The relative strength of the Premier League

Minimalist

Top sides in the PL are a shadow of what the PL previously offered on the European stage.

Strikers in particular. Aside from Aguero (and he's always fecking injured), who is a genuine proven world class striker who can bully the mid-lower sides in this league? Perhaps Harry Kane if you want to include him.

It's just not the same anymore. Some of the clubs do it to themselves to be fair with shocking transfers.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
BTW I am pretty sure Leicester would not be winning any other top league.

ghagua

The Premier league is strongest it's ever been, but the top clubs have regressed over the last couple of years. Lower level teams are turning up to play and not showing up for a beating. Teams like Leicester, West Ham, Watford and others are going toe to toe with the bigger teams now.

Cina

BTW I am pretty sure Leicester would not be winning any other top league.
They'd be top of La Liga, smashing teams by half time and then taking it easy eating pizza in the second half.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Manchester United this year will take place in four cup competitions.
The league cup is like 6 extra matches if you get to the final.

The cup competition in Spain for example has two legs. So if you take the FA cup into account it nearly evens up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Would United, Chelsea, Liverpool be out of the top four in any other league?
Liverpool weren't great against a team as poor as Bordeaux and are generally poor, if Chelsea played like they did they would be midtable in Spain, Germany and Italy, United would be at the same place.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Yes. By a long way.
Why? Liverpool and United struggled against third rate European teams this season.

I'd only give you Chelsea. They should be in the top 4 this season as their form under Hiddink suggests. They have badly underachieved this year but that is their fault and not because the PL is too strong.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yes. This season's Chelsea would be going nowhere. Liverpool likewise. We might have an outside chance in Germany.
But the top 3 in Spain and top 2 in Germany are spots no PL team would touch.

Sarni

Yes. Maybe United would have a shot at top 4 in Spain but I very much doubt we'd be in it this season considering how consistent Villarreal have been. Not a chance Liverpool would be ahead of Sevilla or Villarreal (or even Athletic) in La Liga, this is just mental.

Leicester would not be top 4 in Spain either.

They might be in top 4 in Germany but obviously no higher than 2nd. Leverkusen are struggling a bit this season and so are Wolfsburg and Gladbach so three sides that are around the level of United, Arsenal and Chelsea and would normally be fighting it out with them for places 3 and 4.

So basically you are wrong again.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
This is Manchester United, currently (and comfortably) fifth.
Btw your "comfortably" fifth place side is actually 6th after today's result and will stay there should they not win tomorrow.

Other that that I'd say we are very comfortable.

Sarni

Yes. By a long way.

Edit: Not Atletico.
Better by a long way than Villarreal, Athletic and Sevilla :lol: you are mental. Have you watched any of them this season or are you simply basing this on the fact that you have zero clue about them hence they must be crap?

bucky

Sevilla (Spanish)

---------------------Rico--------------

Coke – Rami – Kolodziejczak – Tremoulinas

---------------N’zonzi-------------------

Vitolo--------Krohn-Delhi----Konoplayanka-

------------Gameiro----------Llorente-------------

Subs: Soria, Banega, Krychowiak, Reyes, Mariano, Immobile, Iborra.

Does this not suggest to anyone right away the quality of the respective leagues?
Better by a long way than Villarreal, Athletic and Sevilla :lol: you are mental. Have you watched any of them this season or are you simply basing this on the fact that you have zero clue about them hence they must be crap?
I'd argue since he has Sevilla's best player on the bench that he has no clue. Oh and Immobile plays for Torino currently.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'd argue since he has Sevilla's best player on the bench that he has no clue. Oh and Immobile plays for Torino currently.
You missed the fun where he actually lined up 12 players (still featuring for 'Mains' as he called them) for Sevilla.

Hasn't got a clue obviously. The leeway he has in wumming is beyond my understanding right now.

prarek

Sevilla (Spanish)

---------------------Rico--------------

Coke – Rami – Kolodziejczak – Tremoulinas

---------------N’zonzi-------------------

Vitolo--------Krohn-Delhi----Konoplayanka-

------------Gameiro----------Llorente-------------

Subs: Soria, Banega, Krychowiak, Reyes, Mariano, Immobile, Iborra.

