Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wing Attack Plan R

+1

For me, as unwatchable as Ted Lasso.
I guess if you find robots annoying then you probably wouldn't like T2 that much. Although not every single character in T2 is so despicable and annoying that you wish they would die or go away as fast as possible, and doesn't have Adam Sandler in it. So not a perfect analogy :)
You both need to report to detention, stat.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Let me see if I understand this: you hate one of the most brilliant movies ever made, and you like one of the most saccharine, insipid TV shows ever made?
*sounds of body hitting the floor after fainting*
Ted Lasso was great light entertainment, and did really well keeping away from the actual football (as that would have been a disaster). Not the best thing ever made and declined slightly from season 1 but an easy watch that just avoided been saccharine, by actually managing to be charming at times (not all times of course).

And is Gems now meant to be brilliant? It was just horrible characters shouting at each other. The Bear was in danger of doing that but balanced the stress by making you not hate everyone with some episodes reducing the stress of watching.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There’s still hope for Calodo, at least he recognizes the cringefest that is Ted Lasso. We can try to rebuild him. But I think you might be beyond the ability of science to fix. Ted fecking Lasso!
I also HATE Kubrick with a passion. The emotional capacity of a brick.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ted Lasso was great light entertainment, and did really well keeping away from the actual football (as that would have been a disaster). Not the best thing ever made and declined slightly from season 1 but an easy watch that just avoided been saccharine, by actually managing to be charming at times (not all times of course).

And is Gems now meant to be brilliant? It was just horrible characters shouting at each other. The Bear was in danger of doing that but balanced the stress by making you not hate everyone with some episodes reducing the stress of watching.
Oh Wibs… Ted Lassoo is horrible. And Uncut Gems is fantastic. How could you watch a whole season of Ted Lassoo and only 30 minutes of Uncut Gems? What’s wrong with you, man?!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Oh Wibs… Ted Lassoo is horrible. And Uncut Gems is fantastic. How could you watch a whole season of Ted Lassoo and only 30 minutes of Uncut Gems? What’s wrong with you, man?!
Ted Lasso is cheesy light entertainment to fill 30 mins between work and sleep. I don't watch films during the week as I start work (reluctantly) at 6am. Uncut Gems is a tool of torture. Far worse than waterboarding.

I have no interest in watching something that I care zero about any character as they are all totally unredeemable cnuts and shouty stressful cnuts at that. There is no end, other than they all die painfully, that could be satisfying or interesting. And then that could have happened in the first 10 mins

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ted Lasso is genuinely really, really bad. There's no redeeming features about it - well except maybe Juno Temple.
Yet so many people loved it. Even those who also love arty films. It was quite funny with a bit of heart, even if a bit cheesy.

RORY65

Was Ted Lasoo released during lockdown? When everyone went a bit mad? Only explanation I can think of for otherwise sensible people falling for it. It’s so bad.
It was, August 2020. A time where people were watching any old shit that was available and wanted something that was "nice".

redcucumber

I found it just annoying and unwatchable. Everyone was so unlikeable I hoped they all died as soon as possible. Sandler even more than usual. Then turned it off 20 or 30 mins in.
I thought Good Time was better. But like Uncut Gems it contains unlikeable shitheads, so maybe also not your thing.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm team Wibble here. Well, I have never seen Ted Lasso, but I'm not a fan of Uncut Gems. I can see the quality in it: the controlled chaos, the bold choices, the pace, the complexity of the story. But it all just does nothing to me. Irritating character in an uninteresting story doing stupid stuff. The soundtrack was also off (great sound, but completely disconnected from the film). I didn't quite see it in Sandler's performance either: it's basically his usual character, but in the context of a dark drama-thriller-whatever.

I did finish it though! And Good Time was great: a lot of the same qualities came together really nicely in that one.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
“Social ops” - I think you just invented an exciting new genre.
I would watch a movie about an anonymous ex-social worker gone rogue, addressing what he thinks gone wrong in our society. With extreme prejudice and violence. A pity Rutger Hauer can‘t be cast.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought Good Time was better. But like Uncut Gems it contains unlikeable shitheads, so maybe also not your thing.
I'm team Wibble here. Well, I have never seen Ted Lasso, but I'm not a fan of Uncut Gems. I can see the quality in it: the controlled chaos, the bold choices, the pace, the complexity of the story. But it all just does nothing to me. Irritating character in an uninteresting story doing stupid stuff. The soundtrack was also off (great sound, but completely disconnected from the film). I didn't quite see it in Sandler's performance either: it's basically his usual character, but in the context of a dark drama-thriller-whatever.

I did finish it though! And Good Time was great: a lot of the same qualities came together really nicely in that one.
I also preferred Good Time. The hype around Uncut Gems didn’t help. I think my expectations were a bit too high. Cracking film all the same.

