Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I watched that comedy 50/50 the other night. Seth Rogan is in it and I think the other guy was in 3rd rock from the sun.

I thought it was a pretty decent effort at a comedy about a cancer patients struggle. It strays into super cheesy at times, but you'd expect that from a hollywood comedy of this nature. Rogan is hilarious in my mind and I think it's well worth a look as a popcorn movie to watch with the missus.

Also, it's on netflix now.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Watched Downfall last week for the first time. I thought it was a really powerful movie, and humanised the downfall of the Nazi regime whilst highlighting the horrors of the war for the people of Berlin. Film moved at a great pace and was enjoyable start to finish. Superb acting and well worth a look for anyone who doesn't mind subtitles.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I watched that comedy 50/50 the other night. Seth Rogan is in it and I think the other guy was in 3rd rock from the sun.

I thought it was a pretty decent effort at a comedy about a cancer patients struggle. It strays into super cheesy at times, but you'd expect that from a hollywood comedy of this nature. Rogan is hilarious in my mind and I think it's well worth a look as a popcorn movie to watch with the missus.

Also, it's on netflix now.
Enjoyed that movie.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Went to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower today, had really been looking forward to it after hearing great things about the book (and film). It didn't disappoint. I really, really liked it. Not sure if it will be the Caf's cup of tea, but certainly worth a watch. Plus Emma Watson is in it. That in itself is reason enough to watch it.

MJJ

Looper-5/10
Got bored after watching it for an hour, was obvious that he would not kill that child and who the child was so half an hour was wasted when he was going after the other kids. The kid power was easily identified as well, you could tell the kid wasnt normal(i.e. genius) and with his mom TK powers, it wasnt hard to figure out.

Also, why the feck did he not shoot his arm off instead of taking his life?Idiot!

Zen

Perks was great, I mean if you like that sort of thing, I love a good old high school/coming of age film though. But it was one that was really well done, probably the best "mainstream" one since about Mean Girls.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Went to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower today, had really been looking forward to it after hearing great things about the book (and film). It didn't disappoint. I really, really liked it. Not sure if it will be the Caf's cup of tea, but certainly worth a watch. Plus Emma Watson is in it. That in itself is reason enough to watch it.
Why? Is she funny or something?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I saw 'The Intouchables' yesterday, absolutely lovely film & heartily recommended.

That guy is the spit of Dustin Hoffman which is ironic because this movie looks a lot like Rainman if you replace autism with quadriplegia.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The Expendables 2

Be unfair to give it a proper review as I watched it on fast forward just to get to the action. Sample dialogue...

Arnie: I'll be back.
Bruce: You've been back enough. Wait here. I'll be back.
Arnie: Yippee ki yay.

*Chuck Norris shoots about 50 people*

Arnie: Who next? Rambo.

Member 39557

The Help:

A story about a white aspiring writer trying to write a book expressing the thoughts of black maids during the early sixties in Mississippi. I was expecting it to be overly cheesy and worthy, but It didn't come across that way to me.
I genuinely felt for the main characters and I enjoyed the film. It's worth a watch.

Tooni

Folks, can anyone recommend me a recent and good non-english movie in any genre except horror or science fiction.

pauldyson1uk

Thor

I really like this, even though the plot was a very predictable, some good action in it and Chris Hemsworth has Thor was decent enough.
Not Anthony Hopkins best film.
Thought it was strange that a major plot twist would come at the end of the credits, if I had not been told I would of missed it.

6.5/10

Member 39557

Thor

I really like this, even though the plot was a very predictable, some good action in it and Chris Hemsworth has Thor was decent enough.
Not Anthony Hopkins best film.
Thought it was strange that a major plot twist would come at the end of the credits, if I had not been told I would of missed it.

6.5/10
There's little tidbits like that at the end of all the recent marvel films. It was to do with setting things up for the avengers.

I liked Thor too, one of my favourite comic book films of recent times.

Member 39557

I didn't quite like Thor. The storyline was predictable and action sequences were boring. The only good thing about the film was Chris Hemsworth. He's perfect for the character of Thor.
I think his performance made the film for me to be honest.

pauldyson1uk

I didn't quite like Thor. The storyline was predictable and action sequences were boring. The only good thing about the film was Chris Hemsworth. He's perfect for the character of Thor.
You are right he was perfect for the film, the rest of the film was just filler, setting up for the Avengers film.
They had to get Thor in to the story line of the Avengers and in that was it did work, but it could of been done so much better.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Is Infernal Affairs 3 worth watching?
I really liked the first two but have never gotten around to that one for some reason.

Three Colours: White - It was on it's way to become my favourite installment of the trilogy, but now I'm not so sure. Very good despite numerous implausibilities but the ending was a bit of a turn off. It reminded me more of an episode of The Decalogue than the other films in the trilogy, not just because it was mostly set in Poland.

