Music The RedCafe "Original Songwriter's" Music Thread

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Just writing abit on Raglan Road.

A truely majestic Irish Folk song.

It was orgionally an obscure Patrick Kavanagh poem. No one knows the true meaning of Raglan road - but I remember learning it in 5th class in national school. Had a Mr Twomey teach me it.

I asked him one day "What it means?" - he came back to me and Said - "Kilmartin, No one can tell you the meaning of Raglan road - You have to find that out for yourself"

Some people say - Its Kavanagh angry at Irish upper class - not liking his poetry, others say its of a loveless relationship, or an affair. Others see an addiction and alcoholism.

Anyhow - Raglan Road - A classic Kavanagh poem and a classic irish folk song

pillory

Raglan Road

This was recorded on Paddy's day down the local Boozer. The missus tried to be all fancy and recorded it sidewards. I can alter it back but it looses sound quality so I decided to just leave it
One of my favourite songs as well. I like your voice. I have actually recorded a version of it myself, a shoegazish wall-of-sound affair. It's crap, so I wouldn't post it even if I knew where the hell I've stored it.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
A new song I gave run out a few weeks ago just to hear what it sounds like. Not totally decided on it yet, needs a band and a bit of reworking...

but here goes

I like the song popper! Didnt read through the whole thread so I dont know if people compared your voice to someone already but to me it sounded close Lemmy from Motorhead. I find the song sounds like an acoustic version of one of your metal songs, hehe. (that is if you would do metal in the first place, obviously).

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Jaysus thats a comparison I haven't had before..... :lol:

Hope I'm a bit better looking than Lemmy! Cheers though I'll take is as a compliment :D

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
At 2:40-2:44 I felt some metal guitars slamming in man :D.

Hehe, it's not too difficult to look better than Lemmy Id say. But yea, I like that roughness, kind of an Everlast style.

Kinky Melinky

I think a 5 string banjo in that song would sound lovely, accompanied with a violin. I've got some good ideas for that song. Lyrically it's my dearest

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool

I'm playing guitar and did the programming on this track. I also recorded the song and the vid was done in my living room. On our stuff I mostly play the banjo and do some programming but I do play the melodica on a couple of tracks. We've got a myspace page here harp and a monkey
Hopefully we'll make some more vids soon but we're pretty fkin lazy.
Really loved the arrangement on this one as well, quality track mate.

And yes, this thread should be in the general.

Or, at the very least, it should be un-stickied so people stop overlooking it. If it came up with the new threads every time it got a new reply, I can guarantee you ten times as many people would look at it.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
A new song I gave run out a few weeks ago just to hear what it sounds like. Not totally decided on it yet, needs a band and a bit of reworking...

but here goes

I liked this one as well. That growling Tom Waitsesque singing style you've got works well for the choruses.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Seriously, let's get this unstickied. It's been up 7 months and this is the first time I've bothered looking at it. I'm sure there's loads of others who are similar.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

mexos

Academy player
sole? like the bottom of your shoes?

how random

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
This is a belting track mate. Guitar bits sound very Sonic Youth, and the screamed vocals go a bit Arctic Monkeys after 3:00. Liked it a lot.
Cheers, glad you liked it. I'll upload some more stuff sometime. Trying to sort out a new band at the moment.

Kinky Melinky

Seriously, let's get this unstickied. It's been up 7 months and this is the first time I've bothered looking at it. I'm sure there's loads of others who are similar.
I've expressed my opinions to the Mods on this before, and I know it's shared by a few others that this thread should be in the General.

I realise that the content of the thread is 'Entertainment' but bearing in mind the creative effort required to write a song, and the sheer need an unknown musician has for exposure I feel it warrants the traffic that the General forum enjoys.

Like you say Melbourne, it's been up 7 months and it's the first time you've been in it. It's not that you were avoiding it, you either didn't know about it or assumed it was something that wouldn't interest you. That is the problem that comes with a sticky in the Entertainment forum.

Perhaps we should put up a poll in the General. Do you or don't you agree that the "Original Songwriter's" Music thread should be moved into the General. Chances are you're going to get a shit load of people who never knew it was here. Quite a few who knew it was here will vote in favour of the move

Kinky Melinky

this is your best song IMO, lyricswise and musically. just listened to it now and have it on again,very beautiful and sad
Hey man, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I've actually uploaded a new version of the song to You Tube. The only main difference is that I've used a capo.

