Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Somehow I've gotten really turned off animated movies. It's not really the same thing, as not all animated movies are for kids, but I think it's due to my kids mostly watching animated movies and me making the connection there somehow. Anyway, I now just cannot motivate myself to watch anything that's animated if I get the choice - but in the past, I used to love stuff like Pixar movies.
I think that might be it. Plus the last Pixar one I tried was Soul that I thought was very poor. In fact the last really good film they made was probably UP in 2009 (and even that had that stupid bird).

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I think that might be it. Plus the last Pixar one I tried was Soul that I thought was very poor. In fact the last really good film they made was probably UP in 2009 (and even that had that stupid bird).
I'd have Coco and Inside Out up there too.

Andy_Cole

Think you’re being harsh. Coco, Inside Out, Onward is some of the best stuff Pixar has done. Luca and Raya was decent too, plus the sequels of previous movies (finding dory, monsters universe, incredible 2, wreck it Ralph 2).

If you go on to Disney, there’s Frozen, Moana, Zootopia, and Encanto. Plus Toy Story 4.

I’m sure I’ve missed some, but they’ve had an incredible run of movies since 2009.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Think you’re being harsh. Coco, Inside Out, Onward is some of the best stuff Pixar has done. Luca and Raya was decent too, plus the sequels of previous movies (finding dory, monsters universe, incredible 2, wreck it Ralph 2).

If you go on to Disney, there’s Frozen, Moana, Zootopia, and Encanto. Plus Toy Story 4.

I’m sure I’ve missed some, but they’ve had an incredible run of movies since 2009.
I might just have seen too much animation when my son was young (he is 23 now) but of the ones you mention that I have seen I didn't like Inside Out and Toy Story 4 and Incredibles 2 were ok but forgettable.

TheReligion

Abusive

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, there's something there - although I agree with others that Pixar did still produce some good stuff. It's not just Pixar though. I watched the Spiderverse film and The Mitchells vs The Machines (this one with the kids), and they were pretty fun; but I just postponed watching the Spiderverse one for months until my wife won over and we watched it. And I feel like I should watch the Studio Ghibli films, but I just can't get myself to actually want to.

That's actually mixing up Pixar and Disney Animations: Wreck-It Ralph and Raya are Disney, while Toy Story is Pixar. But yeah, they have become rather alike, especially since Pixar has been doing more and more films with human characters (like Luca, Coco, Soul, Seeing Red, etc.), and Disney Animations has become a lot more interesting and diverse (I really like Zootopia and Moana in particular).

See, I still like them - just can't motivate myself to watch them without my kids. :D

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Tombstone - highly rated Western from the early 90s with a great cast (Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott) playing the Wyatt brothers and Doc Holliday.

It was ok, was expecting something more. Like I said it was highly rated but I’m struggling to see why. There’s plenty more Westerns from the decade which are a lot better. The pacing was a bit off, Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell’s character) wasn’t that engaging. The acting was overall fine (Val Kilmer was great).

@Cheimoon obligatory tag as you’re into your Westerns too.

I’d give this a 5.5/10.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Tombstone - highly rated Western from the early 90s with a great cast (Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott) playing the Wyatt brothers and Doc Holliday.

It was ok, was expecting something more. Like I said it was highly rated but I’m struggling to see why. There’s plenty more Westerns from the decade which are a lot better. The pacing was a bit off, Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell’s character) wasn’t that engaging. The acting was overall fine (Val Kilmer was great).

I’d give this a 5.5/10.
I was going to disagree, but then I thought up of at least 3 (Unforgiven, Quigley Down Under, Dances With Wolves) and now I want to watch a 90’s Western.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I’d give this a 5.5/10.
Cheers!

I think I saw this in the 90s and I can barely remember anything... I know Wyatt Earp was on Netflix, but I saw it had been panned by critics and it looked absolutely awful (slow, plodding) in its trailers, so we skipped it. Tombstone is supposed to be the better Wyatt Earp film from what I know. I don't think I have access to it know, but I still got Silverado lined up, which I don't think I've seen yet.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
The Black Phone -
Finney Shaw is a shy but clever 13-year-old boy who's being held in a soundproof basement by a sadistic, masked killer. When a disconnected phone on the wall starts to ring, he soon discovers that he can hear the voices of the murderer's previous victims -- and they are dead set on making sure that what happened to them doesn't happen to Finney.

Was a decent horror jaunt. Only one jump scare, though. The main protagonist's sister stole the show for me. I feel like a horror film should either be grisly or terrifying and this is neither really.

