Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Ladron de redcafe

Matrix should have never gotten a sequel in the first place, i argue the follow ups have actually devalued the original one.
Yeah, I agree. Even if it may seem harsh, that's the feeling I got because any mention of the Matrix itself more often than now devolves into groans about the ensuing sequels and how bad they were.

Andy_Cole

Matrix should have never gotten a sequel in the first place, i argue the follow ups have actually devalued the original.
Ah nah I can take out the original without thinking of the sequels. I’ve literally watched the sequels once in full sitting and the odd 30 mins here and there when it’s on TV.

The original has been watched 10s of times.

pauldyson1uk

Jurassic World Dominion

Good to see the original cast, the inclusion of Dodgson is good and you get to see the shaving cream can.. The plot is weak, they have rehashed some of the bits from the original, you will see when you watch it. Was it the ending the franchise deserved, I would have to say no, it could have been so so much better.
Takeaway the dinos and Jurassic in the name and you have a crappy afternoon Sci-Fi channel film about giant locusts.

4/10

After a rethink my review is harsh
I enjoyed the film, but still think it could have been better.
I think 6/10 is a fairer score.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Jurassic World Dominion

Good to see the original cast, the inclusion of Dodgson is good and you get to see the shaving cream can.. The plot is weak, they have rehashed some of the bits from the original, you will see when you watch it. Was it the ending the franchise deserved, I would have to say no, it could have been so so much better.
Takeaway the dinos and Jurassic in the name and you have a crappy afternoon Sci-Fi channel film about giant locusts.

4/10
Bit harsh. Thought it was actually pretty good. The inclusion of the old gang didn't seem too contrived and forced for screen time and there was plenty of action, more than I expected. Was great to see Dallas Howard kicking ass too. She's so hot. Didn't feel like an end to a franchise? Perhaps if some of the main cast had been taken out by the Dinos, then yeah. Anyway, I thought it was one of the better offerings of the franchise. At least a 7 for me.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Incantation
Years after she got put into a mental institute, a once cursed women tries to get her life back together and get her daughter back... But the curse has other ideas...

Found footage mockumentary in the vein of Noroi: The Curse... Starts with a bang and ends really well too but in the middle, becomes a little contrived but I felt that was partly because the story loses aim a bit but also because of things lost in translation as I'm not that familiar with Taiwanese culture.

Overall though, the plot is confusing but after you sit, think and dissect... It all actually makes sense. The acting was decent and the narrative was decent and very creepy.

Maybe I'm being a bit lenient because I haven't seen a proper horror in months but yeah I enjoyed it... It's on Netflix so easy access to those who wanna watch it 7/10

Superunknown

Prey

Oh my actual god...we got a fantastic Predator film. :eek: :drool:
I saw the initial trailer for this and was convinced it would end up disappointing. The Predator and Alien franchise has continued to disappoint over the last decade or two. I had no hope left and almost didn't watch this, had it not been for a few comments I saw online.

Watched it last night and it blew me away. Firstly, the choice of setting and time period is just a stunning design choice. :drool:
The 'simple' and tight storyline meant that it never got too convoluted. It had a simple premise that it stuck with and it achieved it very well. I loved the characters, including the main character of Naru. It never felt cliched or stereotypical in any way, which it quite easily could have done.

The fight scenes were brilliant. Particularly the bear fight with the Predator holding the bear triumphantly over its head and dousing itself with its blood.

Overall, it far, far, far exceeded my expectations. Expected absolute trash but ended up with treasure. As a huge fan of the original film (and I liked 2, too), this completely and utterly delivered. :drool::devil:

pauldyson1uk

Bit harsh. Thought it was actually pretty good. The inclusion of the old gang didn't seem too contrived and forced for screen time and there was plenty of action, more than I expected. Was great to see Dallas Howard kicking ass too. She's so hot. Didn't feel like an end to a franchise? Perhaps if some of the main cast had been taken out by the Dinos, then yeah. Anyway, I thought it was one of the better offerings of the franchise. At least a 7 for me.
Fair comment I said I liked the original cast and agree about Dallas.
To be honest I came on to change my score, re-doing scenes from the first film, and there was plenty was on second thoughts well done, especially the Dodgson ones.
One of of the original cast being munched on, Ian Malcolm would have been my choice,I did find him annoying but that's his part.
Your harsh comment is right.

pauldyson1uk

Incantation
Years after she got put into a mental institute, a once cursed women tries to get her life back together and get her daughter back... But the curse has other ideas...

Found footage mockumentary in the vein of Noroi: The Curse... Starts with a bang and ends really well too but in the middle, becomes a little contrived but I felt that was partly because the story loses aim a bit but also because of things lost in translation as I'm not that familiar with Taiwanese culture.

