Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Tomorrow Pleasent enough feel good film with lots of Beatkes songs. Don't expect anything else and you will enjoy it on a tired Friday night. Shame they didn't do more with the idea but they didn't. 7/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Toy Story 2
Not sure why I didnt enjoy this as much the first time around, maybe because of Jessie, who's fecking annoying but loved it on a second watch 8/10

Member 39557

Holmes and Watson:

I like some Will Ferrell comedies.
Old School, Anchorman, Step Brothers and his cameo in The Wedding Crashers are all great fun. Some people find his particular brand of comedy (often acting like a stupid manchild) annoying or stupid and I get that.
This film isn't funny, it's often stupid but not in a way that's commited enough to amuse, annoy or entertain. I watched it through to the end because it wasn't capable of stirring enough of a response from me to think about turning it off.
It's bland nonsense.

Highlights include a couple of half decent parodies of the Tony Stark Sherlock films where he analyses things in a split second and it's all shown on screen with diagrams and his internal monologue. Then there's Billy Zane in a cameo as himself, making it the third time I've seen him play himself in a film. I've also seen Neil Patrick Harris play himself 3 times, so that's nice.

Don't watch this film.

Ever.

AaronRedDevil

Just finished watching Troy (2004) 5/10

Decent movie, good action. I really miss epics, there's none of them being made today. Brad Pitt was trying everything to look good in it, even when he isn't trying. A rare movie where Sean Bean doesn't die in. The writing was very basic. I got PTSD when I saw who did the sceenplay, that bas***d David Benioff. Which if you compare some scenes. They are almost shot for shot identical with GoT.

I know it's based on real events but there was some dumb shit in that movie. Dragging the horse in the base, actually going out to fight Achilles rather then shooting his ass full of arrows and the war is over. Imagine thousands of soldiers dying over some woman. I would have hogtied my brother and Helen right out the front gate.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Annihilation

An extremely poor man's Stalker. I've known hamsters with more charisma than Natalie Portman.

6/10

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Hands of stone

Biopic about the story of the great boxer Roberto Duran. Really enjoyed this film as it gave a great insight as to what made Duran the fighter he was. Also covered the 2 legendary fights he had with Sugar Ray Leonard very well too.

fergiesarmy1

Holmes and Watson:

I like some Will Ferrell comedies.
Old School, Anchorman, Step Brothers and his cameo in The Wedding Crashers are all great fun. Some people find his particular brand of comedy (often acting like a stupid manchild) annoying or stupid and I get that.
This film isn't funny, it's often stupid but not in a way that's commited enough to amuse, annoy or entertain. I watched it through to the end because it wasn't capable of stirring enough of a response from me to think about turning it off.
It's bland nonsense.

Highlights include a couple of half decent parodies of the Tony Stark Sherlock films where he analyses things in a split second and it's all shown on screen with diagrams and his internal monologue. Then there's Billy Zane in a cameo as himself, making it the third time I've seen him play himself in a film. I've also seen Neil Patrick Harris play himself 3 times, so that's nice.

Don't watch this film.

Ever.
Same I like some of his, turned off after 10 minutes of that garbage.

Oldyella

Dunkirk

9/10 Gorgeous visuals and sound and while the script was light I was constantly gripped. Wish I had watched this on a big screen just for the visuals and zimmer soundtrack.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Overlord was disappointing. It took ages to get going and there really wasn't that much horror in it. I also like my nazis like the ones in the original Hellboy. These ones just weren't dastardly enough.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hell or High Water (2016)

As kindly recommended by @Invictus :)
Hell or High Water follows two brothers (Chris Pine and Ben Foster) who carry out a series of bank robberies to save their family ranch, while being pursued by two Texas Rangers (Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham).
Crackng film. Wish it was a series. Between movies like this & similar films/tv shows, it seems to me that the South has hardly changed since frontier days - a dead, arid and barren land where humans are born outcast, strangers in their own land. They're unwelcome, permanent guests.

Great acting all-round.

9/10

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Gene Tierney was an absolute savage in this. There was a nice subtle comedic aloofness to her performance and of course she was just unbearably gorgeous, distractingly so. The movie was okay, I guess.

Dance of the Seven Veils - Hitler doing cartwheels and sitting on the shoudlers of Richard Strauss playing the violin. Just Ken Russell things.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Predator (2018)

Missed this first time round at the cinema, so when it landed on Sky Cinema, I clicked play with a moderate degree of anticipation. What unfolded before my eyes though was an absolute mess of a film. They had 8 years from the damn awful Predators to put things right and give the public what they've been hankering for since 1987. When I heard that Shane Black was helming the movie, I was quietly optimistic that he would deliver.

