Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The Gunman

Pretty shit actually and all I was expecting was a dumb actioner. This just bored me and on top of that kept trying to cram an anti corporation message down my throat every 5 minutes. If I want that I've got Steve Seagal in 'On Deadly Ground' which is what I should've watched instead. It's a complete waste of acting talent (Sean Penn, Javier Bardem and Idris Elber) too and I can only assume Penn wanted to do it to show off his HGH enhanced physique which is rather impressive for a man of his age. Look out for the McConaughey worthy scene at the end where he sports a tactical vest but no shirt presumably just so he can show off his arms.

Stringer

Kingsman: The Secret Service - Wow, that church scene is something else. I was never a big fan of Kick Ass but this was brilliant. The action sequences and humour were a great combination.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Would You Rather
8 Strangers are pitted in a violent game of Would You Rather to win money and medical help for their various circumstances. They are then forced to participate by a mad billionaire and his thug security guards. The film was decent, never too gory as the director restrains from ever showing too much graphic violence. Not too bad of a film, if you look past some of the plot holes and is surprisingly acted really well, especially the antagonist. Much better than I thought it would be 6.5/10

Jurassic World
Plot holes and stupidness galore but an enjoyable popcorn flick if you harness the critic inside of you. Still couldn't ever get past the point that the heroine runs and runs and runs in high heels and keeps up with everyone else without having sore feet! Decent way to spend 2 hours I guess, especially if you like mindless hollywood blockbusters 7/10

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Get Hard

Stayed limp. One of the most unfunny films I've ever seen and that's coming from someone who generally likes Will Ferrell. The less said about Kevin Hart the better because if that guy is a comedian then he's stealing a living.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It Follows - Borrrrrrrrrrrringggggggggggg. Much preferred the Babadook despite its flaws.

arthurka

Kingsman: The Secret Service - Wow, that church scene is something else. I was never a big fan of Kick Ass but this was brilliant. The action sequences and humour were a great combination.
Agree very entertaining movie

Tarrou

While We're Young - Noah Bambach continues to make the same film, this time it didn't quite work despite some good moments. Watch if bored or you like Naomi Watts for some reason.

The Look Of Silence - A guy goes around interviewing the people responsible for his brothers death in the 60s Indonesian genocide. Immensely well crafted and worth a couple of hours of anyones time.

Last edited:

Castia

Spy

I went into this movie not expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised I really enjoyed it. Loads of laughs and even Jason Statham (Who I usually hate) had me pissing myself, probably one of the best comedies ive seen in the last few years.

8/10.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Jurassic World - Entertaining movie that isn't amazing. The writing is pretty terrible, but it's well worth watching. 6/10

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Mad Max: Fury Road

Not too bad. I felt a little bit disappointed initially, although that was probably because the hype surrounding it has been so high that I was always going to be a little bit disappointed. There was a lot to like: it's fairly well paced and does have plenty of action. The action itself is well done; it's hard-hitting and quite uncliched for the most part, which is good to see. I couldn't help but feel that the film was sort of missing something though. Max himself was played well enough, but he felt a bit like the cliched strong, silent type with a haunting past who is actually a more decent guy than he lets on type. The female protagonist was probably more interesting overall. The film could've also done with a sort of stronger central villain, perhaps. Still a good movie though, and definitely a lot more enjoyable/original than the standard Hollywood blockbuster.

7/10

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
While We're Young - Noah Bambach continues to make the same film, this time it didn't quite work despite some good moments. Watch if bored or you like Naomi Watts for some reason.
Very true, which is disappointing because he has obvious talent.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Very true, which is disappointing because he has obvious talent.
It's never bothered me until While We're Young because it's the first film where he's come off as a curmudgeon.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I have heard inside out is a return to form from Pixar. Anyone seen it?
I just came in here to post about this, I watched it last night.

So, Inside Out.

I thought it was incredible. The concept of the film is brilliant (though has probably been done before), and Docter is so good at telling a story, engaging the audience and balancing emotions. Loads of brilliant 'sub' ideas in there, without wanting to spoil anything, but loads of moments when they revealed something new in the mind of the kid and I just started smiling and thinking 'ah yeah, great idea'. It's funny, heart warming, sad, touching... I mean it's Pete Docter, the guy is brilliant.

I went in there having huge expectations (the reviews in France are crazy, it's got 4.7/5 stars overall from professional critics, which I don't think I've ever seen before), and I actually came out of there thinking it was even better than I expected. Absolutely loved it, it's a great Pixar (up there with Wall-E, Toy Story 3 and Up! for me), a nice analysis of what makes us what we are and of growing up.

The only thing I'd say as a way of warning is that I wouldn't have thought it's targeted for kids. I think a lot of it would go over their heads and they wouldn't enjoy it as much as teens, young adults or adults.

But definitely go see it, it's one of the best films, if not the best, I've seen this year. I'm still smiling this morning thinking about it.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Well that's a surprise. The trailer makes it look absolutely TERRIBLE.

