The Referee Decisions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4YON

Ryan Giggs said it best at half time it is a penalty, a soft one admittedly and its one of them that anywhere else on the pitch it would of been a freekick.

IMO if its a foul outide of the box its a foul inside too! This letting fouls go because they're in the penalty box and would be classed as a "soft" one has to stop!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Good atmosphere, crowd really behind the team. Yes, we are progressing, but slowly. Still not incisive enough in the last third. But we really are getting fecked over by the referees this season, so a mood of anger against them. Really rousing chants and cheers for Jose Mourinho throughout the matches.
I believe so yes. Good buzz about the place today but obviously deflated a bit by the final result.
Good to hear guys.
We need to stick and let him do his job. And we have definitely looked better this season.

red4ever 79

We are progressing, certainly better to watch than last season. First 10 mins today was great. Would have been a good victory today but we sat off them last 10 mins. Cant keep blaming refs every game though guys. We are turning into Liverpool on here. It is our fault we lost the game today. We went defensive in the last 10 mins and allowed them time and space on the ball. You dont do that against the Arse

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ryan Giggs said it best at half time it is a penalty, a soft one admittedly and its one of them that anywhere else on the pitch it would of been a freekick.

IMO if its a foul outide of the box its a foul inside too! This letting fouls go because they're in the penalty box and would be classed as a "soft" one has to stop!
This. Souness and Henry banged on about it being very soft and not a penalty. Giggs followed it up with that and they mumbled in agreement. And it's true. That's definitely a free kick anywhere on the pitch. If Monreal does that outside of the box and stops Valencia from entering the box with the ball, he's probably getting booked for it as well.

Fitchett

We are progressing, certainly better to watch than last season. First 10 mins today was great. Would have been a good victory today but we sat off them last 10 mins. Cant keep blaming refs every game though guys. We are turning into Liverpool on here. It is our fault we lost the game today. We went defensive in the last 10 mins and allowed them time and space on the ball. You dont do that against the Arse
Agree with your comments on the subs. Le Arse made offensive changes, whilst ours were defensive ones, which invited them to come at us, something they hadn't done all match. Putting on Lingard would have kept us with an outlet of 3 - Rashford, Rooney, Lingard - which would have pushed them back more or given us a better chance of counter attacking. The defensive changes is something the last three managers have done. It was no coincidence that we got so many late goals under Fergie by attacking to the end and making attacking substitutions.

Dominos

He said it was "just about" a penalty, in a studio full of people who didn't think it was, including Gary Neville. I'd like to see his opinion if it was the other way around, something tells me he'd side with "not quite enough to be a penalty" as oppose to "just about enough to be a penalty".

If that was Sanchez I guarantee 90% of the forum would be calling him a diver.

jem

That was a pen, if Monreal had stayed on his feet then it wasn't a pen but when you go to ground like he did with arm hanging out at Valencia then its a nailed on pen.

As for Darmain he should never have been booked in the first place as he didn't touch Walcott. There was some strange decisions all day from him, our luck surely must change soon.
I don't know how there can be any argument. He clearly impeded Valencia. I'm sick of all these 'the ref didn't cost us' posts. He very clearly did (although knowing our luck, we would've missed the penalty...)

Red_toad

He said it was "just about" a penalty, in a studio full of people who didn't think it was, including Gary Neville. I'd like to see his opinion if it was the other way around, something tells me he'd side with "not quite enough to be a penalty" as oppose to "just about enough to be a penalty".

Matters not what fans think. Contact was made a Valencia was fouled, it was not a legal challenge for the ball, he made no attempt to play the ball. Ref bottled it.
Had it been at the other end I'd have been annoyed with one of our defenders.

JustinC00

If that's Valencia doing it to Monreal, Marrnier points to the spot 10 times out of 10.

M4YON

Gary Neville is a moron he's always trying so hard to be neutral he often goes in the complete opposite direction.

It was a penalty no arguments he leant his arm across then dropped like a ton of bricks bringing Valencia down and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Just look at his teammates faces when it happens they were all panicked and looked straight towards the ref. They knew it was too and breathed a sigh of relief when he dismissed it, he's a lucky lucky boy.

Ryan Giggs and the entire panel agreed that if that was anywhere else on the pitch its a foul and it should of been one inside the box too!

