Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Marriage story was much more enjoyable than I expected it to be. The two leads are great, it's believable and it's absolutely hilarious at times too. 8/10 one of the year's best, for me.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
6 Underground

Oh my feckin God. What an godawful movie. If I get my hands on Michael Bay, I'll choke him myself. If there ever was a threshold for bad movies, he blows it up. Calling it Spectacularly bad would be a compliment. Even an amoeba could make a better movie.

Every single scene, frame and sequence has a flaw that doesn't make sense. If there was a Guinness for stupid bloopers in a movie, we have a winner. Either MB was stoned and shot the movie during a acid trip or he expects audience to do the same before watching this.

First movie that actually made me physically nauseous.

Think of worst rating imaginable and then multiply it zillion times.

Last edited:

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Day Shall Come - Chris Morris film about FBI trying to stitch up a bunch of muslim extremists who want to overthrow the white man but don't believe in guns, have a horn that summons the dinosaurs and are actually pretty harmless. It's solid enough I guess and it has it's moments but being a Chris Morris film and seeing his past work you can't help but feel dissapointed.

Ramos

6 Underground

Oh my feckin God. What an godawful movie. If I get my hands on Michael Bay, I'll choke him myself. If there ever was a threshold for bad movies, he blows it up. Calling it Spectacularly bad would be a compliment. Even an amoeba could make a better movie.

Every single scene, frame and sequence has a flaw that doesn't make sense. If there was a Guinness for stupid bloopers in a movie, we have a winner. Either MB was stoned and shot the movie during a acid trip or he expects audience to do the same before watching this.

It's true. First twenty minutes literally gave me a headache.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Ad Astra Loved the first half of the film as it had a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now vibe. Second half went nowhere with a deeply underwhelming end. 5/10

Joker
Great central performance but an utterly unconvincing mess of a plot. 5/10

Identity Thief
What a terrible film. Unfunny and ugly at times followed by trite and stupid. How did this film do so well at the box office? 1/10

The Bromley Boys
I had high hopes for this one as it was described to me as a Full Monty or Brassed Off level British comedy and was based in football. Sadly it was very disappointing. Low key plot, largely poor acting and no chemistry between characters 2/10

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
I enjoyed this but ended up unsure what the point of the film was. 7/10
What did you find messy about Joker plot? I found it pretty straightforward, no?

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I start my 26-day holiday after tomorrow and am compiling a list of action/martial arts movies to rewatch in a binge fest:

The Raid
The Raid 2
Headshot
The Night Comes For Us
Hardcore Henry
Triple Threat
The Villainess
Maria
ManHunt
Ip Man 1/2/3
Police Story
Armour of God

Some of these are in my all time favourite movie list and just have the urge to watch them again. Any other suggestions welcome.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1183252/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Klaus. A pretty wonderful Santa origin story. Delightful animation and character design. It has sacks of Christmas spirit and, surprisingly for an xmas flick, it's underpinned by a quite sophisticated application of moral Philosophy. Might be a Christmas classic.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Greenbook - my word, I can't believe that the actor who plays Aragon is in this! Makes it crazy to think that he was ~45 years of age when he played Aragon in Lord of the Rings.
In terms of the film, loved it. Really heart-warming. Wish I had watched it sooner.

Member 39557

6 underground.

Should be 6 feet underground.

Absolutely terrible pile of shite, but Florence looked nice. It Baygasms a load of bland car chases, close up deaths/injuries and explosions and lingering shots of the female form all over your face. The thing is, it's shot in such an over stylish and over the top way that it's completely soulless and made me feel numb to it all. Well, except for a couple of sequences where it was so stupid I thought I was watching a parody.
The jokes didn't land, the action didn't excite and the film jumped about too much with origin stories for shit characters that didn't really need them.

Don't bother with it.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
6 underground.

