Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So no-one is very impressed with The Gray Man, yet everybody is watching it. Seems like Netflix got that one exactly right.

I watched The Batman on my plane. Not bad, I like some of the music and the use of light, but overall far too ponderous. It's nowhere near as deep or thoughtful or ominous as it often seems to think it is. Pretty good for a superhero movie though. 7/10

Better, too, than Shang-Chi, which I saw separately and is pretty average. Mostly, it's rather unbalanced: funny at the start, then mostly quite serious; the opponent is really a bad guy but then has a reasonable motivation for his actions in the movie, etc. Decent martial arts action though, for a film like this. 5/10

Back on the plane, I liked Belfast better, but I thought it was a bit to sweet and obvious (or: too romanticized). It would have had to be a bit more gritty to really make the context of poverty and The Troubles come out properly. 7/10

I also started watching The Danish Girl (yes, long flight) but stopped it after some 40 min. It just couldn't hold my attention, partly because I just couldn't care about the characters (too cliché'd?), but most likely also because I had been getting tired and listless. ?/10

Earlier, I watched Pixar's Turning Red. It's fun and chaotic in a good way, but ultimately maybe a little too conventional in terms of story/events. It's a great way to talk about growing up as a early teen girl though (or so I'm told, anyway :D ). 7/10

I also got to see De Oost (The East), a Dutch film about Dutch 'police actions' (in reality: forcefully trying to stop independence through army intervention) in Indonesia just after WW2. It starts very strongly, but is too hurried in the second part to finish its story. A good effort though. It's also kinda unfortunate that the film doesn't provide more historical context. That wasn't its goal and it's not a documentary; but given that this is basically the first film about this (shameful!) part of Dutch history (it's also Indonesian history, but the film is told from a Dutch perspective), a bit of contextualization would have been very helpful, both to understand the film better and to shed more light on this period of history (which gets little attention in the Netherlands). 8/10 (if only for the choice of subject matter)

On my outbound flight, I also saw No Time To Die. I like Bond films, so those are easy wins for me. I felt this one strayed a bit far from the template though, creating a relatively gritty and moodie film (including tons of people dying; human life counts for very little here, even Bond and his friends just shoot people that are already on the ground and out), but without the actual edge you'd want to see with that. (Even if Bond does die in the end! That's interesting (how often does that happen to an action film protagonist?), But that can't happen in every film, so it's not a new Bond feature.) So it's a surprising experience, but I'm not sure in a good way. Maybe it's where Bond films need to go to stay relevant and acceptable in the current day though. It will be interesting where they go next when they kinda reboot the series with a new actor. (It would be amazing if it was Lashana Lynch, who is already the new 007 here!) 7/10

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Back on the plane, I liked Belfast better, but I thought it was a bit to sweet and obvious (or: too romanticized). It would have had to be a bit more gritty to really make the context of poverty and The Troubles come out properly. 7/10
I utterly hated it and my wife (who grew up in NI during then troubles) though it was offensively terrible. Hard to believe Branagh has ever visited Belfast much less lived there until he was 9, as it seemed like romanticised bullshit concocted from bits of tales told to him by parents or grandparents. And also a very protestant biased story.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I utterly hated it and my wife (who grew up in NI during then troubles) though it was offensively terrible. Hard to believe Branagh has ever visited Belfast much less lived there until he was 9, as it seemed like romanticised bullshit concocted from bits of tales told to him by parents or grandparents. And also a very protestant biased story.
Yeah, I read that from others also (or maybe that was you as well?), that the film doesn't quite reflect Belfast as it was back then. Never having been there, I have no idea, but I can tell that it's a very sweet version of what seems to have been a pretty bad time. Maybe you have to think of it as being seen through the boy's naive eyes? Although of course the film doesn't actually imply that anywhere.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The Grey Man
Yet another massive key expensive project that looks cheap. Why do these people keep wasting talent and dollars on poor product. It’s an abomination of a film. Some solid fight scenes, Ryan Gosling playing the offspring of MacGyver & John Wick should have been lots of fun. But oh my god it’s got some of the worst cinematography I’ve ever scene. Stupid transition shots. Some flat out horrifying cuts. 4/10

Edit : Whatever dickhead decided to film in Croatia then film at night… needs shooting.
It's shite let's be honest.
What's it all about?
Who's the old man? Who was behind the skullduggery? What even was the skullduggery other than a USB with Frenkie DeJongs real feelings!

