Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Le sens de l'humour (A Sense of Humor). An OK Quebec comedy about two comedians with different styles and clashing personalities that are doing a tour together, get captured by a serial killer they mocked during a show, and then convince him to let them teach him how to be funny. It's decent. Too many jokes fall flat and the clashing personalities thing isn't worked out very well, but it's not a bad film. Just not a good one either. Also, lots of beautiful shots of the gorgeous region of the Saguenay fjord and Charlevoix. :drool:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Le sens de l'humour (A Sense of Humor). An OK Quebec comedy about two comedians with different styles and clashing personalities that are doing a tour together, get captured by a serial killer they mocked during a show, and then convince him to let them teach him how to be funny. It's decent. Too many jokes fall flat and the clashing personalities thing isn't worked out very well, but it's not a bad film. Just not a good one either. Also, lots of beautiful shots of the gorgeous region of the Saguenay fjord and Charlevoix. :drool:
Not that I’m going to watch this but that has to be the worst premise for a movie I ever heard! How on earth did they get it made?!?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not that I’m going to watch this but that has to be the worst premise for a movie I ever heard! How on earth did they get it made?!?
Well, it kinda works as a story. The serial killer is extremely awkward and shy socially, and in love with a woman who seems more impressed with a guy that's constantly making fun of our serial killer.

I should also add that it turns out in the end that he's not actually serial killer, it's his tyrant dad. So he's really just a super awkward guy who's being abused by his dad. But we don't know that for 99% of the film.

I agree that the premise sounds ridiculous, but this is not actually a problem in the movie (or it wasn't for me) - it's the actual jokes we're supposed to be laughing at...

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The Power of The Dog

Very very slow. I had my phone out for half of it. Cumberbatch is brilliant in it and basically carries the film. 3.5/5 although i would much prefer to watch this than the marvel shite.
This movie was quite simply crap.

The acting is good, the cast is good and the set/costumes etc, all very good - but......

Nothing happens to a bunch of uninteresting characters. Bored to tears after about 70mins so I turned it off and googled it to see what happened

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This movie was quite simply crap.

The acting is good, the cast is good and the set/costumes etc, all very good - but......

Nothing happens to a bunch of uninteresting characters. Bored to tears after about 70mins so I turned it off and googled it to see what happened
I would concur. It needed a bit more violence.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Body of Lies. A 2008 Ridley Scott spy thriller featuring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe. Pretty poor I thought. The action (when it happens) is generic, and the story just drags on and on and on. Further, the main characters' personalities are too stereotypical and unlikeable, and there is a lack of (narrative) justification for some of their actions. Those stereotypes apply to the narrative as well. No women with agency either, of course. I could go on for a while here.

It's far from the worst film I ever watched, but I just saw nothing to like here.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Attack the Gas Station! - A 1999 Korean comedy-crime film about four punks who take a gas station hostage, full of silly hi-jinks, and morally questionable characters. Lots of glass gets smashed, several people are forced into battle, and at least five phones get broken and then repaired by one poor middle-aged man. A smarter person might, I'm sure, comment about how the film uses its setting as an allusion to the detached experience of urban city culture. Not me, though. 4/5

Last edited:

Idxomer

The Power of The Dog is great.

The ending didn't fully land but overall a very immersive film and Campion's best since The Piano. 9/10

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Something new?
Yes I agree. That's why I said in that post that hopefully if they do make a sequel it will be a 15 rated, crazy, scary, out there sci fi horror comedy with hardly any ties (except young Spenglers if they chose to use them) to the original cast and stories. Could be the way forward to make them 15 rated and move away from family audiences?

Unam333

Home Sweet Home Alone
This new Home Alone installment is good fun. I really like the roles of the bad guys. Don't get the hate and the new "Kevin" is really likable.
Score: 8

The Last Duel
Another good movie. I was surprised I liked this movie this much, ususally medieval isn't my cup of tea.
Score: 8.5

Elf
First time watching 'Elf'. I really enjoyed it. Perfect Christmas movie.
Score: 8,5

Mortal Kombat (2021)
The intro scene was beautifully shot. Sanada Hiroyuki is amazing as a samurai, just like he was in "The Twilight Samurai". The movie became a bit tedious halfway through and the only purpose of the ending is to set up for a sequel.
Overall, pretty decent movie. Oh, and IMO the role of Liu Kang was a miscast.
Score: 7,5

Love Hard
Another fun Christmas movie. I like the whole catfish-idea and Jimmy Ouyang is really likeable. A couple of really good dialogues, for example, when Natalie and Josh were in a nursery home for elderly.

The Holiday
Really liked the movie. Jude Law was especially good. He has so much charisma. His story is quite sad.
Score: 9

Old Ma Crow

Rocknrolla
Avoided watching this for ages, but it's a decent Ritchie film with a superb cast. Toby Kebbell was very good and stole the show(as he did in Control) Not Ritchie's best but entertaining enough.

