Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm not sure I agree. Sure it's an 'art', but being an actor is also a job and the directors are subject to labour regulations. Surely if it went too far, the actors guild would be up in arms.

Then again, it's like with all jobs, you have little dictators everywhere. And more so in cinema of course, cos they're 'artists' so they're off their fecking trolly.

Spoony

The People's President
Did you not think it was one of Ghibli's lesser works?
I'd say it's behind SA and PM, but the rest? I thought Kiki's, Toro and Ponyo didn't quite didn't work as well for adults. And Arrietty as good as it was, didn't have that wow factor.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I'm not sure I agree. Sure it's an 'art', but being an actor is also a job and the directors are subject to labour regulations. Surely if it went too far, the actors guild would be up in arms.

Then again, it's like with all jobs, you have little dictators everywhere. And more so in cinema of course, cos they're 'artists' so they're off their fecking trolly.
My heart bleeds for those poor actors, it really does.

I'd say it's behind SA and PM, but the rest? I thought Kiki's, Toro and Ponyo didn't quite didn't work as well for adults. And Arrietty as good as it was, didn't have that wow factor.
Castle in the Sky, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Grave of the Fireflies are way better, maybe even Porco Rosso and Castle of Cagliostro too. I agree that those are too childish as well. I've got From Up on Poppy Hill on my computer.

Spoony

The People's President

Castle in the Sky, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Grave of the Fireflies are way better, maybe even Porco Rosso and Castle of Cagliostro too. I agree that those are too childish as well. I've got From Up on Poppy Hill on my computer.
Not seen any of those listed. Which one should I watch first Castle in the Sky or Nausicaa?

Will Absolute

obviously there are boundaries mate, your being a tad sensationalist

its what actors sign up for
Stars don't. A director wouldn't pull that kind of stuff with Tom Cruise, Will Smith or Brad Pitt, whatever he thought of their performances. Again, it's just bullying - picking on the weak.

pauldyson1uk

Con Air.

What's there not to like, plenty of action, explosions and they take out half of Las Vegas at the end.I loved it.
Malkovich and Cusack were both excellent, I thought Buscemi has Greene stole the film, I was convinced that he was going to harm the little girl at first and him sing has the plane was crashing was funny.
Yes the story was predictable and the stunts just way OTT, but it was what it was 2 hours of entertainment.
Best part of the film, has to be "I said Put the Bunny back in the box" :lol:
Definably a film I will watch a few times, how have I not watched this before.

8/10

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Silver lining playbook 9/10 and I'm only halfway through...it's sad and funny at the same time...actually it's hilarious. I'm watching with my 16 year old daughter and for some parts we're literally rolling on the floor :)

Pscholes18

Bullet To The Head. 3/10 I'm actually in the theatre watching this train wreck as I post this. Acting is shite only trumped by the horrible cliched plot. Fees like I'm watching a made for TV movie, only that would be doing the made for TV market an injustice. This isn't as bad as Battleship but close.

Pscholes18

Silver lining playbook 9/10 and I'm only halfway through...it's sad and funny at the same time...actually it's hilarious. I'm watching with my 16 year old daughter and for some parts we're literally rolling on the floor :)
Damn, we were going to see this Instead of Bullet to the Head. Live and learn.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Con Air.

What's there not to like, plenty of action, explosions and they take out half of Las Vegas at the end.I loved it.
Malkovich and Cusack were both excellent, I thought Buscemi has Greene stole the film, I was convinced that he was going to harm the little girl at first and him sing has the plane was crashing was funny.
Yes the story was predictable and the stunts just way OTT, but it was what it was 2 hours of entertainment.

8/10
It was a film that we knew you would love.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Con Air.

8/10
Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.

Got more movies along these lines? Have watched a lot of these movies, so would like a list if you wouldn't mind :D

Member 39557

Con Air.

8/10
The film was made for you. I love it, I don't know if it's Cage's insane vertical press-ups, his hair or Colm Meaney's over the top performance. The whole thing is ludicrously great.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
V/H/S

Got subjected to this tonight.

Another attempt at Blair Witch/Paranormal activity, with a selection of horror shorts loosely tied together by a mostly non-existent plot. None of the shorts are interesting, none of the actors are believable, and the whole thing really is a waste of time. It's not worth bothering with even out of curiosity.

I can't even give it a point for the idea, or the style since neither are original or even remotely well done. It's terrible on a new level.

0/10

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The Great Escape-9.5/10

Brilliant film and one of the greatest I've seen. Was tense on my seat and the whole way it's done is superb because it keeps you gripped throughout. It's this sort of stuff that hits home even harder as well because you know it did happen. Obviously they'd have taken liberties here and there as is the case with all historical movies, but it felt fairly accurate from what I watched.

Saving Private Ryan-9/10

Been meaning to watch this for about a year and finally did. Again, superb film and probably sets the bar for some of the most brutal but realistic fighting in a war. Again, one of those that gets you gripped and really hits you hard by the end. What I will say is that while the opening scene has some great fighting, it wasn't my favourite bit because you don't know any of the characters here so you don't really care when anyone dies. Later on though, you do, and the final big battle was better for me. I'd rate this ahead of Apocalypse Now actually, but many probably won't agree.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
V/H/S

Got subjected to this tonight.

Another attempt at Blair Witch/Paranormal activity, with a selection of horror shorts loosely tied together by a mostly non-existent plot. None of the shorts are interesting, none of the actors are believable, and the whole thing really is a waste of time. It's not worth bothering with even out of curiosity.

I can't even give it a point for the idea, or the style since neither are original or even remotely well done. It's terrible on a new level.

0/10
Now we need a review of this film by pauldy! Get on it man! :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You will be telling is that you haven't seen True Lies, The Rock, Armageddon, The Day After Tommorow or Independence Day next.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
And how does that compare to SA and PM? I love SA's animation and surrealism. Anyway if it's(Nausicaä) anywhere near as good as those two, I'll have watch it today.
As a story it's not as good but Nausicaa was a joint effort of french illustrator Moebius and Miyazaki based on Moebius's comics. So it is stunning and it was from that point that I think Miyazakis work went up a level. That said though I much prefer Laputa castle in the sky. As a story it's more charming and adventurous. Feels more in line with SA.

Spoony

The People's President
Just one! :D

Have you watched "From Up on Poppy Hill"?
Paprika if you love the idea of watching a David Lynch-like anime.

As a story it's not as good but Nausicaa was a joint effort of french illustrator Moebius and Miyazaki based on Moebius's comics. So it is stunning and it was from that point that I think Miyazakis work went up a level. That said though I much prefer Laputa castle in the sky. As a story it's more charming and adventurous. Feels more in line with SA.
In what sense is it in line with SA? Fantasy/surrealism?