Also carmichael is brutally cast. A fecking dreadful actor that's like a stiff Laurence Fishbourne wannabe.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Thor: Love & Thunder

Breezy new Marvel movie where Hemsworth and Watiti combine again. Not as good as Ragnarok and the formula of constant quips is a little tired at this point. Nice twist at the end (ie what Love & Thunder is), and great little role for Crowe. Overall, there’s definitely an element of Marvel fatigue but these self contained stories which have no impact on the larger narrative are a lot better than the content you need to wade through to understand the overarching story.

6/10

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's shite let's be honest.
What's it all about?
Who's the old man? Who was behind the skullduggery? What even was the skullduggery other than a USB with Frenkie DeJongs real feelings!

Also carmichael is brutally cast. A fecking dreadful actor that's like a stiff Laurence Fishbourne wannabe.
Agreed, it was fecking terrible. Netflix can make some good emotional dramas, or at least purchase them once made, but their big marquee projects are always super shite. Red Notice - contemptible atrocious and obnoxious; 6 Underground - a hot Michael Bay mess; The Grey Man - pure shite; The Adam Project - one of the worst films I’ve ever seen; The Irishman - Nostalgic, Scorsese gangster nonsense with geriatric fight scenes. I know I’m forgetting some. Edit: Spiderhead. Just feck off.

But they’ve also given us Beasts of no Nation, Okja, Triple Frontier. Not sure how many of those they made rather than bought in, but they do have the capacity to do good stuff when they want to. I also enjoyed Extraction.

But more often than not, their big budget productions are just a massive waste of money and everyone’s time.

Sweet Square

Everything about bullet train looks awful but I still think David Leitch made a gem of action movie with Atomic Blonde. So holding out some hope it’s just bad marketing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The Grey Man
Yet another massive key expensive project that looks cheap. Why do these people keep wasting talent and dollars on poor product. It’s an abomination of a film. Some solid fight scenes, Ryan Gosling playing the offspring of MacGyver & John Wick should have been lots of fun. But oh my god it’s got some of the worst cinematography I’ve ever scene. Stupid transition shots. Some flat out horrifying cuts. 4/10

Edit : Whatever dickhead decided to film in Croatia then film at night… needs shooting.
Fun fact: That wasn't even in Croatia. They CGI-ed the castle in the middle of Croatian Island, but the castle and the filming is actually in France.

Regarding the movie, it's basically Fast and Furious movie, ridiculous action but even FF movies all have better story.

pauldyson1uk

Le Mans 66

I have been meaning to watch this for a good while , only got round to it tonight.
What a film, right up there with Senna and Rush.
Ken Miles what a driver, life tragically ended doing what he loved.
Christian Bale and Matt Damon best film, but for me Ken',s son stole the show

10/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Le Mans 66

I have been meaning to watch this for a good while , only got round to it tonight.
What a film, right up there with Senna and Rush.
Ken Miles what a driver, life tragically ended doing what he loved.
Christian Bale and Matt Damon best film, but for me Ken',s son stole the show

10/10
Was confused there for a sec, but this is the one that was called Ford vs Ferrari over here! Was indeed a great film.

Anustart89

Thanks to those of you that recommended Boiling Point.

Excellent movie, extremely well made and had me really invested in the characters from the get-go. Easily 9/10.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Boiling Point

Watched this the other day on Netflix and thought it was fecking incredible. It stars Stephen Graham as a head chef of a London restaurant who's very much on edge. And there aren’t many actors out there who can do "on edge" quite like Stephen Graham. Suffice to say, he’s phenomenal.

