The right winger market…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Best position through the middle/as a 10? I think he started out on the right for OL, right? Probably to integrate him into senior football.
Indeed, he’s a natural 10. Lacks the explosiveness for the wing, and his ambidexterity is also a huge asset centrally. He could play nominally from the right though, similarly to how Bernardo Silva does.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Indeed, he’s a natural 10. Lacks the explosiveness for the wing, and his ambidexterity is also a huge asset centrally. He could play nominally from the right though, similarly to how Bernardo Silva does.
Yeah, i was thinking B Silva as possibly a close template to what you'd get on the wing. I know Chelsea's been linked to Cherki over the last transfer window.

OleGunnar20

I’ve not seen much really in Pellistri that says he could be a significant contributor for a club with Utd’s aims. I bet he’ll be at Girona in a couple of years, doing pretty good. Amad, on the other hand, is clearly very talented indeed, and I think you can’t understate the importance of him having such a successful loan spell at Sunderland last season. He made himself first choice pretty quickly, and largely maintained his levels, in a team hamstrung by injuries. It would have been a difficult and very physical learning curve for him, and he excelled there.
Agreed all round really.

I like Pellistri's direct style, he's a bit of a throwback and offers something different. Quality wise he looks more likely to fail than not, similar to Elanga, but you never know with young players. They can surprise you.

Amad looks like a gem. My only worry would be how he'd mesh with a midfield of Bruno & Mount, if that is ETH's plan going forward. At Sunderland he was often dropping into the space to dictate and looked great doing so. I'm not sure that space would be there in our team, but I'm no tactical wizz.

I think Chiesa pre injury would be a brilliant fit. I've not watched him since that setback though so not idea if he's still got the pace and directness he did.

DevTheRed

I think a few people have mentioned this but I’d love to see Garnacho play there as an old style direct, ‘get to the byline’ winger.

Think it would be good for balance to have Rashford cutting inside, Garnacho staying wide and Højlund in the middle.

Crashoutcassius

I think this thread may have more to do with reasons beyond natural talent/cost as to why those options may not be possible going forward.
Cost is linked to talent and if the talent is there we should be able to get something out of them. Sancho played in a high press / transition based team in Germany and put up numbers second only to Messi and ronaldo. Ten hag knows Antony's game. If he can't get something out of them then rather than spending 100m on another we should wait til he is fired and invest in the next managers vision.

Crashoutcassius

Huh? He’s scored 8 goals since he signed.
Ye he doesn't get the opportunity to do it much because he is so one dimensional, because our attacking play is so poor and we have very little overlap threat but he is absolutely brilliant at it. If he doesn't score he forces a big save or comes very close. Rarely is it not a dangerous moment.

RedUnited86

Ye he doesn't get the opportunity to do it much because he is so one dimensional, because our attacking play is so poor and we have very little overlap threat but he is absolutely brilliant at it. If he doesn't score he forces a big save or comes very close. Rarely is it not a dangerous moment.
Talking out of your arse.

spiriticon

At this point I'll just go with anybody with a sensible head on their shoulders, willing to work hard and don't have a tendency to beat up other humans.

Bring back Dan James, I was wrong.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Cost is linked to talent and if the talent is there we should be able to get something out of them. Sancho played in a high press / transition based team in Germany and put up numbers second only to Messi and ronaldo. Ten hag knows Antony's game. If he can't get something out of them then rather than spending 100m on another we should wait til he is fired and invest in the next managers vision.
Yes, but there is a scenario where neither player is available due to the off-field situations concerning both. In which case we may have to re-enter the market in Jan/next summer regardless of the amount spent in recent years.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At one point left wingers seemed a tiny pool to pick from.
These days it's right wingers due to the obsession with cutting in.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At one point left wingers seemed a tiny pool to pick from.
These days it's right wingers due to the obsession with cutting in.
The common denominator is that left footed wide men are in shorter supply than right footed ones. Once upon a time left footed meant left winger, now it means right.

marktan

The market is very dry and the competition will get tougher. Salah is getting older and maybe headed for Saudi so Liverpool will be in the market too. Real don't have a left footed RW either. Arsenal are very lucky to have Saka.

City signed Doku who based on some highlights looks very explosive. Not sure if he's good or not though.

Personally of those I know of I'd happily have taken O.Dembele. Guy makes it look easy.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The market is very dry and the competition will get tougher. Salah is getting older and maybe headed for Saudi so Liverpool will be in the market too. Real don't have a left footed RW either. Arsenal are very lucky to have Saka.

City signed Doku who based on some highlights looks very explosive. Not sure if he's good or not though.