AaronRedDevil

I’m annoyed I never saw Last Duel in the cinema. Someone needs to be fired for having this big movie in the theatres for less then a few days. Also bringing it out during James Bond on top of that was a bad idea.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Rocknrolla
Avoided watching this for ages, but it's a decent Ritchie film with a superb cast. Toby Kebbell was very good and stole the show(as he did in Control) Not Ritchie's best but entertaining enough.
Genuinely think Kebbells performance in Dead Mans Shoes is one of the best performances by a British actor I’ve seen.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Suicide Squad Mildly amusing for a few minutes then painfully bad after that. So little plot it should have been at least 45 muns shorter. 2/10 maybe a little bit more if you like superhero stuff

hungrywing

Love Hard
Another fun Christmas movie. I like the whole catfish-idea and Jimmy Ouyang is really likeable. A couple of really good dialogues, for example, when Natalie and Josh were in a nursery home for elderly.
+1

I was surprised at how decent it was. Very well-written. A couple of steps above the usual 'bad netflix/direct to tv' christmas rom-com fare.

With a bigger budget and some 'bigger stars' (and some very slight tweaks) this would have been a theatrical release for one of the big studios.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Sisters Brothers. A roadmovie western set at the time of the gold rush. John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix play two brothers who are assassins for a crime boss and are on the trail of a guy (Riz Ahmed) who somehow wronged their boss - who also sent a bounty hunter (Jake Gyllenhaal) ahead to hold up this guy.

The plot is a little weird and messy, but ultimately also rather inconsequential. Some films really revolve around the plot and how people interact with its events, but this plot is more like a guide through a series of set pieces. The brothers' trip gives us a snapchat of the American 'wild west' at the time, showing how people are living in towns, the gold rush immigrants, the advent of modern hygiene (a toothbrush!), the big city, and so on and so forth. It also allows the director to display some gorgeous scenery (which made me appreciate Red Dead Redemption 2 more, too).

That part is very good and interesting, as is the general film making and acting. The story and the drama between the brothers I couldn't care as much about - there is nothing new or surprising to any of it, except for the tender ending. But as a period piece, I thought it was a strong and enjoyable film.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
While we're all here - don't forget to vote for the RedCafe awards! The voting threads are here:

Part 1
Part 2

The voting template is at the start of each thread - but you don't need to vote in every category. If you don't want to spend much time on this, just vote for the ones you can think of right away and leave it at that. We'd basically just to love to get more votes and get results that are a bit more representative of the entire forum.

Thanks!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
My Dad's Christmas Date. Absolute fecking garbage. The worstest ever.

Nah, sorry @TheReligion, I can't do it - also because it wasn't that bad. Not that good either though, although it would have helped if I had known what kind of film it was from the start. From the trailer, I figured it was your typical Christmas romcom, but it's not: it's more like a family drama, in which a dad and his teenage daughter are navigating their relationship in the wake (well, two years after) of the death of their wife/mum. As such, it's not bad - although the story isn't great and a fair bit of the acting and dialogues is subpar. (Especially the final scenes in the church are totally awkward. What's the director trying to achieve here? It's just weird. And then that's the ending...?!) It is set around Christmas though, that part is true! Also, most of it was filmed in York, and the city looks absolutely lovely (if a bit grey).

All in all, I clearly should have gone with Love Hard, per the recommendations by @Unam333 and @hungrywing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Last Duel - Ridley Scott with a typical Ridley Scott film. Filmed masterfully, especially with simple camera choices between two different character perspectives of a certain incident - seriously, the guy just GETS filmmaking and can make massive changes to an experience with the simplest of actions. But unlike a typical Ridley Scott film that starts out promising and forgets to have a story, this really impressed me. Best thing he's done since Kingdom of Heaven (not saying Kingdom of Heaven was any good, it just wasn't as shit as all his work after it until now).

I was worried going into the film because I had heard that it shows similar moments from three different perspectives, and might appear narratively cheap. But it doesn't. Although some of the dialogue feels like it's smacking you over the head with its clunkiness I found that the best moments of the film were only hinted at. Moments such as a knight who says he goes to war to provide for his family, when he isn't even collecting the taxes from his vassals, to the fear of an audience wondering who a child's father is going to be, waiting to see the colour of its hair, when all that really matters at the very end is who their mother is.

8/10. Knocked off five points because of Matt Damon's terrible accent but added three back because of Jodie Comer, Adam Driver and Ben Affleck's performances.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I’m annoyed I never saw Last Duel in the cinema. Someone needs to be fired for having this big movie in the theatres for less then a few days. Also bringing it out during James Bond on top of that was a bad idea.
Yeah, that was really bizarre. Hopefully it gets a lot of attention on Disney+ and more people give it a go.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The Last Duel - Ridley Scott with a typical Ridley Scott film. Filmed masterfully, especially with simple camera choices between two different character perspectives of a certain incident - seriously, the guy just GETS filmmaking and can make massive changes to an experience with the simplest of actions. But unlike a typical Ridley Scott film that starts out promising and forgets to have a story, this really impressed me. Best thing he's done since Kingdom of Heaven (not saying Kingdom of Heaven was any good, it just wasn't as shit as all his work after it until now).

