Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

caid

Didn't they decide to film Pearl almost on a whim after finishing X. I liked both, Pearl was a much better film. X was pretty solid but i wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Bad Boy Bubby

Aussie cult classic, that's funny, strange and at times sad. A kid grows up into an adult abused and kept inside by his mother, who tells him he'll be poisoned if he goes outside. When he does get out, he gets into all kind of scrapes, only really having the repertoire of inappropriate phrases he's learnt. There are a few odd twists along the way and the treatment of the cat in the opening scenes is genuinely disturbing, but it's well worth a watch. Excellent performance from Nicholas Hope as Bubby.

7/10

Wing Attack Plan R

I had all kind of dreams last night after watching it, so I would say it definitely left something on me. But as Wibble say, it had so many poor bits, and there is something about Netflix movies and TV shows that's just weird, and I can't describe it.
Yep, was gonna say this. Also, Netflix prefers films being longer, they apparently encourage it as it helps with their metrics.
Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon appears to be the poster child for this syndrome.

Rebel Moon – Part One: A Child of Fire review – Zack Snyder’s Netflix disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/dec/15/rebel-moon-review-zack-snyder-netflix

Sweet Square

And it only cost netflix 130 million dollars.
It seem like they might be trying to recreate the Snyder cut hype thus releasing a very shite version of the film to critics.

Also didn’t Godzilla Minus One cost like $15 million. I swear Netflix is partly a money laundering scheme.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

It seem like they might be trying to recreate the Snyder cut hype thus releasing a very shite version of the film to critics.

Also didn’t Godzilla Minus One cost like $15 million. I swear Netflix is partly a money laundering scheme.
That whole Zack Snyder Directirs Cut of Justice league thing was so weird and just proves how weird the internet can be. A shite film that supposedly had a 4 hour genius cut the studio didn’t have the balls to release - and it turned out to be just as bad, only longer. The equivalent of having a shit sandwich and then campaigning to be given an even bigger shit sandwich. Meanwhile, Snyder is laughing all the way to the bank and hasnt made a good movie in 20 years.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Beatrice Straight holds the record for Network
Wow, 5:40 seconds!

“For example, Beatrice Straight won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1976 for her performance in the film "Network." According to Time, her screen time measured a minuscule five minutes and 40 seconds long. But even though the scene was short, it packed a punch.

In the scene, Straight is told by her on-screen husband, played by William Holden, that he is having an affair with a much younger woman. Straight responds with a nearly four-minute soliloquy that covers emotions ranging from betrayal to anger to resentment — and critics and audiences alike felt like she nailed the delivery. In fact, film review website The Dissolve called the five-minute speech "one of the most astounding concentrated efforts of all time" that would "make many desert-island lists."

Read More: https://www.grunge.com/893342/beatr...r-despite-only-being-on-screen-for-5-minutes/

Sweet Square

That whole Zack Snyder Directirs Cut of Justice league thing was so weird and just proves how weird the internet can be. A shite film that supposedly had a 4 hour genius cut the studio didn’t have the balls to release - and it turned out to be just as bad, only longer. The equivalent of having a shit sandwich and then campaigning to be given an even bigger shit sandwich. Meanwhile, Snyder is laughing all the way to the bank and hasnt made a good movie in 20 years.
Yep it was almost like the original release was so terrible that it made director cut more in demand. And then when it came out the hype instantly died. I don’t remember anyone make the argument that the DC was much better.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Just rewatched The Bourne Identity.

I'd somehow forgotten that he dives around 10 storeys down the middle of a spiral staircase, pushing a fat guy in front of him to break his fall at the bottom.

Also, this (ignore the text):

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Just rewatched The Bourne Identity.

I'd somehow forgotten that he dives around 10 storeys down the middle of a spiral staircase, pushing a fat guy in front of him to break his fall at the bottom.

