Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sweet Square

Have heard mixed reviews about the last one but will watch all of them
I loved Uncut Gems but I can also see why others left the cinema with a head ache. I would recommend starting off with Good Time as it's the perfect introduction into their filming style(Includes a brilliant soundtrack as well).

Also I think both Good Time and Uncut Gems are on netflix.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
The Declined
A fatal accident at a remote survivalist training camp sends participants into a panic - and sets the stage for a chilling showdown. Starts decent but quickly becomes standard humans-being-hunted movie 5/10
It was an 7/10 for me.

Judo throws + BJJ for the win!!! Is not often you see realistic fights on movies.

ps. well, after that peruvian horror movie (sinister circle) I watched before, anything would get a high rating.

caid

Blue Ruin was kind of interesting
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2359024/
not particularly special but will kill a couple of hours at least. That was 2013 though actually ...

The platform on netfllix was quite good. Bit of a stretch to call it a thriller though.
I just don't think they make thrillers anymore tbh, theres a dozen films that you could squeeze into the genre but sci fi or horror is a more obvious spot to put them.

Enemy is worth it just for the final shot
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316411/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23
Its weird and creepy and every character is deeply odd

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Have heard mixed reviews about the last one but will watch all of them
Uncut Gems and Good Time are both excellent, really well put together films reminiscent of those gritty 1970s films set in NY (think Dog Day Afternoon). Heaven knows what is good too, but even more raw and it's sooo bleak. Very little hope or humanity in it.

Member 39557

Jojo Rabbit.
Disappointing for me. I like waititi's previous work, but something about this just felt off.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the portrayal of Hitler that was supposed to be comedic just felt a bit flat for me and the emotional scenes didn't quite do enough to save the film either.

There were some good performances from some of the cast, and the way the scenery of the town changed as time went on was well done but it wasn't particularly entertaining in my opinion.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Bad boys for life was really disappointing because I like the first two parts. There was too much of explosions and stuff, waste of money, Michael Bay would be proud of this. Martin Lawrence's face somehow looks even more fat than it did in Big mama's house.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Aesthetically cool movie but it was a bit boring.

Member 39557

Bad boys for life was really disappointing because I like the first two parts. There was too much of explosions and stuff, waste of money, Michael Bay would be proud of this. Martin Lawrence's face somehow looks even more fat than it did in Big mama's house.
I thought that when I saw the trailers.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Escape Plan

Watched this assuming this would be awful, but turned out a nice watch. Despite Stallone taking lead, Arnie still carries the movie. Despite a few plot turns that are way too convenient, it wasn't bad at all.

Solid 6/10 movie

Line of Duty

Seeing Aaron Eckhart, gave this a try. Regretted it. It's like the plot is written by a kid in a cave with the protagonist making a stupid decision almost every scene.

1/10

TheReligion

Abusive
Rocketman - 8.5/10

Not a big Elton John fan but still quite enjoyed this. Just shows you how looks can be deceiving and how stardom isn't always what it cracks up to be.

Yesterday - 6/10

Another music based film with an interesting story. Guy has accident. Guy wakes up and no one, other than him, can remember The Beatles (they don't actually exist). Guy rips off all their music and becomes famous. Easy to watch.

21 Bridges - 7/10

Throwback to the classic 90s cop films which we don't seem to get anymore. Chadwick Boseman is John McClain and this is action packed even if the story is predictable. If you like a basic fast paced action movie with a solid main character fire it up. What lets it down is underdeveloped bad guys.

Art Vandelay

Lady Bloodfight

It's a bit of a throwback to late 80's or early 90's martial arts films. It's set in Hong Kong but everyone speaks English which we know is factual from The Man with the Golden Gun, the documentary Roger Moore made on his trip to Hong Kong. A sweaty woman that knows how to beat the absolute shit out of people goes to Hong Kong to compete in the kumite tournament her father entered and never returned from 18 years before after she was sacked from her job as a waitress for being assaulted. There's like 4 fights in the first 20 minutes and they are all quite decent, except the first which looks more like a slap fight that the two Kung Fu masters it's portraying. Kung fu versus boxing was a highlight of the tournament. Nunchuks versus halberd the most bizarre fight.