Overall though, the plot is confusing but after you sit, think and dissect... It all actually makes sense. The acting was decent and the narrative was decent and very creepy.

Maybe I'm being a bit lenient because I haven't seen a proper horror in months but yeah I enjoyed it... It's on Netflix so easy access to those who wanna watch it 7/10
Sounds like a decent film,I will add it to my watch list.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Fair comment I said I liked the original cast and agree about Dallas.
To be honest I came on to change my score, re-doing scenes from the first film, and there was plenty was on second thoughts well done, especially the Dodgson ones.
One of of the original cast being munched on, Ian Malcolm would have been my choice,I did find him annoying but that's his part.
Your harsh comment is right.
Yeah I concur, seeing Malcolm's legs dangling between the gnashers of the alpha-predator would have been a very fitting end to the series indeed.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Predator 2 (1990)

Watched this yesterday on Disney+ as a precursor to Prey (yeah, you can just skip everything else in between) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Streaming in 4K Ultra HD/HDR10 is like watching a new movie. The picture looks freakin' great. Far removed from the previous VHS-like quality, I've forgotten just how great this film is....yet another classic from the 90s. For me, it's just as great as the first entry in the franchise and although Danny Glover is the unconventional hero, he does a sterling job facing off against the Predator who as the tagline very cleverly states is in town with a few days to kill.

I loved how there were so many layers to this film with the Colombians vs Jamaicans, the Predator getting in on the action, Glover's clashes with Busey's special Federal team, LAPD vs Predator, the Feds vs Predator all involved in their own mini spats but culminating in an epic last man standing showdown. Upgrading on a new and improved Predator with more hi tech gear and this time thrust in the different heat of the LA City, we see how he navigates this different environment and the bigger threat of the urban jungle.

Action is slick, intense and satisfyingly graphic, especially in HD and is honestly just a great watch from start to finish. Am in the mood for Prey tonight now.

I'm giving this an 8.5/10.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
So I watched prey due to the recommendations and honestly I found it a bit meh.

Had some trouble suspending my disbelief and felt the action gone way to over the top for its own sake.
Although I liked the
nod to the part 2 with the pistol at the end which im assuming is the same as the one in that movie even though it doesn't quite make sense

They seem to be hinting to a sequel so I guess we'll have to wait and see what they do with this.

Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Prey (2022)

Shit.

Women are capable of being super warriors and hunters, we got it.

Lame as lines as in every movie. "If it bleeds, it can be killed"

Native Americans speaking English...

Boring as movie. I haven't watched the previous one from a few years back, but this one was maybe the worst predator movie so far.

4/10

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Prey (2022)

Shit.

Boring as movie. I haven't watched the previous one from a few years back, but this one was maybe the worst predator movie so far.

4/10
I haven't seen it yet so can't comment on the film but there's a fully Comanche dubbed version if you want to go fully in the other direction.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I haven't seen it yet so can't comment on the film but there's a fully Comanche dubbed version if you want to go fully in the other direction.
That sounds interesting, I make sure to get that one if I ever wanted to rewatch it , probably improves the experience.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

Prey (2022)

Shit.

4/10
If they spoke there language we wouldn't understand a fecking thing.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
That sound sinteresting, I make sure to get that one if I ever wanted to rewatch it , probably improves the experience.
The option is available on Hulu and Disney+ now as far as I'm aware! I think my first watch will be that version, it's a historic first.
If they spoke there language we wouldn't understand a fecking thing.
:lol:

buchansleftleg

Prey (2022)
Absolutely loved it. The simple premise worked so well. The main actress does a stunning job as both a believable character and a kick ass hunter.

There's a lot of hidden depth to the story too with scenes involving the buffalo and the historic parallels of invasion and territory in the timeline.

Actually wanted to go back and watch it again....that's not happened in a long time.

It has great nodding references to the original Predator film. And the dog steals every scene its in too.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The Grayman
Hot guy, check.
Hot girl, check.
Explosions, check.
Indian actor for huge eastern Netflix audience, check.

I reckon this was the extend of the creative process behind this movie. Chris Evans was kind of funny I guess?
numbers/10

DeGea’sFeet

Prey 2022 6/10

A good predator movie. I don’t think it’s as good as people are making out, but it is much better than I expected. Definitely a good survival / horror movie.

Funnily enough what the film gets right is the first 45-50 minutes, where it treats the Predator like something new and unknown to the audience. So there’s a slow build up, lots of tension and anticipation think of how the first Jaws slowly introduced the shark before we actually saw it properly in fight mode.

