Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fantastic Beasts and Stuff About Dumbledore

I didn't want to watch this but my missus did and she has boobs so that was that. It could have been two pretty decent separate movies but instead it was one movie that had no idea what it wanted to do.

The Fantastic Beasts crew are set up within the first fifteen minutes as a rag-tag bunch of spies for some Germany based espionage and at that point you're kind of excited at the promise of seeing how wizards and witches do sneaky spy stuff. But the entire thing is quickly ended by the Dumbledore and Grimdlewald story arc which, in a standalone film, would've been great. Their relationship is interesting and rather brilliant. Jude Law is great as Dumbledore again and Mads Mikkelsen is, as you'd expect from Mads Mikkelsen, fantastic beasts as Grimmy.

And then we get shifted back to some Fantastic Beasts stuff again, with Redmayne acting hilariously, and it's great fun. We also get a great set piece between the platypus thief and twig which is probably the best part of the film and begs the question why it's taken three movies for someone to actually do something with them as a comedy duo.

But after that little Segway into some fantastic beasts in a Fantastic Beasts film we quickly get sent back to Dumbo and Grimmy territory again, and the movie does this back and forth until the rushed ending with a shitty maguffin resolution. The super powerful Credence and his entire story are shoehorned into five minutes of screen time and a crap fight. And this brings me to the problem with the movie that I alluded to at the start.

This should be a Fantastic Beasts movie or a Dumbledore/Credence/Grimdlewald movie. It can't be both because otherwise you have too many threads and you can't give them the time they deserve. What we do get is pretty solid for the most part but it's just not enough.

Oh, there's also the romance between the bakery guy and the woman who can read minds but the story didn't give much of a feck about it so why should I?

6/10
Is that the latest one? I watched the second film, but quickly got immensely bored by the uncountable sideplots and references that were being heaped up, slept through most of the second half, and then saw the final bit, which featured exactly the fight I had anticipated all along, and then ended mid-story. Absolutely hated it. (Apart from the bit where I slept, that was nice.)

Superunknown

Saw The Northman yesterday.
Fecking amazing/10.

Loved everything. Really like the settings, the lore, the mythology behind all of this. Great performances that did the script and characters justice. Had a very satisfying ending, too. Surprised that there isn't a separate thread for this, unless I'm being blind and just missed it. One of those films that I personally adore, but I really can't tell what the general public/other audiences are going to think of it. Seems to be reviewing very well with some, and then more middling with others.

Also, Willem Dafoe must have a clause in his contract that he's only allowed to play strange, weird folk. The guy is never going to get a straight ahead gig ever again. :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Louis Cyr. A Quebec drama from 2013 about Louis Cyr (1863-1912), in his time the strongest man in the world. The film shows his rise to fame, his attempts to challenge other strongmen (who mostly avoided him to preserve their own image), his circus career to make money, and his demise (in a way) due to his constant quest for recognition.

It's pretty alright. The story isn't all that dramatic really, but they manage to present it in a way that kept me interested for most of the film - for which it helps that they took some liberties with Cyr's life, from what I read about him afterwards. Even so, there were also a few moments where I thought the narrative slowed down too much. Apart from that, there isn't too much to say. It's a well-made historical drama without any real stand-outs. 7/10

Metal Lords. A 2022 high-school comedy-drama about a couple of kids that don't fit in and start a metal band. One of them is obsessive and arrogant, which will cause problems, while the other one is a shy kid that finds his social voice as he learns to play the drums.

Nothing to get too excited about, and some of the characters are a little too irritating or cliché; but otherwise the film works and I didn't mind watching it. I suppose it helps if you don't mind metal. middling/7

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. A 1967 American social drama by Stanley Kramer about a young white woman (Katherine Houghton) who introduces here black fiancee (Sidney Poitier) to her white parents (Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy), with the message that they met 20 days ago and will get married abroad very soon. The parents are supposed to be liberals, but the idea of an multiracial relationship tests their ideas and relationships.

It's quite good. A little melodramatic, and I thought the acting, especially in the beginning, was a little theatrical and stilted. In fact, in many ways, this seemed to me like a film from the 50s. (Not that that's a bad thing, but surprising for 1967.) That soon got better though (as you'd expect with this kind of cast!), and the film's narrative unpacks really neatly, adding layers and characters just when needed to keep the story interesting and engaging. Some good shots as well.

I suppose the tension of the story is a bit dated now - but then I remembered the controversy about the multiracial family in a Cheerios commercial just nine years ago (time flies; I thought it was much more recent!), and I suppose this still has its relevancy. One way or another, the 'issue' is portrayed and discussed very well, even if Poitier's character has been made into such a saint (to make the racism stand out more) that it's a little lame.