Worth seeing for fans of the genre. 7/10

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I was going to disagree, but then I thought up of at least 3 (Unforgiven, Quigley Down Under, Dances With Wolves) and now I want to watch a 90’s Western.
I’m using a pretty loose definition of Westerns to be fair, and I’m including ‘modern’ Westerns such as El Mariachi, Desperado etc but yes there were a few better from that decade.

Unforgiven was the best though. Astonishing movie and ahead of it’s time which is some feat considering how many Westerns there have been over the decades!

Cheers!

I think I saw this in the 90s and I can barely remember anything... I know Wyatt Earp was on Netflix, but I saw it had been panned by critics and it looked absolutely awful (slow, plodding) in its trailers, so we skipped it. Tombstone is supposed to be the better Wyatt Earp film from what I know. I don't think I have access to it know, but I still got Silverado lined up, which I don't think I've seen yet.
Yes I was tempted to watch Wyatt Earp (strangely enough came out 6 months after Tombstone) aswell but this one just didn’t do anything for me so I think I’ll pass.

I’ve got Little Big Man lined up next.

Not sure if it’ll be the same for you but my Amazon Prime have a pretty neat catalogue of Westerns through the years.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes I was tempted to watch Wyatt Earp (strangely enough came out 6 months after Tombstone) aswell but this one just didn’t do anything for me so I think I’ll pass.

I’ve got Little Big Man lined up next.

Not sure if it’ll be the same for you but my Amazon Prime have a pretty neat catalogue of Westerns through the years.
It might, but I only have Netflix. I don't want to stack subscriptions while there's still so much to watch (I used to watch whatever happened to be on tv as well and didn't complain) - although I'm.now tempted to try Mubi based on recent discussions on here. They might have some arthouse westerns as well! :D

(Actually, nah: I don't watch enough now to justify getting a second subscription - and I do need something that has kids cartoons as well.)

Loon

:lol:
It might, but I only have Netflix. I don't want to stack subscriptions while there's still so much to watch (I used to watch whatever happened to be on tv as well and didn't complain) - although I'm.now tempted to try Mubi based on recent discussions on here. They might have some arthouse westerns as well! :D

(Actually, nah: I don't watch enough now to justify getting a second subscription - and I do need something that has kids cartoons as well.)
The great Walter Hill's GERONIMO is on Netflix and worth watching.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Paranormal: Next Of Kin
So finally got to watch a film at home after more than 3 months and yeah... wasted it on this :lol: Tried to go a different route to the franchise but whilst I admire it tried to go a different way, it just tread into ground other films have previously done. The final 30 minutes or so were quite good though 4/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Mad God is the best film I've seen this year. Tippets long awaited twisted motion captured post apocalypse vision is breath-taking.
Yeah, it was interesting. Visually unique.
I watched this the other day, and while it was definitely breath taking from a visual perspective (the vision and amount of detail is insane), it left me a bit cold. I feel that for most parts it was too much style over substance, and while I thought the aesthetics were fascinating, they were for the most part not really telling a story or saying anything interesting. The last 15/20 minutes slightly changed that, there was more of a poetic dimension to it, but it came a little bit too late.

Definitely worth seeing though, strange and interesting film.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its all about texture, sound and atmosphere really, which I believe Tippet and his gang capture brilliantly with their depiction of a nuclear holocaust/fallout.
With its ugly mutations and its lack of complete humanity. Its a beautifully constructed yet depressing expedition film.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Its all about texture, sound and atmosphere really, which I believe Tippet and his gang capture brilliantly with their depiction of a nuclear holocaust/fallout.
With its ugly mutations and its lack of complete humanity. Its a beautifully constructed yet depressing expedition film.
Sure. I just think that only goes so far in keeping interest, and even if the film isn't that long, it's not as engrossing or captivating as it could be.

It's more personal preference I guess, and I did actually enjoy it and I think it's brilliant. Just felt that considering how much time it took to make it, it could have been a bit more solid on other fronts beyond the pure technical aspects.

caid

I watched this the other day, and while it was definitely breath taking from a visual perspective (the vision and amount of detail is insane), it left me a bit cold. I feel that for most parts it was too much style over substance, and while I thought the aesthetics were fascinating, they were for the most part not really telling a story or saying anything interesting. The last 15/20 minutes slightly changed that, there was more of a poetic dimension to it, but it came a little bit too late.

Definitely worth seeing though, strange and interesting film.
Yeah it left me cold too, I just wasn't that engaged by it or something? It didn't pull me in and make me care about the character(s). Definitely worth a watch despite that

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Just watched Thor 4.

At times it's almost a little too dumb but in general it's hilarious, bold and just pure fun. The action and the visuals are great and Christian Bale as Gorr is one of the villains in the MCU yet.