Also, this (ignore the text):
That staircase bit looks so superimposed and awful too. I rewatched it too a while back and had forgotten how much they speed up the fight scenes. They're still good, entertaining films though.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
That staircase bit looks so superimposed and awful too. I rewatched it too a while back and had forgotten how much they speed up the fight scenes. They're still good, entertaining films though.
Doug Liman has directed some stellar flicks.

Can't believe he's remaking Road House next!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Wish
I actually enjoyed this. Some good songs, a good villain and a decent theme that was explored. Pays homage to nanny classics on Disney's 100 years. I had a fun time 7/10

Indiana Jones: Dial Of Destiny

After the strange opening scene with a digitally de-aged Ford, this turns into a fun action adventure film where you can just switch your brain off and enjoy. The final act became a bit too silly but the movie overall has the energy of what an Indy movie should have and it's a better send off than that awful crap Crystal Skull 7/10

Sweet Square

@Rooney in Paris

Skip the first 20 minutes as it has Ferrari spoilers but for about 10 minutes Mann is talking about Miami Vice. There are other episodes of Miami Vice which are pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. The film has a lot of trouble finding it's tone: there are in the bits where it's a teenage adventure movie (that's fun), but the first half hour is more like a drab family drama, then there's bits of gore and serious suspense, and more generally the film is kinda drawn out (the proper Ghostbusters bit only really got going in the last third or so).

Some of the Ghostbusters references are fun (and yes, I really like the old films and have seen them both a few times), but I feel it's a little much. Especially basically repeating the story of the first film in a midwest setting (same Gozer, some monsters, same temple, same dude that built the temple, Slimer resurrected as Muncher) I thought was just really quite lame.

There are also giant plot holes, like why did Egon Spengler never even call his daughter, and why is all that forgiven just because he had some photos of her and shows up as a ghost to fight Gozer?. That sort of thing shouldn't matter in a silly fantasy film like Ghostbusters, but while the first films managed to get away with it, I thought this one really didn't.

So I feel the film kinda got stuck in the wrong spot between trying to be a kind of homage to or nostalgic midwest version of Ghostbusters 1, and trying to start something new. 5/10

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

I watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. The film has a lot of trouble finding it's tone: there are in the bits where it's a teenage adventure movie (that's fun), but the first half hour is more like a drab family drama, then there's bits of gore and serious suspense, and more generally the film is kinda drawn out (the proper Ghostbusters bit only really got going in the last third or so).

Some of the Ghostbusters references are fun (and yes, I really like the old films and seen them both a few times), but I feel it's a little much. Especially basically repeating the story of the first film in a midwest setting (same Gozer, some monsters, same temple, same dude that built the temple, Slimer resurrected as Muncher) I thought was just really quite lame.

There are also giant plot holes, like why did Egon Spengler never even call his daughter, and why is all that forgiven just because he had some photos of her and shows up as a ghost to fight Gozer?. That sort of thing shouldn't matter in a silly fantasy film like Ghostbusters, but while the first films managed to get away with it, I thought this one really didn't.

So I feel the film kinda got stuck in the wrong spot between trying to be a kind of homage to or nostalgic midwest version of Ghostbusters 1, and trying to start something new. 5/10
Why do the rights holders of Ghostbusters insist on trying to reinvent the wheel? It's a really straightforward premise: some science nerds bust ghosts/aliens. It seems almost impossible to feck up, yet the last two stabs have been abysmal.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
@Rooney in Paris

Skip the first 20 minutes as it has Ferrari spoilers but for about 10 minutes Mann is talking about Miami Vice. There are other episodes of Miami Vice which are pretty interesting.
Excellent, need to watch this! Interestingly I rewatched The Insider this weekend, and while it's not got the level of abstract that his more recent stuff has, it's still such a great film. Much more linear, conventional narrative structure, which some of the vibey stuff (the conversation on the phone where Pacino is in the ocean is absolutely gorgeous), it all works brilliantly. Pacino and Crowe are both excellent, and there's a host of supporting acts (Philip Baker-Hall, Christopher Plummer, Michael Gambon, Bruce McGill...) that are all great. As is often an issue with his films, the female parts are a bit shit, but c'est la vie.

