Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Jacob

Monster Squad
A group of young friend attempt to save their neighborhood from Count Dracula and his squad of monsters. This was ok but not great and was missing the charm most of these 80s gone have. Was surprised considering it was written by Shane Black 4/10

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald

Looked very impressive. The visuals and especially the beasts were great but really felt like the middle film in a trilogy nobody gives a feck about 4/10

One Hour Photo

A disillusioned photography worker gets obsessed with a normal family, putting their lives in danger. Really well acted, never seen Robin Williams in a role like this before. Just hope the film went even darker towards the end. Was slightly flat after a great start 6/10

Stockholm

During hostage negotiations, the captives of a bank heist find themselves agreeing with the bank robber. Based on the true story that created the term 'Stockholm Syndrome'. Decent movie but felt like a worse version of Dog Day Afternoon. Ethan Hawke was brilliant in it though 6/10

Steel Country

After a boy is found dead in a lake, the town sheriff puts it down to drowning but a truck driver with Asperger's Syndrome sets out to investigate on his own, discovering some dark truths and putting his own life into danger. Really enjoyed this. Good mystery and such a great performance by this actor I've never heard of 8/10
Where did you find Steel Country?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Angel Has Fallen (2019)

Sticks to the winning formula of the previous two films in the series. Some really OTT moments, including 'at the cabin' (don't want to say more than that because spoiler) but then again what film of this type doesn't?

The plot isn't anything we haven't seen before but if action movies are you favourite genre (as they are mine) you will enjoy it.

Will give this a solid 8/10 and recommendation for action fans.
Enjoyed this. The odd gripe but a really solid movie.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Where did you find Steel Country?
Saw it on the plane to Malaysia.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Quentin Tarantino is truly a master at his craft. Doesn't follow film structure and conventions and creates something that no other director in this day and age would even attempt. Loved it. The second act could have been a little less meandering but the first and last act are truly special. I wish he's lying when he says this is his penultimate film 8.5/10

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
John Wick 3. An entertaining slice of silly for 35 minutes or so and then you get more of the same, then more again. Same choreography, same angles, same too dark lighting, just with a reskinned environment. There's the odd dog, horse or motorcycle thrown in but 900 of the thousand corpses die by the same counter headshot. There's even less story than the previous films but now you get a tangled plot that keeps folding back on itself. He abandons Wick, he helps Wick, he shoots wick, but not really, best buds, or not, or yes. They pledge, they renege, I promise, hehe crossed fingers. Over and over. A futile journey on the back of shallow character whims.

The bureaucrat angle was fun but all this good stuff is weighed down by the films repetitiveness and lack of contrast.

You could cut a brilliant, tight 80 minute action movie from this bloated, needlessly convoluted indulgence. You wouldn't miss the other 50 minutes. I doubt I'll be back for 4.

Tarrou

Parasite 2019 - Great film by Joon Ho Bong. I guess I can start to write off Snowpiercer off as a bit of a blip on the resume. 8.5/10

Member 39557

John Wick 3. An entertaining slice of silly for 35 minutes or so and then you get more of the same, then more again. Same choreography, same angles, same too dark lighting, just with a reskinned environment. There's the odd dog, horse or motorcycle thrown in but 900 of the thousand corpses die by the same counter headshot. There's even less story than the previous films but now you get a tangled plot that keeps folding back on itself. He abandons Wick, he helps Wick, he shoots wick, but not really, best buds, or not, or yes. They pledge, they renege, I promise, hehe crossed fingers. Over and over. A futile journey on the back of shallow character whims.

The bureaucrat angle was fun but all this good stuff is weighed down by the films repetitiveness and lack of contrast.

You could cut a brilliant, tight 80 minute action movie from this bloated, needlessly convoluted indulgence. You wouldn't miss the other 50 minutes. I doubt I'll be back for 4.
The first 30 minutes were excellent. Then it did go downhill. I had the same issues as you with repetitiveness in John Wick 2. I kind of expected it in this one, so I didn't find it as disappointing.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The “gun fu” thing is baffling to me... it’s basically just pointing at someone and then they fall over. But he does it kind of quickly? So it’s much cooler than all the other films where they point at people and they all fall over.

Keefy18

Life is Beautiful (1997) - 8.5/10

A cinematic masterpiece! Truly beautiful indeed! Cinematography is fantastic throughout and the lead Roberto Benigni is heartwarming from the moment he is on screen.

I can heap praise on this movie endlessly and it still wouldn't do it justice. If you haven't seen it don't be as silly as me and wait, go now and treat yourself.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones (2019)

Just dropped on Netflix today. Obviously not a movie but a 60-minute comedy special in memory of the Dayton mass shootings. Razor sharp wit, on point social commentary satire where everybody gets torn a new one, unapologetically in your face and delivered with perfect comedic timing. Oh and did I mention that it is fecking hilarious?

It's Dave Chappelle....that's all that needs to be said! Next!

