Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
*The Raid has entered the chat*
While I do like The Raid a lot and have seen it a million times, I’ve always viewed it as a string of really incredibly action scenes rather than saying anything meaningful ? I could easily just be missing the film larger points because it’s a Indonesian film and I have no knowledge on Indonesian society.

Fury Road though has a ton of different subject matters from feminism, climate change, pitfalls of nostalgia and even bits of Hegel.

Tbh I would even argue that The Raid is overall a far better film than Rocky 4 but I find Rocky more interesting. The only other modern action film I can think of which fits the Fury Road model is Atomic Blonde which by pure accident is a great action film which destroys the spy myth.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Place beyond the Pines: A 2012 drama by Derek Cianfrance featuring Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. I'm not sure how much I can say about this without giving too much away (I know most reviews basically lay out the entire plot, but I was blissfully unaware and was very surprised by the film's narrative switches), but basically, Gosling is a stunt racer that discovers he has a son in some random town in New York State (Schenectady, which is Mohawk for the movie's title) and decides to stick around, while Cooper is a cop - and I'll leave it at that.

As I said, I didn't know what would happen, and that made certainly the first half really interesting.
I mean, I actually thought this was a Gosling film and wasn't even aware Cooper was also in it. Go figure! But so I thought it was really cool that Gosling's dies after about 30 min, and we switch to Cooper's cop having to live with killing someone who had a baby son same age as his own. I have been thinking before that it would be interesting if a film would follow a thematic thread rather than characters, with main characters changing completely as the story develops - and I started hoping that's what we might have here. But of course, that's not it, we follow Cooper for the next hour or so, and then their two characters' sons as late teens for the final 20 min.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept to follow consequences through across people and generations this way, but I thought it did not come off that well. The Cooper segment became too long and lost its interest, and the whole setup of the sons' bit (there situations in life) felt too coincidental to really make the concept really work. (And yes, I know all plots depend on coincidences, otherwise there's no story or drama.) Some pieces are also rather underdeveloped, like Eva Mendes and Mahershala Ali's characters. I definitely wouldn't call the film bad though. I appreciate the attempt at this concept, I thought the film held its mood/atmosphere really well, Gosling and Cooper are both good here, and there is some nice camerawork (especially the opening sequence).
So I think I'd have this down as an ambitious film (in a good way) that kinda overreaches but is nonetheless quite worth the watch. 3/5

Wing Attack Plan R

While I do like The Raid a lot and have seen it a million times, I’ve always viewed it as a string of really incredibly action scenes rather than saying anything meaningful ? I could easily just be missing the film larger points because it’s a Indonesian film and I have no knowledge on Indonesian society.

Fury Road though has a ton of different subject matters from feminism, climate change, pitfalls of nostalgia and even bits of Hegel.

Tbh I would even argue that The Raid is overall a far better film than Rocky 4 but I find Rocky more interesting. The only other modern action film I can think of which fits the Fury Road model is Atomic Blonde which by pure accident is a great action film which destroys the spy myth.
Interesting points. I’m not sure I’ve seen Rocky 4, but your observation on The Raid sounds right.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Place beyond the Pines: A 2012 drama by Derek Cianfrance featuring Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. I'm not sure how much I can say about this without giving too much away (I know most reviews basically lay out the entire plot, but I was blissfully unaware and was very surprised by the film's narrative switches), but basically, Gosling is a stunt racer that discovers he has a son in some random town in New York State (Schenectady, which is Mohawk for the movie's title) and decides to stick around, while Cooper is a cop - and I'll leave it at that.