The movie is filmed in a single, 90-minute take. And yes, this is actually a real single take as opposed to something like Birdman or 1917. And I know something like this can sometimes distract from the movie itself because it's what the movie primarily becomes known for (like those previous films mentioned) but it really does warrant it. As a result of this technique, the movie becomes incredibly intense and you're on the edge of your seat for basically the duration of the film.

Honestly, it’s one of the most intense and thrilling experiences I’ve had in a movie in some time. It’s relentless and exhausting as we effortlessly drift in and out of the lives of the people working at the restaurant. It’s incredibly seamless and unobtrusive how they do it. The one-take “gimmick” never gets in the way but rather compliments the story being told.

Highly recommend it.
You've basically said everything I said when I received this a few months ago... It's sooooo fecking good. So underrated too
Wrath of man was fecking awful.

2/10
That's a shame... The trailer was funny.

Umma
On the longest plane journey known to man and only watched this movie about a mother and daughter who's lives take a dark turn when the grand mother's remains arrive at their house... The overall narrative was quite original and interesting but it felt very by-the-numbers and not scary at all. Was hoping for much better 4/10

Ted Lasso

Where the Crawdads Sing

I've not read the book so my overview is from having absolutely no backstory. I absolutely adored it. The protagonist was cast really well and did a very fine job of building sympathy in her struggles. The setting and portrayal of the city-marshlands of the 1950s and 1960s was beautifully done both in capturing nature and the class, race divide in somewhat subtle ways. The plot itself was not 100% perfect but I was riveted and invested from the start and am not ashamed to say has tears in my eyes at a couple points. Feeling like I need to go read the book now.

The Notebook is not an ideal comparison but what came to mind. Personally I found the Notebook to be just ok though I can understand it's place as a romantic classic. I think Where the Crawdads Sing has enough in it to appeal to a broader audience and personally found it to be much more charming and enjoyable. If anything it's just as much drama as it is a love story. Overall one of favorites of the last few years.

9/10

Last edited:

buchansleftleg

The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Watched this on a streaming service because I had so low an expectation after the terrible second and third films.

Glad I didn't spend any real money on seeing it at the cinema as it's even worse than the other sequals.

I actually was surprised and enjoyed the opening few scenes. The whole "Warner Bros pressuring us to make a follow up to the successful "video game" of The Matrix was a great idea and I hoped it showed them being a bit less up itself....but no we are soon back into more fake philosophy psycho babble.

The second and third films were bad but at least they held your attention, this was just annoying and constantly was shouting... "Look...this scene is just like in the other movie!" And sometimes even then flashing back to that actual movie scene as well!

In fact the only other scene of note was one in such poor taste....
the scene towards the end when the matrix population are "swarming" and throwing themselves out of the window to try and bomb the heroes....just really poor taste. As someone who watched 9/11 happen live on TV and spoke to a few survivors from the twin towers that just made me want to stop watching the film. To be honest I only carried on because there was 20 mins left.
that I only just made it through watching the film.

Suggested plot line for "Matrix V... The Sequal no-one Wants"

The architect hatches a fiendish retro-virus that deletes all the Matrix sequals, leaving the Matrix as the one good film the Wachowskis ever make!

redcucumber

The Matrix Resurrections is one of my most hated films ever. It's a complete abomination.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

Definitely a film of two halves as Marvel continue their puzzling theme of butchering their own characters in this overblown big budget production. Opting for hammed up, campy depictions of erstwhile badass characters, we get the latest entry in the form of Zeus portrayed by Russell Crowe but with some weird accent that they inexplicably opted to go with and screentime totally ruined by terrible dialogue and a campness completely unbefitting the God of the Gods.. I wasn't sure how the Natalie Portman thing was going to work but to be fair she did put in a good shift as Jane Foster/Thor getting some of the best scenes of the movie. Once they get to Eternity though, the movie starts to come in to it's own and it was only at this point that it got really interesting.

As usual the antagonist is given little screen time throughout the movie only appearing at the beginning to establish the plot and at the inevitable showdown with the odd standoff thrown in at various points for good measure. So of course, because of this standard approach we get a character in Gor, the God Butcher that wasn't really able to flex any muscle and ended up just being a bit part really, which was a real shame. He didn't really add any menace or impending dread to the proceedings although Bale did well with what he was given.

