Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Or maybe because the French, cahiers du cinéma and so forth applauds every new turd Refn presents them with.
Les Cahiers are terrible. Don't paint all the French with the same brush.

But I'm sure he gets sucked off at Cannes every year - again, not a French thing.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I had you down as chief defender of the faith. Didn't you love Drive like a fat kid loves Insulin?

*The rustling sound of evidence permeates the courtroom.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

Mystic River. 9/10

Saw this today while on the train. Didn't know it was directed by Clint Eastwood. Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, Laurence fishburne and Tim Robbins were all brilliant in it. Especially Sean Penn, that scene when he finds his daughter is heartbreaking and acted amazing. Tim Robbins surprised me how good he is in this movie, I've only ever seen him in nothing to lose. probably the best in the movie imo, you could feel the pain and torture in his words. No boring parts, well paced, good plot and twist. Really enjoyed the movie. Can't really say anything bad about it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Spirited Away
One of my favourite animation films. Just an infinitely imaginative marvel of a movie 9.5/10

Toy Story

My other favourite animation film. Must have seen this like 20 times. It's great 9.5/10

Keefy18

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - 8/10

Personally, I enjoyed it.

The cinematography was just beautiful from start to finish and is ridiculously slick. QT really does know how to make a movie feel cool as fcuk! He made 60's Hollywood come alive and you really feel it jump out of the screen at you.

There are some scenes that felt a bit long and dragged out, with some dialogue unnecessary. But overall it hit the right notes and is probably in his top 3 movies alongside Pulp Fiction and Inglorious.

The ending was very predictable for me so hence being docked in the rating, but again even though predictable it was fun and theater was in knots laughing throughout those final scenes, standard QT really.

Keefy18

The Host - 7/10

Enjoyable enough sci-fi / horror about a mutated....fish? I don't really know, That attacks the residents of Korea near the Han river. The budget must of been huge for this as the special effects throughout are very good.

There's a brief cameo by Scott Wilson (Hershel of Walking Dead) at the start and the story moves at a nice pace to keep you intrigued.

Burning - 6/10

Genuinely didn't realize this when I picked this movie to watch today also, but it also has Steven Yeun (Glenn, Walking Dead) as a main character also.

Anyway, this is a very, very slow ugh... "burner" of a movie. At 2 hours 28 mins its a long slog to get through with little that held my interest in the opening hour. The pace picks up shortly there after and the mystery behind the story begins in earnest.

Didn't enjoy the ending either personally.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Self/Less

Saw Ryan Reynolds and Ben Kingsley on the case, so gave it a watch. Barely passable movie. Filled with usual tropes and cliches and predictable plot turns with unnecessary melodrama slowing the pace too. Watch only if you have time to kill and nothing better to do.

5/10

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Nightcrawler

Fine movie, one that paints a pretty depressing picture of modern business culture.

8/10

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Mystic River. 9/10

Saw this today while on the train. Didn't know it was directed by Clint Eastwood. Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, Laurence fishburne and Tim Robbins were all brilliant in it. Especially Sean Penn, that scene when he finds his daughter is heartbreaking and acted amazing. Tim Robbins surprised me how good he is in this movie, I've only ever seen him in nothing to lose. probably the best in the movie imo, you could feel the pain and torture in his words. No boring parts, well paced, good plot and twist. Really enjoyed the movie. Can't really say anything bad about it.
Not seen Shawshank Redemption?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not sure if this thread is for recommendations too, but are there movies similar to Eyes Wide Shut? Big city night scenes, mysterious, dark etc, you get the vibe.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Last Exit to Brooklyn is a relatively unknown 80s gem. Rough movie.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just watched scary films to tell in the dark.

If you like horrors go give it watch. Whilst some bits are silly and you have to turn your brain off a little, some of things they do is pretty clever and you can tell parts are inspired by classic horrors. Particularly built tension pretty well, one of the rare times you can tell the whole cinema was feeling a little tense.

Don't want to oversell it, it's not groundbreaking, but certainly if you're a fan of dark films go watch it.

Hopefully there's a sequel.

mad1max954

Bad times at the El Royale
Surprising good. Has a sort of Tarantino feel to it with an excellent soundtrack. Nice performances too with a good cast.

Its a solid 7/10. Just come on to Sky / Now TV - worth watching.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Bad times at the El Royale
Surprising good. Has a sort of Tarantino feel to it with an excellent soundtrack. Nice performances too with a good cast.

Its a solid 7/10. Just come on to Sky / Now TV - worth watching.
Loved that movie. Thought it was the best of the year for me.

ChrisNelson

The Informer (2019)

Saw this last night and was impressed. It reminded me a lot of The Departed.

Stylish, deep plot and some good performances. Definitely one of my favourites of the year and would recommend to anyone who likes a good old fashioned action thriller that does what it says on the tin and doesn't try to be too clever.

8/10

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

They don't make 'em like this anymore. Jason Robards the standout for me.

8/10

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
anyway leave me alone you nerds. my favorite part of triple frontier was when they were like "ben affleck killed 36 people in 9 different countries and he cant even send his daughter to college! what the hell!". they said some variation of that line like 4 times

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
anyway leave me alone you nerds. my favorite part of triple frontier was when they were like "ben affleck killed 36 people in 9 different countries and he cant even send his daughter to college! what the hell!". they said some variation of that line like 4 times
It's been added to my list

Keefy18

When Harry Met Sally - 7.5/10

Only watched this last night for the first time ever and thoroughly enjoyed it.

College students Harry (Billy Crystal) and Sally (Meg Ryan) share a contentious road trip and argue about different aspects of relationships. They met again 10 years later and commence a friendship whilst dodging the growing sexual tension between them and to remain friends.

Crystal is his usual jovial and heart warming self and Ryan looks stunning and is the perfect foil to Crystal's wit. The dialogue is great, but it is also represents how people wish they could talk. Carrie Fisher is part of the supporting cast also.