Plus it's a blatantly ripping off an idea from a Whizzer and Chips comic. I wonder if they got a cut of the profits?
I've heard it's 'ripping off' an idea from about 2 or 3 different sources. Do you really think it's such an incredibly original idea? I like the idea, I think it's brilliant as I said, but I don't feel that the 'being inside the mind of a person' trope is original. It's just that in Inside Out, the execution is perfect, and once you get past the basic idea, they spread it out with loads of other little sub concepts which are enjoyable.

Also, not sure how IP works elsewhere but in France, ripping off an idea doesn't matter. Ideas aren't protected by IP law, only their execution. Though I think it's quite different in countries where you use copyrighting.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the trailer (is the one you're talking about the one where they're having dinner?), so maybe you won't enjoy it that much!

kps88

Well that's a surprise. The trailer makes it look absolutely TERRIBLE.
No surprise at all, the buzz has been tremendous ever since Cannes. But if you thought the trailer was "TERRIBLE" you probably shouldn't bother with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No surprise at all, the buzz has been tremendous ever since Cannes. But if you thought the trailer was "TERRIBLE" you probably shouldn't bother with it.
A surprise to me, obviously. What with me being the person who expressed surprise...

Dunno about judging any movie entirely on its trailer. Wouldn't be the first time a good movie had a crap trailer, or vice versa.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I've heard it's 'ripping off' an idea from about 2 or 3 different sources. Do you really think it's such an incredibly original idea? I like the idea, I think it's brilliant as I said, but I don't feel that the 'being inside the mind of a person' trope is original. It's just that in Inside Out, the execution is perfect, and once you get past the basic idea, they spread it out with loads of other little sub concepts which are enjoyable.

Also, not sure how IP works elsewhere but in France, ripping off an idea doesn't matter. Ideas aren't protected by IP law, only their execution. Though I think it's quite different in countries where you use copyrighting.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the trailer (is the one you're talking about the one where they're having dinner?), so maybe you won't enjoy it that much!
Just googled the comic strip I'm thinking about. It's in Beano, not Whizzer and Chips, my bad. It's called Numskulls.

The trailer really left me cold tbh. Which is a pity because I'd be excited about a really good movie from Pixar. I've two young kids so sit through a lot of shit kids movies and anything half decent would be welcomed. Although there has been a few crackers in recent years tbf: Lego Movie, Shaun the Sheep and Spongebob Squarepants (yes, really) Dunno why I disliked the trailer so much. I think it was a combination of the way the interactions between the kid and her parents was so bizarre and unnatural combined with the Brazilian helicopter pilot punchline, which seemed to be one of those jokes you occasionally get crowbarred into a kids movie which is aimed at the parents. I hate that sort of shit.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Just googled the comic strip I'm thinking about. It's in Beano, not Whizzer and Chips, my bad. It's called Numskulls.

The trailer really left me cold tbh. Which is a pity because I'd be excited about a really good movie from Pixar. I've two young kids so sit through a lot of shit kids movies and anything half decent would be welcomed. Although there has been a few crackers in recent years tbf: Lego Movie, Shaun the Sheep and Spongebob Squarepants (yes, really) Dunno why I disliked the trailer so much. I think it was a combination of the way the interactions between the kid and her parents was so bizarre and unnatural combined with the Brazilian helicopter pilot punchline, which seemed to be one of those jokes you occasionally get crowbarred into a kids movie which is aimed at the parents. I hate that sort of shit.
Yeah from that comic strip it really doesn't seem like a rip off of that, I've seen better claims of plagiarism than that one! :D

The Brazilian helicopter pilot is indeed the type of joke you talk about, but it worked well for me (and for the other 500 people in the movie theater), you're too harsh Pogue! As for the 'unnatural interactions between the kid and parents', you'll have to see the film to understand it happens in a specific context. :)
Yay! Glad to read this, was really hoping that it would be good. Can't wait to see it now.
Hope you enjoy it, it's a breath of fresh air really.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If it's (Inside Out) ripping off anything then it's ripping off the 'Hermans Head'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman's_Head

...although suggesting that the brains individual sections are controlled by different little people is hardly an original concept that anyone could claim dibs on.
Numskulls was first published in 1962, so has a better claim than most. But yeah, it's not the type of thing anyone could claim first
dibs on. It's too general an idea. I'm sure someone could find something similar in classical literature, if they looked hard enough.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
It's Wong Kai Wai week at the Archie household, brought to you by @R.N7

Today's selection is Chungking Express: two love stories set in fluorescent Hong Kong, apart from making me physically ill, it was a touching and enigmatic take on moving on. It made me want to go to Hong Kong again and start running. Faye Wong is so damn cute Duffy should be held down and forced A Clockwork Orange style to watch this film with his lids held open. Tony Leung is also pretty cool.

Rooney in Paris

Scout

Today's selection is Chungking Express: two love stories set in fluorescent Hong Kong, apart from making me physically ill, it was a touching and enigmatic take on moving on. It made me want to go to Hong Kong again and start running. Faye Wong is so damn cute Duffy should be held down and forced A Clockwork Orange style to watch this film with his lids held open. Tony Leung is also pretty cool.
:lol: Let's make this happen @Duffy

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue

Nice!