Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Magnolia
Watched this today for the first time in years and wow, I really, really love this movie about the intertwining lives of largely troubled characters on a single day / night.

Great performances throughout, especially from John C Reilly and Julianne Moore. Tom Cruise very good too, as is Phillip Seymour Hoffman and William Macey.

Poingnant and emotional.

10/10

entropy

I’ve always thought magnolia is the worst pta film. Except maybe for the song sequence, the movie is very incoherent and poorly written. Great performances and score though.

Donut

The Last Duel

The story is pretty basic, but interesting. The movie is a bit too long, there really was no need to tell it from so many angles, especially since it wouldn’t change anything if it was just one viewpoint. But even with that it’s very gripping and the duel is just amazing. 8/10

SirAnderson

The Last Duel

The story is pretty basic, but interesting. The movie is a bit too long, there really was no need to tell it from so many angles, especially since it wouldn’t change anything if it was just one viewpoint. But even with that it’s very gripping and the duel is just amazing. 8/10
I kinda feel that is exact what they were trying to portray with the different angles, how they viewed what happened was widely different from each other, changed my perception each time and made me appreciate it even more. But yeah, loved the film.

SirAnderson

Just watched The Unforgivable

Really gripping film, great acting from Sandra Bullock imo and I realized only at the end of the credits that it was a remake/adaptation of the British series Unforgiven. Definitely worth the watch.

7.6/10

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I’ve always thought magnolia is the worst pta film. Except maybe for the song sequence, the movie is very incoherent and poorly written. Great performances and score though.
I think it is one of his better ones.

Last good one was There will be Blood.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I kinda feel that is exact what they were trying to portray with the different angles, how they viewed what happened was widely different from each other, changed my perception each time and made me appreciate it even more. But yeah, loved the film.
Very Rashomon

entropy

What about it is poorly written?
The writing is just so overly indulgent and corny. From the opening narration to the black kid rapping out of nowhere, Julian Moore cursing out the pharmacist, the whole sequence with the frogs. It just never stops being corny and unrealistic. The story never really develops, we know more about the characters from their opening sequences than throughout the three hours of the movie. Some of the characters were kinda pointless even though they give amazing performances(Julian Moore, the gifted kid with a terrible dad). The film works very well visually and is amazingly cast(PSH, Baker Hall, Melora Walters, Tom Cruise, John C Reilly) but the story just falls flat and seems too contrived. I'd say he is trying too hard to be like Robert Altman. I'd just watch Shortcuts instead.

Volumiza

What about it is poorly written?
Is it incoherent and poorly written though? I really don’t take that from it at all.
It’s a film, that in 3 hours, tries to illustrate enough backstory about at least 8 characters so that by the end of the movie you’re emotionally invested. I accept the script wanders onto the corny side here and there but to achieve what it does over the runtime I think it probably needed to.

It’s a really ambitious film and I admire the way it’s been done.
I know it’s always divided opinion but in my eyes it’s almost a perfect film. As someone who very easily gets emotionally invested in films it really hooks me in and is quite an intense experience which I love.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Is it incoherent and poorly written though? I really don’t take that from it at all.
It’s a film, that in 3 hours, tries to illustrate enough backstory about at least 8 characters so that by the end of the movie you’re emotionally invested. I accept the script wanders onto the corny side here and there but to achieve what it does over the runtime I think it probably needed to.

I know it’s always divided opinion but in my eyes it’s almost a perfect film. As someone who very easily gets emotionally invested in films it really hooks me in and is quite an intense experience which I love.
I hated Magnolia when it came out (my best friend loved it) but I re-watched a year ago and it's grown on me.

I still think There Will Be Blood, The Master, and Inherent Vice are clearly better. Inherent Vice is my favorite but I'm a huge Pynchon fan.

Volumiza

I hated Magnolia when it came out (my best friend loved it) but I re-watched a year ago and it's grown on me.

I still think There Will Be Blood, The Master, and Inherent Vice are clearly better. Inherent Vice is my favorite but I'm a huge Pynchon fan.
There will be blood is just incredible, no doubt. I wasn’t completely sold on The Master and haven’t ever returned to it. I may make that my homework this weekend :)

entropy

Have you seen Short Cuts? I highly recommend it.

MoskvaRed

Have you seen Short Cuts? I highly recommend it.
That was the Altman film IIRC? And I think the first of those films about interlinked lives set during a specific, limited period of time. Like Magnolia, Lantana and no doubt others that I‘ve forgotten.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Spiderman: No Way Home
This is what a superhero film should be. Fun, action packed and with heart. One of the best superhero films I have watched in recent years 8/10

pauldyson1uk

Black Widow

Compared to the other marvel films, it was average at best, there was some good bits some bad and some horrible, Ray Winstone being the horrible, I thought he was dreadful.
I thought Scarlett , Florence and Rachel were good, David Harbour was OK.
Over all I thought it lacked substance, the opening 10 or so mins was excellent, went down hill after that, there was a story there, that we should have seen more of.
It was not bad and a bit better than expected and it passed a few hours.