The fights are a bit all over the place. Some are quite impressive whilst others the camera work gives too much away. I've not seen Amy Johnston in anything else, but she was quite good in this when she wasn't randomly soaked in sweat. Camera work didn't help her at times though when you can see her watching for the kicks she knows are coming so she can block them. Overall though it was a decent performance other than the part where you can almost see her thinking "Concentration face. Look like you're listening." I was just glad that about half an hour into the film they get her a top that actually fits. Her more unrefined fights at the start were more impressive than the tournament ones. She seemed to have a better flow against multiple opponents she can beat the sit out of rather than the give and take of one on one fights, not that she's bad in them or anything just the multiple opponents fights are more impressive.

It was cheesey as feck in an 80's kind of way, but overall enjoyable. The kind of low budget romp JCVD would have got up to back in the day. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like kung fu films or late 80's cheese. It even had a big Russian woman missing an eye and an overly friendly Australian. It was written by Bey Logan that used to do the extra commentary tracks on Hong Kong Legends DVD's back in the early 2000's and I admire his dedication to pure cheese. It just needed someone on a motorbike wearing sunglasses and no helmet driving into the sunset as blues guitar played and I'd probably have had no choice but to give it a 10.

@RedPed is possibly the only one that will get any enjoyment from it.

7/10

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Lady Bloodfight

It's a bit of a throwback to late 80's or early 90's martial arts films. It's set in Hong Kong but everyone speaks English which we know is factual from The Man with the Golden Gun, the documentary Roger Moore made on his trip to Hong Kong. A sweaty woman that knows how to beat the absolute shit out of people goes to Hong Kong to compete in the kumite tournament her father entered and never returned from 18 years before after she was sacked from her job as a waitress for being assaulted. There's like 4 fights in the first 20 minutes and they are all quite decent, except the first which looks more like a slap fight that the two Kung Fu masters it's portraying. Kung fu versus boxing was a highlight of the tournament. Nunchuks versus halberd the most bizarre fight.

The fights are a bit all over the place. Some are quite impressive whilst others the camera work gives too much away. I've not seen Amy Johnston in anything else, but she was quite good in this when she wasn't randomly soaked in sweat. Camera work didn't help her at times though when you can see her watching for the kicks she knows are coming so she can block them. Overall though it was a decent performance other than the part where you can almost see her thinking "Concentration face. Look like you're listening." I was just glad that about half an hour into the film they get her a top that actually fits. Her more unrefined fights at the start were more impressive than the tournament ones. She seemed to have a better flow against multiple opponents she can beat the sit out of rather than the give and take of one on one fights, not that she's bad in them or anything just the multiple opponents fights are more impressive.

It was cheesey as feck in an 80's kind of way, but overall enjoyable. The kind of low budget romp JCVD would have got up to back in the day. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like kung fu films or late 80's cheese. It even had a big Russian woman missing an eye and an overly friendly Australian. It was written by Bey Logan that used to do the extra commentary tracks on Hong Kong Legends DVD's back in the early 2000's and I admire his dedication to pure cheese. It just needed someone on a motorbike wearing sunglasses and no helmet driving into the sunset as blues guitar played and I'd probably have had no choice but to give it a 10.

@RedPed is possibly the only one that will get any enjoyment from it.

7/10
I'm not sure whether that is meant as a compliment or putdown but it is actually on my to view list.

Art Vandelay

I'm not sure whether that is meant as a compliment or putdown but it is actually on my to view list.
:lol: I dunno either, but you sat through the Cynthia Rothrock films. It actually recommended Martial Law to me afterwards. Which then reminded me of the Sammo Hung TV series Martial Law and I got all sad because I miss it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
:lol: I dunno either, but you sat through the Cynthia Rothrock films. It actually recommended Martial Law to me afterwards. Which then reminded me of the Sammo Hung TV series Martial Law and I got all sad because I miss it.
Fair enough. :lol: I'm not ashamed to openly admit my love for Cynthia Rothrock. I'm still trying to track down her first movies when she was with Golden Harvest. I think at least one was with Sammo Hung himself. Now that was some serious shit.

