Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I was a bit mixed about the way it was shot. The close-ups were a bit over the top at times and it could've done with less of them, but then there were some shots which were incredible to look, such as the one near the start when the prologue ends of the whole small town and the mountains in the background etc.

Bonham Carter was okay. She was funny enough at times, but the parts a lot more brutish than what she made it. She kind of just played herself which half tailored the part. In general though the Thenardier's were shortchanged in this compared to the stage version.

Funny though that most of the best cast members were probably some of the younger ones with less experience while the weaker links were mainly some older ones. I didn't dislike anyone strongly in the main cast, but as you say Bonham Carter was a tad annoying and while I didn't hate Crowe like I expected to, he's not the best.
To be fair, the older guys aren't well designed for Musical , and the younger ones I bet was plucked fresh from Drama school

Can you imagine Maximus singing? lol... he's kinda made up for it by looking straight dumb though :D

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was a bit mixed about the way it was shot. The close-ups were a bit over the top at times and it could've done with less of them, but then there were some shots which were incredible to look, such as the one near the start when the prologue ends of the whole small town and the mountains in the background etc.

Bonham Carter was okay. She was funny enough at times, but the parts a lot more brutish than what she made it. She kind of just played herself which half tailored the part. In general though the Thenardier's were shortchanged in this compared to the stage version.

Funny though that most of the best cast members were probably some of the younger ones with less experience while the weaker links were mainly some older ones. I didn't dislike anyone strongly in the main cast, but as you say Bonham Carter was a tad annoying and while I didn't hate Crowe like I expected to, he's not the best.
There's nothing wrong with how the film looks. It generally looks fantastic, and all the settings (particularly the opening scene, the Barricade and any town/Paris shots from high) are great.... I just take issue with how it was shot. The long close-ups just did not work... they made intresting/dramatic songs feel uninteresting, and you can tell they didn't work because they were barely there in the 2nd half of the film.

I also don't know what they were thinking when they filmed Hugh Jackmans song in the church (was it just me, or did he sing this in a Scottish accent?), that was terrible, and there were also several instances in this film where the camera is shaking slightly, despite being fixed on on spot/scene... aside from all that, there was nothing interesting about how this film is shot. For instance, there is one song sung by two people, where the camera just cuts from face to face, depending on who is singing. Urgh.

It all got better as the film went on, but in the first half especially, it really stood out.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Holy Motors felt like being shown someone elses favourite youtube videos and having to sit through them all out of politeness: The Starwars Kid, an obnoxious Jackass inspired leprechaun, Kylie's latest single, a cheesy melodrama, funny gorillas and some anthropomorphic cars. Irritating.

I liked The Hunger Games, a strange mix of teen drama, dark satire and violence. I thought the colour palette was interesting. The industrial greys, garish neons and forest greens created an unsettling contrast. The actual games suffer slightly from not being quite as good as Battle Royal - which itself suffered from being nowhere near as good as Lord of the Flies. Still the story is engaging and I'd watch Jennifer Lawrence in anything.

I thought Martha Marcy May Marlene was a really great film. What it does so brilliantly, is it conveys a sense of alienation, felt by the main character. To the extent that her relationship, with both 'families', feels disturbing and sinister. It's put together really well. It has a dream like quality, with the past and present blending into each other. It's quite disorientating but entrancing.

Silva

Yes, the big car chase at the end of Django was epic.
I'm still not getting the Death Proof reference and I had the misfortune of sitting through that movie.
In the sense that some of the violence wasn't very witty, rather being there just because. Not in the sense that Django buys a car and and rams people with it. Maybe I got that impression because I missed part of the film but a lot of it seemed like Tarantino thinking "Oh, I know, I'll just kill him."

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Flight

Really good film. Denzel is fantastic as usual, Goodman puts in a great cameo, too, and the supporting cast are all top notch. The beginning of the film, the crash, has you on the edge of your seat, and the slow self-destruction of Denzel plucks at the heart strings. It's a story about addiction and redemption, and is well worth your time and money. 9/10

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Kill List

Two ex-army guys make their money by being hired assassins. They take out nasty people, like paedos and priests. There's a bit of domestic argy-bargy with one of the soldiers and his wife, and he's the one who actually kills the people on the list in the film. We're led down one avenue throughout the film, and it all seems like an entertaining violent hitman romp, then, like Dawn til Dusk, there's a huge about-turn (which I won't spoil) and we're thrust into a horror film.

I enjoyed it and you might, too. 7.75/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I saw 2001 many years ago and have never managed to re-watch it - usually a good indicator of entertainment value.