Personally of those I know of I'd happily have taken O.Dembele. Guy makes it look easy.
Real have Rodrygo.

Generally, you do make a good point though, and it seems likely/logical that a shortage in top class lefties will see football return to more traditional right wingers in time. It also ties in with a gradual trending towards more traditional 9s, which would be compatible with a traditional right winger who can create.

miked99

In the last 15 years, Nani is still the standout RW we've had.

Same good options in the thread, but who are we kidding, the RW spot is cursed.
Top-level Nani was one of the best, and most creative players I've ever seen wear the shirt.

Other levels were available - in fact he is hands down the most frustrating player I've ever seen. But the amount of good things he did, jesus we'd kill for a quarter of that contribution in recent seasons.

GlasgowCeltic

Madrid signed Arda Guler who is a lefty and will presumably play off the right

luke511

We’ve spent around 200 mil for 4 RWs and still can’t solve the issue.
I think we were on track to solving the issue before spending over £150 million on Sancho and Antony. Unfortunately for us we have an incompetent DoF that bows down to the manager’s demands.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I think Solly March for £75-£80m would be good business for you, but I suspect he isn’t fashionable or exotic enough to set pulses racing.

RedorDead21

The de ja vu thread. We have had this thread ever since Valencia and Nani stopped playing RW.
Nani was booed off by the more patient match going fans and Valencia also on this forum wasn’t good enough for the wing so way way before them…

Care_de_Bobo

I think Solly March for £75-£80m would be good business for you, but I suspect he isn’t fashionable or exotic enough to set pulses racing.
Would be terrible business for a 29 year old whose best goal return in a PL season is 7. That's only one more than the much maligned Sancho managed last season and he'd need replacing in a year or two.

He also missed in 2 separate shootouts last season as Brighton got dumped out the the two domestic cups. That kind of thing might go unnoticed at a club like Brighton, but he'd be torn apart for it by the media and fans playing for United. The pressure is a different level entirely.

caid

Thats a very steep price. He's a good player, not convinced he's much more than that and we have a lot of good players.
I think if we were doing anything we'd be looking to do it at a lower price so any premier league transfer looks doubtful to me.

Borussia Teeth

Real have Rodrygo.

Generally, you do make a good point though, and it seems likely/logical that a shortage in top class lefties will see football return to more traditional right wingers in time. It also ties in with a gradual trending towards more traditional 9s, which would be compatible with a traditional right winger who can create.
Rodrygo is right footed

Valencia Shin Crosses

I basically want us to get whatever the RW version of Garnacho is that we can find. I really like Amad and have high hopes, but as far as profiles go I'd love to have another burner for the right side of that attack if we are going to commit to Rashy and Rasmus as the other two. Might as well be terrifying on the break.

And by "RW Garnacho" I mean someone who has searing pace and is an aggressive take on artist. Doesn't have to be a 100m rate wonderkid obviously just that type of profile

jesperjaap

I think at th emoment if Antony and Sancho are not playing we need to give some opportunities to Pellestri and Amad.

I do wonder if all these people mentioning Amad even watched him on loan at SUnderland though? SOmeone who can dribble and go past players.....he is certainly talented but he isnt that type of player at all.For all his ability I do worry about his lack of pacea and size. Bit strange people slating Antony and lauding Amad when he is a pretty simialr profile of player without the tricks and phsyicality, though his consistency of final ball looks better.

If e are to mention other names and afte rwhat I have just said, this may be a strange one as he is tiny too. But I watchd a preseaosn game with Brigton and I think in a few months time Adringa will be gettign a lot of plaudits, super skillful, nimble, quick and he looks so calm in the final third as well, think they have another very special youngster there

luke511

I basically want us to get whatever the RW version of Garnacho is that we can find. I really like Amad and have high hopes, but as far as profiles go I'd love to have another burner for the right side of that attack if we are going to commit to Rashy and Rasmus as the other two. Might as well be terrifying on the break.

And by "RW Garnacho" I mean someone who has searing pace and is an aggressive take on artist. Doesn't have to be a 100m rate wonderkid obviously just that type of profile
Pellistri then, he looks as fast as Garnacho with the ball at his feet.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Yeremy Pino looks like a player who can actually beat a man with his dribbles, unlike Antony
Yeremi Pino has been quite irregular for a year and a half. Villarreal wanted to transfer him for approximately €40M.

FerociousCorgis

do people really want us spending money on the RW spot right now when we literally ended the last game with fecking Evans/Maguire CB partnership? Swear people are mental and lack any critical thinking skills sometimes. Amad/Pellistri/whatever the hell sancho does moving forward is plenty to roll with if it comes to that for now.