Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Member 39557

Grosse Point Blank is very good. I also like Con Air (cheesy as f*ck, but good fun) and Better Off Dead. I remember liking The Sure Thing too, but I was very young and I'd hate to watch it again and discover that it's rubbish.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I enjoyed High Fidelity when I watched it, though that was some time ago... I also remember thinking 1408 wasn't entirely terrible.

pauldyson1uk

The Asylum Tapes also called Greystone Park.

Well it was billed has a horror film but it did not scare me once or even made me jump, so in that respect it failed.
It was another of these found footage films about a group of kids that go into abandoned old asylum.
Plot was weak and acting was just has weak, the filming annoyed the hell out of me.
There are a few strange and creepy things that happened but to be honest you could go in to any old abandoned building with a decent phone and make a film like this.
Even after all that I did find myself enjoying it.

4.5/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wish You Were Here Good looking, well acted Aussie drama set in Sydney and Cambodia. The asynchronous structure works well although it possibly contributes to the rather disappointing low key ending. Well worth a watch a miles better than most things I've seen recently. 7/10

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Tron Legacy, any good? I've been watching Tron Uprising... and it's mint.
Erm, the first half of it is quite entertaining for what it is... (Namely, tron style action scenes) but films plot is totally ridiculous, and the last half of the film becomes incredibly tedious...

The soundtrack is fantastic though.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
In it's favour it had a great soundtrack, it looked nice and fit women in skintight clothing, but yes, the plot is ridiculous, the main character is a plank and it's pretty samey and boring.

pauldyson1uk

Red Lights.

I found this good and bad
The first 35 mins was excellent, Sigoruney Weaver was fantastic, she played a professional who helps to prove that paranormal abilities are not what they seem, maybe the best I have ever seen her do and then after 35 mins she dies, for no apparent reason.
Then the film just nose dives , Robert De Nero is dreadful, Cillian Murphy was OK. The film jumps around trying to get you interested in what was going on and really not much did, a few broken windows and dead birds thats about it.
There is one part where Murphy is getting beat up, which really did nothing for the film and could of been left out.
The ending was just rubbish.
The film could of been so much better if Weaver had been in all of it and her part was allowed to progress.

Still I enjoyed the film but would not watch it again I don't think.

5/10

pauldyson1uk

The Crawl
I watched this Australian film on the bases of this.

A seedy bar owner hires a mysterious Croatian to commit murder, but a planned double-crossing backfires when a young waitress is taken hostage. A suspenseful, yet darkly humorous chain of events builds to a bloodcurdling climax.

It was not humorous , suspenseful or even had a bloodcurling ending.
It was slow, boring and has a very predictable ending.
A complete waste of 80+ min.

3/10

brad-dyrak

"Beasts of the Southern Wilds". Land sakes, what a movie that was. Incredible. Strongly recommended.

jem

I just watched The Proposition. Very good movie with the very underrated Guy Pearce. Written by Nick Cave, so you can imagine how dark it is.

Member 39557

Moneyball: I have no interest in baseball, but I found this quite enjoyable. The fact that there's very little baseball in it probably helped!
Worth a watch if you like feel good films about over achieving underdogs.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Killing Them Softly

I wanted to like it, but just found it a bit weird. Brad Pitt puts in a cool performance, but i'd be in no rush to watch it a second time.

5/10
Weird in what way?

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - Exhausting but at the same time enjoyable absurdist, existential comedy.

Heardy

Weird in what way?

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - Exhausting but at the same time enjoyable absurdist, existential comedy.
I'm probably being a tad unfair, it just wasn't what I expected.

Very little violence or grit in it to be a typical "gangster movie." It was cool, and that was largely due to Pitt's character, I didn't dislike it or come out disappointed even, just didn't come out of it thinking, "yeah I'd love to see that again."