Absolutely terrible pile of shite, but Florence looked nice. It Baygasms a load of bland car chases, close up deaths/injuries and explosions and lingering shots of the female form all over your face. The thing is, it's shot in such an over stylish and over the top way that it's completely soulless and made me feel numb to it all. Well, except for a couple of sequences where it was so stupid I thought I was watching a parody.
The jokes didn't land, the action didn't excite and the film jumped about too much with origin stories for shit characters that didn't really need them.

Don't bother with it.
It was so so bad. Apart from Ryan Reynolds who seemed to be having fun, it felt so empty and pointless. It's also a very ugly film (no surprise there).

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Invisible Guest
A successful entrepreneur accused of murder and a witness preparation expert have less than three hours to come up with an impregnable defence. A Spanish thriller I came across on Netflix. Decent movie. Has tonnes of twists and turns, some of them were great, others predictable and a few completely absurd. I was all in and was entertained throughout 7.5/10

Member 39557

It was so so bad. Apart from Ryan Reynolds who seemed to be having fun, it felt so empty and pointless. It's also a very ugly film (no surprise there).
Lowlights include Parkour guy, (because they just have to have a parkour guy) standing on the top of the duomo for no apparent reason.
I was laughing at the madness of the lady known as "two" standing in front of a rolls royce on a desert road, clad in a white gown in order to capture a bad guy.

Also, why replace a driver with a sniper? Makes no sense!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
6 underground.

Don't bother with it.
Epic premise.

tumescent movie.

Why is Michael Bay a thing?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
6 Underground

Now I want to see it.....

Art Vandelay

Seen Drunken Master years ago but never heard of the second one. Will have to check it out. Thanks.
Snake in the Eagles Shadow is pretty good. Hwang Jan Lee is a fantastic villain and his kicking is spectacular. Ninja in the Dragon's Den is another classic with him.

Wheels on Meals is a great Jackie Chan film, the fight at the end is one of his best. Also Who Am I is pretty damn good with another great fight at the end.

Ramos

Code 8

Canadian low-budget sci-fi with a distinct X-Men feel to it. Pleasantly surprised by this, didn't expect too much. Story isn't super original, you've seen it before, but the execution considering the budget they had to work with was good. Decent action, special effects that do the job, tight direction and not too long. Nothing spectacular but enough to keep me entertained for 90 minutes. People that really like sci-fi action movies, even if it's not a blockbuster, should give this a shot.

7/10

pauldyson1uk

The Haunted

Emily's arrives for her first night-shift as a care-giver, to an elderly dementia patient. In an isolated house her night turns into a nightmare as she is tormented by a vengeful spirit, and starts to uncover the house's dark secrets.
Poor effort, it could have been a whole lot better.

3/10

pauldyson1uk

The Devils Hour.

Two friends organise rigged but terrifying exorcisms of realism on a live stream that has become ultra-popular. One day, while the girlfriend of one of them plays the role of the exorcised, strange phenomena occur live, and everything suggests that a real and frightening demon lives in the young woman. Will the impostors know how to face this creature?
I was not expecting much, most possession films are crap, but this was OK , story line was decent enough, the ending was OK.
Has possession films go, it was better than most.

6.5/10

Sylar

6 Underground was hilarious.

I had no idea it was Michael Bay directing it, until 5 minutes in, and it just had to be him. The man loves his explosions, even when explosions arent needed. Its so bad, that I found myself just wanting more explosions to see how many could be added.

The premise was good. Ryan Reynolds is always awesome. I didnt hate it like Transformers.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
6 Underground
A typical Michael Bay film. Has all the explosions, stylish camera angles and shots that linger on female cleavage. None of it made any sense. I would have enjoyed it as a dumb action film if they took out all the back story stuff and made it 90 minutes 2/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Uncut Gems - Another frantic, good time. Much talk has been about Sandler but the performance that caught my eye the most was Eric Bogosian's low-key intense loan shark. Before watching this I doubt I'd ever see an effective cinematic use of Gigi D'Agostino. But yeah, I probably still prefer Good Time over this one.