Slightly better than The Dark World, but not a patch on Ragnarok, this film is only redeemed by the final act.

I'm giving this a 6/10.

Sweet Square

I'm convinced the Wachowskis have no clue what they're doing and got lucky one time.
The second film has some really great fight and chase scenes but

.Making Neo a unstoppable force(keanu is a nice guy but he can’t carry a film)doesn’t work.

.Putting the focus on the political workings of Zion which is a a grey colourless robotic world is just very boring.

Both these things kill the movie imo. Also Wachowskis made the mistake of trying to make it a trilogy.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Bullet Train - I mean it's pretty fun for the most part but really loses it's way towards the end. Felt like it could really have benefited from having it's buget slashed so they were forced to come up with more interesting set pieces and fight scenes, instead it decends into special effect nonsense. And if you want your characters to have British accents, don't hire Americans, or just let them be American. Also you would have thought they'd be more Japanese people in a film set in Japan. 6/10

MoskvaRed

Bullet Train - I mean it's pretty fun for the most part but really loses it's way towards the end. Felt like it could really have benefited from having it's buget slashed so they were forced to come up with more interesting set pieces and fight scenes, instead it decends into special effect nonsense. And if you want your characters to have British accents, don't hire Americans, or just let them be American. Also you would have thought they'd be more Japanese people in a film set in Japan. 6/10
Watching “Bullet Train””, I thought I’d been transported back to the 90s - a philosophising hitman, West Ham supporting cockney gangsters, “humourous” pop culture references, gore for laughs. What a waste of a budget. 4/10

Wolverine

I quite liked it. Its not perfect but Tarantino-esque with the dialogue, banter and stylised violence with hints of Edgar Wright with the visual humour. Run time wasn't too overlong either. Script was a let down in the last third especially mind.

AaronRedDevil

Just found out that Prey isn’t coming to the cinema, is that true? Would have been good to watch it there.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Watched this on a streaming service because I had so low an expectation after the terrible second and third films.

Glad I didn't spend any real money on seeing it at the cinema as it's even worse than the other sequals.

I actually was surprised and enjoyed the opening few scenes. The whole "Warner Bros pressuring us to make a follow up to the successful "video game" of The Matrix was a great idea and I hoped it showed them being a bit less up itself....but no we are soon back into more fake philosophy psycho babble.

The second and third films were bad but at least they held your attention, this was just annoying and constantly was shouting... "Look...this scene is just like in the other movie!" And sometimes even then flashing back to that actual movie scene as well!

In fact the only other scene of note was one in such poor taste....
the scene towards the end when the matrix population are "swarming" and throwing themselves out of the window to try and bomb the heroes....just really poor taste. As someone who watched 9/11 happen live on TV and spoke to a few survivors from the twin towers that just made me want to stop watching the film. To be honest I only carried on because there was 20 mins left.
that I only just made it through watching the film.

Suggested plot line for "Matrix V... The Sequal no-one Wants"

The architect hatches a fiendish retro-virus that deletes all the Matrix sequals, leaving the Matrix as the one good film the Wachowskis ever make!
It really is an awful film. I didn't like it when I initially watched it, but on reflection, it's even worse. I still can't get over how bad the action sequences were. I genuinely thought there was a problem with the particular screen I was watching it on. Anyway, there were so many issues with that film that I truly believe it was one big troll. Only way to explain it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm convinced the Wachowskis have no clue what they're doing and got lucky one time.
I think I'm one of the few that liked Cloud Atlas.

And if you haven't seen it, Bound is an excellent, excellent movie. They're very skilled filmmakers, but they choose some peculiar projects.

AaronRedDevil

Yep. Pretty sure it's only cinema release was it's premier. Shame as it seems to be getting good reviews.
Damn. Was looking forward to seeing the predator on the big screen again with a good premise. Oh well. Hear its its good at least.

