Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Beekeeper
Jason Statham, a former anonymous social ops member, comes out of retirement to take down a corrupt company who scam his elderly carer, who goes on to commit suicide. A dumb but fun action movie and Stath is great in the action scenes but whereas movies like John Wick are compelling because Keanu always feels like he is on the brink of defeat, this just had Statham use the infinite life cheat and blitzes through every obstacle 6/10

In The Heights

Musical about a neighborhood in Washington Heights who dream of a better future. Whilst there were some stunning scenes and the songs are okay for the most part, it feels overly edited and the choreography is messy. The songs never hit the heights I expected (no pun intended). Also just waaay too long 5.5/10

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

This was better than I thought it would be with some interesting thematic narratives and decent action. Wish it was 30 minutes shorter bit overall, it was much more fun than I expected 6/10

Wing Attack Plan R

From the bus trip to the ending in the restaurant its all very bleak. The main character is struck in a endless repeating cycle. I guess the positive is in real life she did get clean.

Its for me the Safdie brothers best film as it really highlights what makes them stand out of as film makers - uses of non actors, obscure internet references, documentary style filming and interesting soundtrack. Although my favourite will always be Uncut Gems mostly because I think Howard is just a very cool/talented guy and a great dad. He didn’t do anything wrong!
Agree with you, Uncut Gems is a masterpiece. I have only seen it once but it was intense and gripping, the level of anxiety was off the charts, and Sandler was robbed of an Oscar.

Wing Attack Plan R

The Beekeeper
Jason Statham, a former anonymous social ops member, comes out of retirement to take down a corrupt company who scam his elderly carer, who goes on to commit suicide. A dumb but fun action movie and Stath is great in the action scenes but whereas movies like John Wick are compelling because Keanu always feels like he is on the brink of defeat, this just had Statham use the infinite life cheat and blitzes through every obstacle 6/10
“Social ops” - I think you just invented an exciting new genre.

redcucumber

Holdovers was a cartoon wannabe Hal Ashby movie. Everything about it wanted a 1971 veracity, but almost to a pathological, obsessive level. I'm still annoyed by the two main characters. The kid was about 26 and did not fit the role at all, and Giamatti was a total cartoon, just ridiculous.

Can't decide which one I dislike more out of Holdovers and Maestro. Both were better made films, the skill was higher than Barbie, but I didn't like those movies. The craft was exceptional but the experience of sitting through those movies was a fecking chore (like reading my comments).
Jeeez, mental take in my opinion. Personally thought Payne nailed it with The Holdovers - really watchable and the acting of Randolph, Sessa, and Giammati was excellent. It's Paul Giammati ffs! Soundtrack was great, too. Much better and more consistent than Barbie for my money.

Sweet Square

Agree with you, Uncut Gems is a masterpiece. I have only seen it once but it was intense and gripping, the level of anxiety was off the charts, and Sandler was robbed of an Oscar.
Sandler was incredibly in it and should have won every award.

How you seen the original Bad Lieutenant by Abel Ferrara ? It’s very similar to Uncut Gems but for Catholics.

Wing Attack Plan R

Jeeez, mental take in my opinion. Personally thought Payne nailed it with The Holdovers - really watchable and the acting of Randolph, Sessa, and Giammati was excellent. It's Paul Giammati ffs! Soundtrack was great, too. Much better and more consistent than Barbie for my money.
You’ll love Hal Ashby, then. I love those movies too, but if you haven’t seen his work, you are going to be surprised at how derivative Payne is.

Wing Attack Plan R

redcucumber

You’ll love Hal Ashby, then. I love those movies too, but if you haven’t seen his work, you are going to be surprised at how derivative Payne is.
I like Payne! Election, Sideways and The Holdovers were all wicked. Nebraska didn't stick with me the same but it was still a decent watch. I'll watch some Hal Ashby though for sure. I actually started the Navy one with Jack Nicholson a few months ago but didn't get chance to properly watch it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
From the bus trip to the ending in the restaurant its all very bleak. The main character is struck in a endless repeating cycle. I guess the positive is in real life she did get clean.