As I said, I didn't know what would happen, and that made certainly the first half really interesting.
I mean, I actually thought this was a Gosling film and wasn't even aware Cooper was also in it. Go figure! But so I thought it was really cool that Gosling's dies after about 30 min, and we switch to Cooper's cop having to live with killing someone who had a baby son same age as his own. I have been thinking before that it would be interesting if a film would follow a thematic thread rather than characters, with main characters changing completely as the story develops - and I started hoping that's what we might have here. But of course, that's not it, we follow Cooper for the next hour or so, and then their two characters' sons as late teens for the final 20 min.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept to follow consequences through across people and generations this way, but I thought it did not come off that well. The Cooper segment became too long and lost its interest, and the whole setup of the sons' bit (there situations in life) felt too coincidental to really make the concept really work. (And yes, I know all plots depend on coincidences, otherwise there's no story or drama.) Some pieces are also rather underdeveloped, like Eva Mendes and Mahershala Ali's characters. I definitely wouldn't call the film bad though. I appreciate the attempt at this concept, I thought the film held its mood/atmosphere really well, Gosling and Cooper are both good here, and there is some nice camerawork (especially the opening sequence).
So I think I'd have this down as an ambitious film (in a good way) that kinda overreaches but is nonetheless quite worth the watch. 3/5
That was the general consensus when this came out. The filmmakers get credit for ambition and unpredictability, but the character of Luke was so much more interesting and charismatic than anyone else, and his story so much more captivating, that there was a huge void left when he dies that the film never recovers from. It didn't help that at the time Gosling had just come off the back of Drive and was in his ascendancy. He was marketed as the star and was certainly the reason my friends and I checked out the movie, so for him to exit so swiftly was deflating. I enjoyed it more during a rewatch years later.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That was the general consensus when this came out. The filmmakers get credit for ambition and unpredictability, but the character of Luke was so much more interesting and charismatic than anyone else, and his story so much more captivating, that there was a huge void left when he dies that the film never recovers from. It didn't help that at the time Gosling had just come off the back of Drive and was in his ascendancy. He was marketed as the star and was certainly the reason my friends and I checked out the movie, so for him to exit so swiftly was deflating. I enjoyed it more during a rewatch years later.
Yeah, I read some reviews on the film's Wiki page and on here - that probably actually helped me phrase my perception of the film.

I don't actually mind Cooper's character, and as I said... well, I'll spoiler that again.
As I said, I like the idea of switching the narrative focus. For me, it's rather that the first hour or so (the Gosling part and the first bit of Cooper's part) has a brisk pace, with developments happening constantly to interesting characters. But then the film becomes considerably more stale, as the 'faithful events' start piling up and Cooper's character becomes more boring. The two sons are also fairly lame stereotypes of bored youth.

What actually bothered me in particular about that, is that Mahershala Ali's character seems to be a really good guy. There is no good explanation in my mind for why his son would be so lost, and derail so quickly through his interactions with Cooper's son. Sure, I can think of reasons, but it's not the most straightforward course of events to me.
Anyway, I don't just want to talk the film down, it's not like it's a trainwreck - it's just the most obvious thing to bring up once you've seen it all the way through I guess!

Speaking of trainwrecks, I also saw Salir del ropero / Coming out of the Wardrobe / So My Grandma's a Lesbian (so many titles) on Netflix. It's a comedy about two grandmas that decide to get married and need to tell their children and further families they are actually lesbians. The trailer looked somewhat fun, but it's so bad it's unbelievable. Tired tropes, poor acting, poor lines, poor editing - absolutely nothing works. 0/5

There, that's actually a film that deserves to be destroyed in reviews. But it's also so bad that it doesn't deserve the time, so I guess not 'there' after all.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Finally got around to watching Rebel Moon.
What a wasted opportunity. Seems like the world and story has a lot of potential but it mostly falls flat. Despite the attempts at world building the world still feels very small and I cared very little for the majority of the characters. Visuals are great and most of the actors seem to do the best with what they are given, but that's about it. I'll watch the sequel since I started the story but despite not being familiar with the books - to me it's clear this should have been at least a trilogy to allow for more stage setting.

Wing Attack Plan R

Yeah, I read some reviews on the film's Wiki page and on here - that probably actually helped me phrase my perception of the film.

I don't actually mind Cooper's character, and as I said... well, I'll spoiler that again.
As I said, I like the idea of switching the narrative focus. For me, it's rather that the first hour or so (the Gosling part and the first bit of Cooper's part) has a brisk pace, with developments happening constantly to interesting characters. But then the film becomes considerably more stale, as the 'faithful events' start piling up and Cooper's character becomes more boring. The two sons are also fairly lame stereotypes of bored youth.

What actually bothered me in particular about that, is that Mahershala Ali's character seems to be a really good guy. There is no good explanation in my mind for why his son would be so lost, and derail so quickly through his interactions with Cooper's son. Sure, I can think of reasons, but it's not the most straightforward course of events to me.
Anyway, I don't just want to talk the film down, it's not like it's a trainwreck - it's just the most obvious thing to bring up once you've seen it all the way through I guess!

Speaking of trainwrecks, I also saw Salir del ropero / Coming out of the Wardrobe / So My Grandma's a Lesbian (so many titles) on Netflix. It's a comedy about two grandmas that decide to get married and need to tell their children and further families they are actually lesbians. The trailer looked somewhat fun, but it's so bad it's unbelievable. Tired tropes, poor acting, poor lines, poor editing - absolutely nothing works. 0/5

There, that's actually a film that deserves to be destroyed in reviews. But it's also so bad that it doesn't deserve the time, so I guess not 'there' after all.
Agree with both of you. It’s one of those movies that gets more interesting the further you get from having watched it. The disappointment when Gosling exits is palpable, and he takes the exciting energy with him. Then it becomes a completely different film. Narratively it’s a mess, but once the shock wears off, it’s actually a great film. It’s kinda like being served the wrong meal at a restaurant, and you end up enjoying the new dish even if it’s radically different from what you ordered.