I was surprised to see that this got a whole bunch of important Oscar nominations, cause I didn't think it was quite that good. But all the same, a good watch for sure. 7/10.

I wish Netflix had more old films btw. I looked up the main cast and director, and only Poitier had more than one film of Netflix, the 1997 version of The Jackal - which is not quite what I was looking for! It can't be that hard to get the rights to films from the 1940s and 1950s, and I'd watch them all. (Well, almost. Or at least some of them. Insofar as I haven't seen them already.)

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Everything Everywhere All at Once - I decided to go see this in theaters after realizing that the mail lead is Ke Huy Kwan aka Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Data from the Goonies. I read an interview he did where he discussed his frustration with Hollywood casting in the 90s and onward and why he quit acting. He said that seeing Crazy Rich Asians made him want to start acting again.

Michelle Yeoh is an exhausted Chinese immigrant whose failing business and personal life are upended when she gets pulled into a multiversal struggle against a great evil. It is absolutely insane and takes full advantage of the multiple universe theme. Yeoh and Kwan are both phenomenal and hilarious. My biggest complaint is that it felt a little long.

9/10

Loon

:lol:
DEEP WATER

Adrian Lyne trying to recapture his erotic-thriller crown with this Highsmith adaptation and failing miserably. The final 10 minutes are laugh-out-loud fromage.

2/10

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Is that the latest one? I watched the second film, but quickly got immensely bored by the uncountable sideplots and references that were being heaped up, slept through most of the second half, and then saw the final bit, which featured exactly the fight I had anticipated all along, and then ended mid-story. Absolutely hated it. (Apart from the bit where I slept, that was nice.)
The previous film is the only time that I've ever fallen asleep in a cinema. These prequel movies have been a bit of a train wreck, considering the potential available with these characters.

Swedish_Plumber

Saw The Northman yesterday.
Fecking amazing/10.

Loved everything. Really like the settings, the lore, the mythology behind all of this. Great performances that did the script and characters justice. Had a very satisfying ending, too. Surprised that there isn't a separate thread for this, unless I'm being blind and just missed it. One of those films that I personally adore, but I really can't tell what the general public/other audiences are going to think of it. Seems to be reviewing very well with some, and then more middling with others.

Also, Willem Dafoe must have a clause in his contract that he's only allowed to play strange, weird folk. The guy is never going to get a straight ahead gig ever again. :lol:
Saw it tonight and really liked it. The cinematography was beautiful.

Made me feel bad for not going to the gym today though so overall 3/10.

SirAnderson

Ambulance (2022)

Excuse the pun, but what a ride! High octane thriller that grabs you by the short and curlies from the get go and refuses to let go. It sometimes amazes me how modern day films get made with the amount of planning and execution involved because the scale of this movie is just off the charts. I sat through this movie just in awe of the cinematography, the sweeping vista shots, the intricate camera work just thinking to myself, wow this is some serious shit that Michael Bay would be proud of. It wasn't until the credits rolled at the end that yeah, sure enough his name popped up under 'Directed by'. I honestly didn't know but it made perfect sense. It was as if every single scene had been meticulously planned and crafted in detail within an inch of its life. I don't know why Bay gets the hate because if this is the style he is looking to make his own, I'm all in.

Ambulance is a remarkable film with some great performances from pretty much everyone that had a speaking part apart from the one irritating guy, Castro, the type of character that Bay always insists on including in his movies. Gyllenhaal, Abdul-Mateen II and Gonzalez produce some stellar performances as the three central characters in a bank heist gone wrong movie. Bay's smart direction, fast cut to scenes and excellent visuals really draws you into the story. The pacing is excellent and apart from 5 or 10 minutes dedicated to the back story is all about the two bank robbing brothers and their efforts to evade what appeared like the whole of LA law enforcement. As I mentioned before the cinematography and film editing were some of the best that I have seen in a movie. Say what you like about Michael Bay, but he really has an eye for filmmaking. I would pay to watch a Masterclass on how he sets up his shots. Many of them in this film were just stunning.

And if you're thinking of waiting until this gets released on streaming platforms...don't! The scoring and sound editing were just excellent, really adding to the overall experience. I'm not sure what the budget was but this must have cost a fortune to produce. It's like in terms of the production for this project, every aspect has been done just right with no cut corners or cheap substitutes. What pisses me right off is that when you look at the usual pretentious crap that gets nominated year in and year out for those hollow annual awards, films like this which honestly wipes the floor with some of that competition will most likely get overlooked, probably coming third in 'Best Sound Mixing' category, if there was a third spot.

Anyway, I loved this film. I was invested in the characters. I was gripped by the fast-paced action genuinely not knowing where I was being taken next, going through a whole raft of emotions, particularly in the final act and smugly satisfied that I was able to recognise a Michael Bay film. Nobody will complain about the 2+ hours running time as it's all killer and no filler. Don't get it confused with the original Danish version though from which it was adapted.