Its for me the Safdie brothers best film as it really highlights what makes them stand out of as film makers - uses of non actors, obscure internet references, documentary style filming and interesting soundtrack. Although my favourite will always be Uncut Gems mostly because I think Howard is just a very cool/talented guy and a great dad. He didn’t do anything wrong!
I think it's one of those films where everything is just too goddamn bleak for me to really enjoy it - I appreciate the work and the rawness of it, and I think it's great, but I also would never watch it again. I've watched Uncut Gems 3 times already and it'll be one I'll rewatch from time to time I'm sure, I absolutely love the madness of the film. It's exhilarating and exhausting, and Sandler is incredible.

Somewhat unrelated, but I should probably rewatch Punch Drunk Love some time - it's the film that showed me Sandler actually could act, if he cared enough.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Saw La Bonheur earlier today. While I certainly can appreciate the techincal aspects of the movie making from this period, I can't help but feel that a lot of these movies are dated. This certainly is that way, the characters generally quite unlikeable so it is hard to really care much about what happens. I will say that this branch of French cinema is something I really don't care for (remember watching Hiroshima Mon Amour in film school, few times I have actively disliked a movie as much as that one). 5/10
I had never heard of this and had to look it up. 1965 French New Wave, I see. What in particular did you think was outdated about it?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I watched White Noise yesterday, Noah Baumbach's 2022 absurdist drama, featuring Adam Driver, Greta Gerwig, and Don Cheadle. Driver plays a college prof with a large and loud family (Gerwig is his wife, Cheadle another prof) in some small US town. The first half of the family is a kind of disaster film (a toxic cloud threatens their town after a train-truck collision), but then the film turns into a sort of psychological drama - to finish off with a Bollywood-style (well, nowhere near Bollywood's level of choreography) supermarket dance.

I'm not a fan. The first half actually moves along well enough, with lots of (weird) humour, asides, and various points that are being developed. It's not great, but there is a lot to like, and there is some sense and coherence. However, the switch to the psychological drama made the film fall completely flat to me. In particular, there is a 20 minute (or so) conversation between Driver and Gerwig that I suppose is meant to be a key part of the film (given its length), but to me seems largely trite and overthought, in whch the characters become (flat) concepts and every line becomes a (boring) declamation. The hospital scene is interesting again, but the film had lost me by then, and I missed the thematic connection with everything else (apart from the pretty obvious surface stuff that's said out loud).

I read afterwards that the film is based on a 1985 novel of the same name by Don DeLillo - of which I had never heard. Reading some reviews, it seems to me that knowing the novel (which does seem interesting) would help significantly, as you can then see how all the asides and bits and pieces fit the overall themes and direction of the story. But I didn't, and a film must be able to stand alone. As it is, I mostly agreed wit the way the Ecce PoMo – Artforum (link) review thrashed the film (e.g., how the juxtaposition of Elvis, Hitler, and the train crash is semantic gibberish) and couldn't very well see the qualities discussed in the 5/5 review from The Guardian (link). 2/5

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

I watched White Noise yesterday, Noah Baumbach's 2022 absurdist drama, featuring Adam Driver, Greta Gerwig, and Don Cheadle. Driver plays a college prof with a large and loud family (Gerwig is his wife, Cheadle another prof) in some small US town. The first half of the family is a kind of disaster film (a toxic cloud threatens their town after a train-truck collision), but then the film turns into a sort of psychological drama - to finish off with a Bollywood-style (well, nowhere near Bollywood's level of choreography) supermarket dance.

I'm not a fan. The first half actually moves along well enough, with lots of (weird) humour, asides, and various points that are being developed. It's not great, but there is a lot to like, and there is some sense and coherence. However, the switch to the psychological drama made the film fall completely flat to me. In particular, there is a 20 minute (or so) conversation between Driver and Gerwig that I suppose is meant to be a key part of the film (given its length), but to me seems largely trite and overthought, in whch the characters become (flat) concepts and every line becomes a (boring) declamation. The hospital scene is interesting again, but the film had lost me by then, and I missed the thematic connection with everything else (apart from the pretty obvious surface stuff that's said out loud.