Tooni

Oslo, August 31st
Himizu

Best films I've seen this year.
Great shout mate, saw the trailer and it's got me hooked now.

Think A prophet is a tad overrated (well anyway over here), it's seen as the second coming. Think it's a good film though, just don't go in there with huge expectations.
I loved that movie. I don't really care if it's over rated or not but I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
No but I really want to see it, heard it's very good and Pitts best performance.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The trailer really made me want to see it, which is unusual in itself.

i think Gandolfini is brilliant and if what you say is true re Pitt it should be good.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I watched Sinister today. Decent horror affair, in the Blair Witch mould (you don't see much that's graphic- it's mostly left to your imagination). Ethan Hawke is good as a True Crime writer who buys the house where a family was murdered. He discovers some home movies in the attic and watches them, and is shocked to discover that they show the murder of the family who lived there....among other murders of families he didn't know about. Then all sorts of weird shit starts happening in his house.

7.5/10

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Is IA3 the one that's entirely a flashback to the bits that were flashbacks in the first one (if that makes sense)?

Three Colours: White - It was on it's way to become my favourite installment of the trilogy, but now I'm not so sure. Very good despite numerous implausibilities but the ending was a bit of a turn off. It reminded me more of an episode of The Decalogue than the other films in the trilogy, not just because it was mostly set in Poland.
It's definitely my favorite, though yeah, the end's not great. It takes itself far less seriously than the others.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - Superb documentary about a sushi chef that's extremely dedicated to his profession which he treats as an art-form. It showcases his work, the restaurant business, his relationship with his two sons and his philosophies. All of this was very simplistically and elegantly put together, the music, editing and so on. Fair to say, it really made me want to try sushi.

Last edited:

LoveInTheAsylum

Is anyone able to recommend a good starting point / viewing order for Ingmar Bergman, please?

Things wot I ave seen recently:

Lawless - better than my low expectations & nicely shot. I felt with its hints at rural folk myths, it needed to be told from a child's perspective or something. Showing the action as straight up reality made it nonsensical in places. Above average blah.

Spider - not much in the way of unpredictable story which could make for an incredibly long 90 minutes, but I thought it was brilliantly observed & put together.

The End of the Affair - one of my favourite books so I've always been a bit reluctant to see it. As a standalone it's probably good but it's too hard not to use the book against it. As great as Ralph Fiennes is, he just felt too clean cut and well adjusted as Bendrix (which is weird saying that after seeing him in Spider), the character's always felt more flawed & broken, to me.

Vanya on 42nd Street - pretty good & cleverly done.

My Dinner with Andre - really enjoyed this. I think it gets away without being pretentious drivel like other conversation films like Before Sunrise/Sunset, because of how it's presented. It doesn't ask for an acceptance of the characters or situation like a Romance does - it's just two individuals interested in what the other has to say, which draws you into their speech as opposed to giving you any take it or leave it message.

The Princess Bride - never gets old. 'Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!'

Instrument - documentary film about Fugazi. I really enjoyed it but it felt more suited to hardcore fans of the band. I only really knew of them as a band to be respected through some cliched images of what they represented, as well as for their importance to musicians I love who came after. The doc. is basically an accompaniment to the band's view that to know what they're about, you just need to see & hear them. Even if like me you don't much like the music, the concert footage is great with a lot of quotables ('Ice cream eating motherfecker, that's what you are!') & it's quite nicely put together. It is too slow moving in parts though, and it doesn't contain nearly enough of the stuff I really like, such as the band's views on music & the creative process. Ian MacKaye says a lot more along those lines in his 5 minutes in D.I.Y. or Die. I will now only ever dance like Guy Picciotto.
Finally got around to watching some Woody Allen, seeing Manhattan & Annie Hall. I thought Annie Hall was far funnier & better. Manhattan had some great shots/scenes & his age gap relationship felt pretty well done, but it mainly made me realise what a judgmental bastard I am as I really disliked every character. I don't think it helps how much he & those characters have been imitated since.

Assa - surprisingly loved this given I watched it more out of interest & under slight duress. As it's so much about the time & place it was made, I wrongly figured it wouldn't mean anything to me or involve me in any way. The only way is up after the first song; the scene set to City of Gold, is perfect.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Is anyone able to recommend a good starting point / viewing order for Ingmar Bergman, please?
The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny and Alexander are three accessible films to start with, then move over to stuff like Persona, Cries & Whispers and Autumn Sonata, after that pretty much in any order.

My Dinner with Andre - really enjoyed this. I think it gets away without being pretentious drivel like other conversation films like Before Sunrise/Sunset, because of how it's presented. It doesn't ask for an acceptance of the characters or situation like a Romance does - it's just two individuals interested in what the other has to say, which draws you into their speech as opposed to giving you any take it or leave it message.
The first 50 minutes or so consisted of way too much new age crap for me but I thought the rest of the film was quite interesting.