I'm giving this a 9/10.
Busy watching this now, got to the part of "We trauma surgeons" an yeah taking a lot for me to not consider it a sci-fi. :lol:
Anyway just have to go with the flow.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Everything Everywhere All at Once - I decided to go see this in theaters after realizing that the mail lead is Ke Huy Kwan aka Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Data from the Goonies. I read an interview he did where he discussed his frustration with Hollywood casting in the 90s and onward and why he quit acting. He said that seeing Crazy Rich Asians made him want to start acting again.

Michelle Yeoh is an exhausted Chinese immigrant whose failing business and personal life are upended when she gets pulled into a multiversal struggle against a great evil. It is absolutely insane and takes full advantage of the multiple universe theme. Yeoh and Kwan are both phenomenal and hilarious. My biggest complaint is that it felt a little long.

9/10

I'm in. How come you've seen it already?

SirAnderson

Agree that there is no filler, just non stop, all over the place. How it was shot was great, although some clear CGI could be seen at parts but didn't really take away anything.
It did feel like it went a bit down hill after the trauma surgeons in believability, but I expect a bit, just not that crazy.

Personally I couldn't get to root for the brothers, as much as that was what the intention was, also by making the cops look shady as hell too. Even that one part where they like, okay our brother is dead, lets get them, like the girl didn't matter anymore. :lol:
Also the ending felt a bit flat for me as I actually didn't expect them to live, well that Will would, so that was a bit of a surprise. Guess we just suppose to make our own happy ending scenario from what they give us in the end there.

I'll give it a 6.5/10

Minkaro

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Thought I’d give it a go, and it ended up being great. The trailer scene with them trying to get over the wall is absolutely hilarious in the film.

Pedro Pascal is very good in it, but there’s something utterly charming about how Nic Cage wholeheartedly embraces his NICOLAS FREAKING CAGE persona, and while the film itself plays tribute to his career, he plays it in a self-deprecating way. A lovely surprise.

8/10

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Thought I’d give it a go, and it ended up being great. The trailer scene with them trying to get over the wall is absolutely hilarious in the film.

Pedro Pascal is very good in it, but there’s something utterly charming about how Nic Cage wholeheartedly embraces his NICOLAS FREAKING CAGE persona, and while the film itself plays tribute to his career, he plays it in a self-deprecating way. A lovely surprise.

8/10
Is Sharon Horgan good in it? She’s a funny lady.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The Bodyguard
This is not a very good movie . No idea why either of them falls in love with the other seeing as neither have a personality.

The Samurai sword scene was awesome in my memory, but even that is shite.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Emma.. Yes, that double period is on purpose, cause the movie is called 'Emma.'.

Anyway: a 2000 UK romcom based on the Jane Austin book, about a high-society young woman that tries to set up people for marriages but finds out that she still has some things to learn in the world. Of course all ends well.

It's a lot of fun really. These Jan Austin films can often be quite stilted, because these upper-class folk can't really talk or move or basically do anything they really want, and everything advances (very slowly) through subtle suggestion and a lot of confusion. Not that some of those films aren't good, or that Emma. makes everything explicit; but here, the film makers often mock these rules of society by the way they shoot these scenes, the little glances they capture, and the music accompanying everything. Not quite traditional, but very enjoyable.

Apart from that, the narrative is of course wholly predictable from the start. I couldn't remember the plot of the book, but after 5-10 minutes, you can recognize the typical Jane Austin tropes and you know who will marry whom. But the performances are good and there is fun to be had, so it's all fine. 7/10

Superunknown

Saw it tonight and really liked it. The cinematography was beautiful.

Made me feel bad for not going to the gym today though so overall 3/10.
:lol: :lol:

I did feel a little bad as I was shovelling popcorn and other shit into my mouth.

"Man, this guy looks great." *spluttering food everywhere*

BlueHaze

The Nightingale

Hard to review this movie properly without giving away big spoilers since it starts off so brutally intense. This is a story of a woman who is out for revenge on the men responsible for taking her most precious things away from her in the most horrifying and tragic way. Her path is accompanied by a young lad who acts as her guide preventing her from getting lost in the woods. A very dark, graphic, intense and sad story, not for the sensitive ones.

7/10

BlueHaze

Beautiful Boy

A very emotional and sad yet inspirational movie based on a true story about a father and his relationship to his son which is succumbing to drug addiction. Starring Timothé Chalamet & Steve Carell. Both actors peform brilliantly throughout but Chalamet in particular once again stands out with his insane talent for acting. A movie that will for sure bring the emotions out of you and put you on the verge of tears. The fact that it is based on a true story brings another dynamic to the table.