Art Vandelay

The Church

1980's Italian horror film with weird dubbing. I'd try and explain the story but I hadn't a clue what the feck was going on towards the end or at the start or in the middle. Some of it was frightening, some of it hilarious. It switches the protagonists along the way a couple of times and is generally a bit mental. A chick bangs a demon and CD Project Red clearly stole the design for one of the Crones from it.

I've no idea if it was good or bad, but it mostly kept me entertained.

5/10....?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Uncut Gems - Another frantic, good time. Much talk has been about Sandler but the performance that caught my eye the most was Eric Bogosian's low-key intense loan shark. Before watching this I doubt I'd ever see an effective cinematic use of Gigi D'Agostino. But yeah, I probably still prefer Good Time over this one.

I remember seeing the trailer and having no idea what it was about. I've always liked Eric Bogosian though, Sandler not so much.

0le

I saw Jumanji 3. It was okay, but two things bugged me:

The stupidity of spencer's grandpa to not understand it was a game - they just overdid it and it quickly got annoying
The slow talking old guy, I think his name was Milo - again they just overdid it.

pauldyson1uk

Polaroid

High school loner Bird Fitcher has no idea what dark secrets are tied to the Polaroid camera she finds. It doesn't take long to discover that those who've their picture taken with it, soon die.
This was much better than I expected, nothing original about, haunted item, people die, they used the haunted item playbook to the letter, but it was very watchable, there was some good scary parts and a few good deaths, not the best haunted item film you will see but far from the worst.

6/10

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I saw Jumanji 3. It was okay, but two things bugged me:

The stupidity of spencer's grandpa to not understand it was a game - they just overdid it and it quickly got annoying
The slow talking old guy, I think his name was Milo - again they just overdid it.
Phew I thought one of the spoilers was that Karen Gillan wasn't smokin anymore.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Didn't know this was out, I'll have to find it.

Nilssy did you watch 6 Underground? You'd love it, exactly the type of low key films you enjoy.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
As a piece of drama The Joker doesn't work for me. The larger mechanics such as the look and the performance are good but the characters and world they inhabit feel completely hollow. You can make work a shallow story that survives on style and performance. However to invest in character emotions, pathos or any kind of dramatic seriousness I require a certain amount of substance. The construction of The Joker, with its lively mix of sound and visuals, in service to such vacuousness most closely resembles a John Lewis Christmas advert.

Fantasy sequences can be flippant, superficial, odd, surreal. But when even the film's most obviously real sequences consist of such unconvincing and unnatural elements (from the cardboard cutout characters to the rote dialogue) then the parameters cease to matter. For example the Bruce gate scene had to have been real right? But it is so narratively contrived yet utterly unrealistic and badly staged that it barely distinguishes itself from the internal logic of the early fantasy sequence, when Joker is singled out in the audience. All the dialogue is not good, sometimes irritatingly on the nose, sometimes noticeably in service to the plot, sometimes plain stupid. A knock on effect of this consistently weird, badly written character behaviour is that everything exists in this quantum state of real/not real until it becomes convenient to the plot for it to be one or the other. So the love interest didn't matter and the whole preceeding two hours may as well have been a dream/story told from within the room at the end.

A better script and direction could make it work because there are decent elements here.

It should be stated that I also found the much lauded The hangover similarly emotionally detatched, and furthermore laugh-free, so maybe I'm missing something.

Also you can't seriously hang issues surrounding mental health and care provision on something so flimsy.

Last edited:

Parma Dewol

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Really quite disappointing. Was hoping they'd manage to go out on a high, but it didn't do it for me. Whole thing was moving too darn fast, and we've ended up with three movies pulling in different directions, rather than one cohesive trilogy. Such a shame. 2/5.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Decided to rewatch this to see how it held up. It didn't. What a ridiculous movie. Gerard Buttler delivers all his lines as if he has a giant wooden pole up his bum. Lena Headey is scathing hot though. Also never realized Michael Fassbender is in this.

5.5/10