Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Just watched Silver Linings Playbook. A solid and funny rom-com film no doubt, but how it get nominated for so many awards is beyond me. Must be a really bad year for the Oscars.:wenger:
enjoyed De Niro as the OCD suffering father, very funny at times

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Anchorman-5/10

I usually don't mind most Ferrell comedies and even if it's cheap humour I enjoy them and get some laughs out of them because he's entertaining, but I just couldn't get into this one and it wasn't even that funny. There were only a few moments when I was laughing and generally I didn't find it funny at all. The character is supposed to be loved but he's no better than Ferrell's other characters. Perhaps that was because he hadn't done as many of these type films back then.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Anchorman-5/10

I usually don't mind most Ferrell comedies and even if it's cheap humour I enjoy them and get some laughs out of them because he's entertaining, but I just couldn't get into this one and it wasn't even that funny. There were only a few moments when I was laughing and generally I didn't find it funny at all. The character is supposed to be loved but he's no better than Ferrell's other characters. Perhaps that was because he hadn't done as many of these type films back then.
It's quite terrible. Ferrel's lazy, magnum garbage opus.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Savages

What happened to Oliver Stone? He used to be one of my favourite directors putting out stuff like Platoon, Salvador, Born on the fourth of July, JFK, Natural Born Killers etc...

This is just derivative wank. The plot was as implausible as the 3 way love triangle it hangs on and by the 30 minute mark I'd almost completely lost interest. I should've turned off then because it doesn't improve. Utter cobblers.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's quite terrible. Ferrel's lazy, magnum garbage opus.
As I said I generally don't mind films with Ferrell because I do think he's mildly entertaining and can be funny, but for one that people seem to rate so highly it just...wasn't funny.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Anchorman is the film with which I discovered Ferrell, I had no idea of who he was before that, what type of humour he had, what films he'd done, and no expectations going into the film (in France, Ferrell is hardly known at all, so I had no idea of the **** status the film holds amongst quite a few people)... And I loved it. I just couldn't stop laughing, and it made me check out Ferrell's other stuff.

But well, doesn't really matter, he's been discussed many a time on this forum, we're not exactly going to change each other's minds!

Zen

The Other Guys is classic. Always found Step Brothers to be his overrated one mostly, it's good, but I dunno, not for me really.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Not a huge fan of Old School, and I feel The Other Guys is kinda hampered by the fact it takes its plot very seriously. It gets lost in its own story a couple of times, it's a bit weird. But very funny film, with that brilliant monologue about the tunas and the lion! :lol:

I like Semi Pro quite a bit as well, Talladega Nights and Stepbrothers. Not a huge fan of Blades of Glory or The Campaign though.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I feel The Other Guys is kinda hampered by the fact it takes its plot very seriously. It gets lost in its own story a couple of times, it's a bit weird. But very funny film, with that brilliant monologue about the tunas and the lion! :lol:
I would have enjoyed that film more if The Rock and Samuel were in it longer and it was a buddy-rival thing... was still ok.

The Collection

A lot of people are hating on this because it is so different from it's predeccessor 'The Collector' but I didn't mind that. Was your mindless hollywood horror film, plenty of gore, deaths, torture etc. Fun while it lasted

6/10

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Anchorman is the film with which I discovered Ferrell, I had no idea of who he was before that, what type of humour he had, what films he'd done, and no expectations going into the film (in France, Ferrell is hardly known at all, so I had no idea of the **** status the film holds amongst quite a few people)... And I loved it. I just couldn't stop laughing, and it made me check out Ferrell's other stuff.

But well, doesn't really matter, he's been discussed many a time on this forum, we're not exactly going to change each other's minds!
As I've said I can usually laugh at his others because I'm usually a sucker for some cheap humour. I thought Blades of Glory was very funny, The Other Guys was good even if it was overly serious, and Step Brothers made me laugh too. I don't know why but I just couldn't really laugh at this one. Perhaps I've seen too many of his films to find it funny anymore and it's worn out after a few of them.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I want to watch a movie tonight. I might watch a movie like Old School or I might watch an old nam flick.

Give me a good Nam flick with a great soundtrack pleeeeze.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I think the thing about Silver Linings Playbook getting so many nominations is that a lot of the old men in the Academy not unreasonably want to feck Jennifer Lawrence. She is looking good in those dance scenes.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The Artist was ok but rather insubstantial. As a result it went on too long. One of the problems I had was that it's central story is an old one, told before in films like 'Sunset Boullevard', 'Singin in the Rain' and even on the small screen, in the Twilight Zone episode 'The 16mm Shrine'. The Artist seems to spend much of it's time reproducing bits from other works, only with less bite and feeling than the originals. Similarly the silent era aesthetic has a strange limp, inauthentic feel to it. The scene with actual silent era footage of The Mark of Zorro (I believe) looks horribly out of place, amongst the smooth, machine cranked, digitally processed images.