I read afterwards that the film is based on a 1985 novel of the same name by Don DeLillo - of which I had never heard. Reading some reviews, it seems to me that knowing the novel (which does seem interesting) would help significantly, as you can then see how all asides and bits and pieces fit the overall themes and direction of the story. But I didn't, and a film must be able to stand alone. As it is, I mostly agreed wit the way the Ecce PoMo – Artforum (link) review thrashed the film (e.g., how the juxtaposition of Elvis, Hitler, and the train crash is semantic gibberish) and couldn't very well see the qualities discussed in the review from The Guardian (link). 2/5
I read White Noise a long time ago, and it was exactly the hot mess you describe the film as being. The Hitler professor drops some "interesting" Hitler facts, but the whole thing was trying for something it never achieved, kinda like a Tom Robbins story - and I hate Tom Robbins.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I read White Noise a long time ago, and it was exactly the hot mess you describe the film as being. The Hitler professor drops some "interesting" Hitler facts, but the whole thing was trying for something it never achieved, kinda like a Tom Robbins story - and I hate Tom Robbins.
I have no idea who Tom Robbins is, but I'm betting 'hot mess' is how I'd feel about the book as well. I'm thinking it might be a bit akin to books like Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest, both of which I tried but just couldn't get through. I know those are both supposed to be great books and this obviously says more about me than those books; I just mean that it's a genre (if you can even group them together) that doesn't seem to work for me. So I don't think I'll try White Noise either; but from what I read yesterday, it seems to me like a lot of its themes were quite relevant in mid-80s, but might seem rather obvious now - including a sort of pop culture course on Hitler that's all performance and close to zero insight.

Sweet Square

I have seen it. When Keitel jerks off to the girls in the car, one of the girls was his nanny, to keep it weird. That’s about all I remember.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/81012/13-great-facts-about-bad-lieutenant
:lol:

Had no idea about this. This film shoot seemed insane. Ferrara had no film permits so had to keep running away from the cops and the writer Zoe Lund was a former heroin addict(Sadly she died soon after due to drugs).

I think it's one of those films where everything is just too goddamn bleak for me to really enjoy it - I appreciate the work and the rawness of it, and I think it's great, but I also would never watch it again. I've watched Uncut Gems 3 times already and it'll be one I'll rewatch from time to time I'm sure, I absolutely love the madness of the film. It's exhilarating and exhausting, and Sandler is incredible.
I’ve seen it twice all the way through but every few months I will just binge watch clips.

I love that Sandler character is really fecking good at betting. He clearly has a addiction which is destroying any stable life for himself but he isn’t wrong to have a belief in his betting talents.

Somewhat unrelated, but I should probably rewatch Punch Drunk Love some time - it's the film that showed me Sandler actually could act, if he cared enough.
Yeah it’s shame he is more interested in making bad Netflix comedies with his unfunny friends. Yeah Punch Drunk Love is brilliant. Not to the extreme level but it’s a pretty intense anxious film at times.Sandler great at using built up energy.

Also -

Wing Attack Plan R

:lol:

Had no idea about this. This film shoot seemed insane. Ferrara had no film permits so had to keep running away from the cops and the writer Zoe Lund was a former heroin addict(Sadly she died soon after due to drugs).

I’ve seen it twice all the way through but every few months I will just binge watch clips.

I love that Sandler character is really fecking good at betting. He clearly has a addiction which is destroying any stable life for himself but he isn’t wrong to have a belief in his betting talents.

Yeah it’s shame he is more interested in making bad Netflix comedies with his unfunny friends. Yeah Punch Drunk Love is brilliant. Not to the extreme level but it’s a pretty intense anxious film at times.Sandler great at using built up energy.

