Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Bojan11

Bobby is picking up his 200m bonus and sacking people. That guy is the biggest scumbag in gaming.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
First platinum today, horizon zero dawn.

Hardest part? The watcher hunting grounds challenge where you had to silent strike them.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Why is there far more backlash for the 6 days in Fallujah game than COD or Rainbow 6 etc...?

Totally fair if anti-war / anti army. But seems this game in particular is receiving a lot more controversy

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Does anyone else find it hard to get into some games? I find myself either dismissing a game quite quickly or getting used to the mechanics and then feeling almost like ‘yeah I get it’ and then losing interest.

An example is Super Hot. I played it for 20 mins thinking yeah this is a cool concept. But then not long after I feel like I’ve seen all it has to offer me. I played Hello Neighbour for 5 minutes and lost interest. Did the same for the FF7 remake and Ratchet & Clank. I know certain games might just not appeal to me but I never really understand how some games have such a dedicated fan base. Some games come and go as trends but you see some people constantly playing that one game even though it’s basically dead. I never get that.

Conversely when I do get into a game it’s great and I could play it for ages. I got into Dead by Daylight recently and played that a lot over the course of about two weeks but even with that I feel like once I’ve gotten good at being both survivor and killer the game has nothing left for me to achieve. I never feel the need to reach the highest level or collect all the shit.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Does anyone else find it hard to get into some games? I find myself either dismissing a game quite quickly or getting used to the mechanics and then feeling almost like ‘yeah I get it’ and then losing interest.

An example is Super Hot. I played it for 20 mins thinking yeah this is a cool concept. But then not long after I feel like I’ve seen all it has to offer me. I played Hello Neighbour for 5 minutes and lost interest. Did the same for the FF7 remake and Ratchet & Clank. I know certain games might just not appeal to me but I never really understand how some games have such a dedicated fan base. Some games come and go as trends but you see some people constantly playing that one game even though it’s basically dead. I never get that.

Conversely when I do get into a game it’s great and I could play it for ages. I got into Dead by Daylight recently and played that a lot over the course of about two weeks but even with that I feel like once I’ve gotten good at being both survivor and killer the game has nothing left for me to achieve. I never feel the need to reach the highest level or collect all the shit.
Sort of know what you mean as I used to be the same in the sense that if a game didn’t grip me quickly I’d give up with it; but I tend to be a bit more patient now and give them a bit more time, which I think works well. Some games do take a bit of time to get going.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Yeh, I'm the exact same, the number of games I'll download, play for an hour then delete immediately is stupid. I've even bought a number of games I haven't touched. I am trying to be more patient on the games I'm actually enjoying though and also making sure If I put a game down I pick it back up again. I recently picked up Days Gone again and ended up giving it another 30 hours and getting the plat which I really enjoyed.

No doubt about it though the biggest change for me is the trophy hunting, reading posts from Damien et al on here have made me much more likely to push on and try and get those extra trophies. I cant manage it all the time but I'm really trying to keep it in mind more now. I had two in the entirety of the previous four gens and now managed an additional 3 on PS5.

el3mel

I have like more than 10 games in by backlog that I have bought last few months and still didn't touch them. I don't know when I'll finish all of these, almost feels like a delayed work rather than sort of entertainment at the moment. :lol:

I need to stop buying games till I decide to play them. The problem is I see a good sale and I become afraid it might be a long time till it get another discount again.

Well then, one at time I guess.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I find I'm getting worse for it the older I get.

Bojan11

Why is there far more backlash for the 6 days in Fallujah game than COD or Rainbow 6 etc...?

Totally fair if anti-war / anti army. But seems this game in particular is receiving a lot more controversy
Saw the thread on resetera as I haven’t heard of the game before all the backlash.

What happened in Fallujah?
A lot of things happened but I'll try to share some. On 28th of April, 2003, Americans opened fire on some 200 civilians who had violated a curfew they had imposed. This resulted in the death of some 17 civilians and wounded more than 70 others. Human rights watch has confirmed the event. US would later reestablish their control over the city and for that they would use white phosphorus. Now the use of white phosphorus based incendiaries on people is considered illegal. Surprisingly, they had called out the Iraqi government in 1991 over the use of white phosphorus. The US forces would also kill 100s of innocent civilians and children which they defended by saying that civilians were given enough time to evacuate the city (men of fighting age were stopped). In the two battles of Fallujah around 1200 civilians were killed. Overall since the start of war on terror, over 7000 civilians have lost their lives.

