Music The RedCafe "Original Songwriter's" Music Thread

The Flying Potato

Oh and can someone give me a few tips on mixing bass please? I can never get it to be heard through normal PC speakers and it annoys the hell outa me!

Ecstasio

Between South Manchester & The South Coast of
Oh and can someone give me a few tips on mixing bass please? I can never get it to be heard through normal PC speakers and it annoys the hell outa me!
I can hear the bass on your track just fine. I suspect if you cannot hear it, then the speakers are at fault not the production. Most PC speakers and headphones say they handle bass down to around 20hz but very few do so properly.
You can use iZotopes Ozone (I love it) to do some post mastering on your track once it's finished. With it you can set the bass bell and lower shelf to say 30hz which should stop it dipping below the speaker capabilities. A lot of my own tracks have that problem as I purposely place the sub-bass frequencies around 15-22hz. I don't care though. My music is aimed at sub-woofers, wide diameter club speakers or high quality headphones. Not cheap plastic desktop solutions.

The Flying Potato

I can hear the bass on your track just fine. I suspect if you cannot hear it, then the speakers are at fault not the production. Most PC speakers and headphones say they handle bass down to around 20hz but very few do so properly.
You can use iZotopes Ozone (I love it) to do some post mastering on your track once it's finished. With it you can set the bass bell and lower shelf to say 30hz which should stop it dipping below the speaker capabilities. A lot of my own tracks have that problem as I purposely place the sub-bass frequencies around 15-22hz. I don't care though. My music is aimed at sub-woofers, wide diameter club speakers or high quality headphones. Not cheap plastic desktop solutions.

Thanks for the info, the reason I ask is because I know that most of the people who listen to my music will be listening through those everyday PC speakers. I always thought it was due to bad mixing that you couldnt hear the bass through them, good to know that it is just purely down to the capabilities of some speakers. ...Everyone needs to get studio speakers dammit! :D

Having said that though my mixing could still be greatly improved, I shall check out this iZotopes thing

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Yeah mixing is an art in itself. I can do the basics, not that there's any theory involved.

"lead goes left, guitar goes right, bass in the middle, feck it that'll do!"

The Flying Potato

It helps that I am actualy on a Music Technology course at the moment, we start going into detail on mixing this week. Really looking forward to it

The Flying Potato

I just reaised I can get Cubase 5 for £217 because i'm a student....fecking yes! Shall be getting that next pay day, been wanting to upgrade for a while now but didn't want to pay £400+...

:D

Kinky Melinky

Wrote this one today and thought I'd put it up

What Once was mine

It's got me thinking will we be ever free
While the headlines read in negative equity
Lets call a spade a spade you've taken something whole
And you shred the dreams that parents had to hold

I want her whole life
Not just a half slice
You give me back what once was mine

You know I used to be so angry now I'm numb
Because you raped and shaped the virgin for your fun
Oh and I bet when you all meet behind your walls
You laugh that we allowed you make the calls

I want her whole life
Not just a half slice
You give me back what once was mine
I want her whole life
Not just a half slice
You give to me what once was mine

Kinky Melinky

In truth I've been completely neglecting my MySpace page, but with the upcoming recording and new year release of my E.P I figured I'd get some activity going on it.

Most of you will have heard the songs on the page, but there's a new one up called 'The Kitchen Note' accompanied with lyrics.

My Myspace Page

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
What once was mine is a great song Kinky, really well done. Your voices reminds me of Aaron Lewis who did a fantastic acoustic cover of Pearl Jam's Black. The lyrics are great too, and the playing as ever is superb.

Eriku

Me and me mate Thor having a stoned jam session last week-end:

Me on guitar and him on bass.

Eriku

You being sarcastic there, Mike?

And yes, Mockers... I am.

Mind you, here in Norway the god of thunder is referred to as "Tor", so... fail :\

Eriku

:eek:

me likey, Mikey.

Thor says it's well rude to put up something that's got good decent production values right after our shabby iPhone recording.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Plugging my friends album he just released on the label SongbyToadRecords.

Yusuf Azak / Turn on the Long Wire | Song, by Toad Records

You can hear a couple of songs from it at the link above and for anyone with an interest you can read reviews of his album in the following links.

Yusuf Azak

Yusuf Azak: Turn On The Long Wire (Song, By Toad) - Herald Scotland | Arts & Ents | Music Reviews

Yusuf Azak

Check him out, he's awesome, i went and saw him live the other night and whilst he produces the whole album and sound himself live he is just a guy with a guitar and sounds very different. Certainly a talent as the reviews have been quite favourable that i've come across.

Do it!

noodlehair

"It's like..."

Voice not quite right due to woman-flu contagion.

Also notice the obvious lack of a tash

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Most in here probably won't like this, but meh...

I've decided to use all the old instrumentals I've got hanging around and make a little Hip Hop EP....purely for the sheer hell of it.

Here are a couple of early rough mixes...

McCool

Winner of the 'Real Caftards Fantasy Football Leag
A one take wonder, did it for someone and thought I might as well stick it up here.

I'm not playing piano for once...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Cheers all. I should point out that I'm clearly lacking in talent behind everyone else who's posted something in this thread...you fecks.

Anyway. Since the first one didn't result in total humiliation, here's another song;

Notice the undeniable lack of a tache
I actually really liked that one Noods, fair play

Kinky Melinky

Most in here probably won't like this, but meh...

I've decided to use all the old instrumentals I've got hanging around and make a little Hip Hop EP....purely for the sheer hell of it.

Here are a couple of early rough mixes...

I think you've just become my personal hero Mocks ! Is everything you or did you have others involved ?

Really like it. The message is right up my street

Kinky Melinky

Kinky Melinky

Just listening to Hailey Commits now. I hope you know how good you are. This is really good stuff. Extremely atmospheric

Kinky Melinky

I know I'm kinda obsessing a bit here so forgive me but I have to say, Hailey Commits is one of the best original songs I've heard in quite some time - and I'm a fussy cnut when it comes to music

You made me join Sound Cloud in an attempt to download the tune ! I love how the singer's accent comes through, and the chorus is monstrous

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses

Eyepopper

I may get something new in here, I've been left behind :(

Eyepopper

That's something else I've to kick myself up the whole over.

See my planned latest addition in the thread in the general?

Edit: :lol: will do, shits still all over the place since moving but sorting my studio is the plan for next weekend.

Kinky Melinky

Is there anyway to upload a song or to display it with soundcloud here or am i better off just linking it?

Either way here's a link to a couple of hot tracks me and a few friends laid down in the last week.

Locust II by It Girl on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
I've had Hailey Commits on repeat for about 5 hours. I've not done that since Smells like teen Spirit was released

Not really sure what more to say about it. Incredible tune