Spoony

The People's President

Gems is a very good film.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Bullet Train - semi decent action comedy on board of a bullet train to Japan. The interconnected story was relatively well woven, the action scenes were nicely done too. A group of unconnected assassins board a train to bring home a crime boss's son and his loot. It reminded me a lot of Smokin' Aces, but I've also seen it described as a Guy Ritchie movie...both are good comparisons. The bad bits were the constant need for humour when it didn't need it, (I found the whole Brad Pitt giving therapy while fighting boring after it seemed to be in every fight scene he was in). It also was weird that there was meant to be a big age between Hiroyuki Sanada's (age 63) character, the Grandfather, and Brad Pitt's (age 60) character. That just didn't work. Also Michael Shannon cosplaying as a Russian didn't really work for me either. The other thing is the lack of any Japanese representation in this movie. It's a Japanese story, set in Japan, with Japanese mythology...fine you want to adapt it for American audiences, but did it need to be in Japan that case? Anywho, it was good and passed the time. 6.5/10

The Flash-
whoever thought that the only thing that could be better than one Ezra Miller is two Ezra Miller's needs to be shot. The best thing about this movie was Keaton. I grew up watching Tim Burton's Batman movies, and seeing Keaton in the cape and cowl was worth the ticket fee alone (I didn't pay to watch this movie, I was on a plane). Keaton aside, it was an ok movie - some nice nostalgic moments with Christopher Reeves, Adam West etc when we look into other universes. I think the fact that both DC and Marvel are on this train to move all of the previous iterations of their IP under one umbrella is now stagnant, but it doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon. Is this the reset movie for the DC universe now? As Ezra Miller is now stuck in the Joel Schumacher George Clooney universe? Or have I got that all wrong. 5.5/10

Black Adam-
not sure where to start with this. Does the Rock even act? It seems he had one expression throughout the whole movie, and that was to look as bland as possible. I found the scenes with Pierce Brosnan's Doctor Fate the most interesting - wasn't sure why he had / needed to die though. There was some interesting world building here with the JSA and that Superman scene, but not sure what or if it goes anywhere with the DC reset? The movie itself was a pretty crap one. The best bits were the scenes with Mo Amer. 4/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You know what's good? In A World... It's a 2013 comedy by and with Lake Bell, who plays a vocal coach that wants to do voice-over work for film trailers, but is held back by a male-centric environment - including her own dad and his protégé.

It's funny, quirky, makes a lot of good points along the way, moves along quickly, and features a lot of well-developed characters along the way. I didn't expect much, but it's really fun. 4/5

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean - brilliant or not is up for everyone to decide on their own, but it's obviously not "just" what you say in bolded.

A bit strange you also use the popularity of Ted Lasso as something that reinforces your stance on it, while criticising Uncut Gems whenever possible, a film that sits on 91% of positive feedback both on RT and Metacritic (and was nominated for/won several accolades in the industry).

CoopersDream

Saw The Zone of Interest earlier today. While it's certainly horiffic, it's a bit single minded. Very well done though, the technical aspects top notch and it builds atmospehere really well. It's just a bit boring and I think other movies has been much more effective in what it's trying to say. Anyway, not a bad film by any stretch just not as good as I had hoped it would be. 6/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I mean - brilliant or not is up for everyone to decide on their own, but it's obviously not "just" what you say in bolded.

A bit strange you also use the popularity of Ted Lasso as something that reinforces your stance on it, while criticising Uncut Gems whenever possible, a film that sits on 91% of positive feedback both on RT and Metacritic (and was nominated for/won several accolades in the industry).
I didn't raise Ted Lasso (Calodo did) and when it was it wasn't used in comparison. Well it was, in the sense that he disliked both equally, but I didn't compare the 2 at all as far as I remember.

And Shawshank Repemption, a perfectly bland and pleasant bit of entertainment, is frequently cited as the greatest film ever, and Crash won best picture at the Oscars. So ...

People can like and not like what they want. I do. However, for me it was style over substance. It reminds me of when mumblecore was all the rage. The Kings New clothes in film form.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Poor Things

Loved it. Haven't chuckled through a film so much in a long time. Stone and Ruffalo were both superb and the film is gorgeous to look at. Yorgos getting into my top 5. He's Wes Anderson with substance.

Wing Attack Plan R

I didn't raise Ted Lasso (Calodo did) and when it was it wasn't used in comparison. Well it was, in the sense that he disliked both equally, but I didn't compare the 2 at all as far as I remember.

And Shawshank Repemption, a perfectly bland and pleasant bit of entertainment, is frequently cited as the greatest film ever, and Crash won best picture at the Oscars. So ...

People can like and not like what they want. I do. However, for me it was style over substance. It reminds me of when mumblecore was all the rage. The Kings New clothes in film form.
The two bolded films were shit, so maybe I’m back on Team Wibz

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Fast X

At this point, they are just taking the p*ss. No idea why I'm still watching this series (and will watch the next one too). Just a collection of scenes where the entire cast have their 2 minutes of fame.

.../10

The Marvels

Bizarre & confused. Maybe they wanted a teen girls best friends forever movie (with a couple of genocides) thrown in? The song/dance water planet sequence must be one of the silliest scenes I've ever seen in a movie...and this is me having watched Fast X the day before!

So sad that even a bunch of cute kittens can't save this!

1/10

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Hoop Dreams (1994)

A pretty remarkable documentary about two high school basketball players and their dream of playing in the NBA. I am not a massive basketball fan, but the film is still excellent as it’s more about life and growing up than basketball really.

8.5/10