The Referee Decisions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Oliver and Clattenburg have fecked us over the last 3 years on a constant basis. They are decent referees on other games most of the time, but United ones the decisions they made since Fergie retired have been nothing but disgraceful. I keep repeating myself here, but if we play games refeered by these two, we play against 12 men. Today was as expected from Clattenburg. If he had a chance to gift Burnley a penalty, he would have done so. Absolute joke and a cnut of the highest order.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Clattenburg has sent off 6 United players in the last 4 seasons apparently,not to mention the Leicester debacle and three pens in one game at OT to liverpool

PieCrust

Controversial opinion, but I don't think he cost us anything today. We created enough to win, but just couldn't put anything in the back of the net. Soft red for Herrera, but that's about it for me.
I agree. The draw was all on United's inability to finish, not the ref.

VanGaalEra

OP updated.

We'd most likely be sitting on 20+ points if the refs in our games weren't utter shit.

We need a lot to go our way for the whole "it evens itself out over the season argument".

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That Herrera red card was actually idiotic from Clatts. A complete stupid decision that cost us at an important time in the game.

Sylar

What about Flanagan? Shouldnt he have got a second booking for that blatant handball (which the ref even gave us a freekick for)?

Ibi Dreams

Controversial opinion, but I don't think he cost us anything today. We created enough to win, but just couldn't put anything in the back of the net. Soft red for Herrera, but that's about it for me.
Pretty much agree. Shouldn't have been red but he didn't get any of the handball or penalty shouts wrong. It would have helped having Herrera still on, yeah, but it just seemed like nothing was going to get the ball in the net anyway

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What about Flanagan? Shouldnt he have got a second booking for that blatant handball (which the ref even gave us a freekick for)?
If I'm not mistaken, he also did the same type of foul than Herrera without being booked twice.

Sylar

If I'm not mistaken, he also did the same type of foul than Herrera without being booked twice.
Its the inconsistency which is annoying AF.
The foul on Darmian for me, was a foul. I hate when people say "theres contact, but its not enough". When youre moving at pace, small contact can take you down. And it was on the line.

Giggs86

Watching American sports makes me so jealous at how every referee call can be challenged, reviewed and replayed in live time by the officials. Whereas we are stuck in the pre-technology dark ages where match outcomes depend on the mood of some fecktard half-assed imbecile like Clatenburg.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Watching American sports makes me so jealous at how every referee call can be challenged, reviewed and replayed in live time by the officials. Whereas we are stuck in the pre-technology dark ages where match outcomes depend on the mood of some fecktard half-assed imbecile like Clatenburg.
The length of the ads play a huge part in that, american sports are choppy.

Fracture90

Not an excuse, we should have had this game wrapped, tagged and bagged long before any decisions Mark "the man on the misson" Clattenburg made against us.

M4YON

I agree. The draw was all on United's inability to finish, not the ref.
Yep. Way too many chances to put them away rather than blame it on the man with the whistle. He wasn't good. We were worse.
Pretty much agree. Shouldn't have been red but he didn't get any of the handball or penalty shouts wrong. It would have helped having Herrera still on, yeah, but it just seemed like nothing was going to get the ball in the net anyway
The referee had a poor game and we were lucky Herrera being sent off didn't give Burnley the ammunition to score a winner.

Don't mistake our poor finishing for the point of this thread, another poor performance from a referee and now we miss one of our most important midfield players.

Fracture90

Think FA will overturn that decision and red card. It was obvious he slipped and had no intention of making such tackle.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Some perspective on that Herrera red. Clatterburg didn't even give a foul for Bravo's tackle on Rooney; two feet off the ground, studs up. He gives a second yellow for slipping over.

LazyBones

Think FA will overturn that decision and red card. It was obvious he slipped and had no intention of making such tackle.
It was a 2nd yellow card. I don't think it is possible to appeal against a yellow. Only a straight red can be overturned.

Fracture90

It was a 2nd yellow card. I don't think it is possible to appeal against a yellow. Only a straight red can be overturned.
Well maybe but it still resulted in a red card and suspension so i guess there's must be something that can be done about it...

Full bodied red

He made two really, really poor decisions yesterday.

And yet again when he is charge of one of our matches.

Once is understandable.

Twice is unlucky.

But this is now about the fourth or fifth time, which seems to be more than coincidence seeing as he is appears to be quite a good ref in matches not involving us....

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Oliver and Clattenburg have fecked us over the last 3 years on a constant basis. They are decent referees on other games most of the time, but United ones the decisions they made since Fergie retired have been nothing but disgraceful. I keep repeating myself here, but if we play games refeered by these two, we play against 12 men. Today was as expected from Clattenburg. If he had a chance to gift Burnley a penalty, he would have done so. Absolute joke and a cnut of the highest order.
Are there any referee's you lot actually like?
You were moaning about Oliver, then Atkinson and now Clattenburg.

Maybe the numerous discussions about ref's would be much less so if you were top of the league?

r0x0rwolfo

I love the guy, but Herrera was due a red. He's been on the cusp for a number of games, and his challenges can be a bit reckless. I love seeing him put in crunching tackles, but he's gotten away with a few. As above, the Stoke one was ridiculous.
Referees can't make decisions based on other matches. He should have been sent of against stoke all day but you can't send him off for slipping several games later.

izec

Maybe the numerous discussions about ref's would be much less so if you were top of the league?
Nah, i was just moaning about these two since forever. Irrespective of our leaguen position, these two should never referee a United game in the future. I dont mind the rest of them, mistakes here and there that equal each other out, but i dont see that with Oliver and Clattenburg the last 3 years. They continue to be so shit in our games that it is ridiculous.