I was worried going into the film because I had heard that it shows similar moments from three different perspectives, and might appear narratively cheap. But it doesn't. Although some of the dialogue feels like it's smacking you over the head with its clunkiness I found that the best moments of the film were only hinted at. Moments such as a knight who says he goes to war to provide for his family, when he isn't even collecting the taxes from his vassals, to the fear of an audience wondering who a child's father is going to be, waiting to see the colour of its hair, when all that really matters at the very end is who their mother is.

8/10. Knocked off five points because of Matt Damon's terrible accent but added three back because of Jodie Comer, Adam Driver and Ben Affleck's performances.
Looking forward to watching this over the Christmas period. I actually rewatched Kingdom of Heaven recently, the Director's Cut, and I actually think it's a great film. It could've been enhanced by having a better lead than Orlando fecking Bloom, but otherwise it holds up pretty fecking well I think.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Looking forward to watching this over the Christmas period. I actually rewatched Kingdom of Heaven recently, the Director's Cut, and I actually think it's a great film. It could've been enhanced by having a better lead than Orlando fecking Bloom, but otherwise it holds up pretty fecking well I think.
Yeah? I haven't actually seen the director's cut so I'm guessing my biggest gripe - how fast everything moves in the first act - probably isn't a problem? Always prefer Scott's directors cuts to be fair...

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Genuinely think Kebbells performance in Dead Mans Shoes is one of the best performances by a British actor I’ve seen.
It’s good but personally thought Considine is the best hands down.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Scrooged - modern retelling of the classic Muppet's Christmas Carol by Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat. Stars Bill Murray in Michael Caine's role and he's MUCH funnier and better at dancing. I liked the parts where Bill Murray did funny stuff and didn't like the rest of it. No idea why everyone loves it so much. 4/10

Dunkirk - a realistic portrayal of why Nolan needs to use more CG. They keep saying that there's 400,000 soldiers on the beach but I've seen bigger queues at the Asda pizza counter. Somehow by trying to maintain realism Nolan managed to make the visuals unrealistic. The guy from One Direction manages to act at certain points which was startling. Hans Zimmer gets one of his minions to hit a bin with a stick for two hours and he takes all the credit once again. 10/10.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The Sisters Brothers. A roadmovie western set at the time of the gold rush. John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix play two brothers who are assassins for a crime boss and are on the trail of a guy (Riz Ahmed) who somehow wronged their boss - who also sent a bounty hunter (Jake Gyllenhaal) ahead to hold up this guy.

The plot is a little weird and messy, but ultimately also rather inconsequential. Some films really revolve around the plot and how people interact with its events, but this plot is more like a guide through a series of set pieces. The brothers' trip gives us a snapchat of the American 'wild west' at the time, showing how people are living in towns, the gold rush immigrants, the advent of modern hygiene (a toothbrush!), the big city, and so on and so forth. It also allows the director to display some gorgeous scenery (which made me appreciate Red Dead Redemption 2 more, too).

That part is very good and interesting, as is the general film making and acting. The story and the drama between the brothers I couldn't care as much about - there is nothing new or surprising to any of it, except for the tender ending. But as a period piece, I thought it was a strong and enjoyable film.
Yeah, saw this a few month back and loved it. It didn’t really seem to do much but was riveting anyway. Both Phoenix and Reilly were excellent and worked well together.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah? I haven't actually seen the director's cut so I'm guessing my biggest gripe - how fast everything moves in the first act - probably isn't a problem? Always prefer Scott's directors cuts to be fair...
Yeah, it just builds in places and makes you feel way more immersed in that whole period, with some gorgeous setting. I can't really remember the exact differences between both, I saw the cinematic release in 2005 when it came out, and my memory doesn't go back 16 years (it barely goes back 16hrs), but I really really enjoyed it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That is one movie where the director’s cut is a game-changer. Or, movie changer I guess.

Wait, that doesn’t work…good thing I’m not a director.

Deery

Dreary
KickAss- Amazing

KickAss2- Meh

HitGirl-Better than every Marvel film Hero.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah, it just builds in places and makes you feel way more immersed in that whole period, with some gorgeous setting. I can't really remember the exact differences between both, I saw the cinematic release in 2005 when it came out, and my memory doesn't go back 16 years (it barely goes back 16hrs), but I really really enjoyed it.
That is one movie where the director’s cut is a game-changer. Or, movie changer I guess.

Wait, that doesn’t work…good thing I’m not a director.
Oooooooooh. Alright then, time to hunt it down. Cheers!

hungrywing

List of all inserted material. Do not click if one hasn’t seen the extended cut.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3097

Tarrou

I enjoyed new Ghostbusters but it was 30 minutes too long

CGI'ing Harold Ramos in felt really off, I'm not sure why they keep doing this in films

6.5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, saw this a few month back and loved it. It didn’t really seem to do much but was riveting anyway. Both Phoenix and Reilly were excellent and worked well together.
That's a really good summary of the film. It should just have cared a little less about its own story and be more like one of the serious Coen Brothers film, where things just kinda happen and then the film ends. :D