desire to play games anymore. I return from work, sleep, then wake up to find the day is almost finished, I can either read some books in my speciality or watch some football matches then sleep for next day.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I picked up all the Dark Souls games in the recent digital sale on PS5. Been playing Dark Souls Remastered for the last couple of days. I feel like more than the difficulty of the combat, I just don't have a clue what is going on with half the systems. What is the advantage of being Hollow? I went for a basic sword and board warrior build and I've just tried to spread my skills around when leveling up (think I'm level 19). All I'm focused on is exploring as much as possible and trying to find secret pathways and gear etc. I just managed to climb the church, beat a boss, and ring the bell but absolutely no idea what that achieved.

Does anyone have any general tips for a new player?

Bosws87

I picked up all the Dark Souls games in the recent digital sale on PS5. Been playing Dark Souls Remastered for the last couple of days. I feel like more than the difficulty of the combat, I just don't have a clue what is going on with half the systems. What is the advantage of being Hollow? I went for a basic sword and board warrior build and I've just tried to spread my skills around when leveling up (think I'm level 19). All I'm focused on is exploring as much as possible and trying to find secret pathways and gear etc. I just managed to climb the church, beat a boss, and ring the bell but absolutely no idea what that achieved.

Max Hp (Vit) and either STR or DEX depending on what weapons you are using to the soft cap as quick as possible and some stamina to.

I believe the first soft cap on Vitality is 30 and Strength/Dex is 20

caid

I think you can summon other players or npc's to help you when your not hollow. Its not particularly important. Focus on Vitality, Strength and Dexterity. Your looking for Blighttown next, go down basically. Looking to ring another bell, which will open up other stuff.
Claymore is great for weapons.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Okay so Outer Wilds is becoming a real struggle for me. While playing it I started Disco Elysium as I like to have 2 games, and the difference between the two is laughably huge. I mean, Disco Elysium has been brilliant so far and I never got expected that from Outer Wilds but I also didnt think it'd be such a chore. It obviously has barely any gameplay to speak of, which given its an action-RPG is a tad disappointing but after the novelty of being able to pick a witty/quirky dialogue option wears thin, there is surprisingly little of interest. Once I got around half way on, it's just the same old boring loop of speak to A, so you can resolve B and then kill/do C for A to resolve B. Rinse and repeat, with new locations/skins and new bland companions.

Genuinely contemplating giving up on it at this stage.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

Max Hp (Vit) and either STR or DEX depending on what weapons you are using to the soft cap as quick as possible and some stamina to.

I believe the first soft cap on Vitality is 30 and Strength/Dex is 20
Is there any advantage to changing weapons around? I’ve just stuck with my original long sword because I’ve kind of got used to the way it handles.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think you can summon other players or npc's to help you when your not hollow. Its not particularly important. Focus on Vitality, Strength and Dexterity. Your looking for Blighttown next, go down basically. Looking to ring another bell, which will open up other stuff.
Claymore is great for weapons.
Okay thanks I think I know where you mean with Blighttown. Is there any way to mange your weight capacity because I keep finding cool armour and weapons but it makes me so heavy that I can barely move. Feel like the mobility is so important that I end up using worse, lighter stuff. I’ll have to try the claymore, I think I picked one of them up.

Ainu

Okay so Outer Wilds is becoming a real struggle for me. While playing it I started Disco Elysium as I like to have 2 games, and the difference between the two is laughably huge. I mean, Disco Elysium has been brilliant so far and I never got expected that from Outer Wilds but I also didnt think it'd be such a chore. It obviously has barely any gameplay to speak of, which given its an action-RPG is a tad disappointing but after the novelty of being able to pick a witty/quirky dialogue option wears thin, there is surprisingly little of interest. Once I got around half way on, it's just the same old boring loop of speak to A, so you can resolve B and then kill/do C for A to resolve B. Rinse and repeat, with new locations/skins and new bland companions.

It sounds like you're talking about The Outer Worlds and not Outer Wilds. I didn't think The Outer Worlds was particularly interesting either and dropped it fairly early on.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeh I had the same thing with Outer Worlds it’s just not all that good. The environments are pretty, the characters can be good. The gameplay is really poor though and I think in a game like that, you have to rely on solid combat. That’s the reason a game like Days Gone or Rage 2 are pretty fun and playable, because their combat at least remains fun.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A
It sounds like you're talking about The Outer Worlds and not Outer Wilds. I didn't think The Outer Worlds was particularly interesting either and dropped it fairly early on.
Ah of course. I absolutely adore Outer Wilds, which is among my games of this generation.