One other thing that bothered me slightly was that the film didn't seem to know it's own rules. One minute it was adhering to it's silent rules, the next it's playing like a postmodern deconstruction of the genre. I thought the dream sequence worked well though, in a Wild Strawberries kind of way.

pauldyson1uk

V/H/S

WTF have I just spent 2 hours watching, it was dreadful.
There is no story, no build up to a scary ending in fact no nothing. 5 so called scary stories that you don't give a jot about or the people in them.
It is billed has an horror film, but there was not 1 second of film that scared me, I had to fight to stay awake towards the end.
Lost film footage are not really my cup of tea and this one did nothing to change that.
Somebody has already give it a score of 0/10 and I see no reason to improve on that.

0/10 don't bother.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
V/H/S

WTF have I just spent 2 hours watching, it was dreadful.
There is no story, no build up to a scary ending in fact no nothing. 5 so called scary stories that you don't give a jot about or the people in them.
It is billed has an horror film, but there was not 1 second of film that scared me, I had to fight to stay awake towards the end.
Lost film footage are not really my cup of tea and this one did nothing to change that.
Somebody has already give it a score of 0/10 and I see no reason to improve on that.

0/10 don't bother.
I have to disagree with you. I looked at V/H/S as evidence (along with Chronicle) that "found footage" style of filmmaking can still be done in an imaginative way.

I dont mind this genre of film but watching one story in "found footage" for 90 or so minutes tends to lead to a lot of running aroun aimlessly and screaming. This film condensed that by keeping the stories short. However, what does let this down slightly for me is that the core story that glues all the short films together isn't that strong and also that there were maybe 2 short films too many.

Still worth a watch if you are a fan of horror films in my opinion.

7/10

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Shoot 'Em Up - Totally ridiculous, over the top, nonsensical action film. I rather enjoyed it... especially the multiple use of Carrots.

Dredd - Highly enjoyable fair. It is, as people have said, very similar to The Raid, but a) I love the Raid, and b) it's obviously a different type of action film, as all gun violence as opposed to hand-to-hand. Both films would probably go together quite nicely for an evening double bill. But yeah, the action is generally quite good fun... and pretty violent in periods, probably equally as much as The Raid, though the violence/gore here didn't seem quite as real - though that's probably due to it being a Science Fiction film.

I really like the look of the city an the building - especially the building, which was both futuristic and still wholly believable. I imagine it would make an excellent setting for a video game - in fact, this whole film would probably make for quite an entertaining video game.

The slow-mo stuff is, on the whole, decent... some of the effects suffer a bit, but I like the idea behind the drug, and how it is used in practical scenarios, and it doesn't come across as just simply using slow-mo for the sake of it.

Karl Urban's great, his sidekick is pretty good, and Cersei Lannister played a good villain, everyone else does their job and yeah, on the whole, it's a very enjoyable throw away action film, shame not many people saw it at the cinema really (he says... after not seeing it in Cinemas).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Shoot 'Em Up - Totally ridiculous, over the top, nonsensical action film. I rather enjoyed it... especially the multiple use of Carrots.

Dredd - Highly enjoyable fair. It is, as people have said, very similar to The Raid, but a) I love the Raid, and b) it's obviously a different type of action film, as all gun violence as opposed to hand-to-hand. Both films would probably go together quite nicely for an evening double bill. But yeah, the action is generally quite good fun... and pretty violent in periods, probably equally as much as The Raid, though the violence/gore here didn't seem quite as real - though that's probably due to it being a Science Fiction film.

I really like the look of the city an the building - especially the building, which was both futuristic and still wholly believable. I imagine it would make an excellent setting for a video game - in fact, this whole film would probably make for quite an entertaining video game.

The slow-mo stuff is, on the whole, decent... some of the effects suffer a bit, but I like the idea behind the drug, and how it is used in practical scenarios, and it doesn't come across as just simply using slow-mo for the sake of it.

Karl Urban's great, his sidekick is pretty good, and Cersei Lannister played a good villain, everyone else does their job and yeah, on the whole, it's a very enjoyable throw away action film, shame not many people saw it at the cinema really (he says... after not seeing it in Cinemas).
I really liked this film, they embodied Judge Dredd really well and I really like Lena Headey :D Watched it in the cinema and the 3D was done really well.

pauldyson1uk

I have to disagree with you. I looked at V/H/S as evidence (along with Chronicle) that "found footage" style of filmmaking can still be done in an imaginative way.