Sweet Square

Excellent, need to watch this! Interestingly I rewatched The Insider this weekend, and while it's not got the level of abstract that his more recent stuff has, it's still such a great film. Much more linear, conventional narrative structure, which some of the vibey stuff (the conversation on the phone where Pacino is in the ocean is absolutely gorgeous), it all works brilliantly. Pacino and Crowe are both excellent, and there's a host of supporting acts (Philip Baker-Hall, Christopher Plummer, Michael Gambon, Bruce McGill...) that are all great.
Nice. I will have to give this one a watch again. There’s about 5 Mann films(Thief, Manhunter, Heat, Miami Vice and Collateral) I tend to repeat over and over again that I forget his other works.

Mann seems incredibly proud of his Ali film. Which I’ve only seen bits and pieces of.

As is often an issue with his films, the female parts are a bit shit, but c'est la vie.
Heat comes to my mind as his shittest female roles. A part from Ashley Judd character all the other women are awful. So in love that mass murder is fine or a mega bitch who can’t be arsed looking after her own kid.

Imo Gong Li in Miami Vice as the drug lord business woman/wife is maybe Mann best and most interesting female character. From the reviews Penélope Cruz is supposed to be incredibly in Ferrari.

Paywalled :(.
Excellent, need to watch this! Interestingly I rewatched The Insider this weekend, and while it's not got the level of abstract that his more recent stuff has, it's still such a great film. Much more linear, conventional narrative structure, which some of the vibey stuff (the conversation on the phone where Pacino is in the ocean is absolutely gorgeous), it all works brilliantly. Pacino and Crowe are both excellent, and there's a host of supporting acts (Philip Baker-Hall, Christopher Plummer, Michael Gambon, Bruce McGill...) that are all great.
Nice. I will have to give this one a watch again. There’s about 5 Mann films(Thief, Manhunter, Heat, Miami Vice and Collateral) I tend to repeat over and over again that I forget his other works.

Mann seems incredibly proud of his Ali film. Which I’ve only seen bits and pieces of.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Heat comes to my mind as his shittest female roles. A part from Ashley Judd character all the other women are awful. So in love that mass murder is fine or a mega bitch who can’t be arsed looking after her own kid.

Imo Gong Li in Miami Vice as the drug lord business woman/wife is maybe Mann best and most interesting female character. From the reviews Penélope Cruz is supposed to be incredibly in Ferrari.
I need to rewatch Thief and Manhunter, haven't seen them in ages. Strongly recommend The Insider, I feel it holds up super well. Ali... I find it hard to entirely view it as a Mann film. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent film with some very strong moments, and it's one of the few Will Smith performances I actually appreciate, and thanks to Mann it slightly elevates itself above the usual biopic genre and its tropes... but I still struggle to see it totally as a piece of his overall work.

Agree with you with regards to Gong Li, her role in Miami Vice is simple, straight to the point, fits in well with the overall universe he creates, her motivations make sense... It just works. Russell Crowe's wife in The Insider, while not being a particularly poor performance (not particularly strong either), is just very annoying.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Indiana Jones: Dial Of Destiny
After the strange opening scene with a digitally de-aged Ford, this turns into a fun action adventure film where you can just switch your brain off and enjoy. The final act became a bit too silly but the movie overall has the energy of what an Indy movie should have and it's a better send off than that awful crap Crystal Skull 7/10
That’s not saying much though? Thought DoD was awful... ”what have we done in a previous Indy? … great, do that again”.

2/10.… sorry :)

caid

I kind of hated the new indiana jones. More because it felt like an advert for everything shit about modern movies than because it was bad (middle section was solid ish). Just absolutely riddled with cgi everywhere that was a bit ropy and crap so it always stuck out and was distracting. The script was basically frankensteined together from lines from previous films just crowbarring them in everywhere. They drag characters back from 40 years ago so they can have a 2 minute scene giving their life story because we're all desperate to know what salah has been up to (desperate enough that i have to google his name 2 days after watching it and after watching the old films about 5000 times).