Art Vandelay

Fair enough. :lol: I'm not ashamed to openly admit my love for Cynthia Rothrock. I'm still trying to track down her first movies when she was with Golden Harvest. I think at least one was with Sammo Hung himself. Now that was some serious shit.
I was looking on her IMDB page I think it's Millionaire's Express she had a small role with Sammo and Yuen Baio in that. She seems to have been in a couple with Yeun Baio. She was also in the Dukes of Hazard Reunion if you want to track that down. :lol:

Sweet Square

Not sure where to put this but for any fans of Tarkovsky, this a brilliant video on his films

Still for me the greatest director of all time.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Star Wars: The Rise Of The Skywalker
Not a huge fan of this franchise. This was ok but felt super rushed and Ray's powers are too inconsistent and convenient 6/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
A Few Good Men (1992)

Wow. Great movie IMO, last court scene with Jack Nicholson was intense.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The first 3 Donnie Yen Ip Man movies. Pretty darn good action melodramas. They get progressively silly but the fight choreography remains inventive and fresh throughout. They don't suffer from repetitiveness in the way the John Wick films do. Very much in the style of the films made by the Hong Kong Kung Fu set from the 80s. Tyson's acting is funky but they coax a good physical display out of him.

The Last Black Man in San Francisco. Beautiful. Insightful, visually exciting poem. A bridge between Do the Right Thing and The Florida Project.

Little Women. Ugh, go away.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Lang Tong (2014)

Available on Netflix, Lang Tong is one of those films that blindsides you a bit. There's just something about Asian cinema that elevates even the most mediocre above the ordinary and this film sits nicely in that category. It follows a guy in Singapore who really is just the worst when it comes to his treatment of women. Now this guy is a real douchebag, a scumbag, call him what you like. His philandering and conning them out of money gives him that air of invincibility that ultimately results in his downfall. That;s all I'll say because to reveal any more would pretty much give the plot away.

Suffice to say, the film is based on an all too familiar theme but tries to be inventive in its execution and it is successful up to a point. The opening sequence creates that sense of foreboding that you just know something dark and nasty is coming. The director uses a lot of visual imagery to build anticipation and force you to put the pieces of the puzzle together yourself. But just as you're making sense of the proceedings, bam, you're hit with the twist, right between the eyes. Because of the very short running time of 80 minutes, the plot gets a little fractured at times but thankfully it all comes together at the end, though I still had a few questions that I could do with getting answered to be honest.

You could call it a sexual thriller or a revenge thriller of sorts but although there is sex and revenge, it isn't very thrilling. Don't watch it with the missus though and certainly not with your kids because it gets quite uncomfortable to watch in places with its adult themes. The way he dumped his first girlfriend in particular was pretty harrowing but on reflection quite necessary for the context of what was to follow. Some decent performances in a film that is good but not great. A bit more attention to development of the plot and characters could have made this an awesome effort but in the end it's just missing that extra something.

I'm giving this a 7/10.

Art Vandelay

Catch .44

A crime heist film in some sort of Tarantino vein that somehow manages to leave out the sexual perversions of the director. Imagine that. It thinks it's more clever than it actually is and I could only make out like every third sentence Bruce Willis uttered. Forest Whittaker was good in it and Malin Ackerman is her usual lovely self. Watchable, but nothing special,

5/10

The Rocketeer

I only saw this once when it came out and remembered it being a bit cack, but it's actually not bad. It's got twists and turns, the villains aren't one dimensional(sort of) and the story is decent. The special effects are both bad by todays standards and fairly decent for the time. Although surely jetpacks would just set your legs on fire. Jennifer Connelly is 50 now. I feel old.