However, what he did was produce an incoherent mess of a film that looked like it had been lazily and hastily cobbled together. The references to the original were just cringeworthy. Every single one of the actors were grossly mis-cast. The story, if you can call it that was garbage, convoluted and just didn't make any sense. The dialogue was awful. What should have been intense action scenes were ruined by nauseating characters and humour that was completely unnecessary and seemed forced. What made the earlier Predator movies so engaging were the giant actors in that really impressive Predator garb. So to resort to ropey CGI was just a step too far, though I understand the logistics of having to do so.

I will say though that some of the action scenes and the Predator tech were pretty cool. But this wasn't enough to save a film that had so much potential but ended up being a big pile of poop. Black uses the original Predator music to take us back to the Arnie classic, but the sweaty claustrophobic jungle setting, the perfectly cast army unit with that great chemistry, the simple cat-and-mouse dynamic that made that film so great could not even be replicated to any extent....try as he might.

Beset by questionable decision-making in the editing of this film, you're constantly forced to fill in the blanks several times. I'm guessing a lot was left on the cutting room floor and may make it into a Director's Cut or something later down the line. Whether Black has done enough for the franchise to warrant another costly instalment as the ending suggests is up for debate. You can see parallels with the Alien franchise but I don't think it's as resilient. Black had big plans to re-vitalize the Predator series and will need to do a lot better if he is to succeed.

I'm giving this a 4/10.

caid

Overlord was disappointing. It took ages to get going and there really wasn't that much horror in it. I also like my nazis like the ones in the original Hellboy. These ones just weren't dastardly enough.
That felt like it was a fairly straight ww2 movie then a different director got dropped in to film the last 30 mins and decided to throw in zombies for shits and giggles.

pauldyson1uk

Spider Man Far from Home

Must be honest was it expecting any great shakes from this, but I enjoyed it.
Did not mind all the Iron Man references, while Spidey is not going to be Iron Man, I think he makes a great substitute.
This is the best Spider Man for me , acting was good , story was good , the end fight was very good.
Zendaya, Jake Gyllenhaal Jacob Batalon, Jon Favreau and all the other actors play their characters well, Tom Holland as Peter Parker , excellent.
This for me is definitely one of the better MCU films.
Loved the end clip with the throwback to the original cartoon Spidey.

9/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Top Gun - like a lot of the 80s films which persist in the pop culture memory, it's a lot more boring than I remember. The access the filmmakers were given by the Navy is sort of impressive but also severely limited by the technology of the day so a lot of the dogfight shots are just two planes shooting across an empty sky. Still has its moments, and its intense homoeroticism is almost endearing.

A Few Good Men - the scenes with Nicholson are absolutely electric and often very funny. The ones without him are completely boilerplate, if a bit more coked up than your usual procedural. I'm of the opinion that Sorkin only works when those handling his scripts are absolutely top notch, like Nicholson, or a filmmaker like Fincher. Otherwise it's insufferable and quite dumb.

It's interesting that Top Gun is often dismissed as propaganda, which it is, if you have a pretty low opinion of the navy, but A Few Good Men sucks the cock of the US military with far more zeal, like a lot of Sorkin's work.

Dante

Average bang
Yesterday
Some bloke wakes up in paradise world where the The Beatles had never existed. Then he proceeds to feck everything up by playing Beatles songs like a fecking scouser.

As far as horror goes, it's not the worst movie in the world. And Lily James might be the most attractive woman on the planet.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Started rewatching The Firm on the bus earlier. There's an insane amount of jazzy piano in the opening 20mns. Also The devil's advocate beginning is a copy paste of this. Also Cruise was already so Cruisey.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
The Predator (2018)

Missed this first time round at the cinema, so when it landed on Sky Cinema, I clicked play with a moderate degree of anticipation. What unfolded before my eyes though was an absolute mess of a film. They had 8 years from the damn awful Predators to put things right and give the public what they've been hankering for since 1987. When I heard that Shane Black was helming the movie, I was quietly optimistic that he would deliver.

However, what he did was produce an incoherent mess of a film that looked like it had been lazily and hastily cobbled together. The references to the original were just cringeworthy. Every single one of the actors were grossly mis-cast. The story, if you can call it that was garbage, convoluted and just didn't make any sense. The dialogue was awful. What should have been intense action scenes were ruined by nauseating characters and humour that was completely unnecessary and seemed forced. What made the earlier Predator movies so engaging were the giant actors in that really impressive Predator garb. So to resort to ropey CGI was just a step too far, though I understand the logistics of having to do so.

