Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Elvis

What a superb film. Wasn't expecting something this epic tbh.
Austin Butler nails it.

Cinema at it's finest.
I enjoyed it too, was shocked to read it was Butler actually singing. Mad.

I did think, however, that Tom Hanks’ accent was a bit shit at times.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I really enjoyed Get Out but thought Us was so overrated. The trailer was infinitely better than the final movie. I really hope NOPE is good...

Elcabron

The Departed

The most overrated film of all time?

The buck starts and ends at decent entertainment, at best. The premise is stupid with how interlinked they all are. The acting is overdone by almost all parties, which means instead of the gritty thriller it initially seems like trying to be, it ends up coming across as a little daft, which ends up giving off a confusing vibe where you wonder if it is actually meant to be a dark comedy. Nicholson is hard to take seriously. Even Leo, who albeit is pretty good, seems larger than life (even for a Bostoner). Don't get me started on Ray Winstone's accent. Not to mention cliche after cliche.

And while I'm here...why the feck would the psychiatrist agree to go for coffee with the guy who's just gone nuts at her?

I feel like it would have been better if it had just leant more in to the dark comedy route and decided that's what it actually is.
Agreed. Very over rated nonsense.

Sweet Square

Need a film tonight having come off the back of Audrey Diwan's excellent thought provoking drama Happening (2021).
Don’t think I have posted this in here before

https://youtube.com/channel/UCpFDUddD2ctSqtYYBomGv1Q

If your looking for Japanese films(Along with the some from Hong Kong)this channel has a ton with most of them having English subtitles. Just started watching Pulse by Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

Also the the criterion version of Larisa Shepitko - Krylya(Wings)is also on YouTube.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

If your looking for Japanese films(Along with the some from Hong Kong)this channel has a ton with most of them having English subtitles. Just started watching Pulse by Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

Also the the criterion version of Larisa Shepitko - Krylya(Wings)is also on YouTube.
That's the one you linked me to before and I agree, many of those films are fantastic. People should watch them.

Maborosi, Made in Hong Kong, Swallowtail Butterfly, Oasis (challenging), 3-Iron, Yi Yi, March Comes in Like a Lion, All About Lily Chou Chou, After Life, Angel Dust (any Soshi Ishii!), August in the Water, Terrorizers, Blue, Linda Linda Linda (fun)... all Vidyoyo recommended.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

That's the one you linked me to before and I agree, many of those films are fantastic. People should watch them.

Maborosi, Made in Hong Kong, Swallowtail Butterfly, Oasis (challenging), 3-Iron, Yi Yi, March Comes in Like a Lion, All About Lily Chou Chou, After Life, Angel Dust (any Soshi Ishii!), August in the Water, Terrorizers, Blue, Linda Linda Linda (fun)... all Vidyoyo recommended.
Cool, will try to check them out.

fergosaurus

Arctic

Good survival film where Mads Mikkelsen's character is stranded in the Arctic (obviously) after a plane crash. Not much dialogue but managed to stay engaging and there's some stunning scenery, shot in Iceland with the widest angled lenses ever made.

7/10

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The Father

An incredible movie. Antony Hopkins plays an elderly man suffering with dementia and Olivia Colman plays his exasperated daughter. It shows things from Hopkin’s perspective throughout and shows how difficult it can be living with such a condition. To be honest, a description won’t do it justice, it needs to be seen to be appreciated. It’s stayed on my mind after watching it, not many movies have from what I’ve seen recently.

First off, Antony Hopkins’ acting is incredible. I was moved to tears in a couple of instances. He’s just so so good, and 80+ years old aswell. Colman has been excellent in everything I’ve seen of her. The rest of the cast are also fantastic. It’s on Netflix so I’d definitely recommend you all watch this. 9/10

Old Ma Crow

The Guard

Maverick small town Irish copper vs ruthless criminals. Brendan Gleeson brilliant as usual supported well by a good cast. Funny fecking film.

7/10

Sweet Square

Angel Dust (any Soshi Ishii!)
It’s a shame the video quality was poor as its a great watch. Really got Micheal Mann Manhunter vibes from it. Also loved Kaho Minami performance and look

Everything I’ve watched so far from Soshi Ishii has been brillaint

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Boiling Point

Watched this the other day on Netflix and thought it was fecking incredible. It stars Stephen Graham as a head chef of a London restaurant who's very much on edge. And there aren’t many actors out there who can do "on edge" quite like Stephen Graham. Suffice to say, he’s phenomenal.

