Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That’s the only weakness? I’ve seen the first two episodes and thought it was terrible. It’s not the pacing that’s the problem, I love slow burn shows, it’s the crappy dialogue, the poor acting (basically Elvis is a pilot), lack of character development, and the basic “America good, everyone else dumb” schtik, that lets it down. The only interesting thing about it is the historical content and context, and the flight scenes. Without that, it’s got nothing to offer so far.
The snobby English officers were a bit stereotypical but other than that I thought it was great.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Nothing wrong with entertaining popcorn action movies (Armagedddon and The Day After Tommorrow type nonsense), not that I have seen many recently. And I like Miyazaki films as well, Spirited Away in particular, although I haven't watched it in years now.
Oh I wasn't criticising, I was just surprised when I read it :D

Miyazaki films are awesome. All those I've seen so far I've loved.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Kitchen
In a dystopian future London where all social housing has been eliminated, Izi and Benji fight to navigate the world as residents of The Kitchen, a community that refuses to abandon their home. Directed by Daniel Kaluuya and starring Kano along with Arsenal legend Ian Wright for some reason :lol: . A strange film, stuck between mid and high budget. The overall narrative was lacking against the theme and character stories but it was a decent movie with some interesting ideas 5.5/10

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Argylle

It's cool but sometimes ridiculous, fun but sometimes stupid with a good cast and bad CGI.
I liked it and would rate it 7/10, but i can also see quite some people giving it like a 3/10.

CoopersDream

Seen a few movies at GIFF the past week.

The best one yet was Nuri Bilge Ceylan's About Dry Grasses. It's incredible how intruiging it can be to listen to characters talk for more than three hours, but this absolutely captivated me the entire run time. Great acting and fantastic script. Doesn't quite hit the highs of Winter Sleep but it's not far from it. 9/10

Roter Himmel by Christian Petzold was a big positive surprise. Haven't really been sold on the stuff I've seen by him before, but this was engrossing from start to finish. There was a few times I really wanted characters to confront each other, but in the end I think the movie was stronger for not doing so. The last act is really quite teriffic. 8/10

May December
was probably the biggest dissapointment yet. There are moments of greatness in there, but I think it sort of never goes anywhere, at least not where such a story could go. At the same time, Moore and Portman as well as Charles Melton are all great in their parts. Especially towards the end it touches on something more, but doesn't quite reach there. It feels like it could have been a great film, but this was not it. 6/10

Then we have movies like Handling the undead (6/10), Robot Dreams (7/10), Evil Does Not Exist (Not Hamaguchi's best, but still a very well made and enjoyable film, 8/10) and The Peasants (Beautifully made, but at the same time if you're gonna paint close to the real deal, why not just use the actual thing? 6/10). Unfortunately, I missed The Zone of Interest but that's coming to the cinema soon anyway.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
One star in the guardian.
I feel thats a bit harsh, imdb.com has it on 6.4 currently, i think it will settle at a low 6.x.

But i mean, it's a movie by Matthew Vaughn, the director of Kick-Ass and the Kingsman movies. If you don't like sometimes stupidly over the top movies, this one isn't for you.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Seen a few movies at GIFF the past week.

The best one yet was Nuri Bilge Ceylan's About Dry Grasses. It's incredible how intruiging it can be to listen to characters talk for more than three hours, but this absolutely captivated me the entire run time. Great acting and fantastic script. Doesn't quite hit the highs of Winter Sleep but it's not far from it. 9/10

Roter Himmel by Christian Petzold was a big positive surprise. Haven't really been sold on the stuff I've seen by him before, but this was engrossing from start to finish. There was a few times I really wanted characters to confront each other, but in the end I think the movie was stronger for not doing so. The last act is really quite teriffic. 8/10

May December was probably the biggest dissapointment yet. There are moments of greatness in there, but I think it sort of never goes anywhere, at least not where such a story could go. At the same time, Moore and Portman as well as Charles Melton are all great in their parts. Especially towards the end it touches on something more, but doesn't quite reach there. It feels like it could have been a great film, but this was not it. 6/10

Then we have movies like Handling the undead (6/10), Robot Dreams (7/10), Evil Does Not Exist (Not Hamaguchi's best, but still a very well made and enjoyable film, 8/10) and The Peasants (Beautifully made, but at the same time if you're gonna paint close to the real deal, why not just use the actual thing? 6/10). Unfortunately, I missed The Zone of Interest but that's coming to the cinema soon anyway.
Sorry, but which one is GIFF? Geneva?

Wing Attack Plan R

I feel thats a bit harsh, imdb.com has it on 6.4 currently, i think it will settle at a low 6.x.

But i mean, it's a movie by Matthew Vaughn, the director of Kick-Ass and the Kingsman movies. If you don't like sometimes stupidly over the top movies, this one isn't for you.
I liked 75% of Kick Ass, thought Kick Ass 2 was awful, and couldn't get through a single Kingsman. Matt Vaughn has disappeared up his own jacksie. His work is just as dumb now as Timur Bekmambetov.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Brilliant video on CGI in moves

I've watched the first two minutes, and so far he's complained about CGI not being the magic of the movies (as if film makers of the past didn't use it out of principle) and about Barbie's makers lying about not using CGI (which doesn't mean it's bad when they did).

Does it get better later on?

Sweet Square

Does it get better later on?
Yep. The first few minutes is him just putting forward the dumb arguments he’s heard from others about how modern CGI is “destroying”movies.

He goes on to praise Barbie use of CGI and says it’s a shame the studios are trying to hide the fact they used things like blue screens.

