Television The Shield

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
I daresay the best ending of any show (I loved the final scene in The Sopranos, but was underwhelmed by the final episode; The Wire disappointed throughout its final season; and I thought Breaking Bad's final episode was awful.)
Annoying thing is that it was clearly within their grasp to do a hell of a lot more with the finale than they actually did. They could've hit the hard as The Shield's ending did if they'd really wanted to, but the whole atmosphere seemed light-hearted and Hollywood-ish at times. There was basically nothing to Walt's death, for feck's sake! I remember reading that there was something clever about the lyrics of the song used, but why on earth would you rest the impact of that scene on something like that?! It should've been powerful, tragic, or something else. They could've left us thinking "yep, take that you fecking wanker" at least, though that would've taken a different preceding episode to pull off. Anything though...the finale was such a shame given what it could've been.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/was-the-breaking-bad-finale-all-just-a-fantasy-in-walter-whi

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Reached season 7 and I just stopped watching. I have watched every other show under the sun, I can't bring myself to finish it.

JaffyJoe

I don't know, it just seems like a chore all of a sudden.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I know what you mean with The Shield at some points but it really is worth persisting during that last stetch, JaffyJoe. I had a pretty big period during season 3 and 4 whereby I was watching just because I'd started, but the ending makes the whole thing worthwhile.

JaffyJoe

I know what you mean with The Shield at some points but it really is worth persisting during that last stetch, JaffyJoe. I had a pretty big period during season 3 and 4 whereby I was watching just because I'd started, but the ending makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Thanks just saw this, I will soldier on due to your recommendation.

JaffyJoe

On the last two episodes, the first two episodes of the 7th were a bit mehh for me and that put me off but I watched the next two and it got much better. I just can't wait to see how it ends for Vic

p.s Can't stand Acevada

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
On the last two episodes, the first two episodes of the 7th were a bit mehh for me and that put me off but I watched the next two and it got much better. I just can't wait to see how it ends for Vic

p.s Can't stand Acevada
Abit harsh what they put him thru, but just like any other characters, you can't really hate / like them.

That's the beauty of it, it's just a character you root (even though they're plain wrong)

JaffyJoe

Completed, good finale. I felt sorry for Lenny and Vick and Shane and .........

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
I wonder what will happen first - United to win EPL/CL again or Bluray 4K remastered version of The Shield to be released.

What is taking so long...:(

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Pretty sure it was filmed in 4:3.

But if they can get The Wire to Blu-Ray...
The Wire is on Blu-Ray already. ;)

The point is they announced The Shield conversion several times...but still without result.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The latest update on the 4k release.

Can't fecking wait to re-watch the Shield in 4K. Such an underrated TV show.

lsd

The Oracle
Could never get into it . Just didn't see the point of watching this when you could watch The Wire

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I want some critical reviews on this from "The Wire" fans.
I love "The Wire" but "The Shield" is just more engaging and heartbreaking at the same time. In my Mt Rushmore of TV shows for sure. The way the first episode 1 of Season 1 ended, I was truly shocked and the way it all ended, I felt kinda disgusted.
Definitely planning to rewatch again now

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I saw a few sessions of this and enjoyed them. Lots of scenes where the main guy kicks in a door :lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They're just very different. Probably the best description for The Shield is breathless, which even in the most dramatic moments The Wire never was and few series' are so consistently. It's loud, frantic and in your face, practically all the time. The Wire is the polar opposite of that. The Wire's in a different league altogether for me, but for fans of breathless, all-action stuff, I'd be surprised if there's anything better than the Shield. Has one of the best "anti-heroes" too.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
They're just very different. Probably the best description for The Shield is breathless, which even in the most dramatic moments The Wire never was and few series' are so consistently. It's loud, frantic and in your face, practically all the time. The Wire is the polar opposite of that. The Wire's in a different league altogether for me, but for fans of breathless, all-action stuff, I'd be surprised if there's anything better than the Shield. Has one of the best "anti-heroes" too.
There hasn't been for me and I've looking for shows like that. "Chicago PD" reminds me of it but it's nowherenear brutal and verbal as "The Shield" even if the lead character does a good job.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Just finished this and feel emotionally battered. For a series that thrived on throwing obstacles in front of its protagonists, it wrapped everything up brilliantly. It's quite a feat to pull all that madness and disorder together in a satisfying way but they actually managed it.

Great stuff.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I loved the shield but feel like im the only person in the world who didnt get into the wire?

Also I can not watch it without referring to Aceveda as Ass invader?

lsd

The Oracle
I loved the shield but feel like im the only person in the world who didnt get into the wire?

That's because the Wire is for grown ups while The Shield is for kids

djdhrubs

It's not like The Wire. Well, unless you say that both are gritty urban crime dramas, but that's it. I'd say it's more brutal and grimy than The Wire. I'd say it's more unrealistic, though deliberately so. Like others have said, it has a much better ending than The Wire, where the final season was probably the weakest. As pure entertainment, it works better than The Wire, where you have to stick with things to get into it.

It has a much grimmer view of people than The Wire. By the end of it, you'll think LA is a much worse cesspit than Baltimore, and than human beings are pretty awful. Haha.

Sylar

:lol: Nope, as childish as it is, thats what I always used to call him.
Did feel sorry for him in that one scene :nervous:

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
This thread reminded me of the show and how great it was. Annoyingly, it seems I can’t watch it anywhere.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
That's because the Wire is for grown ups while The Shield is for kids
It's a lazy comparison purely because they both have cops and gangsters. The Shield is frantic, entertaining TV about corrupt cops while The Wire is an ambitious, complex study of a city. They're chalk and cheese.

This thread reminded me of the show and how great it was. Annoyingly, it seems I can’t watch it anywhere.
If you're in the UK it's on All4.