GiddyUp

Dean just given a soft one.
Soft yes, penalty non the less. Dean has been the stand out ref this season and has made some terrific calls. The problem with refs in general is consistency, Marinier has given penalties for much much less this season. My no. 1 gripe is if that is a foul outside the box why is it not a foul inside, a crazy fecking notion in a professional sport where results cost millions to a club and the person making the decision gets away without any explanation.
I wanted to see Clattenberg front and center on camera to explain to everyone why the Bravo challenge on Rooney was not a penalty and caution for a reckless challenge.
I want to know why the ref allowed play on two months ago when Koscelny was flat out at the keepers feet and Shane Long blatantly fouled up the other end to receive no foul and then Arsenal bring the ball back and received the softest penalty I have ever seen all while the Arsenal player was in an offside position on the deck interfering with the keepers position.
If we want the best referring maybe we should allow clubs to have a veto on refs based on evidence presented to an independent panel. See how many of these trash refs are left. Or ideally they could allow a challenge by the managers on penalty decisions only. If they challenge the ref it goes to an instant replay when the ball goes dead. Players who have judged to have dived receive an instant red which may encourage a bit more honesty in the box. We cannot continue to allow major decisions be based on one mans opinion in a split second. If I was in charge I would definately have two refs on the pitch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Only saw it live at the game, but it was at the end I was sat in.

Looked a certain pen. Valencia a bit off balance, but defender made sure he hit the ground.

TheReligion

Abusive
Only saw it live at the game, but it was at the end I was sat in.

Looked a certain pen. Valencia a bit off balance, but defender made sure he hit the ground.
It was a clear pen. He had his arm that far across him his hand was wrapped around his furthest leg.

Not sure why it wasn't given.

TheReligion

Abusive

It was a penalty. He had his arm wrapped around him as he went passed him.

VanGaalEra

Why do you watch football is believe your team is screwed over in "every fecking game"?
If people stopped watching football because they were constantly pissed of with refs, there'd be no fans left.

Bizarre question.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
If people stopped watching football because they were constantly pissed of with refs, there'd be no fans left.

Bizarre question.
No, that's not what I asked. If you really think the referee is against Man Utd in every single game, wouldn't that make you stop watching? If I thought Detroit Red Wings opponents got an unfair edge in powerplays every single game, I would probably do something else with my time.

VanGaalEra

No, that's not what I asked. If you really think the referee is against Man Utd in every single game, wouldn't that make you stop watching? If I thought Detroit Red Wings opponents got an unfair edge in powerplays every single game, I would probably do something else with my time.
So I've been watching United and football for 23 years but I should stop watching because the refs have been appalling this season?

That's not going to happen.

Eboue

So I've been watching United and football for 23 years but I should stop watching because the refs have been appalling this season?

That's not going to happen.
I'm not telling you to stop watching. Can you just answer these two questions?

1) Do you actually believe refs are against Man Utd in "every fecking game"?
2) If so, why do you watch something that is more or less rigged against your team?

VanGaalEra

2) If so, why do you watch something that is more or less rigged against your team?
Never ever mentioned rigged, so you've got off on the wrong foot.

The refereeing standards are appalling, throughout the league. Just seems it's be going against us every game this season, especially the last couple games at home.

lsd

The Oracle
Wasnt a pen ..Valencia went down to easy and wasnt a foul for their goal either . Jones was out muscled and went to ground like a wimp .

We were the better team but lost the lead due to our own bad decisions and actions at the worst time . The problem isn't referrees is our lack of bottle to see things through

M4YON

I can answer for him

1) No refs aren't against United they are consistently performing to a very poor standard but there are no punishments or recorse for referees so they will continue to perform poorly until somebody actually gives them the kick up the ar*e they need.

Until that happens poor performances against United will continue to be discussed in this thread. Does that clear everything up for you?

Eboue

I can answer for him

1) No refs aren't against United they are consistently performing to a very poor standard but there are no punishments or recorse for referees so they will continue to perform poorly until somebody actually gives them the kick up the ar*e they need.

Until that happens poor performances against United will continue to be discussed in this thread. Does that clear everything up for you?
I'm sure this thread on a message board will be the kick up the ass they need. Maybe toss in an online petition for good measure.

Slartibartfast

100% penalty - 45 years watching football 100% penalty, having watched the replays from 8 different TV angles 100% penalty - it wasn't Clattenburg so it could simply be just a genuine mistake but really it was a penalty

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's a penalty. If you think Valencia goes down softly it's sort of irrelevant, as the defender makes a clear attempt to impede his run and is making contact... so even if Valencia I'd sightly impeded (he is) it's both a foul and penalty.

Dominos

Gary Neville is a moron he's always trying so hard to be neutral he often goes in the complete opposite direction.