6/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Exotica (1994)

I'm not sure what to think of this. I guess the atmosphere was quite unique and mysterious. Interesting Canadian flick.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Catch .44

A crime heist film in some sort of Tarantino vein that somehow manages to leave out the sexual perversions of the director. Imagine that. It thinks it's more clever than it actually is and I could only make out like every third sentence Bruce Willis uttered. Forest Whittaker was good in it and Malin Ackerman is her usual lovely self. Watchable, but nothing special,

5/10

The Rocketeer

I only saw this once when it came out and remembered it being a bit cack, but it's actually not bad. It's got twists and turns, the villains aren't one dimensional(sort of) and the story is decent. The special effects are both bad by todays standards and fairly decent for the time. Although surely jetpacks would just set your legs on fire. Jennifer Connelly is 50 now. I feel old.

6/10

I fecking love The Rocketeer. It captures old Hollywood beautifully and the two leads have a fun chemistry. Timothy Dalton is hilarious and the lantern-jawed fella is actually based on a real person.

Art Vandelay

I fecking love The Rocketeer. It captures old Hollywood beautifully and the two leads have a fun chemistry. Timothy Dalton is hilarious and the lantern-jawed fella is actually based on a real person.
I meant to ask if anyone knew what the hell was up with the rubber faced giant. He seemed weirdly out of place like something from The Princess Bride. Dalton was excellent and giving off the Inigo Montoya vibes with his wig in the film he was shooting. I should watch Princess Bride...

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I meant to ask if anyone knew what the hell was up with the rubber faced giant. He seemed weirdly out of place like something from The Princess Bride. Dalton was excellent and giving off the Inigo Montoya vibes with his wig in the film he was shooting. I should watch Princess Bride...

It's a guy called Rondo Hatton

Contagion 3/10
Finally got around to this and can’t for the life of me understand the high ratings. Very good for 45 mins or so and then falls off a cliff and becomes a truly terrible movie.
Jude Law’s character is utterly pointless yet is given more screen time/development than any other, the kidnap plot was one of the most stupid side plots I’ve ever seen in a movie and the vaccine “human test” was cheesy, dumb and a super predictable & convenient way for the director to get himself a quick “happy ending”.
Beyond disappointed.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Birds Of Prey: And The Fantabulous Emancipation Of One Harley Quinn
The film is as shit as its title. Bloody awful. Margot Robbie was decent in it and there was a good action set-piece at the end but for the most part, this was an utter pile of steaming turd 3/10

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Birds Of Prey: And The Fantabulous Emancipation Of One Harley Quinn
The film is as shit as its title. Bloody awful. Margot Robbie was decent in it and there was a good action set-piece at the end but for the most part, this was an utter pile of steaming turd 3/10
:lol:I've watched Suicide Squad twice and still couldn't tell you a thing about it, it was such an entertainment vacuum. In no rush to see this.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Ip Man 4: The Final Chapter
I enjoyed this. Not as good as the first two but better than the third. The fights are obviously not as good as they once were, which is understandable considering Donnie Yen is getting on a bit but they were good enough and the story was quite touching. I swear Scott Adkins is a Chinese martial artist stuck in an American's body :lol: Loved how they used the guy from Shaolin Soccer (GK) who looks like Bruce Lee to play Bruce Lee. Just wish he had more screen time 7/10

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ip Man 4: The Final Chapter
I enjoyed this. Not as good as the first two but better than the third. The fights are obviously not as good as they once were, which is understandable considering Donnie Yen is getting on a bit but they were good enough and the story was quite touching. I swear Scott Adkins is a Chinese martial artist stuck in an American's body :lol: Loved how they used the guy from Shaolin Soccer (GK) who looks like Bruce Lee to play Bruce Lee. Just wish he had more screen time 7/10
He's British mate. He was on the radio a few months back talking about not being able to get to games much cause of his work. Can't remember who he supports. Think it might have been Villa.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
He's British mate. He was on the radio a few months back talking about not being able to get to games much cause of his work. Can't remember who he supports. Think it might have been Villa.
Fair! I wonder how far he could have gone had he been Asian :lol:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Fair! I wonder how far he could have gone had he been Asian :lol:
Yeah, he's just one of those guys that just flies under the radar quietly going about his business. He's been in some big films though. Seems happy enough not being a big celeb.