Sweet Square

Damn. Was looking forward to seeing the predator on the big screen again with a good premise. Oh well. Hear its its good at least.
Yeah same. Around 2017 I got the chance to see the original on the big screen and it was brilliant. Still after the last Predator film, I'd take anything that isn't a compete shit show. Also watched Predator 2 recently, still holds up. It's not anywhere near the first movie but Danny Glover is great and LA in a heatwave really as works as a location.

AaronRedDevil

Yeah same. Around 2017 I got the chance to see the original on the big screen and it was brilliant. Still after the last Predator film, I'd take anything that isn't a compete shit show. Also watched Predator 2 recently, still holds up. It's not anywhere near the first movie but Danny Glover is great and LA in a heatwave really as works as a location.
Yeah the first is a damn masterpiece. Really liked the 2nd one aswel. Seems ore brutal.

Superunknown

NOPE - Was pretty good. Better than Us which I expected more from. Go see NOPE now, today!
I'm annoyed for two reasons.

Reason 1: I'm really looking forward to seeing it, but it's not out for another week...for some reason. I swear the original date was July. I was all set last month thinking it would be out in a matter of days, then it dawned on me we still had another month to wait. Meh.

Reason 2: I watched the original trailer for this and have ignored everything since. No previews, no reviews, no impressions, and definitely no further trailers. We've got a matter of weeks to go, so I was feeling pretty good about going into it knowing very little. Went to the cinema last week to watch The Black Phone, and they show a biiiiig trailer for NOPE. Hugely spoilerific, exactly everything I had tried to ignore. Why do cinemas do this?! I was hugely pissed off. I've bought the ticket to see one specific film, so I think it's kinda shitty that they've spoiled another film that I was planning to see without any sort of warning. Sometimes, I wish cinemas would tell you the actual time a film can start so that you can avoid the trailers/spoilers and just watch that one film you paid to see. Meh x 2.

So, I'm looking forward to it, but am a bit annoyed by the whole situation.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hell or high water

I had seen this when it came out and it still holds up to what I thought of it the first time around.
The story felt like something I would read as a child in those pulp collection books and yet it also felt so fresh in its approach , all of the actors put a great shift which is certainly appreciated in these kinds of movies where so much of movies weight is placed upon the relationships between its cast of characters and how they interact , the story is rather terse in its presentation and yet still manages to beautifully conclude each of the main characters arch within its modest run time.

The backdrop of a dying americana which is perhaps embodied in some sense by the main characters is a set up i like to see more in Hollywood (as I've seen it close hand) which Sheridan also seems to appreciate, the movies also manages to present some very old genre tropes in innovative ways which adds to the experiences in my opinion.

I guess if I were to nit pick i could point out to the jarring Indian scene in casino which i get the symbolism of but still felt out of place in such an otherwise grounded movie and how
the waitresses chooses to not snitch even after folk were killed was she that pissed off for them taking her tip?
but otherwise I can't really point out much else, I support the soundtrack could have been better but it certainly does it's job even though I at times felt it got a bit insipid (I still think it's great but nothing that sticks to mind but going by the old proverb of not noticing it, it does its job).

Great movie and in my mind a modern classic and the highpoint of sheridan's career, wish Hollywood created more movies in this vain.

9/10 would recommend

Ladron de redcafe

The Matrix Resurrections is one of my most hated films ever. It's a complete abomination.
Deplorable. I remember the first film in 1999 being almost universally loved. It was different, and the CGI (for that time) was something else.

By 2002 and 2003, when the 2nd one came out with the cliffhanger ending goading people into buying the 3rd for a proper finish, I think many had a less positive reaction. The 3rd film itself was as average as anything can be.

19 years later, they release this atrocity and the only question is...why?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Deplorable. I remember the first film in 1999 being almost universally loved. It was different, and the CGI (for that time) was something else.

By 2002 and 2003, when the 2nd one came out with the cliffhanger ending goading people into buying the 3rd for a proper finish, I think many had a less positive reaction. The 3rd film itself was as average as anything can be.

19 years later, they release this atrocity and the only question is...why?
Matrix should have never gotten a sequel in the first place, i argue the follow ups have actually devalued the original.

Last edited: