Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Heat

Rewatched after many years. A real slow burn, intense film that is much more than a diner scene between two legends. Really well worked, the direction, the way it looks, the fact you can smell and feel LA, it's a really good film with a great cast. Longer than I remembered but I really enjoyed it on repeat viewing. 8/10
The shootout scene was so intense & realistic that the North Hollywood bank robbers used it as a reference point on how to get out of a bank & potentially away from the police.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Very infuriating movie.
Because of the subject matter or do you mean the film itself? I'm shocked it even got made.
Heat

Rewatched after many years. A real slow burn, intense film that is much more than a diner scene between two legends. Really well worked, the direction, the way it looks, the fact you can smell and feel LA, it's a really good film with a great cast. Longer than I remembered but I really enjoyed it on repeat viewing. 8/10
Only 8???? Burn him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
River of the Tomb

Korean realist Gangster shit. Been a while since I see a good gangster movies, and the Korean really pulled no punch.

If you like gruesome knife fight with lots of stabs and stabs (no slash) this is for you. The story is predictable as with most gangster movie, but overall a very enjoyable movie if you like old school Gangster Movie

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Because of the subject matter or do you mean the film itself? I'm shocked it even got made.

Only 8???? Burn him.
Haha, it's good but people I think speak like it's the greatest movie ever made. I am also really strict with my ratings so an 8 is really good.

Also on Spotlight, why shocked it got made, 12 years before a Boston movie was made and had a theme on priests crimes (Mystic River)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Heat is pretty much perfect in my view. Can't find a single fault in it

caid

Doctor Strange - it was kind of ok i guess. I was looking forward to it more or less exclusively because of Sam Raimi, it was disappointing on that front, i'd say he directed about 15 mins worth of the film. Hell directed is probably generous. I'd say 90% of the film was made and directed by an algorithm with Sam Raimi brought in for a few specific parts with instructions to make it precisely like Evil Dead, with no deviations under any circumstances. As a braindead popcorn flick, it works and theres moments where you could imagine it being more than that but not a great film by any standard. Wont change anyones mind on Marvel, will leave a few more burned out on the whole series
5/10

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Lightyear - It's supposed to be the film that came out just before the beginning of toy story 1 that Andy sees and makes him want a buzz lightyear toy. Except the Buzz from the movie is nothing like the Buzz from toy story, nor does he turn into that Buzz. The only thing we get is the suit, which begs the question why go with that premise instead of just saying it's a standalone film? Either way it's pretty shite. For a film about a space ranger it doesn't feel like there is a lot of space in it. Most of the film is set on one planet and it's a pretty boring one. It does have a few good gags, socks is pretty funny, Taika Waititi needs to stop appearing in everything. Should have just been a cartooney pisstake of Star Wars, would have been a better and more interesting film.

pauldyson1uk

Heat

Never watched it, maybe I should?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Mad God is the best film I've seen this year. Tippets long awaited twisted motion captured post apocalypse vision is breath-taking.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Heat

Slow burn ? interesting. Think its Mann's best paced film alongside Man-Hunter.

The second major set-piece ,regarding the robbery, is a big bug-bear for me, though. All logic fly's out the window.
The over the top action and indulgent macho bravado of that act is totally ridiculous.

You wouldn't have the police department acting in such a loose and unprofessional manner by basically have a Western-esq shootout in the middle of a highly populated civilized area just because some guys robbed a bank. You just tail them and see where they go.
It was such a classic 'Hollywood scene'.

I love the film but that act just made my eyes roll.
Mann's better than that.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Slow burn ? interesting. Think its Mann's best paced film alongside Man-Hunter.

The second major set-piece ,regarding the robbery, is a big bug-bear for me, though. All logic fly's out the window.
The over the top action and indulgent macho bravado of that act is totally ridiculous.

You wouldn't have the police department acting in such a loose and unprofessional manner by basically have a Western-esq shootout in the middle of a highly populated civilized area just because some guys robbed a bank. You just tail them and see where they go.
It was such a classic 'Hollywood scene'.

I love the film but that act just made my eyes roll.
Mann's better than that.
Funnily enough, that robbery scene is seen as a gold standard in Hollywood for its realism vis à vis weapons training & action / execution.

But you’re right, there wouldn’t necessarily be a severe gunfight in the middle / downtown of a major city.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Funnily enough, that robbery scene is seen as a gold standard in Hollywood for its realism vis à vis weapons training & action / execution.

But you’re right, there wouldn’t necessarily be a severe gunfight in the middle / downtown of a major city.
Doesn't surprise me. Money over civilians lives and all that. ;)

I just expect that scene to be in a Bay film. It has that air of dumb about it which I expect better from Mann.

Anyway, I'm watching Cronenberg's Crimes of the Future tonight. Naturally I think I'm going to love it because it's friggin Cronenberg but we'll see.

Suv666

Northman was amazing. Eggers is top tier. Witch, Lighthouse and Northman. The hits keep on coming.
8/10

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Quite confused Heat is considered slow or abit.
Just one criticism I wouldn't level at it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Quite confused Heat is considered slow or abit.
Just one criticism I wouldn't level at it.
Well, it takes its time and is about 2h50 long. It's certainly not fast. And if all you know about it is that it's a heist film and has a huge shootout at some point, then you might expect something much more fast-paced.

But yeah, it's not actually slow. Nothing like the opening scene of Once Upon A Time In The West, say.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If you simplify the concept but there's alot more going on within the film (Heat).

Me personally, I would say its more involved than slow.

OK I will add Heat to my watch list.
Yeah, definitely recommended.