The movie is filmed in a single, 90-minute take. And yes, this is actually a real single take as opposed to something like Birdman or 1917. And I know something like this can sometimes distract from the movie itself because it's what the movie primarily becomes known for (like those previous films mentioned) but it really does warrant it. As a result of this technique, the movie becomes incredibly intense and you're on the edge of your seat for basically the duration of the film.

Honestly, it’s one of the most intense and thrilling experiences I’ve had in a movie in some time. It’s relentless and exhausting as we effortlessly drift in and out of the lives of the people working at the restaurant. It’s incredibly seamless and unobtrusive how they do it. The one-take “gimmick” never gets in the way but rather compliments the story being told.

Highly recommend it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The 'colonel' was Dutch, so assuming Tom Hanks revved it up for full effect.

Great film.
I haven't seen it, but Dutch press have complained that Hanks went full Amish for the accent - which doesn't sound anything like Dutch. But Parker (Dries van Kuijk) was born and raised in the Nederlands and apparently always retained a strong Dutch accent.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It’s a shame the video quality was poor as its a great watch. Really got Micheal Mann Manhunter vibes from it. Also loved Kaho Minami performance and look

Everything I’ve watched so far from Soshi Ishii has been brillaint
Yeah image quality isn't great but I'll be damned if the lo fi look doesn't give it extra midnight movie vibes

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Grey Man
Yet another massive key expensive project that looks cheap. Why do these people keep wasting talent and dollars on poor product. It’s an abomination of a film. Some solid fight scenes, Ryan Gosling playing the offspring of MacGyver & John Wick should have been lots of fun. But oh my god it’s got some of the worst cinematography I’ve ever scene. Stupid transition shots. Some flat out horrifying cuts. 4/10

Edit : Whatever dickhead decided to film in Croatia then film at night… needs shooting.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Grey Man
Yet another massive key expensive project that looks cheap. Why do these people keep wasting talent and dollars on poor product. It’s an abomination of a film. Some solid fight scenes, Ryan Gosling playing the offspring of MacGyver & John Wick should have been lots of fun. But oh my god it’s got some of the worst cinematography I’ve ever scene. Stupid transition shots. Some flat out horrifying cuts. 4/10

Edit : Whatever dickhead decided to film in Croatia then film at night… needs shooting.
It was fecking awful, but I was compelled to see it through to the end. I agree with the 4/10.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
4/10 is generous. Should've just had Gosling and Evans quipping back and forth for 120 minutes and that would've taken it to 6.

DeGea’sFeet

The Grey Man

Looks cheap because the budget goes on hiring an a-list cast so little left over.

I thought it was a 6/10, despite agreeing with what you said.

Starts off like a James Bond type of action movie but then the action becomes more Fast Furious like.

Most of the actors were just having fun with their roles and thought it was a decent popcorn movie. Sequels might end up becoming really crap thou. Because they’ll have to either go bigger on the action, or actually try and focus on a plot and much better dialogue.

TheReligion

Abusive
The Grey Man

It was fecking awful, but I was compelled to see it through to the end. I agree with the 4/10.
4/10 is generous. Should've just had Gosling and Evans quipping back and forth for 120 minutes and that would've taken it to 6.
It’s so bad. So very, very bad.
Looks cheap because the budget goes on hiring an a-list cast so little left over.

Starts off like a James Bond type of action movie but then the action becomes more Fast Furious like.

Most of the actors were just having fun with their roles and thought it was a decent popcorn movie. Sequels might end up becoming really crap thou. Because they’ll have to either go bigger on the action, or actually try and focus on a plot and much better dialogue.
It’s a 5/10 movie but I love Ryan Gosling so possibly a touch biased.

Easy to watch action film with not much story and loads of clichés. If that’s what you fancy go ahead and stick it on but don’t expect much more.

Cast is great so no idea why Netflix can’t seem to start pulling out decent stuff.