I dont mind this genre of film but watching one story in "found footage" for 90 or so minutes tends to lead to a lot of running aroun aimlessly and screaming. This film condensed that by keeping the stories short. However, what does let this down slightly for me is that the core story that glues all the short films together isn't that strong and also that there were maybe 2 short films too many.

Still worth a watch if you are a fan of horror films in my opinion.

7/10
I am big fan of horror films and I just did not like this.
I agree that the core story was the major problem and that could of been a lot better and the first story was just appalling and made no sense what so ever.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I am big fan of horror films and I just did not like this.
I agree that the core story was the major problem and that could of been a lot better and the first story was just appalling and made no sense what so ever.
I have other friends who like horror films and my girlfriend is big into horror but didn't like it also. On the other hand there are many friends who loved it. I guess it's one of those marmite films.

You say you like horror films? Check out L'interieur (2007) if you haven't done so already. Not a supernatural sort of horror film but it's damn good!

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Well you'll see, in fairness a few of my friends liked it, but I just couldn't get into it (no pun) (you'll understand if you watch it). I very much dislike the main actress, and it just went to far in gore (and I'm not easily shocked when I watch a film).

Rooney in Paris

Scout
If you want a good French horror film, I'd recommend "Haute Tension", Alexandra Aja's (the guy who did the remake of The Hills Have Eyes and Piranha) first film.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I will try it out, but I am not a fan of gore just for the sake of it.
It's one of my personal top 5 horror films and like you i'm not too fond of gore for the sake of it but it made sense in this film and it's very similar to something that happened in real life, not that the film markets itself in that way. I agree with Rooney In Paris about the actress though... looks like a chimp :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
If you want a good French horror film, I'd recommend "Haute Tension", Alexandra Aja's (the guy who did the remake of The Hills Have Eyes and Piranha) first film.
Oh my god, I couldn't stand that film.

starts off well and build up really nicely but the end makes the film one GIANT plothole :mad:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Oh my god, I couldn't stand that film.

starts off well and build up really nicely but the end makes the film one GIANT plothole :mad:
Well if you don't look into it too hard, you can pretty much deal with the conclusion I feel. What makes it good in my opinion is the actors' performances, and the tension you can really feel throughout the film. I think Aja did well on that front. I'm not saying it's the best horror movie ever or whatever, French horror films are pretty crap as a whole, but that one is worth a watch I think.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Struggleing to get either of those films, but I will and watch both.
For Haute Tension, try "High Tension" or "Switchblade Romance" and for A L'inteurier, try "Inside". Those were the english names for the films

Well if you don't look into it too hard, you can pretty much deal with the conclusion I feel. What makes it good in my opinion is the actors' performances, and the tension you can really feel throughout the film. I think Aja did well on that front. I'm not saying it's the best horror movie ever or whatever, French horror films are pretty crap as a whole, but that one is worth a watch I think.
I quite like French horror films to be honest but I get your point on HT, I did quite enjoy it the first time but after a second viewing, I really thought it was quite dumb, just my opinion though.

Have you seen Martyrs? If you hate gore, I want to know your opinion on that!

pauldyson1uk

For Haute Tension, try "High Tension" or "Switchblade Romance" and for A L'inteurier, try "Inside". Those were the english names for the films

I quite like French horror films to be honest but I get your point on HT, I did quite enjoy it the first time but after a second viewing, I really thought it was quite dumb, just my opinion though.

I have tried the English names and I can find them but painfully slow.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Not a huge fan of it, again it was a bit too gorey for me, but I can admit there was actually sense to the gore. I think there were a lot of ideas in it, and Pascal Laugier is an intelligent guy, definitely, but at times it was a bit of a mess.

I agree it's worth mentioning when talking about French horror films, it's one that is worth a watch I suppose.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Not a huge fan of it, again it was a bit too gorey for me, but I can admit there was actually sense to the gore. I think there were a lot of ideas in it, and Pascal Laugier is an intelligent guy, definitely, but at times it was a bit of a mess.

I agree it's worth mentioning when talking about French horror films, it's one that is worth a watch I suppose.
I know these are not really "horror" as such but have a look at Funny Games (not the U.S version) and Cache (2005) if you get a chance. The latter particularly is a thought provoking film with tension and a sense of horror minus any gore.