Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Salmon Fishing in Yemen - Well, it was about salmon fishing in Yemen but I don't remember how the film actually came to be about salmon fishing in Yemen, it was all very random and the salmon fishing in Yemen wasn't that great either. Kristin Scott Thomas popped up now and then in a pretty pointless role as a sort of female version of Malcolm Tucker. I was hoping for something like Beginners but this was way too sugary sweet. Emily Blunt looked quite hot though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No. Stopped watching half way through. Unfunny. Almost all style and what little plot there is is stupid. The emotional depth of a KFC advert only less funny.

Revan

Assumptionman
Requiem for a dream - A very good and interesting movie, with a very unique way of directing. The final moments of the movie were of Shakespearean tragedy. The soundtrack is without doubt one of the best ever. 8/10

brad-dyrak

No. Stopped watching half way through. Unfunny. Almost all style and what little plot there is is stupid. The emotional depth of a KFC advert only less funny.
I really liked it, though admittedly I've been into that whole Anderson thing since Bottle Rocket way back when (still one of my favorite comedies). Sure there's not a whole pile of plot in there, but style is a crucial part of any number of films.

I think I already mentioned it, but "Beasts of the Southern Wilds" was phenomenal. Off the top of my head, if I could recommend 2 movies portraying the states to folks that have never been, I'd rank that one up there along with "Days of Heaven". I would that Mallick or the Beasts director take a crack at "Grapes of Wrath" or "Huckleberry Finn". Those deserve a good film treatment (John Ford's "Grapes of Wrath" was good, but I could imagine better).

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
The scene in Moonrise Kingdom where Bruce Willis' character finds out that the boy and the girl has run away together and says the line 'his family died', had me in stitches for some strange reason, the deadpan delivery was just perfect. A lot of people can't stand his style but I enjoy the dry, melancholic humour in his film.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What did you make of The Royal Tenenbaums?
Boring but nowhere near as bad as this. The only one of his films I have even vaguely enjoyed was The Darjeeling Express. And even then I was a captive audience on a plane.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I love style but when it is in the total absence of anything else (barring unfunny stoner "humor") it isn't anywhere near enough.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Saw Girl With a Dragon Tattoo last night 8/10.

Decent storyline (albeit the very end was a bit much) and wasn't expecting it to be as dark as it was in places. Well worth a watch- doesn't feel as long as 2hr40 mins when you watch it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Snow White and the Huntsman 7/10

A good adaptation of the famous tale, with some changes as well. Particularly I liked how evil queen became the Queen more than in the original story. Charlize was ridiculosuly hot as usual.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Watching Our Hitler: a Film from Germany. Incredible, strange film that really makes you think.

SteveJ

Scout
It's about German myths, the madness of the Nazi/Hitler ****, how dangerously attractive its image* & ideology remains in spite of all the horrors, and it's also a treatise on film & propaganda. Despite all this sounding very boring indeed, it's such a strange and wise film that I'm really impressed. Bizarre but making complete sense nevertheless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler:_A_Film_from_Germany

*Susan Sontag's comment in a review of a book titled SS Regalia:

Uniforms suggest fantasies of community, order, identity (through ranks, badges, medals which “say” who the wearer is and what he has done: his worth is recognized), competence, legitimate authority, the legitimate exercise of violence. But uniforms are not the same thing as photographs of uniforms. Photographs of uniforms are erotic material, and particularly photographs of SS uniforms.

Why the SS? Because the SS seems to be the most perfect incarnation of fascism in its overt assertion of the righteousness of violence, the right to have total power over others and to treat them as absolutely inferior. It was in the SS that this assertion seemed most complete, because they acted it out in a singularly brutal and efficient manner; and because they dramatized it by linking themselves to certain aesthetic standards. The SS was designed as an elite military community that would be not only supremely violent but also supremely beautiful.

pauldyson1uk

It's about German myths, the madness of the Nazi/Hitler ****, how dangerously attractive its ideology remains in spite of all the horrors, and it's also a treatise on film & propaganda. Despite all this sounding very boring indeed, it's such a strange and wise film that I'm really impressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler:_A_Film_from_Germany
I have looked at that film before but the 7 hours running time put me off.

SteveJ

Scout
Yeah, it lasts longer than the Third Reich did. :D

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I gritted my teeth and finished it so I might as well review it.

Moonrise Kingdom What a waste of decent actors. All style and little substance with a really stupid and boring plot. Allegedly a comedy but notable for it's total lack of laughs of any sort. Perhaps a stoner might start giggling but they are more likely to descend into depressed paranoia IMO. As you can tell I'm no Anderson fan but this must be close to his worst film. Even worse that The Life Aquatic if that is possible. I want my hour and a half back. 0.5/10

pauldyson1uk

Antichrist.

About a couple who lose there child after he falls out of a window ,while they are having sex in another room.
The mother takes it badly and is in hospital for a while, the farther a shrink decides that he will treat her. They go to a cabin in the woods and all starts to go wrong

The most disturbing film I have ever seen.In fact the first 5 mins nearly had me turning it off. There is violent sex and some brutal violence.
At one point she drills a hole in his leg and connects a huge grinding wheel to his leg , this is after she has crushed his nuts with a huge log of wood and in another part She mutilates her own genitals with scissors
There is only 2 people in it William Defoe and Charlotte Gainsborough and both were excellent.