I'm giving this a 9/10.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
My Neighbour Totoro
When two girls move to the country to be near their ailing mother, they have adventures with the wondrous forest spirits who live nearby. A nice, heartfelt depiction of how imaginative children deal with imminent grief. A little pedestrian in some parts and I wish there was a little more to the overarching theme but all in all it was a touching story 6.5/10

Member 39557

My Neighbour Totoro
When two girls move to the country to be near their ailing mother, they have adventures with the wondrous forest spirits who live nearby. A nice, heartfelt depiction of how imaginative children deal with imminent grief. A little pedestrian in some parts and I wish there was a little more to the overarching theme but all in all it was a touching story 6.5/10
Do you want a cat bus now?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The first 30 minutes were excellent. Then it did go downhill. I had the same issues as you with repetitiveness in John Wick 2. I kind of expected it in this one, so I didn't find it as disappointing.
I liked it but yeah they stacked all the best set pieces at the start which was an odd choice.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Killers (1964) - Fun, sundrenched update of the Siodmak noir, a little too sundrenched perhaps, a great advert for sunscreen...Lee Marvin's face was as red and smouldering as molten lava. Highlights: John Cassavetes punching Ronnie Reagan in the face + Angie Dickinson's gleaming eyes and all-round alluringness.

pauldyson1uk

Annabelle Comes Home

It was not a bad film, it was just very predictable , nothing much happens for an hour, the last 30-ish mins is just jump scene after jump scene.
I'm a fan of The Conjuring and the other Annabelle films. The acting was fine but the story a as weak and the ending was horrible.
If you have nothing else better to do, then it a worth a watch.

4.5/10

pauldyson1uk

Ma

A lonely woman befriends a group of teenagers and decides to let them party at her house. Just when the kids think their luck couldn't get any better, things start happening that make them question the intention of their host.
This was excellent, much better than I thought it would be, Octavia Spencer who plays the lead was very good , played her part well.
This is well worth watching.

7/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Howl's Moving Castle
A witch puts a spell on a young woman, turning her old as feck. The woman then starts working for a wizard named Howl and lives in his moving castle as she looks for a way to break the spell. Charming animated film. So much imagination and wonder. This is the second time I've seen it and it just doesn't get old (no pun intended). Just wish it was a tad shorter 7.5/10

JohnZSmith27

Howl's Moving Castle
A witch puts a spell on a young woman, turning her old as feck. The woman then starts working for a wizard named Howl and lives in his moving castle as she looks for a way to break the spell. Charming animated film. So much imagination and wonder. This is the second time I've seen it and it just doesn't get old (no pun intended). Just wish it was a tad shorter 7.5/10
Are you making your way through the Ghibli collection? I love those movies.

decorativeed

Howl's Moving Castle
A witch puts a spell on a young woman, turning her old as feck.
The woman then starts working for a wizard named Howl and lives in his moving castle as she looks for a way to break the spell. Charming animated film. So much imagination and wonder. This is the second time I've seen it and it just doesn't get old (no pun intended). Just wish it was a tad shorter 7.5/10
Someone needs to give you a job writing the blurb on the back of the blu-rays!

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Make sure to book tickets for the Ghibli museum well in advance if you haven't already. I tried to get hold of a ticket when I was in Tokyo but it was absolutely hopeless.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
No way, that's class. I'd love to check that out. Spirited Away is prob in my top 5 movies of all time.
Love it. Might watch that one tonight.

Someone needs to give you a job writing the blurb on the back of the blu-rays!
:lol:

Make sure to book tickets for the Ghibli museum well in advance if you haven't already. I tried to get hold of a ticket when I was in Tokyo but it was absolutely hopeless.
Already done. Think they release on the 10th of every month and you have to buy a month in advance. When we looked, it was instantly nearly sold out and luckily there was three tickets left so we bagged them! Thanks for the advice though.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I watched the latest film by Peter Strickland In Fabric and rather enjoyed it, despite it's slightly garbled last 40 minutes. It's a witchy cursed-object horror with black comedy elements and decorated with that retro-media aesthetic he seems to be obsessed by. I like the guy as a filmmaker, he's got a good eye for a creepy image and he has a skill for crafting dainty ephemeral pictures that I find appealing, even as their fragile structures tend to crumble under their own weight.

Then I watched The Five Obstructions. An art-film doc by Lars and Jørgen Leth, in which Lars challenges Leth to remake one of his previous films four times, each time with a different set of deconstructive rules. I adored it but your mileage will likely vary depending on your tolerance of Lars Von Trier as a personality and as a philospher/wanker on film and art. The film images are stunning, the relationship charming, it's thought provoking - but in a playful way, and it treats the filmed image with both the respect and the mockery it deserves.

I also watched an episode of NWR's new show. The dude-bro Dostoyevsky has done a neon-neo-noir thriller about crims and mixed it with casual sadism, dime store nihilism and a lecherous eye for the ladies. There ...is ...a ...lot ...of ...slooow ...talking ...and ...a ...lot ...of ...looong ...pau-ses ...and ...a ...lot ...of ...glacial ....stares ...to ...make ...it ...all ... deep... and... meaningful... and... cool.

Imagine Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle reading 4chan under faulty disco lights, and now you're watching it in your head. At this point I'm not convinced that it's not all an elaborate prank.

@Rooney in Paris take some goddamn responsibility for you and yours.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Life is Beautiful (1997) - 8.5/10

A cinematic masterpiece! Truly beautiful indeed! Cinematography is fantastic throughout and the lead Roberto Benigni is heartwarming from the moment he is on screen.

I can heap praise on this movie endlessly and it still wouldn't do it justice. If you haven't seen it don't be as silly as me and wait, go now and treat yourself.
An all time favorite of mine. Such a beautiful movie. I always recommend to my friends who are first time parents.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Parasite 2019 - Great film by Joon Ho Bong. I guess I can start to write off Snowpiercer off as a bit of a blip on the resume. 8.5/10
Can't even see a release date for this in the UK yet :(