Also -
I've never seen Punch Drunk Love, is that clip from that movie? That stunt looks real, like it's really PSH falling roughly 8 feet onto his face. Even if he was wearing pads, his head wasn't covered, pretty crazy stunt.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I've never seen Punch Drunk Love, is that clip from that movie? That stunt looks real, like it's really PSH falling roughly 8 feet onto his face. Even if he was wearing pads, his head wasn't covered, pretty crazy stunt.
I don't remember that particular clip, but the movie is great! Very deadpan and hilarious yet touching.

decorativeed

I like Payne! Election, Sideways and The Holdovers were all wicked. Nebraska didn't stick with me the same but it was still a decent watch. I'll watch some Hal Ashby though for sure. I actually started the Navy one with Jack Nicholson a few months ago but didn't get chance to properly watch it.
The Last Detail? I enjoyed that one, but not as much as Harold and Maude or Being There. Give those a try.

CoopersDream

I had never heard of this and had to look it up. 1965 French New Wave, I see. What in particular did you think was outdated about it?
My issue is more often than not the male characters in these sort of films from the French New Wave (and I guess earlier French films as well). I get that they are intentionally unlikeable jerks and whatnot, but it just doesn't work for me.

I will say though that there's certainly a lot of qualities in the movies as well, they did a lot of really innovative things in different aspects of filmmaking (not least on the techincal side in the French New Wave) which certainly makes them interesting to see at the very least. I just don't like them very much, in general.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
My issue is more often than not the male characters in these sort of films from the French New Wave (and I guess earlier French films as well). I get that they are intentionally unlikeable jerks and whatnot, but it just doesn't work for me.

I will say though that there's certainly a lot of qualities in the movies as well, they did a lot of really innovative things in different aspects of filmmaking (not least on the techincal side in the French New Wave) which certainly makes them interesting to see at the very least. I just don't like them very much, in general.
Ah OK. I have to say I find it usually hard to watch films where everyone is unlikeable.

Technical side - do you mean like experimental stuff, or new techniques that have now become commonplace? The latter tends to be hard to appreciate afterwards, once you're used to it.

CoopersDream

Technical side - do you mean like experimental stuff, or new techniques that have now become commonplace? The latter tends to be hard to appreciate afterwards, once you're used to it.
I would say experimental stuff, but the movement has had a lot of influence on filmmakers since so I guess that falls into both categories. However, the then experimental techinques are often more pronounced in these films so you notice them more clearly.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I would say experimental stuff, but the movement has had a lot of influence on filmmakers since so I guess that falls into both categories. However, the then experimental techinques are often more pronounced in these films so you notice them more clearly.
Yeah, I get what you mean.

Unam333

The Beekeeper

In The Heights

Musical about a neighborhood in Washington Heights who dream of a better future. Whilst there were some stunning scenes and the songs are okay for the most part, it feels overly edited and the choreography is messy. The songs never hit the heights I expected (no pun intended). Also just waaay too long 5.5/10

This was better than I thought it would be with some interesting thematic narratives and decent action. Wish it was 30 minutes shorter bit overall, it was much more fun than I expected 6/10
Bad movie weekend you had there.

Wing Attack Plan R

The Beekeeper

In The Heights

Buddy, your friends need to send you a list of movie recommendations. You shouldn't be doing this to yourself.

CoopersDream

This was one of those films that I enjoyed a lot more than I would have thought as well (and I liked it a good bit more than you as well). I thought the first two acts, in particular, were very strong - both quite captivating and with good action. As you say, it could have used some trimming in the editing room, especially in the final act I though but overall very pleasantly surprised. I will say that I think the first two Hunger Games movies are very good as well (didn't like the final two very much though), so I might be a bit biased.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Bad movie weekend you had there.
Buddy, your friends need to send you a list of movie recommendations. You shouldn't be doing this to yourself.
I like shit movies, don't you know that by now? :lol:
This was one of those films that I enjoyed a lot more than I would have thought as well (and I liked it a good bit more than you as well). I thought the first two acts, in particular, were very strong - both quite captivating and with good action. As you say, it could have used some trimming in the editing room, especially in the final act I though but overall very pleasantly surprised. I will say that I think the first two Hunger Games movies are very good as well (didn't like the final two very much though), so I might be a bit biased.
My score would have been higher if the final act didn't fall off a cliff.

Sweet Square

I don't remember that particular clip, but the movie is great! Very deadpan and hilarious yet touching.
Oh I should have mentioned that scene is a dvd extra. PSH is barely in the film but he also does have my favourite scene.