Wing Attack Plan R

Finally got around to watching Rebel Moon.
What a wasted opportunity. Seems like the world and story has a lot of potential but it mostly falls flat. Despite the attempts at world building the world still feels very small and I cared very little for the majority of the characters. Visuals are great and most of the actors seem to do the best with what they are given, but that's about it. I'll watch the sequel since I started the story but despite not being familiar with the books - to me it's clear this should have been at least a trilogy to allow for more stage setting.
Books?!

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Interesting points. I’m not sure I’ve seen Rocky 4, but your observation on The Raid sounds right.
Rocky 4 is a gigantic beautiful Cold War mess. It flips decades long American narrative on the Cold War. The Americans(Rocky)become the poor villager with their backwards economic system and the Soviets(Drago) are now the economic powerhouse with futuristic technology.

It’s strange but interesting(Tbh I could also be mistaking Dolph Lundgren oil covered muscles pumping iron to the Soviet Flag as depth).

Also it’s a beautiful shot film.

Spoony

The People's President
Rocky 4 is a gigantic beautiful Cold War mess. It flips decades long American narrative on the Cold War. The Americans(Rocky)become the poor villager with their backwards economic system and the Soviets(Drago) are now the economic powerhouse with futuristic technology.

It’s strange but interesting(Tbh I could also be mistaking Dolph Lundgren oil covered muscles pumping iron to the Soviet Flag as depth).

Also it’s a beautiful shot film.

It's 1980s cold war. Awfully jingoistic but it was the time. It works because it's David Vs Goliath. 'Us against them'. A adrenaline enducing soundtrack, cracking one liners and it contains brilliant Stallone training montages. What is there not to like? I can even forgive Rocky's heartwarming speech.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
It's 1980s cold war. Awfully jingoistic but it was the time. It works because it's David Vs Goliath. 'Us against them'.
Yep the nationalism along with David Vs Goliath creates a bizarre setting where the Soviet Union clearly looks like the better and more advanced society. They so much cool tech compared to the Americans

Adrenaline enduring soundtrack, cracking one liners and it contains brilliant Stallone training montages.
It might be the best training montage in the series. It’s has that great 80’s mix of over the top silliness, body building fixation but also guitar riff with synths. The film has no self awareness which makes it great to watch.

Also imo the director cut is maybe the better version as it gets rid of the terrible Robot scenes.

Spoony

The People's President
Yep the nationalism along with David Vs Goliath creates a bizarre setting where the Soviet Union clearly looks like the better and more advanced society. They so much cool tech compared to the Americans

It might be the best training montage in the series. It’s has that great 80’s mix of over the top silliness, body building fixation but also guitar riff with synths. The film has no self awareness which makes it great to watch.

Also imo the director cut is maybe the better version as it gets rid of the terrible Robot scenes.
Yeah I suspect no one really knew conditions in the old USSR. But there were always rumours that the East were doping. So perhaps a modern USSR was just an extension of the public's perception...perhaps they forgot it was the land of Ladas and beetroot
But yeah good old America eh. Land of the free...winning against all odds.

And hey the robot was 80s ultra modern tech. Probably!

Unam333

The Marvels

I really liked the movie. Sure, the enemy was poor (again), but Marvel Studios has a history of having underwelming enemies. To be honest, all the laughs and giggles during fights was a bit too much. I mean, hello, you could die during fights you know. There is a time and place to joke around, but not during fights please. Also the astral switching got a bit out of hand and got me confused multiple times.

I liked the three buddies dynamic, it made Carol Denvers more approachable, relatable, funny and more "human". I think the best parts of the movie were them hanging around doing goofy things and just talking about random stuff.

Hopefully we will see Brie Larson in another Captain Marvel movie or at least in the next Avengers movie, but I saw a video clip where she's unsure if she will be back as Captain Marvel. A real shame, because I like her personality and she's a very talented actress.
Both Captain Marvel standalone movies scripts were a bit messy and weak.

For Captain Marvel 3 I want a bad guy who poses a Thanos threat to her or at least matches her strength. Let her fear an enemy for once.
I find it strange that a superhero protagonist this powerful is fighting meek Kree leaders.
We need a proper, kickass, not too complicated, the universe-is-at-stake-for-realsies Captain Marvel movie.