Sweet Square

Yeah image quality isn't great but I'll be damned if the lo fi look doesn't give it extra midnight movie vibes
Agree with that. I often find with new horror/thriller films that they look to clean, they lack a certain level of atmosphere(Even if that atmosphere is just a low video quality).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I have a issue with the Blu-ray conversion of ALIEN. They've completely stripped the film from its initial grainy atmospheric look.
Its too polished.

Sylar

It’s a 5/10 movie but I love Ryan Gosling so possibly a touch biased.

Easy to watch action film with not much story and loads of clichés. If that’s what you fancy go ahead and stick it on but don’t expect much more.

Cast is great so no idea why Netflix can’t seem to start pulling out decent stuff.
I'd go along with this. It's a cliche type movie but it's a fun time passer. Great cast for sure. Not one you will watch again though

DeGea’sFeet

One to watch: Prey 2022 streaming August 5th

Latest addition to the Predator franchise is causing quite a stir. I’ll admit I don’t know if it’s a new form of marketing, but seen clips of audiences standing up and clapping after it watching it. The comments by verified people on Twitter so far have been outstanding, again I don’t know if they are paid off or not. My usual instinct is only trust reviews once a movie is already out.

But I’m optimistic about this, if it’s as good as they say then great will be a great survival horror. If it’s as bad as the worse Predator movie then it’ll still be watchable.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've watched both trailers for Prey and it looks ok, nothing more.
I love the concept and the setting/period though, makes perfect sense really for a Predator film.

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The screening was the premiere at Comic-con consisting of "select fans", so I wouldn't put much stock into the rapturous reaction.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The screening was the premiere at Comic-con consisting of "select fans", so I wouldn't put much stock into the rapturous reaction.
Agree and it always seems to be that ,once the film is released to the general public and reviewers, they get lukewarm receptions.

There's a fair amount of cringey dialogue in the trailers which I hope don't feature in the final release.

DeGea’sFeet

I've watched both trailers for Prey and it looks ok, nothing more.
I love the concept and the setting/period though, makes perfect sense really for a Predator film.
Yeah. Since seeing Predator 2 many years ago, I always wanted a Predator movie set back in time and actually thought that’s what would come next.

Chairman Steve

The Gray Man is like a Tony Scott action movie done bad.

If Tony Scott were alive to make this, it’d be a critically solid summer blockbuster movie that would do well in the box office.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Grey Man - If the SFX can’t do what you want the scene to do, don’t do it. Don’t just do it. Do a diluted version of your idea. Or rework the scene.

The Tram scene was fun. But some of the SFX was as bad as I have ever seen in a major movie.

Nickelodeon

Cha Cha Real Smooth- It's a wonderful, complex character oriented movie. Handles mental health as sincerely and sensitively as I've seen. Love these sorts of movies. Cooper Raiff is one to watch out both as an actor and director. Dakota Johnson is coming in her own with another wonderful performance post The Lost Daughter. 8/10 for this one.

Old: I liked the concept and the cinematography is beautiful as well. But the movie has been made with childishly and deserves all the ridicule that has come its way. MNS has to refocus or he'll become irrelevant. In the hands of another director this could easily have been an 7-8/10 type of movie. A generous 5/10 from me though.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah The Grey Man (I'm not spelling it the wrong way) just kind of happened didn't it. Seen the same story a thousand times before in all it's variations and it didn't really do anything to separate itself from the pack. I do like Gosling though and watched it to the end.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The Gray Man - A grey film where nothing really stands out. Nothing to complain about either. Gosling and Evans deliver a good performance. Ana de Armas is there too, for no particular reason. There literally is no deviation from the tropes in plot.

6/10

ChrisNelson

I think The Gray Man was OK but nothing more.

It doesn't really offer anything that plenty of action (and of course spy films in particular) haven't already done in the past.

I was unfortunate enough to see The 355 earlier this year which was pretty much an identikit of a thousand pervious action films.

This is an identikit of a thousand previous spy movies - it tries to be a cross between Bond, Bourne and Mission Impossible but lives up to none of them.

6.5/10.

Sweet Square

Batman Returns

Michelle Pfeiffer is the perfect woman in latex, Danny DeVito penguin is a warm up to Frank from Sunny, Michael Keaton scratches a cd like a vinyl record and theres even a penguin army.

Very silly.

7/10

Last edited: