Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Green Door Enjoyed it. The acting was great and the story was fun if rather predictable (although allegedly true). I've seen some criticism of this being too much of a black bloke getting saved by a dumb white bloke and/or that it wasn't really representative of racism from most black people's perspective but I enjoyed it. 7/10
Think you've combined two films titles there.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Sisterhood seems made for the big screen (visual and thematic dynamite) and BN is up with the best. The Red Shoes dance is one of my all time favourite moments in film. Hoffman is worth a go if you haven't seen it. It goes on a bit and gets a little stuffy but Shearer makes an interesting Olympia and the design is grand. I can't fault The Archers, Blimp surprised me by how darkly odd it is and A Matter of Life and Death seems like it shouldn't work but does. I think their prestigious style could be seen as a little ostentatious, if it wasn't grounded by such superb writing. You've convinced me to go back and watch Black Narcissus.

And the only films to be recognised in the Alien series are Alien and Alien Covenant. And everyone else is wrong. You've convinced me to go back and watch Alien Covenant.
Yeah, I've seen Hoffman, the recent restoration looks incredible. It does go on a bit as you say and I remember wishing it would end before my initial amazement became totally deflated. I might just give A Matter of Life a rewatch as well seeing as I thought it was a bit naff at the time. It's a shame they didn't make more colour films, think I spent most of the time watching A Canterbury Tale wishing it was in colour instead of B&W.

I had somehow missed Scott directing another Alien film, reckon I just blanked out the entire franchise after seeing Prometheus.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I just tried to watch La La Land and remembered how much I hate musicals. It has to be the worst film genre by quite some distance.
La La Land isn't really a musical, it's a Gosling/Stone romcom masquerading as one with tacked on uninspiring musical segments.

Musical is a great genre if you stay away from most of the post-1950's stuff.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
La La Land isn't really a musical, it's a Gosling/Stone romcom masquerading as one with tacked on uninspiring musical segments.

:lol: The crazy thing is that you're serious.

I don't think I've watched a pre 1950 film in my entire life. How many people had televisions back then? Must have only been a handful.

caid

There was an irish language station that used to play old movies every lunchtime, so i've watched dozens. I presume the copyright on them had passed or something. It was a good alternative to Murder She Wrote. He's lying though, music was pretty fecking woeful in the musicals. If you hate the modern ones you'll hate the old ones.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Complete horse shit. Straight Outta Compton is a great musical!

Notorious

Black Swan (2010)

Natalie Portman is great but I feel like her performance and the music elevate what is fairly mediocre material. Black Swan starts out alright but I had lost interest before the end, much of the dialogue felt like quick exchanges just to move the plot forward. I was expecting something with a bit more substance...to be fair though I have no interest in ballet so anyone who does will likely enjoy it more. 5/10

Stand by Me (1986)

I'm sure a lot of us can relate to Stand By Me in someway, I've always thought it was a good film but not as great as some people make out. One bit I don't like is when it goes back in time and shows Gordie and his older brother at the dinner table, this scene kinda felt emotionally manipulative and unrealistic. Also how is it possible to get so many leeches on you in the water with all your clothes on. Good performances, particularly Corey Feldman. 6.5/10

The Jewel of the Nile (1985)

When I rewatched Romancing the Stone a few years ago I found it to be pretty average overall but it was at least good for the first 45 minutes or so, I could barely remember this sequel and now I know why. The first 15 minutes are alright but after that it's just one long boring slog to the end with just a couple of funny moments to break the tedium, even the action is crap. I know these movies get compared to Indiana Jones but this completely rips it off... 3/10

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Aquaman
I really liked it, but as with Venom, I got the feeling that the story was told too quickly. It hardly gives time to know the characters or enjoy the different worlds.
Nice locations and photography, many colors, perhaps too many.Too fast battles, which become a mob in the midst of explosions. 8/10

The Meg
I expected something different, with more tension. I thought it was too fanciful (even for a movie about a megalodon). It´s John Statham in an animated film. There are underwater vehicles that look like Ferraris. 4/10

Tarrou

The Old Man and the Gun a bit meh really.. on paper the trio of Redford, Glover and Waits sounds great but it bored me to tears

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I've read that last part ten times and I still don't know what you mean, Vato. What does the lack of televisions have to do with anything?
Dunno, just saying for who were they even making films back then? I can't bring myself down to watch films from so long ago for some reason.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Bad Times At The El Royale
A group of strangers with dark secrets all check into the same hotel. Very fun movie with great performances from a stellar ensemble. Was intrigued their throughout and never felt too long despite the 2.5 hours run time. Would have been in my top 10 of 2018 had I seen it earlier 8.5/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
:lol: The crazy thing is that you're serious.