5/10

Old Ma Crow

Genuinely think Kebbells performance in Dead Mans Shoes is one of the best performances by a British actor I’ve seen.
Good film, thanks for the heads up. Kebbell excels at extrovert characters from what I've seen, but I get what you mean about his performance. His debut in films? Can't beat a well made British drama and nice touch with the gangsta 2CV :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Harder They Fall. A typical western in many ways - apart from that pretty much everyone is black. It made me look up some stuff, and I learned for the first time that about a quarter of all cowboys were actually black. That fits with other things I've been reading about black people far outnumbering white people in North America until mass migration in the 19th century (or something along those lines), so that was interesting and something I'd like to learn more about. (Also the way black people and Native Americans interacted; there is a lot of super interesting stuff that the usual white-focused history does not mention.) The film itself though: not so much.

It's a vengeance tale about a guy hunting down the gang that killed his parents when he was young. At the start of the film, he kills one of the gang's members, which means that only its boss remains. He's in prison, but soon gets out and returns to the town he 'owns'. Cue a showdown.

The first half hour or so has a good pace and a couple of cool stylistic ideas. Some of that style remains, but the pace completely evaporates. There is far too much talking and positioning in the film, developing and emphasizing a plot that I couldn't care less about. In short, I was immensely bored from about an hour into the film, when I realized that the pace and fun of the first 30 min really weren't coming back. The shootout at the end is OK, but makes little sense. (For example: why do you only see the shooters on the roof when someone shoots them, not when the protagonist is running unprotected through the middle of the street?) And then there is a big reveal at the very end, but it does nothing for the plot, since the reveal has zero consequences; its says nothing about anyone's motivations for their actions in the film, and doesn't change the outcome you expected since the very first scene.

So, not for me.

Also, reading up on the film afterwards, I learned that all the main characters in the film refer to real historical people (e.g., Nat Love, Stagecoach Mary, Rufus Buck). That's cool, but the characters in the film have next to nothing to do with the real people; they are basically completely different persons with the same name. And if you read what the Rufus Buck Gang did (a bunch of cruel evil thugs) and then see him portrayed by Idris Elba as a kind of bandit philosopher king, I feel it's not very respectful to Rufus Buck's victims. It was good acting though, and I really liked Jonathan Majors here and in The Last Black Man in San Francisco. (And probably also in Hostiles, since that's an awesome film, but I can't clearly remember his individual performance there.)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The Last Duel is probably the best Ridley Scott film I’ve seen since Gladiator, which isn’t saying much cause everything else he’s made has been trash. But it is fun, looks great, has a largely coherent and interesting, if overly long story, and the duel itself is a stunning battle. Still, the overall “message” is drilled home about as elegantly as a battering ram. It felt like it was written by a bunch of middle age men trying to be me too and it turns out… it was, cause Affleck and Damon wrote it. I mean seriously why did we have to see the rape TWICE. We get it, he doesn’t see it as rape, don’t need to spend five minutes on that. Oh and Jodie Comer was great with what she had to work with, as always.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Last Duel is probably the best Ridley Scott film I’ve seen since Gladiator, which isn’t saying much cause everything else he’s made has been trash. But it is fun, looks great, has a largely coherent and interesting, if overly long story, and the duel itself is a stunning battle. Still, the overall “message” is drilled home about as elegantly as a battering ram. It felt like it was written by a bunch of middle age men trying to be me too and it turns out… it was, cause Affleck and Damon wrote it. I mean seriously why did we have to see the rape TWICE. We get it, he doesn’t see it as rape, don’t need to spend five minutes on that. Oh and Jodie Comer was great with what she had to work with, as always.
There was a female writer too (haven't seen the movie but this same point was the subject of a million twitter arguments).

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The Counselor was awesome. Love me a Cormac McCarthy script.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Nightmare Alley
The epitome of the noir genre based on a truly classic, but not well-known, novel from 1946. This was a fantastic movie with gorgeous cinematography, superb acting and a well-thought-out plot with character decisions that matter and stakes that really hit home. It really captures all the best of the classic noir genre and updates it for 21st-century audiences. All the performances were superb the setting really comes alive. I can't recommend this enough for anyone that likes noir, historical, or just great movies where character decisions matter. I liked this even more than the my second favorite movie of the year (Card Counter). My one gripe is that it should have been a Halloween movie not released a week before Christmas against that stupid Spider-Man movie. Bad, bad marketing decision for a brilliant work of cinema.

8.5-9/10

Charlie Foley

Oh it would have been brilliant with them. It feels trippy as hell without
It'll be a marmite film though. Hard to hear dialogue in old english, zero action scenes, not in the slightest bit faithful adaptation of the myth, very, very slow and weird as hell. But then the shots and cinematography are incredible. The setting, environments and costumes are all great - its a really beautiful film. The acting is very good and its really unique and interesting. It'll be stuck in my head for months.
Cinema nerds should love this, it feels like it was made especially for them.
Great soundtrack and score too.
I watched this yesterday.

when he was having his prediction into how his life would go, I started to wonder whether he would be a sort of time trick and he would live through the events he had previously come across. Would he be the one to behead Winifred as she had hinted he may already have been? When he came across the battle with the kid, Barry Keogan, who robbed him, I wondered was that the same battle he would lead his army into and lose later where his son died. And the thief’s line of “ the king killed 960 (?) himself” would actually be not an act of heroism but catastrophic leadership where he had led 960 of his own men to their death.

do you think there was some significance to the thief who stole his horse and axe? I wondered whether that was all stuff thrown at him by the green knight to test his resolve.
I don’t fully remember the original story or how loyal they were to that