I don't care for Kubrick's movies anyway - you've got to wear a woolly jumper and a heavy coat to keep from freezing. I don't know anything about the guy, but I'd hazard a guess he was a total prick.
He once locked one of his actresses (I think it was the woman in the Shining) in a cupboard to get her to act the way he wants...

Nialler

Alex's Dad
He once locked one of his actresses (I think it was the woman in the Shining) in a cupboard to get her to act the way he wants...
thats what directors do, its their job to get the actors to act and if that means scaring the shit out of them in order to get them to "act" the way they visualise a scene then thats what they have to do.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Flight

Really good film. Denzel is fantastic as usual, Goodman puts in a great cameo, too, and the supporting cast are all top notch. The beginning of the film, the crash, has you on the edge of your seat, and the slow self-destruction of Denzel plucks at the heart strings. It's a story about addiction and redemption, and is well worth your time and money. 9/10

very good film, I enjoyed it immensely, personally though I'd give it 7.5 :angel:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Holy Motors felt like being shown someone elses favourite youtube videos and having to sit through them all out of politeness: The Starwars Kid, an obnoxious Jackass inspired leprechaun, Kylie's latest single, a cheesy melodrama, funny gorillas and some anthropomorphic cars. Irritating.
Haters gonna hate. #teamHolyMotors

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I thought Martha Marcy May Marlene was a really great film. What it does so brilliantly, is it conveys a sense of alienation, felt by the main character. To the extent that her relationship, with both 'families', feels disturbing and sinister. It's put together really well. It has a dream like quality, with the past and present blending into each other. It's quite disorientating but entrancing.
Really enjoyed this one too, although the English boyfriend (of the main character's sister) pissed me off for some reason. Good performance too from John Hawkes (Sol in deadwood) as the ****/commune leader.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Precisely. And it was Shelley Duvall in The Shining I believe which was a pretty good performance.
she was brilliant in that film.

I remember also reading that William Friedkin fired a gun in order to get one of the actors to look really scared while shooting a scene in the Exorcist.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
she was brilliant in that film.

I remember also reading that William Friedkin fired a gun in order to get one of the actors to look really scared while shooting a scene in the Exorcist.
:lol:
Doesn't surprise me as anybody who has seen Killer Joe knows Friedkin is nuts.

Werner Herzog has been known to employ similar unorthodox techniques especially with Klaus Kinski whilst shooting Aguirre Wrath of God apparently he would wind him up between takes, and wait till he'd calm down a bit before shooting. He even threatened to shoot him and shoot himself on one occasion if Kinski left the set.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And to be fair I merely thought that that robot film was good entertainment for it's target audience - 10-12 year old boys - one of which I had at the time the film came out (he is still here bit not 12).

You can enjoy films like There Is Something About Mary for example without neccesarily they are a better film or higher art form than The Godfather. Funnily enough.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
To be fair, Wibbs loves Blade Runner... So all is forgiven.
I have it on VHS, DVD plus 2 x Blu ray versions of all 5 versions. For a grand total or 12 copies. I probably have it saved on a DVD somewhere from when I downloaded it years ago so I may have another 1 or 2 copies.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Boooo, but he makes up for it by liking Beasts of the Southern Wild.
A truly wonderful film IMO even though now people have reacted to how much it was liked by disliking it for taking advantage of the Hurricane Katrina or something.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The fantasy scenes don't 100% hit the mark always although without them the film might have been a bit one paced and depressing. Overall I loved it. Watch it again. If for no other reason than to watch the little girl - her performance was remarkable.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
A truly wonderful film IMO even though now people have reacted to how much it was liked by disliking it for taking advantage of the Hurricane Katrina or something.
I think many sharp, whippersnappers are very eager to put it in a firmly social realistic context which I think is wrong.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There were significant social realism in the film (the fantasy sections and floating whorehouse bits aside) in that it was examining what happens to people who were already disenfranchised when such a disaster strikes but the idea that this was in effect a ghoulish exploitation of the victims of Hurricane Katrina seemed ludicrous to me.

Will Absolute

thats what directors do, its their job to get the actors to act and if that means scaring the shit out of them in order to get them to "act" the way they visualise a scene then thats what they have to do.
If the actress is playing a woman traumatized by a recent sexual assault, should he rape her?

It's callous, egomaniacal bullying - no more, no less.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
If the actress is playing a woman traumatized by a recent sexual assault, should he rape her?

It's callous, egomaniacal bullying - no more, no less.

obviously there are boundaries mate, your being a tad sensationalist

its what actors sign up for