Does this not suggest to anyone right away the quality of the respective leagues?
Krohn-Dehli number 10? What sorcery is this?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Did you see the bit where I said I just shoehorned in the 11 who have played the most this season? They're pretty much the 16 top appearance makers.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I find it interesting that people in the "klasiker" thread are posting about how poor the game was. Almost like two great organised team can make each other look ineffective.

JPRouve

Scout
I find it interesting that people in the "klasiker" thread are posting about how poor the game was. Almost like two great organised team can make each other look ineffective.
Are you suggesting that the PL is shit because all the teams are greatly organized?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's an extremely flawed line of logic that if you don't have your top names in the league thrashing everyone else, it is a poor league.

Someone mentioned that it is no surprise that the level of increased competition in the PL makes it the most viewed league in the world, despite the giants playing in other leagues. I doubt all of that is due to the supa dupa PL marketing. It's good that no points are guaranteed, and that Leicester can take advantage of the laxness of other teams and be top. Long may that continue.

Disclaimer: I do think the general level of play in La Liga is the best in the world currently. It's just a shame that the likes of Sevilla et al so sucked off on here, can't break into the top 3 and mount geniune challenges. I'm not buying the "Barcelona and Real are so much better" either. Barcelona is on another level, but Atletico and Real aren't invincible.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I find it interesting that people in the "klasiker" thread are posting about how poor the game was.
Eh? Everyone mentioned that the first half was fantastic end to end stuff. The 2nd half was poor.

Did you even watch the game?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Good game so far.
Nice game so far.
Poor finishing from both teams. Brilliant fun so far though.
Watching these teams press is awesome.
Are they on drugs ? Amazing match .
Ridiculous pace to the game. Seriously impressed by Kimmich as a CB.
This is a great game to watch. Expected Bayern to have the upper hand though, very surprised at how Dortmund have controlled proceedings for the most part.
This has been a great game so far. Tactically on point even if some of the touches in the final phases are falling short individually. Superb 0-0 thus far.
What a brilliant first half. Two teams with really interesting set ups tactically. Muller and Costa missed sitters, Reus was awful in front of goal with a few half chances for Robben, Lewandoski, Durm and Auba. The pressing from both sides is the best aspect of the game, not just the pace and energy, but the set ups and traps each sides set. The intensity is more like an Arsenal vs United match 15 years ago. Really enjoyable game so far , but it's always hard to bet against Bayern.
I find it interesting that you can't read for shit.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's an extremely flawed line of logic that if you don't have your top names in the league thrashing everyone else, it is a poor league.

Someone mentioned that it is no surprise that the level of increased competition in the PL makes it the most viewed league in the world, despite the giants playing in other leagues. I doubt all of that is due to the supa dupa PL marketing.
That's the thing. It's such an infantile and ridiculously simple minded logic I feel like I'm going mad when I see people parroting that opinion.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
they would win it with even more points.. barca plays city and arsenal away, and usually win easily, even squandering chances and chances
But if Manchester United and Barcelona swapped places, that wouldn't make the PL better. Would it? It would just mean we had a world class team in the PL, and 19 other sods competiting for 2nd through 4th place.

Sarni

Banega or Krychowiak? They have no PL experience so they are utterly terribly shite idiots.

bucky

You missed the fun where he actually lined up 12 players (still featuring for 'Mains' as he called them) for Sevilla.

Hasn't got a clue obviously. The leeway he has in wumming is beyond my understanding right now.
:lol:

Did you see the bit where I said I just shoehorned in the 11 who have played the most this season? They're pretty much the 16 top appearance makers.
Oh, apologies. Do you know who Sevilla's best player is?

JPRouve

Scout

Someone mentioned that it is no surprise that the level of increased competition in the PL makes it the most viewed league in the world, despite the giants playing in other leagues. I doubt all of that is due to the supa dupa PL marketing. It's good that no points are guaranteed, and that Leicester can take advantage of the laxness of other teams and be top. Long may that continue.

Disclaimer: I do think the general level of play in La Liga is the best in the world currently. It's just a shame that the likes of Sevilla et al so sucked off on here, can't break into the top 3 and mount geniune challenges. I'm not buying the "Barcelona and Real are so much better" either. Barcelona is on another level, but Atletico and Real aren't invincible.
Atletico or Real Madrid aren't invincible but you are not going to beat them often, because it requires to bring your "A" game. You are badly underestimating their level.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Yes the Premier League is the best, with the mighty Leicester City topping the league.