8 out of 10

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Yeah I suspect no one really knew conditions in the old USSR. But there were always rumours that the East were doping. So perhaps a modern USSR was just an extension of the public's perception...perhaps they forgot it was the land of Ladas and beetroot
The doping scenes are so strange as your right that it’s definitely playing into the rumours at the time yet it’s sort of dropped completely by the end. Rocky seems to forget a doped up Drago killed his best boxing friend.

Rocky end speech is more like - “I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can forget you killed my friend, and you can forget, everybody can forget!".

A beautiful message really.
:lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

The Marvels

I really liked the movie. Sure, the enemy was poor (again), but Marvel Studios has a history of having underwelming enemies. To be honest, all the laughs and giggles during fights was a bit too much. I mean, hello, you could die during fights you know. There is a time and place to joke around, but not during fights please. Also the astral switching got a bit out of hand and got me confused multiple times.

I liked the three buddies dynamic, it made Carol Denvers more approachable, relatable, funny and more "human". I think the best parts of the movie were them hanging around doing goofy things and just talking about random stuff.

Hopefully we will see Brie Larson in another Captain Marvel movie or at least in the next Avengers movie, but I saw a video clip where she's unsure if she will be back as Captain Marvel. A real shame, because I like her personality and she's a very talented actress.
Both Captain Marvel standalone movies scripts were a bit messy and weak.

For Captain Marvel 3 I want a bad guy who poses a Thanos threat to her or at least matches her strength. Let her fear an enemy for once.
I find it strange that a superhero protagonist this powerful is fighting meek Kree leaders.
We need a proper, kickass, not too complicated, the universe-is-at-stake-for-realsies Captain Marvel movie.

8 out of 10
You are Brie Larson and I claim my £5.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Robot? WTF? Is that a real thing?

I never watched Rocky 4 as I was well over Rocky films by then. The final fight in Rocky 3 was so dumb I couldn't put myself through another one.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Robot? WTF? Is that a real thing?

I never watche3lKWGr5HDD18QdxOxTbkJYnKzArsRe8eKSZblyGvzsVI8ehiimWhPD9naoZHy2RgGDHQEHaw9JpMPgwo8Yop0vMnjKVklSsZyKZVDK7evnKtfDow7yD9+UUUUpnDInsqBHNY7gERRSAZisEt7qbeBg2sltL3JiigWqwRvhlH8IKny1I+vugKomtvd Rocky 4 as I was well over Rocky films by then. The final fight in Rocky 3 was so dumb I couldn't put myself through another one.
He had a robot pal yeah. Still miles ahead of any current technology let's be honest.

redcucumber

Colin Farrell can swivel. He's forever furrowing his brow and doing a confused expression of incredulity. Also disliked how dull and under egged his Penguin iteration was, although that's obviously on the writers.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Colin Farrell can swivel. He's forever furrowing his brow and doing a confused expression of incredulity. Also disliked how dull and under egged his Penguin iteration was, although that's obviously on the writers.
I haven’t seen The Batman film but I think Farrell is great. Miami Vice and In Bruges are two best films in the 21st century. The Lobster and lot of his work afterwards is brilliant.

Have you seen Pachinko? Kogonada directed half of the first season's episodes. Fantastic show.
Oh I haven’t. I didn’t know about the show or that Kogonada directed some episodes. Looks interesting.Thanks.

redcucumber

I haven’t seen The Batman film but I think Farrell is great. Miami Vice and In Bruges are two best films in the 21st century. The Lobster and lot of his work afterwards is brilliant.

Oh I haven’t. I didn’t know about the show or that Kogonada directed some episodes. Looks interesting.Thanks.
He plays the same sort of role in In Bruges and The Lobster! The loveable idiot with that goddamned furrowed brow. For some insane reason I haven't gotten around to watching Miami Vice yet. I actually really don't like The Lobster, though. Watched it for the second time yesterday to see if uni me's opinion was wrong but he was totally right. It was well put together and looks great and I loved the world in which it's set but feel it fizzles out and sort of meanders along to nowhere once he leaves the hotel. Also didn't like their weird deadpan on-the-spectrum delivery - I think it was supposed to be funny but it didn't do much for me. I know people like it though and I can see why.

Farrell is actually wicked in Minority Report and he's also fun in Phone Booth - he plays a different type of character in those which I preferred. The sleazy rogue.

