Television The Shield

zain

Believe
Right, So i've started watching this show from scratch...
Done the first season, and just finished the 4th episode of the 2nd season..
Have to say, love it.. Love "Vick"'s character so far..

No matter what he does, you really can't completely hate him..

Without anyone posting any spoilers in this thread about the show, I hope someone over here can tell me if it only improves from where I am?

Steev

I just started watching it from scratch too - never saw it before. It's better than I thought it would be. Moves along at a fair pace so it doesn't get boring.

I've just got to the end of series 3 and it's been consistently good so far.

waterglow

Terrific show, never has had a weak season. Hit new heights when Forrest Whittiker came into the show.

Vic is obviously awesome, but Dutch is definitely the character I'm most compelled to. Has some awesome scenes and story lines, and you genuinely root for him. I'd post my favorite Dutch moment, as it happened in either season 1 or 2, but I won't in case it spoils it for you.

francobaresi

I've never seen it, but I've got series 1 and 2 to watch on DVD, when I finally get round to it.

It'll have to wait though, as I'm half way through series 1 of The Wire

redmanc

I've been waiting for the final season for fecking ages now, it was supposed to be being aired in January, then April, now rumors have its going to be out in September. It was one of few shows affected by the writers strike and yet is now being put back another 5 months for some fecking reason, cnuts.

Oh and as much as i love the show;

gets better

vic mackey > jack bauer
Don't be silly, Jack would have Vic screaming like a little bitch in seconds.

Nearco

youth team player
The final, seventh season has just started in the States. Torrents ahoy:devil:

Up until season six this show got better every year. I kind of thing they were just putting everything in place for a rip roaring finale last year. Should be excellent.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
So what do say so far on the first episodes of the final season?

The first two began somehow creepy, but the next ones (3rd and 4th)....yeah it really started to have some balls.

redmanc

Its lived up to its long wait as far as i'm concerned. I love this TV show nearly as much as 24.

The story so far is pretty good as as well, i wont ruin it for anyone else by talking about it like!

Name Changed

weso26
This is an absolutely brilliant programme. That and 24 are my two favourites. Vic is a quality character. I wish they were going to do a lot more series.

kps88

I started watching this recently as well on the recomendation of the Cafe and its brilliant.

On the first ep of season 4 right now which is the only time I've felt the pace drop so far.

Giggsy PO

This is going to be a grandiose final... What a show...

Yianni

Anyone see the latest episode?

Unbelievable, mind blowing, edge of the seat stuff.

The show has just changed completely from here on end.

I won't say too much until more people have had the chance to see it.

redmanc

Wow, what a fecking episode!!!!!

7x12 is quite possibly one of the best episodes the shield has done without more thna a couple of bullets being fired.

Can't wait for the final one :D

Yianni

Wow, what a fecking episode!!!!!

7x12 is quite possibly one of the best episodes the shield has done without more thna a couple of bullets being fired.

Can't wait for the final one :D
My thoughts exactly.

I can't help but feel that episode is the start to a whole new shield. I'll elaborate more on that point when more people watch the episode.

Is there going to be a season 8?

redmanc

I think this will be the final season, i think it will be best for it as well, to much water under the bridge so to speak.

With regards to "what happened" i still think theres a twist or two to come yet :)

Giggsy PO

I thought you guys were overreacting but what an episode. What a moment when Vic asked about the capacity of recording device.

twitter thread suggester
Is there going to be a season 8?
Nope, this is the last season - only one episode left of the entire series.
I have never looked as much forward to a series finale as I am with this one.

It's definitely one of the best shows of the decade in my opinion.

redmanc

Well its finished.

Sad ending really but i think they went about it the right way and theres always the option for more at a push!

I will leave it a while before posting any episode specific comments so not to spoil it.

twitter thread suggester
Can't believe it's over.

What a show and what an intense ending. I still haven't quite gotten my head around it, and even though I might have wished for a different and more emotionally satisfying ending, then I can't imagine them having done a better job and capturing all the right feelings than they did - it was the essence of The Shield and the end of the journey, just like it was supposed to be - everything we've watched over the last 7 years has been leading up to this.