It is a definite must watch if you ask me.

8/10

Sweet Square

I did feel a little bad as I was shovelling popcorn and other shit into my mouth.

"Man, this guy looks great." *spluttering food everywhere*
Watched I, Daniel Blake in the cinema and during the food bank scene, the guy a few rows in front stuffed his mouth full of m&ms.

Killed the tension tbh.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I just saw The Northman. Genuine 10/10. Robert Eggers is a God.
Seeing it tonight - quick question, does it have any Viking speaking in it or something? I'm going with my parents and brother, here in Madrid, so it'll be subtitled in Spanish, which will make it difficult if it's not totally in English.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Beautiful Boy

A very emotional and sad yet inspirational movie based on a true story about a father and his relationship to his son which is succumbing to drug addiction. Starring Timothé Chalamet & Steve Carell. Both actors peform brilliantly throughout but Chalamet in particular once again stands out with his insane talent for acting. A movie that will for sure bring the emotions out of you and put you on the verge of tears. The fact that it is based on a true story brings another dynamic to the table.

It is a definite must watch if you ask me.

8/10
Really?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Seeing it tonight - quick question, does it have any Viking speaking in it or something? I'm going with my parents and brother, here in Madrid, so it'll be subtitled in Spanish, which will make it difficult if it's not totally in English.
Yes, it does. But not a huge amount.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

8/10
It’s a 10/10 and 6/10 movie at the same time. Nic Cage must have a tortured brain. He clearly understands who he is as a human, who he is as ‘Nic Cage’, and who he has appeared to be in every public interaction across the last 20 years.

He breaks the 4th wall of reality/art, without ever actually doing so.

It’s 10/10 as art if you’re 35+. Really shite if you’re 18 years old.

I absolutely loved it. But also may never watch again.

BlueHaze

If you mean is the movie really that good then imo yes.

Edit: Just noticed the bolded part. Yes, I think he's a great actor. His performance in Call me by your name made him the youngest actor ever to be nominated for an oscar since 1939.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ambulance Well over 2 hrs yet maybe 10 minutes of plot. Shiny action but long winded meaningless nonsense in the end. I'd have liked it far more if they had cut an hour off the running time. 3/10

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Watching a Danish movie called hvidstensgruppen II. Not very good but thought one of the lead actresses looks a lot like a hot girl who used to come to my parties when i was younger. Turns out it is her.

diarm

Operation Mincemeat

I really enjoyed this. I didn't know the story beforehand and found it fascinating, but aside from that - the cast, script and pacing throughout was excellent.

I thought the way they told Ian Flemming's part in the story was genius and even better when I got home and read it was all true.

And Matthew Macfadyen is as good playing his character as he is playing Tom in Succession. Perhaps because they're the same person, simply 75 years and a continent apart.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

Now streaming on Sky Cinema from today, I'm so glad I didn't bother going to the cinema for this. What a pointless movie. Cardboard characters, aimless plot, third rate acting (Tom Hardy is such a rubbish actor) and substandard CGI all contrive to make for 90 minutes of carnage on screen. I couldn't think of a more fitting title for this film. The back and forth between Venom and Eddie was ok for one movie but now it becomes so jarring, you just want them to shut the feck up.

The usual one-dimensional antagonists with the short shelf lives do the film no favours here either. Predictable, unoriginal and formulaic stuff with very little redeeming qualities. You could tell they were struggling for ideas only just reaching the 90 minute mark. They're really going to have to step it up for the third outing.

I'm giving this a 4/10.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Operation Mincemeat

I really enjoyed this. I didn't know the story beforehand and found it fascinating, but aside from that - the cast, script and pacing throughout was excellent.

I thought the way they told Ian Flemming's part in the story was genius and even better when I got home and read it was all true.

And Matthew Macfadyen is as good playing his character as he is playing Tom in Succession. Perhaps because they're the same person, simply 75 years and a continent apart.
Forgot about this. How long has it been out?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Everything Everywhere All at once

I felt the last ~30 minutes could have been a bit shorter, but other than that: what a stellar movie. Absolutely crazy story, great humor, great cast.

9/10

If you like crazy and "special" movies don't read anything about it, don't watch any trailer and just go and see it.

And I'd especially like to say thank you to the person that came up with the idea for that scene
with the stones.
It was absolutely hilarious :lol:

pauldyson1uk

Spider-Man: No Way Home

With Spider-Man's identity now revealed, Peter asks Doctor Strange for help. When a spell goes wrong, dangerous foes from other worlds start to appear, forcing Peter to discover what it truly means to be Spider-Man.
Loved it, for me the best of all the Spiderman films.
The 3 Peter's and past baddies were brilliant.
Benedict Cumberbatch is very good, the acting and story line on the whole was excellent.

8/10