For me, it’s in the latter part where the film goes from an 8/10 (for its genre) to a 6/10. Although many liked this part for the kills. Once the monster is seen, accepted and it’s all combat the predator actually ends up being a bit dumb and pretty weak in 1v1 combat. I understand they couldn’t make it as strong as the Jungle or other preds and no I’m not talking about him being weak because his fighting a lady/girl

Taabe was beating him until he pull off the invisible trick and even the bear got the better of him but then made the mistake of walking off, the wolf got a bite to.

so in the end I think they made the pred too dumb in order to accommodate the time he was in and lack of technology available to the people.

I like how the predator came dressed and with weaponry similar to the Comanche.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Prey was a fairly adequate though utterly predictable weightless violent bog-standard B-movie where the films concept outweighs the films execution.

I would have to say I think the dialogue was one of the major issues I had with the film. Frankly, it was all over the place, especially the use of the occasional contemporary phrases that took me right out of the films setting on more than one occasion.

Acting was generally sub-par or occasionally just outright cartoonish, more so concerning the French voyagers, who's performances wouldn't look out of place from a Zucker brothers sketch.

CGI was fairly middle ground. Some effective work on Predators little gizmos and, later on, facial characteristics but less said about the rendering on the other aspects within the film such as, to be more precise, the grizzly bear and the weightless insipid execution of the films violence.

Overall, a ok film but one that wont live long in the memory.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Benediction

this is a hard movie to talk about, the cinematography is pretty stale but the movie doesn't really rely on it that much, the sentimentality veers on the edge of no man's land and i can't really decide if it's intensely effective (in large part due to the beautiful poems themselves ) or if it heads into self parody of pretentious art house movie cliches.

The only thing I would feel comfortable blasting is some scenes of rather pulpy editing with weird green screen effects that in my opinion diminish the overall impact.

Nowhere did this conflict of opnion became more pronounced than the ending itself where I was left to wonder of the potency of its sentimentality rested on the film's own competence or the sublime poem that accompanied that scene , perhaps my own personal experiences are affecting me in this case and it won't have the same impact on most folk.

I can't give it a score but I recommend watching it.

Wing Attack Plan R

One to watch: Prey 2022 streaming August 5th

Latest addition to the Predator franchise is causing quite a stir. I’ll admit I don’t know if it’s a new form of marketing, but seen clips of audiences standing up and clapping after it watching it. The comments by verified people on Twitter so far have been outstanding, again I don’t know if they are paid off or not. My usual instinct is only trust reviews once a movie is already out.

But I’m optimistic about this, if it’s as good as they say then great will be a great survival horror. If it’s as bad as the worse Predator movie then it’ll still be watchable.
I was hoping this was a movie version of the video game Prey, which is one of the best games I’ve ever played. It would have been awesome.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Lost City
Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum star in a comedy adventure about a writer and get cover model stopping some evil dude who wants to steal an ancient ruin, also featuring Daniel Radcliffe and Brad Pitt. The trailer was excellent and I know the two leads (Bullock and especially Tatum) have comedy chops but the movie was just a bit meh... The cast are the only reason I kept watching but yeah, just kinda forgettable comedy romance movie 5/10

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It somewhat dawned on me last night ,after my little review of the newly released Predator movie PREY, that the titled characters in question are actually really, really sh*t at their job.

Considering, going by the films we've witnessed them in, all the personal advantages they have such as Invisibility, lasers, whist-blades ,knives, nets, ultimate strength and various other little gizmos, they still lose 'the battle' ,usually against mild wit , stick and stones and maybe alittle abit of gun-powder, it really does make you wonder why they have such a rep.

They're just big alien p*ssies.

Gee Male

Where the Crawdads Sing

I've not read the book so my overview is from having absolutely no backstory. I absolutely adored it. The protagonist was cast really well and did a very fine job of building sympathy in her struggles. The setting and portrayal of the city-marshlands of the 1950s and 1960s was beautifully done both in capturing nature and the class, race divide in somewhat subtle ways. The plot itself was not 100% perfect but I was riveted and invested from the start and am not ashamed to say has tears in my eyes at a couple points. Feeling like I need to go read the book now.

The Notebook is not an ideal comparison but what came to mind. Personally I found the Notebook to be just ok though I can understand it's place as a romantic classic. I think Where the Crawdads Sing has enough in it to appeal to a broader audience and personally found it to be much more charming and enjoyable. If anything it's just as much drama as it is a love story. Overall one of favorites of the last few years.

9/10
Also haven't read ghe book, but agree with all of this.

Except for comparisons to The Notebook, which was schmaltzy shite, while this was not.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Prey (2022)

So yeah, I watched this last night on Disney+, having reacquainted myself with Predator 2 the night before. Although part of the Predator franchise, I suppose, you could almost treat this as a standalone project and if you start from that perspective and with an open mind, you may just possibly be able to appreciate this film for what it is. That being said, you will notice the frequent nods to Arnie's original classic even down to the shameless plagiarism of its plot, so many examples to list and spoiler here but if you know, you know.