So what's the Problem with six days in Fallujah?
The problem in game stems from its chosen narrative perspective. The game promises to deliver an authentic account of the events in Fallujah, however, it portrays the marines (the murderers, war criminals) as the innocents who had to endure such a hard time. The game trailers use these real life america's got talent style interviews to give you a very personal perspective. The interviewees have these watery eyes to make us sympathize with them. Mate, these are the killers. Why do you want us to feel sorry for them?? The game trailers actively portray the americans as the liberators when we know that's not the case. The entire damn war was illegal to begin with. As stated by Peter Tamte, founder and CEO, defended the studio saying "this generation showed great sacrifice and courage in Iraq as remarkable as any in history" Aaaa no? The US forces killed civilians in Fallujah, there is nothing remarkable in that.
Why the hate?
This game isn't about an accurate depiction. This game isn't about telling you the real events of Fallujah. The sole purpose of the game is to alter the mainstream perception of the events. Many people who play this game might not know what happened in Fallujah, they might not have researched it or they might have not been born when everything was going down. This will be their history book. For the longest time games like COD have used references to mask history. It is perfectly possible that when you mention highway of death people think about that COD mission where "evil Russians" wreak havoc and not the highway that was bombed to shit by the coalition forces. However, 6 days in fallujah takes things a step further. By choosing what to tell and what not to tell, and how to tell, they mask the war crimes committed by the marines. It is an attempt to change history. The plan is simple, repeat the lie so many times that everyone believes it's the truth. This isn't free speech, this is injustice to the victims of the war. The developers have a responsibility to accurately depict the events and if they can't for any reason then they should just quite the development.

Reditus

Saw the thread on resetera as I haven’t heard of the game before all the backlash.

yeah I saw the thread earlier. I feel a bit stupid now as I just saw it as another war game.

Glad I didnt ask on resetera, as I would have been in trouble

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Platinum #17 - Teslagrad (PS4)

Quite a fun game in the end. Had a few trophies that were difficult for me to get but really pleased that I managed to get them all on a game that requires a fair bit of coordination for someone with poor coordination.

@Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

Quite a fun game in the end. Had a few trophies that were difficult for me to get but really pleased that I managed to get them all on a game that requires a fair bit of coordination for someone with poor coordination.

@Olly Gunnar Solskjær
Good job, I don't know what trophies or achievements the game had, but I can imagine there were some tough ones in there.

Reditus

@Olly Gunnar Solskjær
I’ve never heard of that game, but well done. I am also a keen trophy hunter

I’m in the middle of AC Valhalla. It’s a massive game and going to take me 120 hours + to get the platinum, but I will do it.

Irwin99

They're remastering the original Rome: Total War. Probably the game I've put the most hours into in my life so I'm obviously beyond delighted.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/885970/Total_War_ROME_REMASTERED/
Only just seen this. If they could mix in a few elements that I liked in RTW2 and subsequent games with a harder battle difficulty I'll be very happy. The diplomacy in the first game was horrible and irritating if I remember correctly. The music though :drool:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Good job, I don't know what trophies or achievements the game had, but I can imagine there were some tough ones in there.
Was basically just to collect all the scrolls - one trophy per scroll. This one being the most difficult (obviously not my footage):

Took the first half of the England game to do but did it. Don't think @Brocky @afrocentricity @Adam-Utd would believe that the same person who struggles with jumping puzzles on Destiny managed to do something like that.

I’ve never heard of that game, but well done. I am also a keen trophy hunter

I’m in the middle of AC Valhalla. It’s a massive game and going to take me 120 hours + to get the platinum, but I will do it.
It was free on PS+ a few years back. Challenging in places but fun. Good luck in your quest.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@Damien Well done mate, I guess 2D is more your sort of thing :lol:

Vault of glass is making a return next season in Destiny, you'll have to give it another shot! :D

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Was basically just to collect all the scrolls - one trophy per scroll. This one being the most difficult (obviously not my footage):

Took the first half of the England game to do but did it. Don't think @Brocky @afrocentricity @Adam-Utd would believe that the same person who struggles with jumping puzzles on Destiny managed to do something like that.
Ah right, good job! I don't think I could be bothered with that kind of thing tbh :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Got to be honest, I didn't know anything about this game. It's called esports boxing club and it's being made by a UK development team. It's still in Alpha at the moment so probably won't release for a while, but in this video, they go over what they're currently working on and it looks incredible. I was a huge fan of Fight Night so it would be nice to have a new boxing game to play.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Subnautica isn't for me.