I would also say you should checkout Mann's earlier film Manhunter and William Friedkin's underrated yet brilliant cop thriller To Live and Die in L.A. Absolutely brilliant film even with the slightly cringe closing scene.

pauldyson1uk

If you simplify the concept but there's alot more going on within the film (Heat).

Me personally, I would say its more involved than slow.

Yeah, definitely recommended.

I would also say you should checkout Mann's earlier film Manhunter and William Friedkin's underrated yet brilliant cop thriller To Live and Die in L.A. Absolutely brilliant film even with the slightly cringe closing scene.
Seen both of these both excellent.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Seen both of these both excellent.
To Live and Die in L.A. is just brilliant.
Love how it plays against the stereotype of this cool and cocksure cop who, though he does it by his own rules, he wins out in the end.
The narrative brilliantly spirals out of control for him and his partner.

The anti Miami Vice to some extent.

Fantastic looking film too.

More people need to watch it and talk about it.

decorativeed

The Grand Budapest Hotel

I don't really like Wes Anderson movies. I like how Wes Anderson movies look but that's about it. So I've only watched The Darjeeling Limited and The Royal Tenenbaums, and had to force my way through Fantastic Mr Fox because the kids love it (although Tenenbaums was alright I suppose).

I fecking LOVED Grand Budapest. It's quirky, farcical and yet it's got a lot of moments that were bloody hilarious. The plot was a great ride as well, plus it helps that Ralph Fiennes is center stage to knock it out of the park with his performance. Mixed metaphors be damned.

Might need to give this Wes guy's other stuff a crack.

9/10
Rushmore is his funniest, in my opinion. One of my favourites.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Bottle Rocket is a great little film. Visually toned down compared to his later efforts but his character work is top notch.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Rushmore is his funniest, in my opinion. One of my favourites.
Couldn't stand it. Wes Anderson films in general are rather hit and miss for me. I kinda like his sense of humour, but the overlap between his and my taste is only partial - and I guess Rushmore plays out more in the bit where his taste doesn't overlap with mine.

Of course, his films thend to be great stylistically and that's worth seeing in and of itself; but it does become grating rather soon if the tone/sense of humour doesn't work for me.

caid

Couldn't stand it. Wes Anderson films in general are rather hit and miss for me. I kinda like his sense of humour, but the overlap between his and my taste is only partial - and I guess Rushmore plays out more in the bit where his taste doesn't overlap with mine.

Of course, his films thend to be great stylistically and that's worth seeing in and of itself; but it does become grating rather soon if the tone/sense of humour doesn't work for me.
I worked in a video shop for a few years and found most of his films pretty tolerable after the 1000th time. Even the weaker ones that i didn't particularly love the first time. Good soundtracks, good actors, usually pretty good humoured even when about something miserable. I'm not sure how relevant that is to anyone knowdays when video shops dont exist and you dont have to watch 40 hours worth of movies that wont get you given out to by parents of 5 year olds who dont appreciate you watching evil dead at 11 in the morning.

Sylar

Man from Toronto

Fun buddy movie, comedy action. Kevin Hart and woody H. It's what you would expect from a Kevin Hart movie so you will either like it or hate it
Predictable but that's not always a bad thing. Good entertaining movie

Spider head
Decent premise but kinda meh too. Was ok to watch as a one time thing. Has Thor and Mr fantastic from the one time reboot ...

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So I was initially going to be watching Cronenberg's latest film Crimes of the Future, not to get mixed up with one of his earlier films with the same title, but was instead dragged (kicking and screaming) to watch the latest MARVEL film Product Dr Strange : In the Multiverse of Madness.

I'm just going to cut right to the sharp point, its terrible.

It's so fecking awful.

It has a paper thin plot about some mega witch who wants to live in a universe where she's the mother to two needy and annoying 9 year olds because that would bring content into her life but the only way she can achieve this is by capturing and killing a young super hero called America, who can traverse between universes in a unexplained fashion, by draining this young girl of her power soul...or something.
But luckily for America she stumbles into a universe where Dr Strange becomes her hero sidekick and both team up in goofy, sarky Marvel fashion to hop around Universes to get some magic Macguffin book, Vishanti , that will practically save the day.

What ensues is the customary gobbledygook dialogue followed by the soulless, long and over indulgent CGI battles involving wizards and magicians throwing magical space balls at each other.
Isn't this fun ? !

The weight of the film is largely carried by the personality of Cumberbatch and occasionally Benedict Wong. Olsen looks like someone who just does not give a flying hoot any more about this stuff. A going through the motions performance if ever I saw one.
Visually there were a few niche, eccentric and classic Raimi touches, mainly in the last third, but not enough for me but ,hey, that is always going to be the case with MARVEL. Can't give a cult director too much visual control eh ?

So, that's it really.
I wont give it a rating out of 5 or 10 because I tend to not do that but I think my review pretty much encapsulate my feelings on this film.

Tonight I'm watching Crimes of the Future ! Yippee !

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The Hateful Eight - mystery black comedy-cum-Western from Tarantino with a top tier cast. 8 strangers are locked together in a cabin during a blizzard as a bounty hunter is transporting his prisoner to a nearby town. It's a good movie, nothing special. There's plenty of gratuitous violence and sharp dialogue, but at times it felt like a poor imitation of a Coen Brothers film. Also at around 2 hours 47, it is a long film, and probably could have lost around 20 mins. There's enough in there to keep you interested however, and keep the movie plotting along. Overall, it's a 6.5/10 for me.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
See I found the Hateful Eight as one of Tarantino's better works. I love the tension and intimacy of the set and its characters.
The fact the film has a very strong theatrical vibe gives it a unique feel outside the Tarantino's other films.