Last edited:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Once it's pointed out it's a matte painting it seems quite obvious but some are incredibly realistic. Amazing stuff.

Atheist

Watched American Fiction. Warm, funny and pokes fun at various stereotypes about Black people in America. Great performances all around although it does get bogged down a bit in the middle. 7.5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yep. The first few minutes is him just putting forward the dumb arguments he’s heard from others about how modern CGI is “destroying”movies.

He goes on to praise Barbie use of CGI and says it’s a shame the studios are trying to hide the fact they used things like blue screens.
Yeah, I watched it all now. The bit in the middle about the history of matte paintings and other visual effects (or whatever the term is) was interesting - but I skipped through the Oppenheimer part.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Absolutely loved Wonka.

Chalamet holds his own amongst the some of the UK's finest comedy performers, the songs are buckets of fun, the visuals suit Dahl's world perfectly and the script is razor sharp. I didn't recognise the name Paul King during the credits, but, after discovering he directed Darkplace, The Mighty Boosh and the Paddington movies, it all made sense.

Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Barbie

I really wanted to like this just based on the fact that so many awful people have been vocal about their hate. But... It's very mediocre. Most of the jokes aren't funny or clever and the message is ham-fisted. I still don't know who this film primarily is meant for? If it's meant as a simple kids film with a good-hearted message then I guess it's fine.

Ken was the highlight, but that stupid song of his has been stuck in my head for two days now. It will never leave!!!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I rewatched Heat this weekend with a friend who had never seen it, and yeah it's pretty much perfect. The plot is airtight from start to finish, the performances are strong, the heist scenes are really well put together and have proper tension even when you know how it all pans out, and it has the righ mix of action and meandering to make it wonderfully enjoyable. My mate who hadn't seen it was really impressed with it and said "they really made good films in the 90s". I've tried to introduce him to the Church of Mann @Sweet Square but we'll see how it goes - he hasn't seen any of Mann's films! I feel like Collateral would be a good way to carry on easing him in, before jumping into the more esoteric stuff.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I rewatched Heat this weekend with a friend who had never seen it, and yeah it's pretty much perfect. The plot is airtight from start to finish, the performances are strong, the heist scenes are really well put together and have proper tension even when you know how it all pans out, and it has the righ mix of action and meandering to make it wonderfully enjoyable. My mate who hadn't seen it was really impressed with it and said "they really made good films in the 90s". I've tried to introduce him to the Church of Mann @Sweet Square but we'll see how it goes - he hasn't seen any of Mann's films! I feel like Collateral would be a good way to carry on easing him in, before jumping into the more esoteric stuff.
My only issue how easily Waingro escaped from them. Bunch of professional criminals walk him outside and a slight distraction is enough for him to disappear. It's a weak moment in an otherwise magnificent movie.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
My only issue how easily Waingro escaped from them. Bunch of professional criminals walk him outside and a slight distraction is enough for him to disappear. It's a weak moment in an otherwise magnificent movie.
I'd have to agree with this. It's the nother of all nitpicks but there is genuinely nothing else to complain about.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Night Swim
A family move into a house that has a haunted swimming pool. Some ideas are original and haven't ever been done before... and should stay that way. One tense moment aside, this had absolutely nothing 2/10

Lift

A group of con-artists are tasked to steal gold from a dangerous mob on a moving plane. Firstly, horribly miscast with Kevin Hart being the lead in an action heist movie (and I'm usually a fan of him). It's not funny (except one comedic moment), the action is poor and the heist isn't clever. I don't see the point of this movie 2/10

Sweet Square

I've tried to introduce him to the Church of Mann @Sweet Square but we'll see how it goes - he hasn't seen any of Mann's films! I feel like Collateral would be a good way to carry on easing him in, before jumping into the more esoteric stuff.
Yep would agree with Collateral. Has a lot more of a traditional story structure and Cruise is just so good as a bad guy. I did rewatch Thief last week and I wouldn’t rule it out. It’s got that late 70’s slow vibe which could put your friend off but it’s soooo perfect.

Rocky 4 and Predator are two of the greatest films ever made. Sure not exactly Ran. But they're fantastic entertainment. And oozing in machismo. So 80s. But still cool as feck.

RIP. Loved his Muhammed Ali like Apollo.
Yep that’s a unique skill in itself. I can’t only really think of Miller with the new Mad Max that has been great meaningful action.

Wing Attack Plan R

Yep would agree with Collateral. Has a lot more of a traditional story structure and Cruise is just so good as a bad guy. I did rewatch Thief last week and I wouldn’t rule it out. It’s got that late 70’s slow vibe which could put your friend off but it’s soooo perfect.

Yep that’s a unique skill in itself. I can’t only really think of Miller with the new Mad Max that has been great meaningful action.
*The Raid has entered the chat*

Unam333

Absolutely loved Wonka.

Chalamet holds his own amongst the some of the UK's finest comedy performers, the songs are buckets of fun, the visuals suit Dahl's world perfectly and the script is razor sharp. I didn't recognise the name Paul King during the credits, but, after discovering he directed Darkplace, The Mighty Boosh and the Paddington movies, it all made sense.

Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Yup, fantastic kids movie. The songs are so catchy and when we are in the car my kids always want to listen to the Wonka songs.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Yup, fantastic kids movie. The songs are so catchy and when we are in the car my kids always want to listen to the Wonka songs.
Scrub, scrub! I'm a little surprised it didn't get any love from the Oscars in that respect.