Collect 3 copper ore to turn into a battery to power the flashlight to find the thingy. Don't have the patience for those games anymore.

Irwin99

Have only played a few hours of Subnautica and i'm not sure if it's for me or if it's something that will grow on me in time.

Just finished the one bit of free DLC for RE7 (Not a Hero) which was ok/decent. It got me in the mood for Village.

Siorac

I'm 20 hours in with Persona 5, completed the first palace but I still can't decide if I like the game or not. The combat gets repetitive when doing a longer session of dungeon crawling and there's basically no gameplay outside it. Also, the time mechanic is frustratingly obtuse: you can travel all over the city and do shopping without losing any time at all but crafting a single lockpick takes an entire afternoon.

Bosws87

I'm 20 hours in with Persona 5, completed the first palace but I still can't decide if I like the game or not. The combat gets repetitive when doing a longer session of dungeon crawling and there's basically no gameplay outside it. Also, the time mechanic is frustratingly obtuse: you can travel all over the city and do shopping without losing any time at all but crafting a single lockpick takes an entire afternoon.
I felt the same really wanted to like it but the game mechanics just boring and repetitive, i know its considered a great game so it was annoying i couldn't see past it.

el3mel

Anyone play Disco Elysium? Any good?
It's great and unique experience unlike probably anything else you played before, though you have to know to first it doesn't have any sort of combat and it has ton of dialogue and reading. The RPG elements in your stats and dialogue options are magnificently well done though, and the story is great (even though I found the ending a little bit anti climatic). It revolved around solving a crime in a sort of a mystery thriller, but at the same time dives deep into the human psychology of the protagonist.

I heard that the new PS version will have voice acting (because the original game barely had any) so this might lessen the reading part a bit.

Definitely worth experiencing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really enjoyed it up to the 50 hour mark. But doing the palace routine again and again and again was not my thing. That game cut in half would be brilliant. The presentation, music, mechanics and even combat (I usually dislike turn based) all worked really well, but definitely not something I can keep repeating for 100-150 hours.

amolbhatia50k

Have only played a few hours of Subnautica and i'm not sure if it's for me or if it's something that will grow on me in time.

Just finished the one bit of free DLC for RE7 (Not a Hero) which was ok/decent. It got me in the mood for Village.
I decided to try Enter the Gungeon and ABZU first as I knew Subautica was the one I really wanted to play. Enter the Gungeon seems nice and all but 20 plus hours of constant 2D shooting is not something I can get into right now. And ABZU seems pretty and artsy but superficial just like Journey was.

amolbhatia50k

I definitely find myself more rigid/picky with age when it comes to gaming. The other thing is, that unless the game is brilliant, I tend to be 'done' with it before it's actually done. So I either just watch the ending/cutscenes for the rest online, or in some cases power my way through to get through the thing. These days if I actually genuinely finish the thing, it means I've had a real blast with it.

It's the lack of time we have as we get older. As a college student one had feck all to do. So we wouldn't sigh at things getting a bit monotonous or laborious, and feel we're wasting free time.

Siorac

I definitely find myself more rigid/picky with age when it comes to gaming. The other thing is, that unless the game is brilliant, I tend to be 'done' with it before it's actually done. So I either just watch the ending/cutscenes for the rest online, or in some cases power my way through to get through the thing. These days if I actually genuinely finish the thing, it means I've had a real blast with it.

It's the lack of time we have as we get older. As a college student one had feck all to do. So we wouldn't sigh at things getting a bit monotonous or laborious, and feel we're wasting free time.
Yeah, same here. And I'm far less willing to give a game a chance. If it doesn't grab me in the first 10 hours or so, then sorry game, you had your moment and you blew it.

I dropped the Last of Us like a hot potato because while I am curious about where the story goes, I just couldn't put up with the gameplay. I might give it another chance - because everyone praises it as a masterpiece - but the idea of just watching the story on YouTube is very appealing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I bought the PS5 Tony Hawk remaster the other day and for the first hour I was worried I'd made a mistake but it actually all came flooding back to me and I started playing how I used to as a kid. That was nice.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I haven't played Persona but I have a longstanding opinion about JRPGs that their primary audience is a type of gamer with a lot of free time which doesn't translate to most people.

I find you really have to be really motivated by them, okay with focusing on one game for long stretches, and fine avoiding everything else otherwise in the months it takes to finish.

I do this sometimes granted as I'm playing Lost Odyssey atm and about 45 hours in, but it's not something I want to do more than once a year.

Edit - I remember now, I avoided Persona because I heard it took like 100 hours or something silly.