Definitely on par with the Sopranos and The Wire as my favourite shows of all time.

redmanc

The ending really hit me hard for some weird reason, the emotion felt in what i saw was quite worrying, especially with Shanes scenario. Need a few more days to pass so we can start talking about it properly.

Sad its finished but cracking way to do it.

Giggsy PO

:(

The best TV show ever. None TV show made me breathless bar The Shield. I think it's the right time to change my location which I have there since what Shane did to Lem.

Red_Molly

Fabulous show I've only seen on TV. This reminds me I'll have to add the box sets to my xmas list.

Adebesi

Just finished series 7.

The ending blew me away. Agree with what you said, Top.

The penultimate episode was absolutely cracking. The last one nearly as good. So intense. Will really miss this show - far more than The Wire. The last time I felt so gloomy about something ending was Oz, but I think The Shield might edge it.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
hah simon you let me down!
Im on my way to collecting all the Oz boxset i have season 1 & 2 so far 3 & 4 are coming this week and 5 & 6 next week.

I saw an episode of the shield where these guys capture a cop and force him to give them blow jobs and it ends with him brushing his teeth profusely

Adebesi

Would it be possible to have all memories of The Shield removed from my brain so that I could go back and watch the whole thing again as though for the first time?

Does anyone out there have the technology? I am willing to be used as a guinea pig.

This must be how it feels when a marriage or long term relationship breaks down. Every morning I wake up hoping it will get easier but it doesnt.

I miss Vic.

zain

Believe
I just finished watching the last season and the season finalé tonight..

Just want to say, As awesome as the ending was, I just didn't agree on one thing though. Vic letting Ronnie down, that was extremely out of character, and if it's one thing that Vic had, it was being true to his friends or those who've helped him out. Besides that, the ending was brilliant.....

What a show.

Adebesi

Just want to say, As awesome as the ending was, I just didn't agree on one thing though. Vic letting Ronnie down, that was extremely out of character, and if it's one thing that Vic had, it was being true to his friends or those who've helped him out. Besides that, the ending was brilliant.....

What a show.
Yes but Corinne put him in an impossible situation.

You are right that he wouldnt feck him over in any other circumstances. But I think they made it believable.

Nearco

youth team player
Would it be possible to have all memories of The Shield removed from my brain so that I could go back and watch the whole thing again as though for the first time?

Does anyone out there have the technology? I am willing to be used as a guinea pig.

This must be how it feels when a marriage or long term relationship breaks down. Every morning I wake up hoping it will get easier but it doesnt.

I miss Vic.
Same here. Although Season 5s ending was far more gut wrenching.

Adebesi

Same here. Although Season 5s ending was far more gut wrenching.
Agreed.

To be clear, I am not going to eradicate just my memories of the last season. Ill eradicate the whole show. And pack the wife and kid off to the in-laws for a week.

Lem dying and Aceveda getting raped: the two most compelling bits of TV I can think of.

Adebesi

What a show.
I did feel the same way as you though when I first saw it, I had to think for a good 48 hours about it and decide how I felt about the ending from a bealievability perspective (in terms of tone I thought it got it exactly right instantly). I thought about how loyal Vic was and how unlikely it was he would have done that to Ronnie but then I realised he would have gone down himself in Ronnie’s place if that was an option, but when it came to Corinne and the kids, everything else always came runner-up. In that sense the actions are consistent with Vic’s character.

A friend of mine finished the last series this week so I had a chat with him about it - which is why I thought to bump this thread. He felt the idea that Ronnie was going to be sold out was building from an early stage in the series. He said Ronnie was always weak and trusted Vic too much. The whole business about Ronnie running the strike team, though in practise Vic carried on calling the shots, alerted him to the way it panned out. I found that interesting because I didn’t interpret it that was at all, it just made them all the closer and the betrayal all the more stark in my view. I thought Ronnie might come unstuck but I didn’t foresee the intent on Vic’s part.