Television The Shield

Decotron

I remember thinking you were all spastics for watching this, then I became worried that there seem to be many level-headed spastics who for some reason watch this garbage.

Then I watched it and understood. Going to have to start it again now.

If you get by the first 3 seasons its class. Anyone I know that didnt like it gave up in the 1st or 2nd season.

vuc

First Team Serb
I just finished watching this after a few years gap.

I had watched 1-3 then stopped after that, not because it wasn't any good but because the DVD supply had run out..

Anyway, it's up there with the best TV I have watched, almost as good as the Wire in some parts.

Jack Bauer would feck up Mackey though, there should be no debate.

kps88

Same here. I'm currently on season 4 in my second watch through. Thought I'd go through it slowly but once I started I was hooked.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Well behind but just watched seasons 1-7 within the last couple of months. Jesus, series finale was something else. Maybe the best I have seen

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Well behind but just watched seasons 1-7 within the last couple of months. Jesus, series finale was something else. Maybe the best I have seen
This series made me seriously think about lots of stuff.The true meaning of friendship and all, the way the strike team evolved from season 1 to 7 is scaring.Your best friend can literally become your worst enemy

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Just started watching this a few weeks ago and its pretty good.

I'm on season 3 now but I'm not quite enjoying this season. Does it get better??

kps88

I hate people who are seeing the show for the first time. Lucky bastards.

Bear Attack

Haha if you think its great so far you're gona cream yourself at the rest of it!
Oh my god. I took a break from The Shield but I started watching again and I'm now on season five. The shit just hit the fan. If you are going to tell me that it gets even better, I am seriously going to shoot myself.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
My opinion differs from majority on this.

I though it was very solid and well written for first 3-4 seasons. The 5 and 6th one had some major events that kept in interesting but weekly episode were some what montonous. The Whitaker character never worked me on any level.

Having said that, the last stretch was superb. In fact every show can learn from Shield as to how to properly end a series. In terms of closure, the finale was simply the best of any show I have seen til date.

Bear Attack

I'm on the final season now. Yeah, Forrest Whittaker was a brilliant character. I was on the edge of my seat during the fifth season.

By the way, does anybody really hate Mara? I just can't stand her. I hate her more than Skyler from Breaking Bad, which is saying something.

Hellboy

Best tv show ever. Watched it ages ago, and rewatching it at the moment, it´s truly amazing. No wonder I have big difficulties in watching some of the latest hyped TV shows. It doesnt get any better than this. I really envy those who havent seen it. Thanks Shaun Ryan.

Name Changed

weso26
Best tv show ever. Watched it ages ago, and rewatching it at the moment, it´s truly amazing. No wonder I have big difficulties in watching some of the latest hyped TV shows. It doesnt get any better than this. I really envy those who havent seen it. Thanks Shaun Ryan.
Superb. I wouldn't have it number 1 myself but definitely top 5. Mackey is a brilliant character.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Watched the first two episodes on the plane yesterday and wasn't fussed at all, it all just seems a bit ridiculous. Does the entire show revolve around Vic Mackey? He just seems to be a more abrasive version of Hank from Breaking Bad and that to me doesn't make a great central character at all. Everything's just so hilariously macho.

Are there people here that love the Shield but didn't like 24? Can't decide whether to stick with it.

Hellboy

Watched the first two episodes on the plane yesterday and wasn't fussed at all, it all just seems a bit ridiculous. Does the entire show revolve around Vic Mackey? He just seems to be a more abrasive version of Hank from Breaking Bad and that to me doesn't make a great central character at all. Everything's just so hilariously macho.

Are there people here that love the Shield but didn't like 24? Can't decide whether to stick with it.
Read the thread, the first two seasons are still quite good, but the show gains momentum in the fourth season. From then it's one of the best things ever.

Shane Vendrell's story towards the end was one the highlights for me. Truly epic.

kouroux

I'm on the final season now. Yeah, Forrest Whittaker was a brilliant character. I was on the edge of my seat during the fifth season.

By the way, does anybody really hate Mara? I just can't stand her. I hate her more than Skyler from Breaking Bad, which is saying something.
Every great show has got to have its fair share of annoying wags.Nobody has gotten close to Carmela Soprano's level of annoyance for me, each time her face would appear on screen I'd be tempted to skip the scene.Luckily a lot of those scenes included Tony.Loves how he puts her back in her place at 03:43

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why do you not value the opinion of those who also enjoyed 24?
It just seemed to be the case in this thread that those who loved this show all loved 24 so I was just wondering whether that was a coincidence or whether it appeals to the same kind of people. I can see the appeal of the non-stop, full-throttle, all-action shows like 24 but for me that's the entire appeal of 24 - the pace and the action - and that doesn't really do it for me. I was under the impression The Shield was a different kind of show entirely and I really looked forward to getting into it but I didn't really get it. As Adebesi says:

Never takes its foot off the gas, this show. Full throttle all the way.
So after reading this thread I began to wonder is this the main appeal of the show in the same way it is for 24. I wanted to see if you can find that kind of non-stop, all-action pace a bit tiresome but still enjoy The Shield.