I don't think I've watched a pre 1950 film in my entire life. How many people had televisions back then? Must have only been a handful.
I've watched Casablanca (1942). It was surprisingly 'accessible', as in there wasn't really any notable difference in the dialogues compared to today. I was actually surprised how casual they talked about Nazis and this was in 1942! It was actually quite fascinating.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I've watched Casablanca (1942). It was surprisingly 'accessible', as in there wasn't really any notable difference in the dialogues compared to today. I was actually surprised how casual they talked about Nazis and this was in 1942! It was actually quite fascinating.
Never watched it. Was it as good as they say it is or is it hugely overrated?

The oldest film I've seen was Brazil which was recommended to me on here but I just can't seem to enjoy older films anymore lately. The shit acting and accordingly bad "special effects" seem to take me out of it somehow.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

The oldest film I've seen was Brazil which was recommended to me on here but I just can't seem to enjoy older films anymore lately. The shit acting and accordingly bad "special effects" seem to take me out of it somehow.
I can't say Casablanca awed me. It was an 'interesting' watch more than 'enjoyable', simply because I found it fascinating to look at something that was directed during World War fecking 2. But the movie itself isn't really special or anything IMO. A few great one-liners and an average romance-plot.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I just tried to watch La La Land and remembered how much I hate musicals. It has to be the worst film genre by quite some distance.
Nah, superhero movies are still worse because you cannot avoid them at the moment. I hardly hear about any musicals tbf, but superhero movies are everywhere, and people pretend they are good even when they fail all the hype(which is 99/100 times).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

You never caught It's A Wonderful Life or The Wizard of Oz around Christmas time?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It was early in the war from a US perspective. I'm not sure that Hollywood knew what atrocities they were committing yet.
The Final Solution meeting wasn't until early '42 and I doubt that it was in the public domain yet.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
You never caught It's A Wonderful Life or The Wizard of Oz around Christmas time?
Not really, no. I saw the wizard of oz as a kid but don't remember how I rated it back then.

I don't have time to watch kid films anymore. Life is short dude

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Nah, superhero movies are still worse because you cannot avoid them at the moment. I hardly hear about any musicals tbf, but superhero movies are everywhere, and people pretend they are good even when they fail all the hype(which is 99/100 times).
I'm going to produce a superhero musical just for you, Amar

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
What about Scorsese or Coppola's 70s films? Godfather 1 and 2, Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now?
Godfathers are good indeed. Taxi Driver is a bit overrated imo and I don't think I saw the other two. At least I don't think I did. Should I watch it? I like war movies.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh I thought you said the oldest film you’d seen was Brazil.
Oh no, I meant the oldest film I've seen these last couple of years. I've seen Ben Hur, Gone with the wind and some other very old films when I was a kid. Altough I don't remember much about them tbh.

But back then you didn't have the overwhelming choice in films like we have today. These days when I decide to watch a film from a few decades ago I'm always disappointed. Had this recently with 2001 and Brazil.

Apocalypse Now isn't on Netflix but Mean Streets is, so I'll give it a shot.

caid

Apocalypse Now is probably the best war movie. So yeah ... its worth a watch.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Anyone has seen the new Robin Hood movie?

Online reviews are mostly bad, but they are all from some middle aged film nerds who dissed the second Kingsman movie as well and I loved that so am looking for some other opinions

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I wouldn't say Apocalypse Now is a must. It's good, but it also kind of drags for a while IMO.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Anyone has seen the new Robin Hood movie?

Online reviews are mostly bad, but they are all from some middle aged film nerds who dissed the second Kingsman movie as well and I loved that so am looking for some other opinions
Its aggressively mediocre and directionless and not worth yours or anyone else's time.

I disliked both Kingsman movies but did not hate them and can see why they work for some people, Robin Hood will not work for anybody who isn't a masochists.