So, the important and burning question is how good was it? Personally, I thought it was ok but just a tad predictable for the aforementioned reasons above. Cinematography was great, dialogue used sparingly and character depiction generally well done though some of the outside explorers were a little comical. I was happy to see them though as I knew that meant the body count would be high. I couldn't really see the Predator wiping out the whole of Naru's village though there were some casualties, so it was good to see him satisfying his desire to hunt on those pointless nobodies.

Which brings me on to the most confusing part of the film...the Predator himself.

If the events took place over 300 years ago, why was the Predator more advanced in weaponry than in the later films?

How did the Predator get hold of the same gun that the Predator leader gave to Danny Glover in Predator 2?

Probably, the biggest issue with the film was how it tried to reconcile the obvious mismatch in strength and resources between the Comanches and the Predator in order to portray some perception of competition and although it uses some of the concepts seen in the original to balance things out and shift the momentum during the film, you really have to leave that disbelief at the door for 90 plus minutes for it to work. The Predator itself is probably the least imposing of the franchise I've seen and was probably nerfed so as to accommodate the basic plot and short running time.

The film still has its moments but a masterpiece it ain't. A slow burner with a not so climactic climax. Amber Midthunder is very convincing as Naru as are her Comanche counterparts but a one-dimensional Pred is where this film sadly fails. I will watch it again though with the Comanche language version.

I'm giving this a 6/10.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A better idea would've had the Predator dispatched to earth with nothing but his Predator pants and was basically told to fend for himself with no fancy gizmo's.

Would've given some much needed depth and a slightly more refreshing take to the character and the franchise in a nutshell.

Heck, he could've been a slave and the only way he was granted a return was to win a hunt.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
A better idea would've had the Predator dispatched to earth with nothing but his Predator pants and was basically told to fend for himself with no fancy gizmo's.

Would've given some much needed depth and a slightly more refreshing take to the character and the franchise in a nutshell.

Heck, he could've been a slave and the only way he was granted a return was to win a hunt.
Agreed! I was kinda hoping for an Alien 3 vibe, stripping right back to basics. Naru was already facing her 'initiation'. It would have made more sense for the Predator to be doing the same. Like a Predator origins story and what they do to become a proper Predator, having to do their first kill unarmed or something.

That would make a great story.....two warriors from a different background, facing their first test against each other.

DeGea’sFeet

Prey (2022)

So yeah, I watched this last night on Disney+, having reacquainted myself with Predator 2 the night before. Although part of the Predator franchise, I suppose, you could almost treat this as a standalone project and if you start from that perspective and with an open mind, you may just possibly be able to appreciate this film for what it is. That being said, you will notice the frequent nods to Arnie's original classic even down to the shameless plagiarism of its plot, so many examples to list and spoiler here but if you know, you know.

So, the important and burning question is how good was it? Personally, I thought it was ok but just a tad predictable for the aforementioned reasons above. Cinematography was great, dialogue used sparingly and character depiction generally well done though some of the outside explorers were a little comical. I was happy to see them though as I knew that meant the body count would be high. I couldn't really see the Predator wiping out the whole of Naru's village though there were some casualties, so it was good to see him satisfying his desire to hunt on those pointless nobodies.

Which brings me on to the most confusing part of the film...the Predator himself.

If the events took place over 300 years ago, why was the Predator more advanced in weaponry than in the later films?

How did the Predator get hold of the same gun that the Predator leader gave to Danny Glover in Predator 2?

Probably, the biggest issue with the film was how it tried to reconcile the obvious mismatch in strength and resources between the Comanches and the Predator in order to portray some perception of competition and although it uses some of the concepts seen in the original to balance things out and shift the momentum during the film, you really have to leave that disbelief at the door for 90 plus minutes for it to work. The Predator itself is probably the least imposing of the franchise I've seen and was probably nerfed so as to accommodate the basic plot and short running time.

The film still has its moments but a masterpiece it ain't. A slow burner with a not so climactic climax. Amber Midthunder is very convincing as Naru as are her Comanche counterparts but a one-dimensional Pred is where this film sadly fails. I will watch it again though with the Comanche language version.

I'm giving this a 6/10.

The drawings after shows the story of the film…. But with one addition
Predator ships

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Agreed! I was kinda hoping for an Alien 3 vibe, stripping right back to basics. Naru was already facing her 'initiation'. It would have made more sense for the Predator to be doing the same. Like a Predator origins story and what they do to become a proper Predator, having to do their first kill unarmed or something.

That would make a great story.....two warriors from a different background, facing their first test against each other.
Totally agree. There was a fair few more logical and interesting missed opportunities within the film.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The drawings after shows the story of the film…. But with one addition
Predator ships
Yeah, I spotted that but thought that was alluding more to a sequel?