Unam333

Night Swim
A family move into a house that has a haunted swimming pool. Some ideas are original and haven't ever been done before... and should stay that way. One tense moment aside, this had absolutely nothing 2/10

Lift

A group of con-artists are tasked to steal gold from a dangerous mob on a moving plane. Firstly, horribly miscast with Kevin Hart being the lead in an action heist movie (and I'm usually a fan of him). It's not funny (except one comedic moment), the action is poor and the heist isn't clever. I don't see the point of this movie 2/10

For a horror movie it wasn't too bad. I've seen a lot worse. I actually enjoyed it.
The idea of a wishing well was kinda original and when that black goo came out of eyes and nose of the thin, sickly Japanese lady it looked pretty ghoulish.

I liked all family members. The main character reminds me of baseball playing Harry Kane. What actually happened to the boyfriend Ronin? Did he get swallowed up by the pool?

7 out of 10

redcucumber

Just watched Blood Simple for the first time. Holy shmokes what a stone cold banger. M Emmett Walsh in that canary yellow suit and cowboy hat is instantly one of my favourite ever villains. Also one of my favvy Coen bros. 4.5/5 cocks up

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Short Term 12

Expertly crafted little indie film about a home for neglected and abused kids and the adults that supervise them, some of whom are equally as scarred.

Features relatively early turns from Brie Larson and Rami Malek, but the standout performance is Lakeith Stanfield in his film debut. Both he and Larson are able to convey so much with a look. (Who knew LS could spit bars?)

This is also a perfect example of a film that doesn't waste a single second of its brisk runtime (97mins). It's so rare to genuinely give a shit about every single character, no matter how brief their appearance.

The director (Destin Daniel Cretton) recently got swept up by Marvel to direct Shang-Chi - hopefully his next film is a return to this kind of story: intimate, human and filled with heart. (He's also involved with Tokyo Vice in an executive producing capacity, so I'll be checking that out next.)

Highly recommended! 9/10

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Saltburn It looks great despite the annoying aspect ratio. The performances were also generally terrific, despite some of the "teenagers" being far too old for the roles. The gross out parts that always get mentioned will be a matter of taste see what I did there. I found the first one in particular hilariously disgusting (my wife did not like the first one in particular) but none of them really made the film better. The ending dragged a bit but overall a decent watch. 8/10

Wing Attack Plan R

American Fiction
Very funny, well-written, great characters, fun story. I don’t know why it’s up for Best Picture, as it’s not heavy enough. It’s a good comedy. Good family scenes, his brother and sister are great. Laughed out loud at least 10 times.

Jeffrey Wright plays a cerebral writer of quality books no one reads. He gets incensed at a very “ghetto” book that is a big hit because the subject matter is what white publishers and readers want. So he writes a similar book as a joke and it becomes a huge hit.

It’s interesting that his family in this are doctors and he’s a professor, and they don’t resort to the cliche stereotypes that the character despises. There are a couple scene-within-a-scenes where actors are acting all gangsta and then step out of those cliches to ask questions. It’s an indictment of Hollywood and publishing.

8/10

Last edited:

TheGame

Let us know what you think if you check it out, it hasn't received much love on the Caf. Just @TheGame and I flying the flag!
Got to watch it @Sweet Square. One of the best shows I’ve seen in terms of storytelling and only saw it thanks to @Salt Bailly ‘s recommendation. Ended up reading about the Japanese occupation of Korea afterwards as well.

icehole

American Fiction
It’s an indictment of Hollywood and publishing.

8/10
I'll go 8.5/10 but I've got the uncomfortable feeling that the joke is on me. On the obvious level, yes, it's sending up publishing and Hollywood. But I can't shake the feeling that the presentation is itself silently mocking a different demographic as the vehicle - the Bill Maher type that was sold on the virtues of a color blind America. Yes, I'm overthinking it.

Wing Attack Plan R

I'll go 8.5/10 but I've got the uncomfortable feeling that the joke is on me. On the obvious level, yes, it's sending up publishing and Hollywood. But I can't shake the feeling that the presentation is itself silently mocking a different demographic as the vehicle - the Bill Maher type that was sold on the virtues of a color blind America. Yes, I'm overthinking it.
You might be right. Not sure I would sit through it again but I bet someone could make the case it’s actually satirizing the people who would be appalled by My Pafology.

TheReligion

Abusive
Accused

So with a run time of 1:30 it’s okay for a one off watch. There’s nothing here you’d be coming back to, and there’s plenty of plot holes, but the acting is fine as is the direction (Philip Barantini, Boiling Point).

The story highlights the toxicity of social media brilliantly after an innocent passer by is wrongly linked to terrorist attack in London based on some online sleuthing.

What unfolds next does become quite anxiety inducing, then again that does seem to be Barantini’s specialty, and will have you shouting instructions at the TV and waiting for a jump scare.

If you can look past the plot holes, and are looking to kill an hour and a half, it’s worth a watch.

6/10