I think it's one of my favourites to be honest with you. Not everyone's cup of tea but I love playing it. The words are of a very personal nature

pillory

I'm all with this moving to the general idea, especially now that it's done. I'll put up a few of my "own" songs the next time I'm drunk enough to not hate them.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Good to see this in the general, hopefully our singer songwriters get more recognition in here.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I've expressed my opinions to the Mods on this before, and I know it's shared by a few others that this thread should be in the General.

I realise that the content of the thread is 'Entertainment' but bearing in mind the creative effort required to write a song, and the sheer need an unknown musician has for exposure I feel it warrants the traffic that the General forum enjoys.

Like you say Melbourne, it's been up 7 months and it's the first time you've been in it. It's not that you were avoiding it, you either didn't know about it or assumed it was something that wouldn't interest you. That is the problem that comes with a sticky in the Entertainment forum.

Perhaps we should put up a poll in the General. Do you or don't you agree that the "Original Songwriter's" Music thread should be moved into the General. Chances are you're going to get a shit load of people who never knew it was here. Quite a few who knew it was here will vote in favour of the move

I strongly disagree with that, and im a bit fecked off that someone moved out without discussion amongst the other admin.

The Entertainment forum is for Games, Music, Films, Books.

Now someone can quite rightly complain "why is Kinky's thread in there and not mine?". We had this discussion via PM before so im a bit peeved to find it in here, especially with more than enough sticky threads in the General already

Eyepopper

Geebs..... why is kinky's thread in here and not mine?

Thats bang out of order IMO... I'm PM'ing Noodle about it.

Eyepopper

Oh.... I was at a party the other week Kinks and someone (who I'm friends with on facebook) asked me very loudly 'how do you know Aidan?' Then turned to her brother and husband and said 'hey lads, Michael knows Aidan....'

Then they all turned to me and said "Thats mad, small world, how do you know Aidan?"

I was very stoned and a bit freaked out so rather than admit it was through an internet forum about music where we commonly engage in homoerotic banter I told them we'd been lovers and that you'd fecked off to England and broke my heart.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
I strongly disagree with that, and im a bit fecked off that someone moved out without discussion amongst the other admin.

The Entertainment forum is for Games, Music, Films, Books.

Now someone can quite rightly complain "why is Kinky's thread in there and not mine?". We had this discussion via PM before so im a bit peeved to find it in here, especially with more than enough sticky threads in the General already
Someone could quite rightly be told that it's to generate exposure for the forum musicians, which is something that could be achieved to far greater effect in there and is something that seems to be a more worthwhile exercise than at least a couple of the other ones that are stickied in there.

I don't see why the rules need to be enforced in such a rigorous, to-the-letter way in an instance where a relaxing of them would be of such benefit to posters.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Someone could quite rightly be told that it's to generate exposure for the forum musicians, which is something that could be achieved to far greater effect in there and is something that seems to be a more worthwhile exercise than at least a couple of the other ones that are stickied in there.

I don't see why the rules need to be enforced in such a rigorous, to-the-letter way in an instance where a relaxing of them would be of such benefit to posters.
what part of Music-Games-Movies-Book's dont you understand?

Traffic to this forum has been a roaring success. Its only the negativity of those that still want one huge General forum that bring it down.

Everyone knows that if they want to see a thread about music that they head in here.

Eyepopper

Whatever the decision lads, lets not have this thread turn into 7 page row eh...

Here's a mate of mine to get things back on track....

Remember where you heard this lads name first...

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
what part of Music-Games-Movies-Book's dont you understand?

Traffic to this forum has been a roaring success. Its only the negativity of those that still want one huge General forum that bring it down.

Everyone knows that if they want to see a thread about music that they head in here.
Mainly the part where the Music-Games-Movies-Books stipulation takes on such earth-shattering importance to you that it moves you into reversing a mod's decision, transferring the thread back in here before going onto type up a haughty, headmastery response like that.

Roaring success or not, the traffic in the general is far greater than in here, and it would help the musicians in this thread if an exception was made. That is the sum total of the arguement. Take it or leave it. Although, sadly, at this stage, it's clear that you've elected to leave it.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Whatever the decision lads, lets not have this thread turn into 7 page row eh...

Here's a mate of mine to get things back on track....

Remember where you heard this lads name first...
'Take A Gun and Shoot Her':lol:

Bad break-up then?

Not bad though.

Is it really that hard to pick and sing? If I had one criticism of the tracks in here it's that there's not enough picking going on. I think it'd open up a few doors creatively.