It was a penalty no arguments he leant his arm across then dropped like a ton of bricks bringing Valencia down and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Just look at his teammates faces when it happens they were all panicked and looked straight towards the ref. They knew it was too and breathed a sigh of relief when he dismissed it, he's a lucky lucky boy.

Ryan Giggs and the entire panel agreed that if that was anywhere else on the pitch its a foul and it should of been one inside the box too!
I'd love to see the reaction on here if that was given against us. 10 page thread entitled "diving ****". Guaranteed.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I thought it was a stonewall penalty, as Nacho flings his body sideways to obstruct Valencia who's clearly going to reach the ball. He leans into the back of Valencia's knees on the way down which results in him going down.

By the laws of the game that's just an undeniable penalty, sorry.

Aside from that: Marriner's an inconsistent ref that'll ignore obvious fouls one second then call similar fouls the next, which is frustrating for the teams. But he didn't cost us the game today. We ourselves did, and as such it's hard to get that worked about it. Much like the matches vs Stoke and Burnley, we should've been several goals up and cruising.

Slartibartfast

I'd love to see the reaction on here if that was given against us. 10 page thread entitled "diving ****". Guaranteed.
Diving - get a grip "watch the arm" clear penalty - if that is not a clear decision to impede the opposition then football is now a free for sll

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think we'd be calling the Arsenal player a diver if the circumstances were reversed, but moreso the defender who committed the diving rugby tackle a donkey and a liability, as we're often so quick to do.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's a penalty, simple.

I've said this on the Caf before but as a fan of football and rugby (union), the comparable quality of the refs is laughable ..... BUT it could be helped a lot by bringing in TMOs (video refs).

I've been watching the rugby Test Matches today/last couple of weekends and the contentious decisions are right time after time after time partly because the officials are good but also because they use the TMO if it's an important decision and they're not sure.

So, today, the ref just stops play and says to the TMO "can you check the challenge and see if it was a penalty". The watch is stopped, the TMO would take a couple of minutes then come back with a decision.

- it doesn't take ages
- it doesn't impact on the 90 mins (watch stopped)
- it means majority of key decisions are right (it's not perfect, Ireland game today showed that)
- it stops the focus being on refs and keeps it on the game
- the fans love it ... apart from getting the right decision, it adds a bit of suspense. Tennis, rugby (x2), cricket... they all like it

It wouldn't be perfect (the other sports have more 'black and white' decisions) but better, much better.

Football is the biggest sport in the world with billions of pounds sloshing around and it's years behind other sports in making the most of technology that would make the sport better.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It would have been a soft penalty but we've seen plenty of these given nowadays and no one would have told Mariner anything if he had pointed to the spot.

I was more furious at him for not awarding us two fouls in very dangerous areas. The first one was when Mata attempted his cut inside move and he was clipped right on the edge of the box. The second one was when Rashford attempted a run in the box and Kolcieny brought him down with a rugby tackle when our player on the ball was unmarked and had an open passing angle. Somebody should tell Mariner that "playing the advantage" means that the attacking team has the opportunity to continue its attacking play right where the foul occurred. If they keep possession 10-15 meters behind and the momentum is lost, he should award the fouls because there's not an advantage anymore.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

I'm not one for blaming refs as the reality is if we were winning games these decisions would not be highlighted. However we don't seem to be having our rub of the green this season.

It doesn't help when the likes of Jamie Redknapp say 'it would of been a pen under Fergie'. I really feel there is this notion we had so many refereeing favours over the years that now we don't deserve correct decisions for us.

Personally thought Marriner had an awful game today but Rashford stops the cross and it wouldn't even be mentioned.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
On the other hand, Darmian could've seen red in the first half so I guess the ref wasn't all that horrible for us.
You'd have to balance that out of course with that Darmian shouldn't have been booked in the first place for what looked like a clear Walcott dive, but I accept once you have Darmian on a yellow then yes we were fortunate to have the referee decide to give him a warning instead of the yellow that the tackle probably deserved.

Maybe update the OP to something like:

"For:

2. Darmian vs. Arsenal (Marriner gives Darmian a warning rather than a second yellow for a tackle in the first half - however the first yellow card should not have been given owing to a Walcott dive)."

Or something similar?

That would make the list 8-2 :p

donkeyfish

You'd have to balance that out of course with that Darmian shouldn't have been booked in the first place for what looked like a clear Walcott dive, but I accept once you have Darmian on a yellow then yes we were fortunate to have the referee decide to give him a warning instead of the yellow that the tackle probably deserved.
Agreed that the yellow he got looked soft. They only showed one replay in a bad angle on the broadcast I watched, so couldn't really be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.