If you liked/loved Thor 3, you will like/love this one as well.

8/10

DeGea’sFeet

Fresh (2022) 7/10

Comedy/Horror/Survival

Watched this before I was allowed to post here.
Girl has a couple of online dates with utter creeps but then meets her dream guy the old school way. Things take a turn when she discovers what he really has a taste for.

DeGea’sFeet

I don’t think I get it? I’ve got sky and Netflix. Will I find it on sky somewhere (hbo)?

Thanks by the way!
Sky have the rights to most of HBO’s main stuff. So you’ll most likely find anything HBO on Sky Atlantic or related channels.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Laurence Anyways. It's nice to watch a movie that really embraces the potential of film as a visual medium of moving pictures. That might sound obvious, but in lots of films, the camera seems to have been placed just where it kinda made sense and that's it; a from of theater with more flexible settings. But Xavier Dolan in this film tries to make every shot into a great image, and abundantly and with great flair uses visual imagery instead of dialogue to tell the story and make points. The story itself isn't the strongest (the concept is great, but the execution is unfocused) - but one way or another, I really enjoyed the experience of watching this.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Little Big Man - revisionist epic 1970s Western with a young Dustin Hoffman as the titular 'Little Big Man'. A survivor from a Pawnee attack is raised by Cheyenne and gets involved in a series of misadventures, as both an Indian and as a White Man and comes across the typical figures in the Old West. Think Forrest Gump set in the Old West.

It's an excellent, understated and circular movie. The first 45 mins meanders but it then finds its feet. Its a commentary on anti-American intervention (was made during the Vietnam war) and to my knowledge, one of the earliest movies to show the Indians in a sympathetic light with the Americans as the aggressors. The cast is fantastic (special shout out to Old Lodge Skins) and the women are beautiful (Faye Dunaway and Aimee Eccles playing Hoffman's love interests). There's some dark humour throughout, and we're brought back to characters to see how their journey progresses throughout Little Big Man's life.

It also has such a well thought out, muted and original ending -

There's actually another 1 min scene after this that compounds this ending (set in modern day when the protagonist is 126 years old and concludes the telling of his life story), but I can't seem to find it on YouTube.

I'd say it's an 8.5/10.

Sweet Square

Benedetta(2002)

Verhoeven still has it. Erotic and disturbingly violent, a film that understands both the radical side of Christianity and also the reactionary hierarchy of the church.

9/10

Sweet Square

Been meaning to watch this.
It's currently on Mubi. I won't spoil anything but there is a lot of nudity and sex to the point where it might be awkward to watch with other people. I'm a massive Verhoeven fan so I was always going to like this(Imo even if Verhoeven was coked out of his tits, it still doesn't take away from the fact that Dream Girls is a masterpiece)but even with that, it was very good. Reminded me in a way of Pasolini masterpiece - The Bible According To Matthew although I can't see the Vatican endorsing Benedetta. It turns out atheists make the best films about Jesus.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Tokyo Vice

Excellent from start to finish. Seen the trailer and thinks the American played by Ansel looks out of place but boy am i wrong.

Its nice seeing a westerner actually speak Japanese instead of everyone suddenly speaks english, well they do but at least the protagonists mostly speaks Japanese, and quite believeable instead of the usual broken few liners.

can't speak for Japanese but i think they portray tokyo quite as i imagined as a local. No fancy apartment.

Looking forward to 2nd season. Oh Michael Mann actually produced it?

9 out of 10.

el3mel

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Decent MCU movie, the first hour was very good, but the second half unfortunately loses a lot of steam and the final battle turned into a CGI feast which ruined the last act completely for me. Should have stuck with martial arts. That's what I thought the movie would be about.

Still, a fun watch if you ignore that.

7/10

Fracture90

Got to see the new Thor.

7/10, typical Taika movie, losts of fun in a colorful setting. Thought it would be longer though.

Screaming goats are hilarious, dunno why but scenes with them genuinely got me chuckling.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Tokyo Vice

Excellent from start to finish. Seen the trailer and thinks the American played by Ansel looks out of place but boy am i wrong.

Its nice seeing a westerner actually speak Japanese instead of everyone suddenly speaks english, well they do but at least the protagonists mostly speaks Japanese, and quite believeable instead of the usual broken few liners.

can't speak for Japanese but i think they portray tokyo quite as i imagined as a local. No fancy apartment.

Looking forward to 2nd season. Oh Michael Mann actually produced it?

9 out of 10.
This is the movie review thread, though.
Sir, this is a Wendy's...