I found it uncomfortable to watch in places but I did enjoy the film has a whole , maybe enjoy is not the right word for this film.

I would recommend watching it it

8/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Angel's Share Ken Loach films are always a welcome distraction from the crap we seem to be served with ever increasing regularity and The Angel's Share is no exception. Despite the usual urban angst at the beginning of the film this turns into a far lighter comedy that I'd expected. Funny and emotional in turn (with one of the most vomit inducing scenes that you will ever see) this story of redemption through engagement in the Scottish whisky scene is a really good film. Perhaps just a sliver off Loach's very best work but by far the best thing I've seen in a long long time. Wes Anderson eat your heart out. 8.5/10

pauldyson1uk

Eating Raoul

A really boring couple find a very novel way of making shed loads of money to by a restaurant they want.
They decide that killing swingers is the best way to make money by stealing the money on them and then selling the bodies.
I dont normally go in for comedy horrors , but this was good.

Well worth a watch 7/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Monsieur Lazhar - A traumatized school class gets a new teacher, an immigrant who himself is still suffering from lingering trauma after a personal tragedy. The film attempts to move away from the conventions of regular school films but never really hits home enough on all the points to render it really special. I'd say it's still a good film though with some terrific performances by the child actors.

brad-dyrak

"Rolling Thunder". A serious 1970's revenge Grindhouse I managed to catch in 35mm. William Devane back from POW camp in Vietnam and runs afoul of a scumbag played by the guy who was Jim Lindsey in the Andy Griffith Show (or Roscoe on the Dukes of Hazard). Good movie for what it was. Tommy Lee Jones as his loyal POW comrade with a horrible family was fun, though he looked a bit cro-magnon in his youth.

brad-dyrak

Kanal. 1957 movie about the last days of the Warsaw Uprising. A big topic of mine as a kid and I always wanted to see this one. Very well shot imagery, and pretty in its own way. Predictably dated and hammy acting may drag it down for you. Still worth a watch I thought.

My favorite East block post war movie was the one made by E. Germany about the young German born Russian kid soldier who works as a translator for a travelling propaganda troop. Damned if I can remember the title. Someone help me out?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Antichrist.

About a couple who lose there child after he falls out of a window ,while they are having sex in another room.
The mother takes it badly and is in hospital for a while, the farther a shrink decides that he will treat her. They go to a cabin in the woods and all starts to go wrong

The most disturbing film I have ever seen.In fact the first 5 mins nearly had me turning it off. There is violent sex and some brutal violence.
At one point she drills a hole in his leg and connects a huge grinding wheel to his leg , this is after she has crushed his nuts with a huge log of wood and in another part She mutilates her own genitals with scissors
There is only 2 people in it William Defoe and Charlotte Gainsborough and both were excellent.

I found it uncomfortable to watch in places but I did enjoy the film has a whole , maybe enjoy is not the right word for this film.

I would recommend watching it it

8/10
FFS Pauldy! You must be desensitised to a lot of stuff now.

Did you like The Devil's Rejects?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Kanal. 1957 movie about the last days of the Warsaw Uprising. A big topic of mine as a kid and I always wanted to see this one. Very well shot imagery, and pretty in its own way. Predictably dated and hammy acting may drag it down for you. Still worth a watch I thought.

My favorite East block post war movie was the one made by E. Germany about the young German born Russian kid soldier who works as a translator for a travelling propaganda troop. Damned if I can remember the title. Someone help me out?
I liked Wajda's Ashes and Diamonds.

Don't know which one that is but as far as east block war films goes, Ivan's Childhood is a thing of beauty.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I have not watched it, it is sat on my HDD.

Even I found Antchrist disturbing but still liked it, it is a real Marmite film, love it or hate it.
The acting of the 2 leads is what made me watch it all, both were very good.
Get it on tonight. I watched it again last night and it's still well worth a watch. Lots of references to classic horror, plenty of gore, good characters that are well acted and a cracking soundtrack.

You will not be disappoint.

pauldyson1uk

Get it on tonight. I watched it again last night and it's still well worth a watch. Lots of references to classic horror, plenty of gore, good characters that are well acted and a cracking soundtrack.

You will not be disappoint.
I noticed that this is a sequel to House Of 1000 Corpses, is it any good?
It gets good and bad reviews on imdb

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
House of 1000 Corpses is even more fecked up than Devil's Rejects. Same characters (well most of them) that aren't on the run in 1000 Corpses but in their natural habitat. A few young ones have car problems and need their help. Plot is very similar to Texas Chainsaw Massacre and there's loads of references to Tobe Hooper's film. If you're a fan of genre cinema, then yes, it's definitely worth a watch. Less polished film than Devil's Rejects, seems like it was shot on a shoestring budget (which is probably was), and there are some weird editing choices towards the end of the film, but yeah check it out.

Oh and Sheri Moon is hot.

Member 39557

The Raid:
I watched the international uncut version (I don't know how this differs from the uk one) This film goes at 100mph from about 10 minutes in. The fight choreography is fantastic. If you like action/martial arts films then you'll love this.

The only minor gripe I had is that the main character has a tendency to get attacked with a knife/machete, he takes the villain out with their own weapon and then promptly discards it! Why would you throw away weapons when you're being attacked by an entire building?

Other than that small gripe, I thought it was very good.