I will say though that some of the action scenes and the Predator tech were pretty cool. But this wasn't enough to save a film that had so much potential but ended up being a big pile of poop. Black uses the original Predator music to take us back to the Arnie classic, but the sweaty claustrophobic jungle setting, the perfectly cast army unit with that great chemistry, the simple cat-and-mouse dynamic that made that film so great could not even be replicated to any extent....try as he might.

Beset by questionable decision-making in the editing of this film, you're constantly forced to fill in the blanks several times. I'm guessing a lot was left on the cutting room floor and may make it into a Director's Cut or something later down the line. Whether Black has done enough for the franchise to warrant another costly instalment as the ending suggests is up for debate. You can see parallels with the Alien franchise but I don't think it's as resilient. Black had big plans to re-vitalize the Predator series and will need to do a lot better if he is to succeed.

I'm giving this a 4/10.
Really poorly edited film this. Still not over that scene where Keegan-Michael Key disappears out of the film for 15 minutes and then turns up out of nowhere with a fully functioning helicopter. :lol: It's never explained where he goes, it's never explained how he gets it, and it's never explained how he flies it, he just turns up with it and that's that. Bad film.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Really poorly edited film this. Still not over that scene where Keegan-Michael Key disappears out of the film for 15 minutes and then turns up out of nowhere with a fully functioning helicopter. :lol: It's never explained where he goes, it's never explained how he gets it, and it's never explained how he flies it, he just turns up with it and that's that. Bad film.
:lol: Yeah and how that kid is suddenly able to operate the Predator tech, how the female scientist appears out of nowhere, the dog in the park, the alien dogs....I could go on. It was very bad. The scene when they first meet in the prison truck was just so bad!

AaronRedDevil

:lol: Yeah and how that kid is suddenly able to operate the Predator tech, how the female scientist appears out of nowhere, the dog in the park, the alien dogs....I could go on. It was very bad. The scene when they first meet in the prison truck was just so bad!
Fecking hate the Predator(2018). Turned a vicious scary killing machine into a bloody joke. Knew this movie was gonna flop the second I heard they cast a kid and knew they wouldn't have the balls to get shanked by him. Hated what they did to Thomas jane(guy who played they freaking movie punisher). Could have been a badass instead turned him into a stuttering moron. Just so much wrong with that movie. And that "thumbs up" scene. Ugh!

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Fecking hate the Predator(2018). Turned a vicious scary killing machine into a bloody joke. Knew this movie was gonna flop the second I heard they cast a kid and knew they would have the balls to get shanked by him. Hated what they did to Thomas jane(guy who played they freaking movie punisher). Could have been a badass instead turned him into a stuttering moron. Just so much wrong with that movie. And that "thumbs up" scene. Ugh!
Yeah they had the chance to make a dark, intense, graphic movie ad they absolutely ruined it. Jane couldn't even do the Tourettes thing properly. It was embarrassing. The jokes were appalling. Bad, bad film.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Yeah they had the chance to make a dark, intense, graphic movie ad they absolutely ruined it. Jane couldn't even do the Tourettes thing properly. It was embarrassing. The jokes were appalling. Bad, bad film.
Seems the film Shane Black wanted to make was just taken over by committee thinking in the end. This is from an interview with Fred Dekker:
Shane storyboarded it. And we had a pre-viz and animatics and it was I think a really cool idea. At some point or another, the studio, I think, and I’m not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but there were these misgivings that we were straying too far from what people expected the movie to be. And so we sat down and went, “I guess we need to do a hunt and it needs to be at night, so it’s scarier.” So we ended up going in that direction, which I don’t think served us because it didn’t top anything we’d seen before. I’m actually quite pleased with the first half of the movie, but it kind of goes off the rails. Hollywood does this all the time - by trying to appeal to everyone, you appeal to no one.

Member 39557

The Predator made Holmes and Watson look like a good film.
They completely fecked it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Toy Story 4 Not terrible but the law of diminishing returns has well and truly set in. #3 was a bit pointless and this even more so. 6/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Parasite
A poor family conceals their identity and every member begin work for a rich family under a disguise but eventually run into an unexpected predicament. Truly fantastic movie. Funny, tense, great acting, solid social commentary, clever symbolism, unexpected twists and turns... Was just a really, really good movie. Some characters did a few things that seemed odd but it may be a culture thing that I didn't get. I think this is the best film I've seen this year 9/10