Mike09

Remind me of Fergie era when all the ref decision against us. And I was also one of them who moan about referee decision. To me even if Herrera didn't get a red we wouldn't win it anyway. Burnley deserved a point because they were discipline to defend and park the bus. And we got punished for not putting all those chances as goals. No complain, poor finishing cost us again today not the red card or the ref decision.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Referees can't make decisions based on other matches. He should have been sent of against stoke all day but you can't send him off for slipping several games later.
That's not what I am saying happened at all. I'm saying Herrera has played in such a way that he's been close to getting a red or a 2nd yellow for a number of games, that it seemed inevitable he would get one soon enough if he kept playing the same way. He commits a lot of fouls and some of them have been a little nasty. He gets booked but still doesn't reel it in any. He commited another foul between getting the first and second booking, and it was avoidable. He could have gone earlier. Often your next foul after a booking is your marching orders but Herrera was given another chance.

It was a little harsh, but slips that result in fouls are nearly always given that way. City got one against us just a few days ago and it resulted in a yellow. A tad soft, but not the massive injustice it is being made out to be.

Full bodied red

Remind me of Fergie era when all the ref decision against us. And I was also one of them who moan about referee decision. To me even if Herrera didn't get a red we wouldn't win it anyway. Burnley deserved a point because they were discipline to defend and park the bus. And we got punished for not putting all those chances as goals. No complain, poor finishing cost us again today not the red card or the ref decision.

Agreed....But that's for the Post Match thread. Here we're moaning/bitching/talking out about referees' decisions, and yesterday Clattenburg again gave two very poor decisions against us.

Seems to me that he's spent the past four or five years overcompensating for that weird goal Nani scored against Spurs and which he allowed to stand.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

We used to love Howard Webb I'll have you know!

For me it's just Clattenberg and Oliver. The rest aren't great but are at least equally shit for both teams. I also think Clattenberg is a massively overrated ref, the way he lost the Chelsea/Spurs game last season was quite ridiculous.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Another reason to miss Fergie.

Refs seem to feck us over so much lately.
Well. Jose did try and turn the screw on the ref yesterday. Unfortunately, he got "sent off".

Personally, I think we need to keep turning the screws on refs, though do remember that Clattenburg will always be a 12th man against us. It's pretty clear that whenever he makes a "mistake", he always helps our opponents. Remember the catalogue of mistakes against LCFC, when they scored 5 against us?

TheReligion

Abusive

You are posting in a thread about referees decisions in the United forum.

Take that in for a moment then ponder what you actually expected the content to be.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

For me it's just Clattenberg and Oliver. The rest aren't great but are at least equally shit for both teams. I also think Clattenberg is a massively overrated ref, the way he lost the Chelsea/Spurs game last season was quite ridiculous.
I agree Webb was good - and some current one's not so, but to read a lot of posts of late it's like some anti-United factor or bias.

Yep - good post.

Jaxdan

Problem is half the time after 3 or 4 minute delay they still get it wrong at times. For the good it does, it adds too much delay and breaks up the game. In a free flowing sport such as football (soccer in this half of the world) it could really get out of hand. It could be useful, but needs to be on a very restricted basis. Even in slow mo a Pen could be subject to interpretation.

Jaxdan

The referee had a poor game and we were lucky Herrera being sent off didn't give Burnley the ammunition to score a winner.

Don't mistake our poor finishing for the point of this thread, another poor performance from a referee and now we miss one of our most important midfield players.
That is true. And as I said he wasn't good. The second yellow was wrong, the PK not given was wrong (though a close call). That said, I don't think either cost us yesterday's game, that was my point. Though I'm sure there were implications, We played a man down for almost 30 minutes and couldn't even tell we were.

OL29

I remember in the season Liverpool nearly won the league he was referee of Liverpool vs Man City at Anfield on the Hillsborough anniversary and he refused to give Suarez a second yellow for diving even though he stopped the play and gave him a final warning. I've thought he was a shit ref since then, it's like he changed the rules mid-game as he didn't want to upset the Anfield crowd, which admittedly must be intimidating on days like that.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Flannagan ought to have received a second yellow for the deliberate handball that resulted in a freekick against Burnley. He was far less quick on the trigger there.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I'm guessing this thread is the typical, I'll point out any slightly contentious decision that went against us and ignore any contentious decision that went our way to blame our problems away sort thread? Because:

1. We were fecked over because the soft but still valid 2 yellows sent out men off and he could of got away with it to if it weren't for you medalsome referees
2. The soft blatant dive could of given us a penalty because there was a leg left in after he won the ball, it's all so unjust.
3. The soft dive 6 months that did result in a penalty against us was woefully injust.
4. We deserved to win the game 4 months ago where we got a contentiously penalty with blatant simulation

All games will have decisions that go your way and some that don't. It's the nature of a fast moving sport. As a fan you'll remember the decisions that went against you.

M4YON

That is true. And as I said he wasn't good. The second yellow was wrong, the PK not given was wrong (though a close call). That said, I don't think either cost us yesterday's game, that was my point. Though I'm sure there were implications, We played a man down for almost 30 minutes and couldn't even tell we were.
Our poor finishing cost us i agree but in this game last season we would of drew with the same amount of possession with only one or two shots on target so our performances are getting mutch better.

Maybe Zlatan is feeling the pressure as our lone striker but still we now face our next game without a key player due to yet again a refereeing mistake one of many against us this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.