Wing Attack Plan R

Oh I should have mentioned that scene is a dvd extra. PSH is barely in the film but he also does have my favourite scene.
He was my favorite actor, still so annoyed/angry that he died. It's weird to think of someone like him, in all those great, prestigious movies he was in, was going back to his trailer and shooting up. And worse, he was in recovery and was counseling others trying to get clean, and the relapsed and died. It's very sad, but I'm also fecking angry about it too.

Sweet Square

He was my favorite actor, still so annoyed/angry that he died. It's weird to think of someone like him, in all those great, prestigious movies he was in, was going back to his trailer and shooting up.
Oh agree. He was a genius. He is in one scene in the PTA film Hard Eight and it’s always stuck in my brain.

After reading Matthew Perry autobiography it seems like fame is just awful. It’s such a strange world that I can’t imagine it leads to any sort of healthy normal life.
And worse, he was in recovery and was counseling others trying to get clean, and the relapsed and died.
That’s seems to very common with heroin users. I think it’s due to when they relapse they take the same amount before they were clean which results in a overdose. It’s a really sad addiction and illness

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I saw The Holdovers yesterday and enjoyed it. It's really well done, the fact they tried to make a 1970 film wasn't particularly distracting but was actually quite welcome, for me. Completely different rhythm and vibe going on, a sort of simplicity to it all that worked quite well. Some of the underlying themes such as mental health were gently touched upon without being forced down our throats, and it was skillfully carried by a great trio of actors (I particularly liked Randolph's depiction of the grieving mother that was wonderfully nuanced and very well delivered). It's a bit of an oddity in the current landscape of releases, I'd say it's not essential to see it at the cinema, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Sweet Square

Sonatine

A film about a group of scared dislocated yakuza who are in hiding . The yakuza shown seem to both be unable to grown up and already fed up of life. There is no differences between the play on the beach and the violence committed.

I loved the framing especially with the static shots which end up looking like paintings. There’s also a great shootout scene.

Takeshi Kitano always has incredible screen presence and it’s not different here. Plus the soundtrack is brilliant.

9/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Zone of Disinterest - Ever heard or the banality of evil?? Be prepared to get it shoved down your throat for an hour an half. It’s like an installation that didn’t need to get turned into a film, would have worked fine as just that. Out of this world sound design though, properly unsettling stuff.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I found it just annoying and unwatchable. Everyone was so unlikeable I hoped they all died as soon as possible. Sandler even more than usual. Then turned it off 20 or 30 mins in.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I found it just annoying and unwatchable. Everyone was so unlikeable I hoped they all died as soon as possible. Sandler even more than usual. Then turned it off 20 or 30 mins in.
+1

For me, as unwatchable as Ted Lasso.

Sweet Square

Howard wife does call him the most annoying man she has ever met. It’s a deliberate choice by the film makers. I get it not working for some but as a form of criticism it’s a bit like complaining Arnold is too robotic in T2.

Also it should be mentioned Uncut Gems embraces the vulgar Jewish New York stereotypes and uses it as a form of celebration. Howard is all the stereotypes but as the Safdie brother have said he wears this as a super power. Imo Howard is genuinely a great character.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Howard wife does call him the most annoying man she has ever met. It’s a deliberate choice by the film makers. I get it not working for some but as a form of criticism it’s a bit like complaining Arnold is too robotic in T2.

Also it should be mentioned Uncut Gems embraces the vulgar Jewish New York stereotypes and uses it as a form of celebration. Howard is all the stereotypes but as the Safdie brother have said he wears this as a super power. Imo Howard is genuinely a great character.

He's one of the best characters on screen since ages. He's amazing. Yeah obviously he's annoying but he's meant to be annoying, there's nothing interesting or groundbreaking about stating that. He's a wonderful film character, and he carries the film effortlessly.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I guess if you find robots annoying then you probably wouldn't like T2 that much. Although not every single character in T2 is so despicable and annoying that you wish they would die or go away as fast as possible, and doesn't have Adam Sandler in it. So not a perfect analogy :)

Wing Attack Plan R

Team Sweet Square