Read the thread, the first two seasons are still quite good, but the show gains momentum in the fourth season. From then it's one of the best things ever.

Shane Vendrell's story towards the end was one the highlights for me. Truly epic.
Well yeah I've no doubt it gets better as you grow more attached to the characters like any other good series.

kps88

It's different to other acclaimed dramas that tend to be slower paced and more realistic. I guess you were expecting that.

Oh and 24 is quite rubbish when compared to The Shield.

kouroux

I liked 24 up until they killed off David Palmer.I liked The Shield for different reasons, I cannot compare the two because one (The Shield) is just that much better in almost every aspect than the other.

Danillaco

It's definetly on Top 3, but behind The Wire (#1) and Breaking Bad(#2) for me.

Superb. I wouldn't have it number 1 myself but definitely top 5. Mackey is a brilliant character.
This.

Brilliant show. The finale is perhaps the best of any other finale ever
That spot belongs forever to Six Feet Under. That last episode was great, but the last 6 minutes was one of the best things in TV history. Breath taking, tear inducing moments with Breath Me from SIA.

izzydiggler

I loved the series - my brother said it was so intense that multiple episode watching made him feel angry :lol:

Vendrell's last few scenes was just incredible TV - almost numbing.

elisha27

So after reading this thread I began to wonder is this the main appeal of the show in the same way it is for 24. I wanted to see if you can find that kind of non-stop, all-action pace a bit tiresome but still enjoy The Shield.
Well yeah I've no doubt it gets better as you grow more attached to the characters like any other good series.
The Shield is not like 24. 24 was write-it-as-you-go network nonsense that could, at times, be incredibly entertaining but was throwaway nonetheless.

The Shield becomes the most intense TV show I've seen, wrought with compelling plotting and scenes during which you daren't even breathe while watching. Its fifth season is one of the best seasons of TV ever made. I'd say the seasons rank 5 > 7 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 6 > 1. If you're a fan of Breaking Bad, this show will be sitting in your top 2 - 3 shows come its end.

Goooose

Just watched the first 3 episodes and I like what I've seen so far, not going to read this thread though due to spoilers. Eight season like, so it's going to take me a while.

JohnLocke

I've said it many a time, but this is my favourite TV show ever. It's not the best in some aspects (realism) but it is seriously entertaining and the final season is the best of any show I've seen. And to be honest I would find it hard to believe that it could be beaten.

Massive spoliers:

The letter than Shane wrote when he killed himself, Maura, his kid and unborn child was heart wrenching.

Letter:
"I guess enough painkillers can make even the worst kind of hurt go away. The thing you need to know is that Mara was innocent and Jackson was innocent. They didn't know what they were drinking and their last moments together were happy ones. They left the way I first found them, perfect and innocent. They were innocent and they're in heaven now and we'll always be a family. The guilty ones are me and Vic. Vic led, but I kept following. I don't think one's worse than the other, but we made each other into something worse than our individual selves. I wish I'd never met him. I see it all now. There's no apologies I can make, no explanations I can give, I was who I was and I can't be that person any more. I can't let myself..."

Vic getting "off the hook" for all of his atrocities, but losing his job in the field and losing his family, that he did a lot of bad shit to provide for. And selling his only true friend (Ronnie) down the river to get himself off the hook was a low blow, but at that point there was little else he could do to try and save himself. But, now that he's saved he has nothing to live for.

Also Shane killing Lem at the end of one of the previous seasons was great TV.

How you can have a better ending than that I don't know.

wr8_utd

:'(
Q. Do you think a Shield movie would ever happen at this point or did the series end so nicely that you wouldn’t want to touch it again?

Chiklis: Hell no, I’d love to do it. Ask Fox, please. This is the single most asked question of me. It’s only since 2008 and I’m going to say over ten thousand times asked. So, forgive me if I want to strangle you right now. I’m teasing obviously but it’s just that Shawn (Ryan) has a phenomenal idea to move forward with it, but part of it is our availability. We’re both very busy. Part of it is Fox and changes over there. We’ll see. It’s possible. But I don’t know.

JohnLocke

I hope they leave it alone. It was great as it was without some over-hyped piece of crap film ruining everything. I may sound pessimistic but that's what will happen if they try to re-do it.

It was 7 seasons, and for most shows that is one or two too many already, but to try and make a 2 hour add-on film will certainly destroy it.